Topic: Question for the experts here (not about Joe, sorry)

I own an American Highway 1 Telecaster, but its causing problems.  For some reason, if I touch the neck pickup, or anywhere on the pickguard with my pick or fingernail, it makes a clinking sound.  This gets very problematic with strumming, and any other kind of lead playing.  As of now I have a piece of felt taped to the pickguard which cuts down the clinking, but due to the inconvienence of having a piece of felt electrical taped to my pickguard, I would like to find a more permanent solution.  Does anyone here have experience with th is problem/solutions?

thanks
kyle

2 (edited by Guitgator 2007-04-01 23:05:36)

Re: Question for the experts here (not about Joe, sorry)

sounds like you have some crappy pickups....maybe one is microphonic and picks up any contact with the pickguard. What happens if you just have the bridge pickup selected? It could be just a bad neck PUP.  You might also try wrapping some thin foam around the bottom and up the sides of the  pickups in the cavaties and see if that cuts down on the noise.  There are all kinds of great replacement pickups.  A lot of tele guys in N-ville like Lindy Fralin. I use Bill Lawrence in my tele and they're super quiet.

http://www.billlawrence.com/index.html

Kyle wrote:

I own an American Highway 1 Telecaster, but its causing problems.  For some reason, if I touch the neck pickup, or anywhere on the pickguard with my pick or fingernail, it makes a clinking sound.  This gets very problematic with strumming, and any other kind of lead playing.  As of now I have a piece of felt taped to the pickguard which cuts down the clinking, but due to the inconvienence of having a piece of felt electrical taped to my pickguard, I would like to find a more permanent solution.  Does anyone here have experience with th is problem/solutions?

thanks
kyle

"why isn't the number "11" pronounced "onety one"???....S. Wright.

you might want to drop $20 and have a local guitar tech check it out. Aside from that....we LOVE to shop for new pickups. You could check out Joe Barden pickups too...

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

yeah man,  ive heard amazing things about bardens.   Now heres my concern.  I cant seem to find any pickups that have a smooth meaty tone.  all the pickups today advertise there hot texas tone,  like the texas specials.  Those are too honky for me,  anyone have any suggestions?  Ive heard amazing things about fralins,  but some say there in the same category as the texas specials and are too midrangy. 
Peace all,
Conner

Fender '62 reissue Stratocaster, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio(Stock), Marshall JCM900 100W Head, Original 1972 Carvin 4/12 Cabinet,Ibanez Ts9 Reissue, Keeley Compressor, Boss DD-3 Delay, Vox Wah

check out the Bill Lawrence pups....he makes standard and high output....heck...he'd probably wind 'em to your specs if you want...and they're way less than most boutique pups.

cj19m wrote:

yeah man,  ive heard amazing things about bardens.   Now heres my concern.  I cant seem to find any pickups that have a smooth meaty tone.  all the pickups today advertise there hot texas tone,  like the texas specials.  Those are too honky for me,  anyone have any suggestions?  Ive heard amazing things about fralins,  but some say there in the same category as the texas specials and are too midrangy. 
Peace all,
Conner

Hey Nick...two questions...what year is your Lester and what is that weirdazz bass you bud's playin'??

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

you might want to drop $20 and have a local guitar tech check it out. Aside from that....we LOVE to shop for new pickups. You could check out Joe Barden pickups too...

Guitgator wrote:

Hey Nick...two questions...what year is your Lester and what is that weirdazz bass you bud's playin'??

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

uh oh!

Did you check out my website?

My buddy has a BA from a small private college in Appleton, WI. He took a strat copy bass and totally sawed off the horns. He made the  body shaped like an Alien head (kinda looks like aliens from south Park).  He sawed the neck shape as well. I have no clue what kind it was.

I dont have pictures posted, but my backup drummer was a guy who played with Bo  Didley for a tour.  When he played with us, we'd never practice...just gave him a key and go.  I guess Bo told him he'd be fired if he ever used the 'ride' symbol - i guess he didnt like that one.

To answer your question about my LP, its a 1973 Custom, w/Gibson engraved in the pickup covers. I put a midrange kit in it, and had the Jimmy Page push/pull coil tapping pots installed way back in 96 when the Page signatures first came out.

Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

cj19m wrote:

yeah man,  ive heard amazing things about bardens.   Now heres my concern.  I cant seem to find any pickups that have a smooth meaty tone.

the nice thing about bardens or RAIL pickups is that they are hum cancelling like a humbucker, but they still sing like a strat.  The "texas" tone I do believe comes from the overwound wrappings and the staggered pole pieces.  The Rails serve as even pole pieces so they can be balanced and meaty without being muddy or super-jangle.  My buddy put hot rails in his tele, and he simply loves it...gets really good smooth and meaty tone.

I figured that bass was some bastid guitar built out of garage tools!

sounds like a nice Paul.  I used to have a 30th anniversary gold top ('84) but sold it for something twangy when I moved to Gnashville in '89.

wish I had that one back

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:
Guitgator wrote:

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

uh oh!

Did you check out my website?

My buddy has a BA from a small private college in Appleton, WI. He took a strat copy bass and totally sawed off the horns. He made the  body shaped like an Alien head (kinda looks like aliens from south Park).  He sawed the neck shape as well. I have no clue what kind it was.

I dont have pictures posted, but my backup drummer was a guy who played with Bo  Didley for a tour.  When he played with us, we'd never practice...just gave him a key and go.  I guess Bo told him he'd be fired if he ever used the 'ride' symbol - i guess he didnt like that one.

To answer your question about my LP, its a 1973 Custom, w/Gibson engraved in the pickup covers. I put a midrange kit in it, and had the Jimmy Page push/pull coil tapping pots installed way back in 96 when the Page signatures first came out.

Guitgator wrote:

sounds like a nice Paul.  I used to have a 30th anniversary gold top ('84) but sold it for something twangy when I moved to Gnashville in '89.

wish I had that one back

i have a the feeling of luxory when i play gibsons, and the feeling of 'sporty' when I play Fenders. Its like the car industry to me.

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:
Guitgator wrote:

wish I had that one back

i have a the feeling of luxory when i play gibsons, and the feeling of 'sporty' when I play Fenders. Its like the car industry to me.

wow... thats pretty much my exact thoughts on the subject... although i do like both Fenders and Gibsons equally- they both have their place in the sound spectrum and purpose for what your trying to accomplish... but Fenders definitely feel like instruments that can take any kind of abuse and still be playable- Gibsons just don't seem like the type of instrument you would do anything to really abuse it like you could a strat (if that makes any sense)...

Scott

"Interestingly, according to modern astronomers, space is finite. This is a very comforting thought-- particularly for people who can never remember where they have left things." - Woody Allen

http://www.last.fm/user/skynyrd128

I was lucky enough to find a 1976 Ibanez artist in a local trade paper for a mere $250 back in the mid-90s. They built those guitars very similar to Pauls...the only downfall were the crappy stock pups on it. But the guy I bought it from had already put a Seymour in the bridge position and I went out and got a Gibson Classic '57 pup for the neck. It also had locking tuners installed. That guitar helped ease the loss of my Paul.

I also have an '81 strat and a '97 b-bender Tele. I rotate all three on gigs depending on my mood that day and what the other guitarist is playing.

I was rather jealous when I saw Joe owned over 157 guitars.....choices choices!

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:
Guitgator wrote:

wish I had that one back

Hey thanks for the help with it.  I think I decided getting a new pickup is a good way to go.  Ive never been a real big fan of the sound from the pickup anyway, so I might as well.  Is the Barden Hot-Rail a humbucking/noisecanceling pickup?

14 (edited by Guitgator 2007-04-04 00:26:08)

Kyle...you're confusing the two. Hotrails are made by Seymour Duncan and Joe Bardens are custom shop type pickups which are very highly regarded....they have the same look as the Hotrails. Barden's website doesn't identify them as being humbuckers but maybe someone else here can tell you for sure. Here's the musician's friend link for the Hotrails...they are basically a high powered humbucking in a single coil casing. 

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ … sku=300300

here's the Barden link. You'll notice that the Bardens are more than twice the price of the Duncans.

http://www.joebarden.com/main.php

and here's the link to Bill Lawrence. I use these and they're dead quiet...hand-crafted and dirt cheap to boot.

http://www.billlawrence.com/Pages/Picku … uction.htm

Kyle wrote:

Hey thanks for the help with it.  I think I decided getting a new pickup is a good way to go.  Ive never been a real big fan of the sound from the pickup anyway, so I might as well.  Is the Barden Hot-Rail a humbucking/noisecanceling pickup?

kyle-

sounds like you might have a ground problem. are you using brass or metal picks?

good luck

"I have wondered at times what the Ten Commandments would have looked like if Moses had run them through the US Congress."
-Ronald Regan-

I believe the pickup to be metal.  The pickup thats causing the problems is just a standard Telecaster pickup.  Silver cover, no visible pole pieces.

Do you think there is a big enough difference between the Seymour Duncan and the Joe Barden to be worth the larger difference?

maybe. i think they both make great pickups. find what can really get YOU the feel and sound you want. Just don't get caught up in yhat "...if i could just figure out what kind of battery eric johnson uses on that pedal..."
go with what you want. experiment. make your own decision.

johnnyg

"I have wondered at times what the Ten Commandments would have looked like if Moses had run them through the US Congress."
-Ronald Regan-

I think Joe has Joe Bardens in  of his his Gigliotti GT. Bardens are expensive.
Seymour Duncan hot rails are good according to dudes I play with.

A very cost effective solution is GFS pickups - you can get them on ebay. or google guitarfetish. I think the tele rails they sell are $60 for the pair. I bought their humbucker sized P-90 pickups, and was happy with them for the money.

you can also review what many people thought of these pickups on harmony-central.com
click user reviews. keep in mind nay-sayers live everywhere.