Re: So I did one myself...

All my faves have been mentioned several times with one exception...

Steve Rothery from Marillion (Fish era). Man, he could make that thing SOAR! Very Gilmour-esque.

Devan wrote:

Heck, You could probably pick 100 great guitarists with just the name 'Steve' or 'Steven'...  wink

I'll start you off...

Steve Stevens (double points!  lol )
Steve Morse
Seasick Steve
Little Steven
Steve Vai
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Steve Miller
(carry on)

Steve Hunter who along with Dick Wagner gve us that awesome guitar work on Lou Reed's " Rock And Roll Animal".

Why don't we eliminate all the warning labels and let things sort themselves out?

xavier wrote:

My favourites:

1) Joe Bonamassa

Nothing has not already been said to say what an awe inspiring musician he is. If I hadn't come across Joe I would have probably given up guitar.

2) Eric Clapton (mostly Cream tracks)

Being an 11 year old kid at the time in, sitting on the living room floor in front of the TV, only now I'm 15 and realize what a life-changing moment it was to see the Cream Reunion Concert. For the first time I found music I liked and the person I wanted to be.

3) Jay Jesse Johnson

This guy is practically unknown and a very promosing musician he is. The heavy chorus tone he is able to get is truly magical, on tracks like 'Hear No Evil' and 'Blues For The Devil'.

4) Philip Sayce

Another almost unknown with an amazing repetoire. His first album has always been my favourite. Like SRV, his playing has energy and depth.

5) Gary Moore

One of the greatest guitar players of all time. A great master of the blues and rock. My favourite tracks are 'Midnight Blues' and 'Parisienne Walkway'.

I too am a big triple J fan.And you and I seem to have like minds when it comes to music!!!

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

Since Jimi and SRV on top 10 of your list how about a cover of VOODOO CHILD in the near future?

113 (edited by 16blue44 2012-05-22 13:04:07)

Interesting list to be sure... including Glenn Campbell of the "Wrecking Crew"

I really feel like Kenny Wayne Shepherd should be included... his cover of "Voodoo Child" is incredible  and just love his skill in general. 

Actually got into KWS before Joe but since seeing "Live at the Royal Albert Hall" on Paladia Channel on cable...have been listening to an awful lot of Joe B!!!!

Love your cover of Gary Moore's "Midnight Blues"... was the highlight of your show along with Young Man Blues, Blues Deluxe,  and Last Kiss.

I cannot stop listening to Midnight Blues!

114 (edited by 16blue44 2012-05-22 12:59:50)

Oh.... have seen a few of the people on your list....

Jimi Hendrix, Joe B 3 times, Gary Moore with Thin Lizzy, Brian May twice, not sure if Ted Neugent was on list but "Stranglehold" is an amazing tune!  maybe you should cover that one Joe???

Almost forgot Pete Townsend, and Mark Knoppfler.

16blue44 wrote:

Jimi Hendrix, Joe B 3 times, Gary Moore with Thin Lizzy, Brian May twice, not sure if Ted Neugent was on list but "Stranglehold" is an amazing tune!  maybe you should cover that one Joe???

Stranglehold is a classic - was playing the song the other day. Superb with the volume at high.

well here`s one from me.

Richie Blackmore
Jeff Beck
Eric Clapton
Jimmy Page
Tony Iommi
Grey Anderson
Kerry King
Dimebag Darrell
Steve Howe
Jimi Hendrix
Steve Hackett
leadbelly
B B King
Yngwie J. Malmsteen
and Joe...

its only realities rat race sucks...switch on MUSIC...
nerds, geeks, freaks and vinyl junkies...are the truthful ones!

Kenny wrote:
16blue44 wrote:

Stranglehold is a classic - was playing the song the other day. Superb with the volume at high.

The Chicago Blackhawks play Stranglehold when they first take the ice during warm-ups before every home game. It's the perfect song for that moment.

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

Loved reading through this post again.
Thought I would add some new ones .JDSimo,Brett Ellis and Walter Trout

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

Jason Becker all day long. All that he achieved in such a short amount of time is a testament to both his skills and ingenuity. He wrote and played/recorded songs while in his teens that even some of today's top guitarists have some level of difficulty mimicking. All you need to do is listen to his song Perpatual Burn.
No way of picking the absolute best of all-time but Jason Becker definitely belongs in the conversation.

"There's not much left for me to tell, I just got back up each time I fell"