19 (edited by TRJ 2007-05-17 07:10:26)

Re: Gigliotti Guitars

I've never been that interested in cars. I don't plan on driving more than necessary, so I don't really need an expensive car. I love playing guitar and I try to do it as often as I can, so it's easier for me to justify buying an expensive guitar. It's a shame that I might not be able to afford a Gigliotti, I've been dreaming of one for a while now. The problem isn't really the money, it's the time. If I already had a decent guitar I'd be able to wait until I could afford a Gigliotti, but I don't own a decent guitar, and I've been playing alot less recently because of it.
Oh, well, if they are in the $2000-range, I'll get one.

TRJ wrote:

I've never been that interested in cars. I don't plan on driving more than necessary, so I don't really need an expensive car. I love playing guitar and I try to do it as often as I can, so it's easier for me to justify buying an expensive guitar. It's a shame that I might not be able to afford a Gigliotti, I've been dreaming of one for a while now. The problem isn't really the money, it's the time. If I already had a decent guitar I'd be able to wait until I could afford a Gigliotti, but I don't own a decent guitar, and I've been playing alot less recently because of it.
Oh, well, if they are in the $2000-range, I'll get one.

TJR,

You can get a "decent" guitar for a couple hundred dollars if you look into it.  Some of my BEST guitar students learned on $200-$300 guitars.  Don't ever let that hold you back from playing!

"There is nothing to it.  You only have to hit the right notes at the right time and the instrument plays itself."---Johann Sebastian Bach

I know. My Squier isn't THAT bad, it sounds okay and plays pretty good for what it cost but it doesn't stay in tune, I'm so sick and tired of tuning the guitar every other minute. If I could fix that problem somehow I'd be content with this guitar until I'd be able to afford a Gigliotti.

22 (edited by NPB_EST.1979 2007-05-17 11:36:19)

cathysiler wrote:

TRJ. just want to say it's nice to see a teen investing wisely in good guitars instead of cars...Bless you.....It will appreciate....

yup - cars go down in value, guitars most likely go UP

TRJ!

Can't get your squier to tune?  Is everything stock?  You might want to look into some better tuners.  They sell them on ebay for $30-50 and up dollars.  Also, if you have string breakage often, you could get Graphtech nuts and saddles.  I can bend a G string up past the low E and no SNAP!

...just some ideas...

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

All of the hardware is stock, I've been thinking about trying some locking tuners, if I decide to go for the Gigliotti, I'll get some Sperzels or something for my Squier. I've locked the bridge down so that it's no longer floating, that helped a little but it's still going out of tune alot.
No, I don't have any problem with strings breaking.

TRJ wrote:

All of the hardware is stock, I've been thinking about trying some locking tuners, if I decide to go for the Gigliotti, I'll get some Sperzels or something for my Squier. I've locked the bridge down so that it's no longer floating, that helped a little but it's still going out of tune alot.
No, I don't have any problem with strings breaking.

yeah dude - try some different tuners. That's one of the big improvements that go from a squier to a standard strat...better components. I'd do some shopping on ebay, as you can find good replacements for cheap. I do however find the more you spend with tuners, the better they are. Sperzels are good, although I've never used them.  I've owned Gotoh and Kluson and have been happy.

Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

NO!!!! Tuners (machine heads) are not where you should start. Get the top-nut checked by a good guitar tech. If the nut slots aren't cut correctly then the strings will stick in the nut and not return to pitch. How old are the strings???....old strings don't play in tune. Likewise...new strings need to be stretched to remove any possibilty of them detuning. The machine heads will not slip....they're geared to work in one direction only under tension.

never give up, never slow down
never grow old, never ever die young

gsj wrote:

NO!!!! Tuners (machine heads) are not where you should start. Get the top-nut checked by a good guitar tech. If the nut slots aren't cut correctly then the strings will stick in the nut and not return to pitch. How old are the strings???....old strings don't play in tune. Likewise...new strings need to be stretched to remove any possibilty of them detuning. The machine heads will not slip....they're geared to work in one direction only under tension.

crap tuners make a big difference when you upgrade in my experience. I agree you should have the nut checked over. Even so I love graphite nuts, you might want to get one of those. My graphite nuts/saddles were two of the best investments I made on my strat. and cost effective

I'm not going to spend any more money on this guitar.
The Gigliotti's are a tad expensive for me right now, just a tad...
I'm looking for a new guitar, I haven't played at all in about a month, my fingers are getting itchy!

TRJ wrote:

I'm not going to spend any more money on this guitar.
The Gigliotti's are a tad expensive for me right now, just a tad...
I'm looking for a new guitar, I haven't played at all in about a month, my fingers are getting itchy!

ah yes, the ever so blissful (almost crush-like feeling) of being in the market to purchase a new guitar.  I love flipping through AMS and Musician's Friend to see what I want...and then going to ebay to see how much cheaper I can get it!

I think Gigliottis could come down in price to around $1200, and they would erupt into a major company like PRS.

29 (edited by gsj 2007-05-30 16:46:43)

Finally got my cheque....soon as it clears my account I'll be getting in touch with Patrick.....around 5 days from now.

gsj wrote:

Finally got my cheque....soon as it clears my account I'll be getting in touch with Patrick.....around 5 days from now.

what flavor will you be getting: cough up some specs!

gsj wrote:

I wish I could afford one, some day...
I expect a review, pictures and some clips!

32 (edited by gsj 2007-06-01 17:33:04)

Well, I reckon it'll look like Joe's as far as the finish is concerend as that's the look I like best but I'm unsure about the pickups.....I fancy having Bardons in there if Patrick will do them. Anyway, I'll hopefully talk to him soon and take his advice. Of course you'll get photos if that's what you'd like but......don't touch it lol

33 (edited by TRJ 2007-06-01 18:37:35)

gsj wrote:

but......don't touch it lol

That makes me sad sad

Why? I'm going to gig it.

TRJ wrote:
gsj wrote:

but......don't touch it lol