Re: no more live Joe for us....

gsj wrote:
Spider wrote:

I don't agree. I normally only see a couple shows a year. I live within my means. In other words, I don't charge what I can not afford to pay at the end of the month when the bill arrives. I don't believe in over extending myself into debt. So, if I can't afford a show I don't do it. It's really that simple. Plan ahead and you can actually live very nicely within your means. Now if you want to dive into deep debt you can do that too. But don't whine to me or expect me to help you up out of the hole you dug yourself into...........

I don't see anyone here whining Spider. Just a few saying that the current world economic climate is having a noticeable effect on day to day lives and as a result, as you so rightly state, some of us are in fact choosing to live within our means, The end result of this prioritising of expendable income is that Joe won't be getting a visit from all of us on his current tour. I haven't seen anyone asking for you to 'help dig us out of any hole'!! I find your statement very offensive indeed, particularly given that you're not in a position to know individual forum members personal financial commitments or circumstances.

My statement was not directed towards any individual. Without going into details I was in fact venting my frustration of current political and personal events.

Ian916 wrote:

Chrisuk no problem from me with your opposing view, not sure I agree with it as it perhaps implies that a crowd cannot behave itself at certain gigs, - but would agree that there should be some parental responsibility around not putting your kids into a vulnerable situation. However taking this as just about seeing Joe live there should be no issue whatsoever, - we have been lucky enough to see Joe at 2 standing gigs and those around us have been extremely courteous, - at Guilfest making sure my daughter could see at the front, - and again at recent Warren Haynes gig the JB friends who we met for the first time made way so my son could be right at the front. - And again the Shepherds Bush venue staff were excellent.

Handling fees need dealing with, - 10% plus per ticket is ridiculous, - on each ticket.

It's not just the crowd - the performers can use very adult language or themes at some music gigs.

Like I said I wouldn't have any issues with kids at one of Joes gigs even BCC is familly friendly in my experience.  smile

I totally agree about the handling fees as well - especially when you print them yourselves or download to smart phones - it's a con.

Chrisuk wrote:

It's not just the crowd - the performers can use very adult language or themes at some music gigs.

Like I said I wouldn't have any issues with kids at one of Joes gigs even BCC is familly friendly in my experience.  smile

Chris we gave up protecting our kids from bad language when they were very small, - one shopping trip to Asda in Crawley and they heard enough to last a lifetime!  wink

My YouTube channel with plenty of my Joe's videos dating from 2009 inc his first Hammersmith Odeon ones:
http://www.youtube.com/ian916fun

Well I have 2 cents so I'll jump in.The economics is always a personal situation.What you can afford or want to pay for entertainment is ultimately a personal decision.When money is tight we have to decide for ourselves how to allocate it.As far as Joes shows prices,again that's  market driven and There's no sense in thinking Joe would or should go back to the lower cost  ticket prices at this point in his career.So we all either. Can or can't spend x amount for that.I know a lot of peeps here go to multiple shows and travel to and fro for their Joe fixes.I wish I could too.But money and work commitments don't allow me that.So I am able to make Joes local shows and am fine with that.I know if I couldn't afford to go it would be very hard for me.The time could come when that could happen.Hopefully not and I am grateful I can  still indulge in my bonafixes.

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

23 (edited by Oasis.Guitar 2011-10-15 23:27:27)

I'll admit to having only read the opening post so I apologize if this has been said...

My personal opinion only...

- You can't put a price on the memories you make with your children... 

- (I think) a lot of artists make most of their income from touring these days and not record sales...and even then they may not make much....think of all of the costs that go into touring and all of those hands out waiting to get their cut...  This may or may not apply to  Joe...I don't know....it's just my guess...

I hope times get better for you and yours!  Stay positive and keep listening....music heals!

24 (edited by bigjeffjones 2011-10-16 07:59:53)

I hope my thread here does not come across as me moaning about myself or my own situation because my concern is a lot greater than that. I would be interested to know if others share my concerns?
Does quality live music have a problem and should more younger children be engaged? Or is it about the oldies having something for themselves away from the kids?

Yes it does a little bit, but that's OK.  I'm sympathetic.  If you want to go badly enough, you'll go by yourself or just the missus or you'll sell something  lol (just kidding mate)  wink or you'll go another time...

The more important point, I think, is a balance.  Classical music aficionados have been asking the same question for more years than I've been alive.  Pop culture is a fad by definition.  Classic rock is the same... Of course we as parents must stand for something, but I watch the kids in my family circle.

My son listens to Jack White and after a week, suddenly he's got Son House on his player and his guitar in his hands.  My nephew (RIP) calls my other nephew & my other son out to the family van.  Music? says I.  Yeah C'mon Uncle Jeff.  This CD is amazing!

We get sorted & I hear Led Zeppelin I blasting us out of our seats.  lol  After that I pull my MP3 player out of my pocket and play some Willy Dixon for them.

Here's where it came from, boys.  Wow!  Yeah Cool!  That's really good.  Hey dad is that the original?  Yep! sho nuff is...
Here's the truth:  They had to come to me.  I could no way force anything upon them.  they're defiant.

I can only do what I can afford.  It's a pain in the arse, being all grown up.   hmm   At times I question if Joe's doing a worthwhile thing with the younger people...not that I wouldn't do it.  I just wonder.  I guess it plants the seed.  neutral

I do know that I swell with pride when I look out over the show attendees and see infinite variety...age, race, creed, color, gender?  All present and accounted for and all here (hear) to support

MuchJoe
bjj fdol

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

25 (edited by Rocket 2011-10-16 08:12:23)

Supply.  Demand.

That's the way it is.  Unforced.  That's the way it is.  Want.  Need. It all comes around...

Stick it ON & Stick Around & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

...forced ANYTHING is subject to severing rejection...put that in your piece of pipe and smoke it...

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

I understand completely.  We took my 27 yr old and his wife to see Joe in Columbus last Jan.  They were blown away....and he got to  meet Joe as well.  I've tried to get my 19 yr old but to no avail.  He and his friends workout in the room next to my music room and by my playing Joe and BCC, they've all become fans.  Now I'm fortunate to be able to take him to see Joe in Louisville in November, and wife is happy because we're seeing him in Cleveland in a couple of weeks (get healthy Joe).  So, as it has happened even with friends and family.....expose them to Joe's music and let the magic work it's way to their soul.

Bonaburst #18, JB Epi #191, MusicMan Darklord, LP Cherryburst Traditional Plus, Gigliotti GT, Takamine, Takamine 12 string, Martin D-28 & GPCPA1, Fender Amer STD Strat, Fender Custom Shop Gold Metalflake, Custom "OSU" Wagner Tele, Gibson SG Limited Govt Model, Jim Kelly Combo

gary wrote:

Well I have 2 cents so I'll jump in.The economics is always a personal situation.What you can afford or want to pay for entertainment is ultimately a personal decision.When money is tight we have to decide for ourselves how to allocate it.As far as Joes shows prices,again that's  market driven and There's no sense in thinking Joe would or should go back to the lower cost  ticket prices at this point in his career.So we all either. Can or can't spend x amount for that.I know a lot of peeps here go to multiple shows and travel to and fro for their Joe fixes.I wish I could too.But money and work commitments don't allow me that.So I am able to make Joes local shows and am fine with that.I know if I couldn't afford to go it would be very hard for me.The time could come when that could happen.Hopefully not and I am grateful I can  still indulge in my bonafixes.

That's exactly what I was going to say.

Why don't we eliminate all the warning labels and let things sort themselves out?

Interesting programme on British televisin last week ( Channel 4) which
proved that promoters/venues sell direct to outside ticket agencies before
the fans get a chance to buy them.
These agencies then sell for double the price and even more.
I can only assume people actually buy these tickets otherwise
there would be no market for it.
Sadly it is all within the law - apparently !

Lester..

Lester wrote:

Interesting programme on British televisin last week ( Channel 4) which
proved that promoters/venues sell direct to outside ticket agencies before
the fans get a chance to buy them.
These agencies then sell for double the price and even more.
I can only assume people actually buy these tickets otherwise
there would be no market for it.
Sadly it is all within the law - apparently !

Lester..

That boss of viagogo has a pathetic little life...It's just the mafia with a reputable company mask...a shitty one at that.
Such a shame the music business in every possible angle has nothing to do with music apart from having it as the word before 'business'.

30 (edited by ZeyerGTR 2012-02-27 13:45:07)

Gotta agree.  I've seen Joe a couple of times, and they were FANTASTIC shows.  I skipped him last year because tickets were $80.  I will hopefully go again at some point, but I've got other priorities for my money and it's hard to justify.  Roger Waters is doing The Wall here this summer, but tickets are $200.  I'd like to see it, but geez.  I'm sure it's going to be an amazing show but I can't justify that.  I have seen other shows in the $35 range, it's easier to swallow.  Of course, as was said, it's personal decision - if I wanted to go badly enough I'd go (and I have).  Joe is awesome, and I hope he sells every ticket at whatever the price is.  It's gotta be tough keeping the show going with a good-sized band, gas prices, etc.

On the other hand, if my son (now 3) wanted to go see Joe live ten years from now I'd be willing to pay a premium so he can experience it, at least once.  Some styles of music - like blues - are 10x better live.

ZeyerGTR wrote:

On the other hand, if my son (now 3) wanted to go see Joe live ten years from now I'd be willing to pay a premium so he can experience it, at least once.  Some styles of music - like blues - are 10x better live.

Right on! Right on! Right on! Right on!

They're here to kick your A$$.

Amen

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

I am new on this forum so I'm not sure if this post is going to the right place?  It is my understanding that it's the artist and not the music industry who sets the ticket price.  The bigger they get, the more they charge.
SpecialK

Ian916 wrote:

as some of you may know I have waffled on before about my concerns for the direction the music industry is going in terms of engaging children as it is a real minority of them who are into what I would call "real" music.

I recall there being debate on Joe's increasing ticket prices and we have sadly realised that we just cannot justify £220 for the 4 of us to go see Joe next year, it is just too much money in these difficult times - with Brighton being just down the road my wife and 2 kids wanted to go to this one. My 11 year old daughter still talks about standing in the rain watching Joe a few years back at Guilfest. - It is absolutely brilliant that a child who knows nothing about rock/blues or Joe can stand at the front of one of Joe's live shows and be completely enthralled by his performance. I have taken my son to a few gigs on his own, - the pair of us got to see Joe's first gig at Hammersmith and again the pair of us got to see Warren Haynes at Shepherds Bush this year. - Warren and his keyboard player Nigel Hall were really enthused to see a 12 year old at the front of the stage and said so when we got to speak to them after the show.

Not Joe's fault at all, and I do not want my moaning to come across as in any way negative towards him because this is very much a music industry problem, not a Joe one.

It is hardly surprising that kids today are not into live music and think that the music world revolves around MTV approach. I know that I am in the minority but can't help but think the music industry and venues could be more proactive to engage children by offering concession pricing for the kids, - if football can allow kids in for £1 and moto racing circuits allow them in for free if accompanied could the music industry not do something?

In my opinion for real music to survive it needs children to be interested not us oldies, - I guess we are lucky to have 2 children who are involved in music, - son with his guitar and daughter with her keyboard and violin, but I am convinced that music is at its best when played or seen live as that is where the real emotion of performance comes across to encourage kids to go out and do it for themselves. - Perhaps dramatic but the music industry is being "attacked" by mediocrity with the "X" factor type of approach, -  not knocking the ability of SOME of these artists but if you take a step back you will see that that too much of the focus is on laughing at the failures and chucking out those that are not appreciated in a very public way in the name of entertainment.

I hope my thread here does not come across as me moaning about myself or my own situation because my concern is a lot greater than that. I would be interested to know if others share my concerns?

Does quality live music have a problem and should more younger children be engaged? Or is it about the oldies having something for themselves away from the kids?

An artist can charge a premium price for a premium product. If people don't think it's worth it, they wont go. If concert-goers think with their pocketbooks and defiantly stop going to shows, it will affect live music as a whole... but would bands stop coming or simply lower prices? hmm It's a gamble.

I do think some bands charge way too much for tickets, and I don't go to see them. Other bands, however, if I back their music and want them to come around to my town again I do whatever I can to see them play because I believe in their work.

When I see Joe Bonamassa for example, I'll know that I'll be in the presence of two 1959 and one 1960 Les Pauls... history worth upwards of $2.5-3 million dollars. You can "hear" history. Not to mention they are being played by one of the best guitar players around. I'm not saying that should inflate the cost of tickets, but at the same time I like to find subjective value when I'm paying for something that most others might not notice, care, or appreciate.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

I agree with how ticket prices are going. Having seen Joe recently in Vancouver (my 1st time, since Joe don't get here much), it was one of the best shows I have ever seen bar none (right up there with Aerosmith in the early 90's - the absolute best concert I've been to -flawless). Tickets were reasonable and the venue was small enough that there was no bad seats(the Orpheum is a great room), but I can see the trend.
Luckily for us, Joe see's fit to release live albums/DVDs on a very regular basis. A trend which I wish more artists would follow. Joe's studio albums are great, but Joe is best served live. Thank god for his live recording releases.

When our family was young, kids 4, 7, 10. I didn't have much to spend but made it a point to take them all to see The Wall, original tour. That gig is still remembered by all of them and has shaped their musical lives for the better. (well, there was that death metal phase...)
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

36 (edited by Denbon18 2012-03-06 11:58:41)

I was able to take both of my sons to see Joe.....and meet him as well.   They knew of him by my music room and what I generally play in the car...but seeing him had an impact and they're both fans.  In fact, my oldest has played guitar for 10 yrs but my youngest never expressed an interest.  He now has a strat (great deal...he'll have to save on his own for a LP).  We've also all gone to the Indians, Cavs, Brown, and OSU Bucks..... Which isn't much different cost wise from seeing Joe....and each of them have a special memory seeing Joe....
.as do I seeing Joe with them.

Bonaburst #18, JB Epi #191, MusicMan Darklord, LP Cherryburst Traditional Plus, Gigliotti GT, Takamine, Takamine 12 string, Martin D-28 & GPCPA1, Fender Amer STD Strat, Fender Custom Shop Gold Metalflake, Custom "OSU" Wagner Tele, Gibson SG Limited Govt Model, Jim Kelly Combo