Topic: Matt Schofield

Just got his CD, Heads, Tails, and Aces.  Great CD.  If you like blues, you'll like this one.

Re: Matt Schofield

Great player, a must see live!

andre wittebroek wrote:

Great player, a must see live!

I'll second that Andre, he's a spellbinding player. Just won the British Blues Award for best guitarist for the second year running. Don't forget the other 2 guys in the trio, Johnny Henderson on organ and keys (another 2nd time winner at the awards) and kevin Hayes (formerly with Robert Cray) on drums.

Jim, check out the recent Ahything But Time album; Hell, check out any of his albums and for a real treat, check out the 2 he produced for Ian Siegal, Meat & Potatoes and The Swagger. (If you go for Meat & Potatos, get the extended version with the DVD - Matt's band and Ian Siegal's on stage together for an hour of blues magic.

Mike

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

Just got tickets to see Matt in Colchester on 23rd November  cool

never give up, never slow down
never grow old, never ever die young

Matt is playing live tonight from the Iridium. It is being streamed.  If you want to check it out

http://theiridium.com/iridiumlive/

Enjoy

Going to see him on 6 november in Herent Belgium

Going to see him for a 1 hour afternoon performance at the Royal Albert Hall as part of London Bluesfest. It is to be the last Matt Schofield Trio show this year. I will be seeing him in 3 weeks time today with his new to be Quartet line up. Should be interesting.

8 (edited by BansheeUK 2013-10-29 10:13:48)

Matt's Cardiff date has been postponed due to venue, Bogiez closure.  Refunds available for shows they're not able to reschedule.

I saw Matt Schofield in Exeter last night and I have to say he was nothing short of fantastic. It was a small venue and the stage was not much higher than my knees and I was standing little more than a few feet away with no-one in front of me so my view was as good as it gets.

I have seen some great guitarists this year (Eric Johnson, Robben Ford, Johnny Winter, Joe Satriani and JB himself) and I have to say that Matt Schofield is, in my opinion, up there with the best of them. I also saw Matt earlier in the year supporting Joe Satriani but the set was quite short on that occasion whereas last night he was the only act and played 2 sets totalling about 2 hours.

If you like electric blues (with more jazz influence than rock) with lots of guitar solos then make sure you see Matt Schofield if you get the chance. I do't think you'll regret it.

http://www.rootstime.be/LIVE/NOV2013/MA … FIELD.html

Here is my review of his gig in Belgium with a few movies.

Sat 30th Nov ‘13
Well, if Aynsley was on fire on Friday night at The Cluny, then the following night it was the turn of the King of Cool when Matt Schofield set up shop on stage.

This time round Matt came with a couple of new faces as well as his perennial right hand man (though he sits to Matt’s left) Johnny Henderson, as he’s recording and touring as a 4 piece. The “extra” man is bassist Carl Stanbridge who has worked off and on with Matt & Johnny for a while; and there’s a new face behind the drum kit, Canadian Jordan Jones who not only possesses a swift pair of hands but a soulful voice.

What we got from Matt & band was a superb evening hot, swinging blues as only Matt can deliver, cool all the way to the toes of his snake-skin boots: a mix of old favourites like Ear To The Ground, newer favourites Where Do I Have To Stand, and even a couple of brand spankin’ new tracks from the upcoming album on a new label. Newcastle was asked to put the phones away when these tracks were debuted, and by and large they agreed, but couldn’t resist including one taken at Oxford, to whet your appetites before the album’s release in February:-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNki2IGc7Ps

The band played almost solid from 9pm to 11:20pm, with only a 10 minute break and call for encore, to again, a packed and appreciative Cluny. Everybody got their moment to shine, Jordan taking vocal lead for one song, as well as a couple of delightful drum solos and Carl showing some resounding bass runs.

Matt told me at Aynsley's gig last night (see his topic) that his new studio album will be released by Dutch label Provogue (Joe's European label) in February.

Still a few tickets available for his show in Edinburgh at The Caves, Eilidh McKellar is supporting.

"The recently formed Edinburgh Blues Club has identified an appetite for the personal communication between musicians and audience that the blues long ago perfected." The Herald Newspaper (Scotland)
http://www.edinburgh-blues.uk

Clip from The Cluny (30/11/13)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXBuWa8zVgA

Matt's new album Far As I Can See is due out very shortly (Feb 17th Europe; Feb 18th USA); first batch of US & European tour dates announced:-

Mar 12 2014  Marlboro, NY, USA  The Falcon 
Mar 13 2014  Ridgefield, CT, USA  The Ridgefield Playhouse 
Mar 14 2014  Natick, MA, USA  The Center for Arts in Natick
Mar 15 2014  Fall River, MA, USA  Narrows Center For The Arts 
Mar 16 2014  Northampton, MA, USA  Iron Horse Music Hall 
Mar 17 2014  New York City, NY, USA  Iridium Jazz Club  Matt appears as special guest with the Les Paul Trio! 
Mar 19 2014  Wilmington, DE, USA  World Cafe Live at The Queen
Mar 20 2014  Annapolis, MD, USA  Rams Head On Stage 
Mar 21 2014  Plains, PA, USA  River Street Jazz Cafe   
Mar 22 2014  Richmond, VA, USA  Capital Ale House   
Mar 23 2014  Raleigh, NC, USA  Pour House Music Hall   
Apr 11 2014  St. Petersburg, FL, USA  Tampa Bay Blues Festival   
Apr 12 2014  Live Oak, FL, USA  Wanee Music Festival   

May 15 2014  Utrecht, NL  Tivoli   
May 16 2014  Hengelo, NL  Metropool   
May 17 2014  Zoetermeer, NL  Cultuurpodium Boerderij   
May 18 2014  Eindhoven, NL  Effenaar

He's also at 22 may support act for Robert Cray at the Roma Antwerp
Walter from Belgium

In addition to the list of tour dates Mike posted above, Matt Schofield is also playing:

6th April - Boca Raton, FL, USA - Funky Biscuit "Biscuit Fest!"

If you haven’t already received Mascot Records or Matt Schofield’s mailshot you may be interested in the following info and links. Matt's talent is immense and well worth catching if you can.

Hi friends,

Matt here. I hope 2014 has been good to you all so far!

I wanted to let you know that my new album "Far As I Can See" comes out today in the UK & Europe, and tomorrow in the USA and rest of the world. It's my first release for the Mascot/Provogue label. We're all very excited with how things are going, and I'm grateful for what everyone involved contributed towards making it happen. The amazing critical response to the record from the early reviews and first listens has been overwhelming. You can visit our Facebook page to check out all the latest feedback. Give us a "like" while you're there!

Here's a great review from Premier Guitar Magazine, which really sums up what I was hoping to achieve with the album. To get a flavour of what's in store please click here to watch the video EPK, and here to watch a track by track walk through video.

"Far As I Can See" is available on CD, Digital Download, and I'm delighted to say for the first time 180 gram Double Vinyl, from all good record shops and online retailers, including: Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.com, iTunes and direct from the Mascot/Provogue Online Store.

We'll be back out on the road in March for the first leg of the Far As I Can See Tour. on the East Coast of the USA. Please come out and join us, bring your friends, and spread the word for us via social media, and help be a part of making this album release tour a huge success! We'll keep you posted soon on where we'll heading on the next leg!

Thanks as always for your support, and we look forward to seeing you at the shows!

Best wishes...........Matt

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

“The guy who has helped the blues industry the most is Joe Bonamassa and I would say he is more rock than some rock stuff, so to me blues is whatever you want it to be!”
Simon McBride in my interview with him in Blues Matters! Issue #56

Got Matt's new album last week: new label, new band (same ol' Johnny Henderson though).

If the air-con is bust in your car, or you don't have it - by this CD and put it on - it's that cool.

London & Newcastle dates for Matt announced for June (10th & 11th respectively)