Re: Technique/Theory Thread

Go listen to Flight Over Rio and THEN talk to me about alternate picking

"Music is the only thing that you can share with a million million people and you don't lose, you gain. It helps you to get energy and to live long, because when your soul is very happy then you don't want to die." - Ali Akbar Khan

Anybody mess with those "Stormy" Changes?

Early 80's 1957 U.S. Vintage Reissue Stratocaster (Surf Green)-Warmouth Soloist  Pearly Gates Neck, Pearly Gates Bridge- Larrivee D-03 (Mahogany/ Spruce)
Carmen Ghia Head- Marshall 112 Cab W/G12H 30  or  Custom 4 X 6v6 Head  or  Budda Twinmaster Plus Head-Traynor 212 Cab w/Eminence Texas Heats. 
Mo'D-Eternity-Blues Pro- Timmy-BYOC Chorus/Vibrato- TC SCF- Korg DT 10 Pedal Tuner

So, what tunes are you guys working on?

I've been working on "Desdemona" by The Allman Brothers Band. Great tune, interesting chord changes, and a lot of band dynamics. I love the way the whole band let's things simmer, and then builds it all up to climax. I guess 40(?) years of playing together means you can do that! Whew!

I'm also working up an arrangement of "You're A Mean One, Mister Grinch", for my students to learn this Holiday Season. Thought that might be a fun one!

So, anybody working on a tune?

Early 80's 1957 U.S. Vintage Reissue Stratocaster (Surf Green)-Warmouth Soloist  Pearly Gates Neck, Pearly Gates Bridge- Larrivee D-03 (Mahogany/ Spruce)
Carmen Ghia Head- Marshall 112 Cab W/G12H 30  or  Custom 4 X 6v6 Head  or  Budda Twinmaster Plus Head-Traynor 212 Cab w/Eminence Texas Heats. 
Mo'D-Eternity-Blues Pro- Timmy-BYOC Chorus/Vibrato- TC SCF- Korg DT 10 Pedal Tuner

130 (edited by Musicinmysoul 2008-10-17 14:40:40)

Im more working on a concept...flowing between pentatonic boxes with groups of four notes that kind of stretch between two boxes allowing you to move much more fluently...its hard to describe. Ill post a tab of it this afternoon when im not in class.

Edit: Email me for the tab!

"Music is the only thing that you can share with a million million people and you don't lose, you gain. It helps you to get energy and to live long, because when your soul is very happy then you don't want to die." - Ali Akbar Khan

Ok Joe please be patient with me cuz you probably already answered this question a 1000 times.  Besides recording yourself and listening to what you are practicing, what techniques do you use to practice on a daily basis?

Barry

2009 Gibson Les Paul 1958 VOS (with black plastic)
2008 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Goldtop (with the cream plastic from the 58RI)
> Marshall Bluesbreaker 2 pedal >Boss sd-1> DD3 > Vox Ac15cc1

I don't think Joe posts on this thread. But, there IS a thread "Sticky'd" near the top of the General Topics. I think it's a collection of all of the different Tips and bits of Playing Advice that JB has posted.

Others here, will probably chime in though.

Personally, I try to set Goals. Long Term and Short Term Goals. Then, I design a "plan" to make the best use of my practice sessions.

So, what do you want to accomplish?

Here it is!

http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4546

Anybody else checked out the video from Chuck D'Aloia? It's on his website. Great stuff! He shows a lot of ideas in the vein of Robben Ford and Larry Carlton. Easy to follow, if you've been playing for awhile.

One thing he does, is shows how to play over various Chord Changes, with the Minor Pentatonic Scale, by just changing 1 Note here and there.

It's called "Blues With Brains". Check it out, if you're into this type of playing. There is a large Thread on it, over on TGP.

So, anybody learn some Tunes off of TBOJH?

Has anyone figured out the EJ type 3 note per string run that Joe uses often in his solos.  There's definitely one that he favors. I've seen him live 3x now and can't get a bead on it.  You can hear it pretty prominently in Tea For One or So Many Roads.

Thanks,

"Chicago" Dave Schutt
Main Channel Band
Charlotte, NC

So, I was just noodling on the guitar, and I noticed something you guys probably already know about. But, I'll share it.

Thinking about the "As Above/So Below" comments I've read from Steve Kimock, I took the Am Pentatonic Scale, and tried to look at it's inverse. At least that's what I think you'd call it.

Am Pent. = A C D E G A

Also seen as m3 2 2 m3 2

Starting again on A, and heading lower;

m3 2 2 m3 2

This yields (Descending);

A F# E D B A

These Notes also make up Bm Pent.

Combining these 2 sets of Notes, and collapsing them into 1 Octave with a Literal Tonal Center of A, you get this:

A B C D E F# G A

A Dorian. At least, the same Notes.

Not sure of the signifigance of this information. But, it does seem like something I can exploit. Now, I just have to let it soak in for awhile. Maybe I can find a use for it.

Waddayathink?

Here's a "monthly" (or so!) column by Carl Verheyen:

http://www.guitarjamdaily.com/index.php … ering.html

Search through the site, and you can find a LOT of great info. All of the columns by Carl are really good. Here's one more:

http://www.guitarjamdaily.com/index.php … iting.html

Anyway, thought you guys might like this!

Budda wrote:

So, I was just noodling on the guitar, and I noticed something you guys probably already know about. But, I'll share it.

Thinking about the "As Above/So Below" comments I've read from Steve Kimock, I took the Am Pentatonic Scale, and tried to look at it's inverse. At least that's what I think you'd call it.

Am Pent. = A C D E G A

Also seen as m3 2 2 m3 2

Starting again on A, and heading lower;

m3 2 2 m3 2

This yields (Descending);

A F# E D B A

These Notes also make up Bm Pent.

Combining these 2 sets of Notes, and collapsing them into 1 Octave with a Literal Tonal Center of A, you get this:

A B C D E F# G A

A Dorian. At least, the same Notes.

Not sure of the signifigance of this information. But, it does seem like something I can exploit. Now, I just have to let it soak in for awhile. Maybe I can find a use for it.

Waddayathink?

I think it would sound real nice over an am7/D9 thing.

Rock On and Keep the Faith

Jack Loves Patty Loves Joe

Yeah, it definately works for that! Just like Oya Como Va.

But, give it a try over an "A Blues". Pretty hip, if you ask me. wink

There are some cool, non-diatonic uses in there......................

141 (edited by Budda 2009-04-11 22:37:48)

Here's something I think some of you guys/gals may find helpful. It's just a few different ways to help visualize and navigate the Fretboard.

Check it out:

-|--------------------|--------------------|--------------------|-------------
-|--------------------|--------------------|--3--4--5--6--7--8--|-------------
-|--------------------|--2--3--4--5--6--7--|--------------------|-------------
-|--2--3--4--5--6--7--|--------------------|--0--1--2--3--4--5--|-------------
-|--------------------|--0--1--2--3--4--5--|--------------------|-------------
-|--0--1--2--3--4--5--|--------------------|--------------------|-------------
   2 Strings + 2 Frets For Octaves          2 Strings + 3 Frets For Octaves   

-|--3--4--5--6--7--8--|-|--------------------|--5--6--7--8--9--10-|-|---------
-|--------------------|-|--5--6--7--8--9--10-|--------------------|-|---------
-|--0--1--2--3--4--5--|-|--------------------|--2--3--4--5--6--7--|-|---------
-|--------------------|-|--2--3--4--5--6--7--|--------------------|-|---------
-|--------------------|-|--------------------|--0--1--2--3--4--5--|-|---------
-|--------------------|-|--0--1--2--3--4--5--|--------------------|-|---------
                          "Stacking Octaves"                                  

-|--0------------------|--3---------------------|--------------0--|-|---------
-|-----5---------------|-----8------------------|-----------0--5--|-|---------
-|--------9------------|--------12--------------|--------0--4-----|-|---------
-|----------14---------|------------17----------|-----0--5--------|-|---------
-|--------------19-----|----------------22------|--0--5-----------|-|---------
-|-----------------24--|--------------------27--|--5--------------|-|---------
  Unison Notes "5 Fret Rule" (G to B Strings, 4 Frets!)                       

-|-------|---------|-------|---------|--------|---------|-------|---------|---
-|-------|---------|-------|---------|--------|---------|-------|---------|---
-|-------|---------|-------|---------|--------|---------|--4-5--|--16-17--|---
-|-------|---------|-------|---------|--9-10--|--21-22--|-------|---------|---
-|-------|---------|--2-3--|--14-15--|--------|---------|-------|---------|---
-|--7-8--|--19-20--|-------|---------|--------|---------|-------|---------|---
   "B-C Connections"                                                          

-|-------|---------|--7-8--|--19-20--|-|--------------------------------------
-|--0-1--|--12-13--|-------|---------|-|--------------------------------------
-|-------|---------|-------|---------|-|--------------------------------------

-|-----|-----|--3--|--0--|-----|-|--------------------------------------------
-|--1--|-----|-----|-----|--3--|-|--------------------------------------------
-|-----|--2--|--0--|-----|-----|-|--------------------------------------------
-|-----|-----|-----|--2--|--0--|-|--------------------------------------------
-|--3--|--0--|-----|-----|-----|-|--------------------------------------------
-|-----|-----|--3--|--0--|-----|-|--------------------------------------------
   Octaves Within C A G E D Forms                                             

-|-|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|-8-|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|--------------
-|-|-1-|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|-13|---|---|--------------
-|-|---|---|---|---|-5-|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|--------------
-|-|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|-10|---|---|---|---|---|--------------
-|-|---|---|-3-|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|-15|--------------
-|-|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|-8-|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|--------------
     C Notes Outline The C A G E D  Forms Of The C Chord                      

Hope this helps!