Topic: The Golf Soapbox

I was wondering when this would happen and it finally did - Tiger fired his good friend and caddy Steve Williams.  Since Tiger's taken nearly a year and a half off from competitive golf Steve decided to work for Adam Scott in the interim.  Williams strikes me as the kind of person that needs to stay active, but Tiger apparently saw it as disloyalty.  The only thing still missing from Tiger's freefall is the sound of the toilet flush.  Pretty sad.

Re: The Golf Soapbox

The question being asked over here is.... why now?

I heard Steve Williams saying in a radio interview, "It's like i've wasted the last 2 years of my life".

GOOD KARMA - http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3zkw … o1_500.jpg
Avatar Credit: D.Hirst,Olympic Union Flag
Adele: RAH http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Oio8V3e3WU&ob=av2e -
We Are The Champ20ns

Brack wrote:

The question being asked over here is.... why now?

I heard Steve Williams saying in a radio interview, "It's like i've wasted the last 2 years of my life".

I'll tell him why - It's because Adam Scott is the closest thing to Tiger Woods.  Uses Tiger's old coach Butch Harmon and his swing is identical to the one Tiger used to have.  Wood's ego is unmatched in golf and he won't tolerate what he perceives as betrayal by Steve.  In Tiger's defense I'm sure Williams was paid while Tiger was off.  I talked to some caddies at Pebble Beach and they said Scott is referred as the "White Tiger".

The world is in a constant state of flux because it's inhabited by people. There is nothing new about a player changing his caddie. Tiger did it before when he had Mike "Fluff" Cowan on the bag. Probably now the longest running player/caddie relationship is Phil Mickelson and Jim "Bones" MacKay. Heck, even Joe Bonamassa separated himself from Eric Czar and Kenny Kramme and hardly anyone saw that coming!

So let's not jump to conclusions as to why this happened, it's simply Tiger clearing his house to start new. When it comes to money and fame, everything goes out the window including friendships.

Roy

Joe is the Best!

Golf? Has all the paint in the world dried?  lol

makingamaddashwithapaintbrushtomakewetpaintandavoidtalkingaboutgolf

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

I don't care who you are that's funny!......Hey!....Wait a second....that ain't funny.  What the *&!@ you sayin' pal?

No actual reason was given and nobody will probably ever know the true reason. Tiger is not one for speaking from the heart. Every interview I've ever seen him give sounds totally scripted. I'd love to see someone slip him some sodium penethol and hear him spill his guts, that would be well worth tuning in. The bottom line for Steve Williams as well as other Pro Caddies is, if they aren't carrying somebodies clubs they're not gettin' paid.

Think Gr$$n,

J Dawg

What is success? Is it do yo' own thang, or is it to join the rest?   -Allen Toussaint

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

Hahahahahaha!! I noticed you stopped in and posted Nic. Are you a closet golf enthusiast?

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

LOL no... I'm just loitering.

Basketball and golf are two things I'm terrible at, and never liked them because of it. I guess it only makes sense to like the things you are good at!  lol

I'll give credit where credit is due thought... golf is a good sport.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

10 (edited by Curby 2011-08-02 15:30:36)

Just saw a recent photo of Le Tigre and dude it looks like he's spendt the last three months in the shagillac.  The guy's aging faster than Madonna.  Ouch!#$

Curby wrote:

Just saw a recent photo of Le Tigre and dude it looks like he's spendt the last three months in the shagillac.  The guy's aging faster than Madonna.  Ouch!#$

I heard an interview with him today on the BBC radio, his doctor says he's ready to go back to work. We'll see if he's right.... won't we!

We Are The Champ20ns

Brack wrote:
Curby wrote:

I heard an interview with him today on the BBC radio, his doctor says he's ready to go back to work. We'll see if he's right.... won't we!

You two are just awful! lol Hey, who said Golf is not exciting? wink Actually, I think it was Nic!

Roy

Joe is the Best!

WGC Invitational

Caddie Steve Williams claimed helping Adam Scott to victory was the most satisfying win he's ever had - two weeks after being axed by Tiger Woods.

We Are The Champ20ns

Steve also made 3 times what Tiger did this weekend.

How often do the networks interview anyones caddy after  the 72nd hole ?  NEVER. So they talk to S.W. and he speaks from the heart (slight dig on T.W. or not ) and now he has to say sorry for what he said just to save face with the media. I was never a huge Adam Scott fan,for no particuler reason, but as soon as i realised that Faller,Day and Ryo werent going to catch him and make a match out of it, i was wanting him to beat T.W. by as many strokes as he possibly could. S.W. decided to dedicate his life to A.S.. He made probably $140.000.00 (typically 10% of your players winnings). Id say that was sweet too.

Tell me about the car i saw parked outside your door ? Tell me what you left me waiting two or three hours for ? Tell me why when the phone rings, baby, your up and across the floor ? Please dont keep me wondering no more.....

Brack wrote:

WGC Invitational

Caddie Steve Williams claimed helping Adam Scott to victory was the most satisfying win he's ever had - two weeks after being axed by Tiger Woods.

Man, TW gots ta be simmering about that WC.  In his mind Adam stole his coach, swing, caddie and now the GD prize money!!........

17 (edited by Bill S 2011-08-10 12:48:56)

I never heard SW's interview and don't really care (much ado about nothing, IMO), but there was an interesting article in the Chicago Sun-Times today. It basically said that SW's has always been pretty full of himself, and that the skills of a caddie were overrated in terms of their influence on winning a tournament. Everybody out there knows the yardage within inches, everyone knows which way the greens break, and that the caddies biggest challenge is carrying a heavy bag in extreme heat.
The writer basically said SW's was full of himself and for him to act as though he had anything to do with beating TW's was bullspit AND was insulting to Adam Scott.
The author of the article caddied for a long time and said he knew what he was talking about.

I never caddied, but I have to agree.

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

I watch a lot of sports shows, especially Around the Horn and PTI on ESPN. Almost all of them agree that Stevie is basically a jerk. Tiger made him, not vice versa. He made some 10 million dollars working for Tiger. He just needs to shut his mouth and caddy, and yeah it's not that hard of a job especially when your guy is #1 in the world. Adam Scott won't put up with it for too long. I set the over/under for him caddying for Adam at 7 more tournaments, he'll figure a way to talk himself out of that job.
Are we ready for some football...er, yeah I meant golf that is. PGA here we come, last chance this year for an American to take a major. Go Phil, but I'll pull for Ricky Fowler again. He is overdue for a win somewhere.

Tres

As corn through a goose, so are the days of our lives