1 (edited by Ges 2007-04-05 17:07:07)

Topic: Belgium

We've had a few posts about Antwerp recently.

NO !!
DON'T START THAT AGAIN !!

There seems to be a general few jokes about what a boring place Belgium is (or is it just in my country ??).

Just want to say that I have been a few times there (Brussels, Antwerp, Ghent, Brugge, Leuven) and it is one of the nicest places I have been to.
Friendly people, some fantastic architecture, loads of music, excellent beer with a huge range of different types, fantastic chocolate and it's where I discovered Joe (Antwerp actually wink).

If you guys from the US ever visit Europe, don't miss it.

Where else in the world is not to miss ?

Re: Belgium

I think it's safe to say that Belgium does fly a little under the radar here in the U.S. Most people here probably think of Belgian waffles and that's it. But I think Belgium is actually the origin of most Americans favorite side dish - French fries.
Belgian chocolate is probably the best in the world and their beer is as great as it is unique.
It sounds like my kind of place, actually. If I ever get a chance to go back to Europe, I'll consider Belgium!

BTW, what language do they speak in Belgium?

3 (edited by the dude 2007-04-05 21:16:26)

Lee wrote:

I think it's safe to say that Belgium does fly a little under the radar here in the U.S. Most people here probably think of Belgian waffles and that's it. But I think Belgium is actually the origin of most Americans favorite side dish - French fries.
Belgian chocolate is probably the best in the world and their beer is as great as it is unique.
It sounds like my kind of place, actually. If I ever get a chance to go back to Europe, I'll consider Belgium!

BTW, what language do they speak in Belgium?

I believe in Belgium they speak French and Dutch, primarily.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgium

4 (edited by Marianne 2007-04-06 07:11:10)

That depends in what part of belgium you are.
Down (south) the speak french up north (vlaanderen) the speak Dutch. But most of them do speak some English.No matter where you are. At least in the big citys they do. Lots of tourists visit belgium (antwerp en brussel) every year.