24      Southampton The Brook                 
25      London Under The Bridge       
26      Wolverhampton Robin 2                 
27      Derby Flower Pot                   
28      Sutton Boom Boom Club                 
30      Milton Keynes The Stables     

November

10 Carlisle Blues Rock Festival

"The recently formed Edinburgh Blues Club has identified an appetite for the personal communication between musicians and audience that the blues long ago perfected." The Herald Newspaper (Scotland)
http://www.edinburgh-blues.uk

Re: Royal Southern Brotherhood

Sutton smile

Thanks for this fantastic news, Duncan. smile

If anyone here hasn't yet caught RSB live don't miss at least one of these opportunities. You definitely won't regret it. Just read this thread and watch Pete's videos for a taster from their first foray to these shores. I shall be counting the days.

Phil

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

“The guy who has helped the blues industry the most is Joe Bonamassa and I would say he is more rock than some rock stuff, so to me blues is whatever you want it to be!”
Simon McBride in my interview with him in Blues Matters! Issue #56

Great news.

I'm already booked in for Sutton but might do Chelsea as well. RSB were amazing at the Jazz Cafe last November.

The Cluny - 21/9/13

RSB?  O.M.G!!!  Do you need anymore?

What a night that was! Not so much jaw dropping, but with Devon Allman's guitar in my left ear and Mike Zito's in my right and don't even get me started about Cyril Neville's vocals - blew the top of my head off. No, change that; add the $Million back line of Charlie Wooton and Yonrico Scott and they took my head clean off and blasted it into the sunset. These guys came to kick some butt, and they were wearing big boots! And that was the opening night of the UK leg of their current tour.

The set, naturally took the entire album, with at least one "solo" song, this time the title track from Cyril Neville's new album, Magic Honey. I'll admit, when I first heard the album, it didn't quite "gel" until several listens down the road, but "live" in your face; a very different matter; everything blended perfectly. The two-pronged attack of Devon's Gibson and Mike's slide and bottleneck were a joy to see and hear; three top notch vocalists of differing but complimentary styles, and THAT back line. The main set of just under 100 minutes flew by the first number already held a packed Cluny, but then an encore of a blistering Gimme Shelter sealed the deal, Newcastle's new favourite band.

If you missed them on their last visit; do yourself a huge favour - catch them this time round.

09/24/13   Southampton  The Brook United Kingdom
09/25/13   London  Under The Bridge United Kingdom
09/26/13   Wolverhampton  The Robin 2 United Kingdom
09/27/13   Derby  Flower Pot United Kingdom
09/28/13   Sutton  Boom Boom Club United Kingdom
09/30/13   Milton Keynes  The Stables United Kingdom
10/03/13   Paris  Divan du Monde France
10/04/13   Avignon  Avignon Blues Festival France
10/05/13   Clermont  La Cooperative France
10/06/13   Alencon  La Luciole France

10/11/13 -  10/13/13    Houma, LA  The Voice of the Wetlands Festival United States
10/18/13 -  10/25/13    Ft. Lauderdale, FL  The Legendary Rhythm and Blues Cruise United States
10/25/13   Boca Raton, FL  Funky Biscuit United States

10/31/13   London  Royal Albert Hall (Bluesfest London) United Kingdom
11/01/13   Umea  Umea Folkets Hus Sweden
11/02/13   Varnamo  Scandic Hotel Sweden
11/03/13   Stockholm  Akkurat Sweden
11/04/13   Kolding  Godset Denmark
11/05/13   Copenhagen  Portalen Sweden
11/07/13   Oslo  Buckleys Norway
11/08/13   Svendborg  Borgerforeningen Denmark
11/09/13   Esberg  Tobakken Denmark
11/10/13   Carlisle  Carlisle Blues Festival United Kingdom
11/12/13   Nurnberg  Hirsch Germany
11/13/13   Bonn  Harmonie Bonn Germany
11/14/13   Muhle  Hunziken Germany
11/15/13   Baden  Nordportal Switzerland
11/16/13   Winterbach  Lehenbachhalle Germany
11/18/13   Hamburg  Fabrik Germany
11/19/13   Bensheim  Rex Germany
11/20/13   Lindewerra  Gemeindesaal Germany
11/21/13   Dortmund  Piano Germany
11/22/13   Berlin  Quasimodo Germany
11/23/13   Hannover  Blues Garage Germany

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

They are rather good aren't they Mike smile ? A smaller audience in Edinburgh last night and a slightly different set list but they blew everyone away with their performance. A contender for a top 5 gig of the year for me. I thought London last year couldn't be bettered............. We all got a pick from Mike and Devon handed over a broken guitar string towards the end. A truly incredible show from very accomplished musicians.

Hope Phil and other Bonabuddies are going to London on Wednesday.

79 (edited by BansheeUK 2013-09-23 06:03:41)

That's an understatement Kenny. My mate "Baldy Bob" had just been down country and was raving about Eric Steckel; 3 RSB songs later and it was "Eric who?". Even Gary Grainger from Bishop FM was gobsmacked.

Got to thank Linda & John Valentine for looking after RSB on this tour, and for swinging them round these parts.

As for "gig of the year", well, first time seeing Ryan McGarvey, Hoax reunion, Heritage Blues Orchestra and now RSB - don't know which I'd pick, but so far its been a vintage year.

Kenny wrote:

Hope Phil and other Bonabuddies are going to London on Wednesday.

You bet, Kenny. After the Jazz Cafe gig last year I wouldn't want to miss their next trip to London. Pete, David and I will be down at the front of the stage as usual hoping to get some good funky/soul/rocking jam footage on video for everyone's edification. UTB is a great venue with superb sound so I'm really looking forward to it.

I've noticed Joe has a free night on the 25th. I wonder ....... wink

I agree with you Mike. Having seen Joe's Tour de Force, Ryan McGarvey and The Hoax it's been a good year, even though I haven't been to my usual number of shows.

Phil

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

“The guy who has helped the blues industry the most is Joe Bonamassa and I would say he is more rock than some rock stuff, so to me blues is whatever you want it to be!”
Simon McBride in my interview with him in Blues Matters! Issue #56

I was at the show at the Cluny (sorry I missed you Mike) as regretfully I was unable to make the Edinburgh show last night. Interestingly they played at least two different songs at the second show, so they are mixing it about between gigs.

Here's a review by someone else at the show at the Cluny as a taster:

Royal Southern Brotherhood / Mitch Laddie – Newcastle Cluny, Saturday 21st September 2013

There are many names in the world of music that rightfully hold legendary status, but when you have a band that contains names like Allman and Neville among it's ranks, you can be forgiven for being a little uncertain about how such greatness can shine without overshadowing their respective band mates. On a night when you could taste the anticipation in the room, a packed Cluny was soon to have that nagging doubt emphatically dismissed...

Opening the show tonight was the very talented Mitch Laddie, proving in half an hour that he is worthy of the praise being heaped upon this exciting young guitarist, his rhythm section locked in with the kind of timing you usually associate with a Swiss watch, new fans and old enjoying the irresistible hook lines of What Is Hip to name but one highlight in a short but sweet set.

As they filter through the crowded balcony area, I find it hard to believe that I am finally standing in the same room as a Neville and an Allman and actually catch myself doing a double take – surely this can't be a dream? - and as they emerge from the wings to a deafening roar, the expectation of what is to come raises the hairs on my neck. Without a doubt, this is one of the most interesting line-ups of any recent super-group, and the sheer depth of talent in the Royal Southern Brotherhood ranks immediately pays dividends...

It's unusual to see a percussionist up front, and even more unusual for that percussionist to be a lead vocalist – but when that percussionist is Cyril Neville, normality is suspended by greatness. Not only does Neville have an AMAZING voice, but his stage presence is incredibly charismatic and he immediately builds a rapport with the audience, bringing with it all of the talent and experience of a life spent among one of the most respected groups of all time.

Devon Allman's vocals have that natural drawl that accompanies white boy country rock but are tinged with just the right amount of southern black soul, while his guitar sounds like it's channelling every one of the legends that inspired his playing and shaped his style. Blues rock is one of those genres where “feel” counts above all else, and both Gotta Keep Rocking and Moonlight Over The Mississippi are nothing short of spine tingling!

Mike Zito comes with a deservedly stellar reputation gained through playing ability that justifies his place among his peers, and it was some of more subtle moments that shone, while the rhythm section of Charlie Wooton and Yonrico Scott perfectly complement the expressiveness of what surrounds them.

When viewed on paper, you sometimes wonder if super-groups will work, but on stage this one borders on the righteous – though when you really dig into the heritage its hard to have imagined otherwise. A joy of a band to watch, even the instrumental workout between bass and drums proved infectious and far from the usual toilet break boredom – much more about two friends jamming than time filling – though the drum solo that followed felt a little unnecessary despite it's obvious skill.

An extended work out of Sweet Jelly Doughnut had the crowd singing along and turned into a dirty blues improvisation between two guitarists that obviously enjoy bouncing ideas off each other, and after the strains of New Horizon close a superb set, the obligatory few moments cheering are rewarded by a staggering encore of the Rolling Stones classic Gimme Shelter.

Approachable and friendly, Royal Southern Brotherhood capped off what had already been a superb night by donating a signed copy of their album to be added to the upcoming auction to raise funds for local disabled athlete Emily Smith, who is looking to represent Team GB at the Paralympics in Rio 2016. The band play in Edinburgh tonight, and had I been able would have made the trip to see them again because, as the band commented themselves, this opening night of their UK tour was certainly one to remember.

(c) 2013 Paul .M. Sinclair

"The recently formed Edinburgh Blues Club has identified an appetite for the personal communication between musicians and audience that the blues long ago perfected." The Herald Newspaper (Scotland)
http://www.edinburgh-blues.uk

Hey Duncan - thanks for the original shout about this tour; really glad I didn't miss this one. Shame we didn't get chance to meet up. I got stood by one of the side exits and by the time RSB came on, it was all I could to raise my hands to applaud.

Great review, certainly more eloquent than my effort, but one thing the reviewer maybe wasn't aware of - it took longer to get out the performance room at The Cluny than it did to get out of Newcastle.

Phil dragged me off screaming again... anyway,can someone please tell me the title of this song so i can edit the Youtube title properly... one of my fav' on the night,thanks in advance!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyXvhx9Vrww

Everyone is born a genius, but the process of living de-geniuses them.
R. Buckminster Fuller

It's "Natural Born Lover", Pete.

From The Cluny - 21/9/13

Moonlight Over The Mississippi -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVBM8diRpjk

Gimme Shelter -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELpsU6u9zs

Kenny wrote:

It's "Natural Born Lover", Pete.

...yeah,I know I'm a natural born lover Kenny but what's the song called?

Everyone is born a genius, but the process of living de-geniuses them.
R. Buckminster Fuller

87 (edited by currymandavid 2013-10-05 11:19:31)

The show at Under The Bridge was one of very best I've seen in 2013. These guys are superb musicians individually but work so well as a band too.

here's Gotta Keep Rockin'  - vid captured by Prakash

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZ8Df_WKOFA

and here's one of the best songs of the evening - Fire On The Mountain. It's a long song at nearly 15 minutes but, if you're short of time, dive in at about 10m 15s and then hold out til the end to hear the sweet, sweet guitars of Devon Allman and Mike Zito.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZTSRmC_ … e=youtu.be

Pete The Cabby wrote:

one of my fav' on the night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyXvhx9Vrww

Lovely stuff Pete, nice to see you again.

Gotta nip up the road 30 miles or so to catch these at the Carlisle Blues weekend,got me all anticipatin'!

Come on you Blades!

My good friend Wooders asked me to post these vids of his, as he ran out of time before he went off to lounge around in a warm climate (lucky Phil).

They were taken when RSB played a truly memorable show at Under The Bridge, London on 25 September

first up is One Way Out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7W1iMXzzLY

and then, Stop Draggin' My Heart Around,  featured the highly talented Samantha Fish
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtpky5w6Tac