Topic: Hamilton Loomis

Caught a Hamilton Loomis gig a couple of weeks ago. He's been one of those guys I've wanted to catch but could never be in the same place at the same time. Anyway, he was absolutely amazing - even on his table-top walk round the room. The riff duel with Stratton Doyle on sax was worth the entry price alone, especially when the decided to see how "cheesy" they could go.

One highlight, mid way through, Hamilton brought a young lad up on stage, Alex McCowan from a place called Glossop, for a jam. For a 14 year old, this lad was something a bit special, so watch out for him and his band. (I think they played a set at Colne festival on the Monday.)

Seems there's a few good young bands coming up, certainly in the UK, and by young, they make VATA look like seasoned pros, but what's really great is that more seasoned players are helping to bring them on. Keep paying it back guys; that's the way to break Simon Cowell's plans for total World music domination.

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

Re: Hamilton Loomis

BansheeUK wrote:

Caught a Hamilton Loomis gig a couple of weeks ago. He's been one of those guys I've wanted to catch but could never be in the same place at the same time. Anyway, he was absolutely amazing - even on his table-top walk round the room. The riff duel with Stratton Doyle on sax was worth the entry price alone, especially when the decided to see how "cheesy" they could go.

One highlight, mid way through, Hamilton brought a young lad up on stage, Alex McCowan from a place called Glossop, for a jam. For a 14 year old, this lad was something a bit special, so watch out for him and his band. (I think they played a set at Colne festival on the Monday.)

Seems there's a few good young bands coming up, certainly in the UK, and by young, they make VATA look like seasoned pros, but what's really great is that more seasoned players are helping to bring them on. Keep paying it back guys; that's the way to break Simon Cowell's plans for total World music domination.

Thanks for alerting everyone to Hamilton.  He's a great ambassador for the blues that was mentored by Bo Diddley.

http://youtu.be/FM7EmgTJhL0

Curby wrote:
BansheeUK wrote:

Thanks for alerting everyone to Hamilton.  He's a great ambassador for the blues that was mentored by Bo Diddley.

http://youtu.be/FM7EmgTJhL0

Hey, you were one of the guys who recommended I get my butt in gear and catch one one of his shows, and glad you did. he has a "funkier" sound than most but it's more catchy than chicken pox in a kindergarten. You can tell also that he's one of those players who just loves being on stage and he'd give 110% even if the band outnumbered the audience. On this occassion though he pulled in a full house, which is good going for a mid-week gig. Top that off with a table-top walk round and you have a great night.
After he left the UK, his first gig back in the US was Famous Dave's in Minneapolis; just hope my friends their took up my advice to go catch the show. Just as you did for me, I'd pass on the recommendation to anyone, go see a Hamilton Loomis gig.

BansheeUK wrote:

After he left the UK, his first gig back in the US was Famous Dave's in Minneapolis; just hope my friends their took up my advice to go catch the show. Just as you did for me, I'd pass on the recommendation to anyone, go see a Hamilton Loomis gig.

Well, we were at the cabin for the Labor Day weekend so we missed Hamilton in MPLS last Friday (and Walter Trout on Saturday), but we've seen him there and elsewhere a few times previously. I totally agree about everything you've said about him. He puts on a great show and the three CDs we have are very good, too. He does the table walk at Famous Dave's (it's a restaurant) and while I'm normally not a big fan of stunts the table walk is pretty amazing!

5 (edited by BansheeUK 2011-11-18 03:27:58)

Lee wrote:
BansheeUK wrote:

Well, we were at the cabin for the Labor Day weekend so we missed Hamilton in MPLS last Friday (and Walter Trout on Saturday), but we've seen him there and elsewhere a few times previously. I totally agree about everything you've said about him. He puts on a great show and the three CDs we have are very good, too. He does the table walk at Famous Dave's (it's a restaurant) and while I'm normally not a big fan of stunts the table walk is pretty amazing!

Finally got hold of a copy of the "All Fired Up" CD, so checked his tour schedule page - see he's back at Famous Dave's on December 1st, so make sure you finish your ribs before he table walks..... wink

Mike

BansheeUK wrote:

Finally got hold of a copy of the "All Fired Up" CD, so checked his tour schedule page - see he's back at Famous Dave's on December 1st, so make sure you finish your ribs before he table walks..... wink

Mike

Yep! Got it on the calendar!

Got May 6th 2011 down in my diary for next year, Hamilton is returning to Teesside and is heading the Guisborough RnB Festival. Again, Kath is pulling out all the stops.

Saturday (5th) Evening:- Chantel McGregor Band & Tom Attah

Sunday 6th : from 1pm:- Hamilton Loomis; The Producers; The Big Boss Men; Connie Lush Band; Chantel McGregor (acoustic)  &  Dr Brown's Groovecats.

The venue's not as swanky as some nad tickets may be on the pricey side, but it's a long-established and friendly little club and they do a great chilli so guess I'll be sorted for that week-end.

Mike

8 (edited by BansheeUK 2012-01-19 03:28:27)

Hamilton Loomis - Live @ The Hub DVD came through the door yesterday. Great stuff. High quality picture and sound; almost as good as the band being in the room. Full show, running almost 2hrs with everything you'd expect for a Ham-bone gig; the sax/guitar trading licks in Voodoo Doll, a slight twist on the "walk-round" during Bow Wow and the rectangular Gretch for his tribute to mentor Bo Diddley. Odd that there's no What It Is, but other songs on the set still blaze away.

Extras include an interview with the main man (haven't got round to watching it yet) and a look at the stage gear, including the unusual harp stand - very "Heath Robinson".

In all, well worth $20. (Folk in Europe, if you're not sure if your DVD player is multi-region, a Europe "friendly" edition will be available soon.)

Mike

I'll have to look into the DVD.  I've found myself listening to Hamilton more and more.  That Bo Diddley beat puts me in a good mood.

BansheeUK wrote:

Hamilton Loomis - Live @ The Hub DVD came through the door yesterday. Great stuff. High quality picture and sound; almost as good as the band being in the room. Full show, running almost 2hrs with everything you'd expect for a Ham-bone gig; the sax/guitar trading licks in Voodoo Doll, a slight twist on the "walk-round" during Bow Wow and the rectangular Gretch for his tribute to mentor Bo Diddley. Odd that there's no What It Is, but other songs on the set still blaze away.

Extras include an interview with the main man (haven't got round to watching it yet) and a look at the stage gear, including the unusual harp stand - very "Heath Robinson".

In all, well worth $20. (Folk in Europe, if you're not sure if your DVD player is multi-region, a Europe "friendly" edition will be available soon.)

Mike

Thanks Mike!

Curby wrote:

I'll have to look into the DVD.  I've found myself listening to Hamilton more and more.  That Bo Diddley beat puts me in a good mood.

He's combining Roadrunner with Who Do You Love this time round - open E tuning for anyone who likes that sort of info. All I know is, everyone in Cedar Falls that night was having a great time.

Mike

Cutting it close, but here's the dates for the Spring European & UK tour, with his All-American band:-

27/4/12 BLUESKARTELETT HorsensDENMARK -- 10pm
28/4/12 NIX BBBLUES CLUB Enschede HOLLAND -- 9:45pm
29/4/12 CAFE WITTE BAL Assen HOLLAND -- 10pm
30/4/12 WOODSTORE Coppenbrügge GERMANY -- 8:30pm
1/5/12 MEHL SACK Emmendingen GERMANY -- 8:30pm
2/5/12 CHABAH Kandern GERMANY -- 8:30pm
3/5/12 NEKKERSDAL BrusselsBELGIUM -- 8pm
4/5/12 DARVEL MUSIC FESTIVAL Darvel SCOTLAND -- 8:45pm - 10pm
5/5/12 BURNLEY ROCK & BLUES FESTIVAL BurnleyENGLAND -- 7:30pm
6/5/12 GUISBOROUGH BLUES FESTIVAL Guisborough ENGLAND -- 9:30pm
9/5/12 SPIRIT OF 66 VerviersBELGIUM -- 8:30pm
10/5/12 CC DE STEIGER Menen BELGIUM -- 8:30pm
11/5/12 MUSIC NIGHTS SERIES SUNBURY CRICKET CLUB Sunbury-on-Thames ENGLAND -- 9pm
12/5/12 BEAUFORT THEATRE & BALLROOM Blaenau Gwent SOUTH WALES
13/5/12 DART MUSIC FESTIVAL Dartmouth ENGLAND -- 9pm - 10:30pm
14/5/12 FAMOUS MONDAY BLUES THE BULLINGDON, Oxford ENGLAND 9:30pm
16/5/12 THE JAMHOUSE Birmingham ENGLAND 9pm
17/5/12 MILLERS SNOOKER CLUB Kirkby-in-Ashfield ENGLAND 9:30pm
18/5/12 BOARHUNT BLUES North Boarhunt, Hamps ENGLAND 9pm
19/5/12 THE RETREAT Bocking, Essex ENGLAND 9pm
20/5/12 THE STATION HOTEL - SWINTON Swinton, S Yorks ENGLAND 3:30pm
23/5/12 HERZOG ERNST Celle GERMANY -- 8pm
24/5/12 HERZOG ERNST Celle GERMANY -- 8pm
26/5/12 FüRTHER NEW ORLEANS FESTIVAL Fürth GERMANY -- 7:30pm - 9pm

(Stage times approximate.)

Enjoy
Mike

That doesn't look good for me. Same sh.t like the last time he was here.

I love Hamilton Loomis! I saw him quite a few years back at the Burnley Blues festival. Matt Schofield was on the same bill and they played a couple of songs together. Pity it was before I started filming bands.....they were both great. Hamilton's music is definitely feel good stuff and he is such a sweet guy too. The gig in South Yorkshire is a possibility for me smile

Thanks for the reminder

T smile

Here you go, Tripsy. wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dERzxlC … ature=plcp

RIP Iron Man

Rock On and keep the Faith

Amsterhammer wrote:

Here you go, Tripsy. wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dERzxlC … ature=plcp

Now that's what I'm talking about!....Great video, thanks George x

Well, caught up with Hamilton Loomis at Guisborough RnB Club's festival on Sunday night and they guys were in great form, as if that was in doubt, despite a rapid stage change-over that almost overlooked the harp stand. This time round, he's brought his American band over, kent on bass and Ryan on drums, but not Stratton Doyle on sax/keys; sorry I missed the guy's name.

So, what did we get? Well, we didn't get the Bo Diddley tribute, probably due to reduced time (though he did run 20 minutes over...), nor did we get the guitar/sax dual of "cheesiness". However, we did get 4 new songs from a forthcoming new album with Autumn release, and sounding pretty sharp. These were set round songs featured on the recent DVD, including the sing-a-long No, No, No and Guisborough favourite Bow Wow

Ham-bone is one of those guys, just lights a place up as soon as he's on stage and pretty soon had Guisborough going: the ceiling at the venue is too low even for him to do his customary table walk, but he walked out twice among the crowd; even when they were up dancing.

Had a brief chat with him afterwards, such a cool guy; keep an eye out for new album coming out hopefully to coincide with a UK and Europe tour in October; that's if you miss the one's below:-

BansheeUK wrote:

9/5/12 SPIRIT OF 66 VerviersBELGIUM -- 8:30pm
10/5/12 CC DE STEIGER Menen BELGIUM -- 8:30pm
11/5/12 MUSIC NIGHTS SERIES SUNBURY CRICKET CLUB Sunbury-on-Thames ENGLAND -- 9pm
12/5/12 BEAUFORT THEATRE & BALLROOM Blaenau Gwent SOUTH WALES
13/5/12 DART MUSIC FESTIVAL Dartmouth ENGLAND -- 9pm - 10:30pm
14/5/12 FAMOUS MONDAY BLUES THE BULLINGDON, Oxford ENGLAND 9:30pm
16/5/12 THE JAMHOUSE Birmingham ENGLAND 9pm
17/5/12 MILLERS SNOOKER CLUB Kirkby-in-Ashfield ENGLAND 9:30pm
18/5/12 BOARHUNT BLUES North Boarhunt, Hamps ENGLAND 9pm
19/5/12 THE RETREAT Bocking, Essex ENGLAND 9pm
20/5/12 THE STATION HOTEL - SWINTON Swinton, S Yorks ENGLAND 3:30pm
23/5/12 HERZOG ERNST Celle GERMANY -- 8pm
24/5/12 HERZOG ERNST Celle GERMANY -- 8pm
26/5/12 FüRTHER NEW ORLEANS FESTIVAL Fürth GERMANY -- 7:30pm - 9pm

(Stage times approximate.)

Enjoy
Mike

Tripsy wrote:

I love Hamilton Loomis! I saw him quite a few years back at the Burnley Blues festival. Matt Schofield was on the same bill and they played a couple of songs together. Pity it was before I started filming bands.....they were both great. Hamilton's music is definitely feel good stuff and he is such a sweet guy too. The gig in South Yorkshire is a possibility for me smile

Thanks for the reminder

T smile

Hi Tripsy; - I know it's still on Ham-Bone's tour list for here, but if the S.Yorks date you're thinking of is The Station, Swinton, you may want to check it first. I may be wrong, but I had heard it closed last week-end.

Please do check - if I'm wrong, I apologise, and if I'm the bearer of bad news (again), I apologise.  Sheesh, I can't win.....

Mike