Re: So I did one myself...

I agree with the Neil Schon addition. Another underrated guy: Neil "Spyder" Giraldo

38 (edited by oldgtarz 2011-11-25 10:46:50)

Awesome list but why isn't Derek Trucks on your list?  smile  I love his slide work! Especially on this tune> http://youtu.be/p2FUqRl-_Qo

I'd like to add Prince and Snowy White.

www.raysguitarstraps.com
'12 Teye La India Mora 2P, '10 Teye La India S 2P, '64 Fiesta Red Strat, '14 Les Paul CC#18, '14 Les Paul R0ltd, '13 Les Paul R7, '12 Les Paul CC#3, '07 Les Paul CR8 x2, '04 Les Paul R9, '65 Super Reverb, '93 Koch KC50dlx, JB Fuzzface #775

martymoffatt wrote:

Another one not mentioned so far is Neal Schon.  Although better known for Journey's corporate rock sound and 'that' song, his solo albums contain some of the most melodic guitar work you'll hear anywhere.

Good catch I should have remembered him too.His early Santana and his playing o the pre Perry Journey was killer

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

Coach305 wrote:

Donald Roeser (a.k.a. "Buck Dharma") - Blue Öyster Cult
Brad Paisley
Earl Klugh

solid nominations Coach, especially Earl Klugh. Although not a fan, would agree that Neil Schon should make the list. Throwing out some others, I would find it difficult to exclude Jeff Healey, Eddie Hazel, and Tom Morello.

Tres

As corn through a goose, so are the days of our lives

Coa cool ch305 wrote:

Donald Roeser (a.k.a. "Buck Dharma") - Blue Öyster Cult
Brad Paisley
Earl Klugh

Roeser!!!!!!!!! Cities On Flame!!!!!

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

JBonamassa wrote:

Kinda proves a point here...  There is no such thing a fully comprehensive list of the best 100...  Everybody can agree on the first 50 but the rest is pure taste.. 
Joe B

TRUTH!  yeah, you, Duke Robilard.

MuchSmoov
bjj fdol

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

I'd agree with all of that list pretty much...although would add-

Brian Setzer & Cliff Gallup (two awesome rockabilly players, I love the rockabilly style  cool )
Steve Gaines, Gary Rossington, Ed King, Allen Collins (Skynyrd was a breeding ground for awesome players  big_smile )
Scott Gorham, Brian Robertson
Joni Mitchell (pioneering and beautiful use of acoustic open tunings)

I may have missed some names (it was a long list!) but I assume Eric Johnson was on there somewhere...

Peace
James

'What's the use in gettin' sober......when you're gonna get drunk again' - Louis Jordan
Guitars - Gibson VOS R8 LP, Custom built Telecaster w/Bare Knuckle and Duncan pickups, 60's/70's Kay Tulip  (for slide)
Amps n ting -1966 Fender Deluxe Reverb, 1961 Gibson GA30 Invader, Fredric Effects Golden Eagle, Wampler Faux Analog Echo

The only surprise to me was that Schenker was not on your the list (yet).

So I would have to add:
Michael Schenker
Alex Lifeson
Zakk Wylde
Rod Price (no one plays a meaner slide)
Jerry Cantrell

Gibson 60th Anniversary 1959 Les Paul Reissue, Gibson LP Standard Faded CSB, Gibson Gary Moore LP Standard, Epi Joe Bonamassa GT LP, Epi Zakk Wylde LP, Dean Michael Schenker Flying V, Jackson Randy Rhoads V, ESP/LTD George Lynch Kamikaze, EVH Striped Series R/B/W, Fender/Squire John 5 Telecaster, Fender Joe Strummer Relic Telecaster

I can't believe that neither Joe nor anyone else has mentioned a(ny) lady player(s)!

Top of any list of major, important, great, stunning players must surely be The Goddess? I mean, come on. Where's Bonnie on any of these lists? Don't most agree that she's a wonderful (blues) slide player?

Just askin'.......  tongue

RIP Iron Man

Rock On and keep the Faith

Amsterhammer wrote:

I can't believe that neither Joe nor anyone else has mentioned a(ny) lady player(s)!

Top of any list of major, important, great, stunning players must surely be The Goddess? I mean, come on. Where's Bonnie on any of these lists? Don't most agree that she's a wonderful (blues) slide player?

Just askin'.......  tongue

She made the Rolling Stone list.

Think Green,

J Dawg

What is success? Is it do yo' own thang, or is it to join the rest?   -Allen Toussaint

James Davis wrote:

I'd agree with all of that list pretty much...although would add-

Brian Setzer & Cliff Gallup (two awesome rockabilly players, I love the rockabilly style  cool )
Steve Gaines, Gary Rossington, Ed King, Allen Collins (Skynyrd was a breeding ground for awesome players  big_smile )
Scott Gorham, Brian Robertson
Joni Mitchell (pioneering and beautiful use of acoustic open tunings)

I may have missed some names (it was a long list!) but I assume Eric Johnson was on there somewhere...

Peace
James

Couldn't agree more with the Skynyrd guys. The original 3, Ed, Gary, & Allen laid down some of Southern Rocks all-time classics. Ed wasn't the shredder like Gary & Allen, but I salute him for one gigantic effort, writing Sweet Home Alabama. Gary, Allen, & Steve was pure magic and Gary, Rickey Medlocke, & Hughie Thomasson were the best trio since the crash, not to mention Hughie's efforts with the Outlaws.

What Song Is It You Wanna Hear???

J Dawg

What is success? Is it do yo' own thang, or is it to join the rest?   -Allen Toussaint

Hi All

Nice thread

Thought someone might have mentioned:

Pete Townsend
David Gilmour
Randy Rhoads
Peter Frampton
Andy Power
Ted Turner
Laurie Wisefield
Mick Taylor

Regards to all

Jake E Lee, Ace Frehley, John Mayer, Trey Anastasio, Dave Mustaine

Great list Joe. Of course I want to add Frank Zappa too and Jan Akkerman from Dutch band Focus (how original can a band be). He is still on the road and isn't commercial, he does what he likes and is still brilliant. He had so many offers tp play in great bands, the Rolling Stones asked him but he does his own thing.
You know where I spot you.......

Interesting issue of Guitar Player this month.

Thats a much better list, but you should certainly be on it :-)

I may add Chet Atkins and this guy by the name of Joe Bonamassa. 
big_smile

"It's nice to be important but in the end it's important to be nice." - I'll be honest, I don't know who quoted this,  but I like it!
Lea  smile

ohiodawg13 wrote:

She made the Rolling Stone list.

Think Green,

J Dawg

I didn't actually work my way through their entire list.  hmm

At least Bonnie being there is a small plus. Was she the only woman?

RIP Iron Man

Rock On and keep the Faith