109 (edited by Geko 2008-01-12 12:52:31)

Re: Technique/Theory Thread

Hi Budda How are you I hope fine...lets do little Magic on the Guitar
mabye tomorrow

Are you Ready? wink

Hi Budda whats up with you ? my guitars get hot ...lol

and to you  greetz my frind

Geko,

I haven't forgotten you! I've been moving my teaching studio, and re-scheduling a LOT of my students, for the new year. So, that's taken up all of my free time.

I found my Webcam, and will try to get something going, really soon. It'll be nice to put a face to your "virtual voice".

Early 80's 1957 U.S. Vintage Reissue Stratocaster (Surf Green)-Warmouth Soloist  Pearly Gates Neck, Pearly Gates Bridge- Larrivee D-03 (Mahogany/ Spruce)
Carmen Ghia Head- Marshall 112 Cab W/G12H 30  or  Custom 4 X 6v6 Head  or  Budda Twinmaster Plus Head-Traynor 212 Cab w/Eminence Texas Heats. 
Mo'D-Eternity-Blues Pro- Timmy-BYOC Chorus/Vibrato- TC SCF- Korg DT 10 Pedal Tuner

ok say when you are right..... i wait it ....keep slow wink

Wow, I forgot about this thread! Anybody up for swapping some Technique/Theory, or cool effect ideas?

And Geko, sorry I fell off the map for so long. How are you doing?

Early 80's 1957 U.S. Vintage Reissue Stratocaster (Surf Green)-Warmouth Soloist  Pearly Gates Neck, Pearly Gates Bridge- Larrivee D-03 (Mahogany/ Spruce)
Carmen Ghia Head- Marshall 112 Cab W/G12H 30  or  Custom 4 X 6v6 Head  or  Budda Twinmaster Plus Head-Traynor 212 Cab w/Eminence Texas Heats. 
Mo'D-Eternity-Blues Pro- Timmy-BYOC Chorus/Vibrato- TC SCF- Korg DT 10 Pedal Tuner

Hi Budda thank you for asking ; i have missed you too ..... wink
im still practice the little time i have, Mabye 1 ,1/2 hour a day
its up on How mutch work  the day has
next month some of the forum Frinds and me visit the Davon Allman Show
i hope we get some good Musik arround the ears
next day we Barbecue at my home
and Eva Plays Guitar too so we try to jam i hope
at December 4th we Go to a Joe Show here in Germany also with a lot of Fameley
and Forum Frinds

so whats up how to Jam via webcam there you can show me what exactley you mean in a few seconds
its better that reading notes and can`t imagen how to play them technikal
but feel free some people dosent like webcam s  me either
but for learnig its a very practikal tool
for example you tube vid`s  a.s.o
see you greetz
Geko

Big thread...I'm not going to read through it all, but it looks cool, and I'll get a leg in on it for future posts.

"Music is the only thing that you can share with a million million people and you don't lose, you gain. It helps you to get energy and to live long, because when your soul is very happy then you don't want to die." - Ali Akbar Khan

Hi Musicinmysoul i have a real nice technique found its in a wonderfull Melody and its played by Andy MCkee i dont know mabye you allready know it but its a great arrangement

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=JsD6uEZsIsU

and i think with this technique you can do mutch with different cords
wow!!! i can watch that all day .....smile

Joe if you read this post How do you like it?

greetz Geko

117 (edited by Musicinmysoul 2008-08-12 16:55:33)

Wow, there is a LOT going on there. It appears as if he's got the capo no going all the way across the fret board...the eff??

"Music is the only thing that you can share with a million million people and you don't lose, you gain. It helps you to get energy and to live long, because when your soul is very happy then you don't want to die." - Ali Akbar Khan

This freaking guy is awesome!

Rock On and Keep the Faith

Jack Loves Patty Loves Joe

Well, I thought I'd try and revive this thread. So, here's some more:

Some different ideas for superimposing various chords over M7 chords.

---------------------------------|------------------------------------------|-
---------------------------------|---------------------------10--13--10/11v-|-
---------------------------------|------------9--12------11-----------------|-
-------------5-4-------7--4v-----|--------10---------12---------------------|-
----------7------5--7------------|----12------------------------------------|-
----5--8-------------------------|------------------------------------------|-
Over GM7 Play it's ii V  (Am  D7)  These resolve to F#7 As In "The Thrill   

---------12--15--12-----------------------------------|-----------------------
-----13--------------13--10-------------10/11-10/11v--|-----------------------
-14--------------------------10h11--------------------|-----------------------
------------------------------------12----------------|-----------------------
------------------------------------------------------|-----------------------
------------------------------------------------------|-----------------------
Is Gone" by B.B. King                                                       

------------------------------------------|-----------------------------------
----------7b8----------6b7----------------|-----------------------------------
-------5------------7---------------2b3---|-----------------------------------
--5h7----------5h7----------2h4-----------|-----------------------------------
---------------------------------4--------|-----------------------------------
------------------------------------------|-----------------------------------
  Thinking Of A "Country" Type Of Feel We Could Add Some 6ths. And Some 1/2   

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Step Bends

Bump.

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

My favorite is the old "Ace Frehley"

On your Les Paul, turn the rythm volume all the way down and have the treble volume all the way up. Play on your lead pickup.  When soloing/sustaining notes - flick your toggle switch up and down (like a 4 year old playing with the light switch) to get the notes to "stutter" or cut in and out...  Pretty fun if you have a guitar with good sustain.

thats my .02 cent trick.

I love that technique! like the same as a kill switch.
its awesome, i do it on my mates les paul all the time lol

Scagey

Jamming with Joe and Bernie Marsden:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18zqg3brNH8

Here's another trick to try.
I have a Fulltone Supa-trem which has a "hard" , or square wave trem setting, giving a really choppy sound.
Set the trem at a medium speed and stat playing pretty much anything, in time with the trem.  Now, aim to attack the string while the trem wave is in the trough, ie, when there is "silence".
What you are aiming for is to not hear the attack on the string, but instead you get a really quick volume swell, like Joe playing the Rachmanninoff thing.
I do this at various speeds, just to play around, but also to refine my attack and picking accuracy and to make my brain do a less obvious thing.  When you first start, you will probably tend to time your attack with the peak of the wave.  Making youself attack the trough is harder and messes with your head a little.
I aim for a really smooth violin tone, and then strat playing little riffs and melodies etc.  It's just a fun effect.
To do it fast takes a lot of concentration, and I like that.

Music is in the spaces, so is life.

That sounds like a cool effect! I'll have to try it out, next time I'm around a Trem pedal.

I could see adding a lot of reverb to that, to get some thick sounding stuff.

Here's something fun to try: Stormy Monday style changes. There are a LOT of variations on these. So, it would be cool if everyone posted their favorite version/substitutions, etc.

Stormy Monday changes are a great set of changes. They have a lot more movement, and include some cool "7th." Chords.
Here's one version, in G:

I G7 I C9 I G7 I G7 I

I C9 I C9 I G7 Am7 I Bm7 Bbm7 I

I Am7 I D9 I G7 C9 I G7 D9 :II

These Changes are a blast to play! Try them out as a solo guitar piece, too. Maybe try fingerpicking through them. You just may find some new sounds!

I don't know wether it's already posted or not, i haven't read everything..but..

The ericjohnson-picking lines..is really every note picked? I just can't seem to get this one down at full speed..

e|-15-12------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
b|---------15-12----------15-12------------------------------------------------------------------
g|-----------------14-12----------14-12--------14-12--------------------------------------------
d|-----------------------------------------14-12--------14-12---------14-12---------------------
a|---------------------------------------------------------------14-12---------14-12-------------
E|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------15-12------

Well, he does it with Alternate Picking, and sometimes with Hammers and Pulls. That particular Phrase is kinda tricky, to Alternate Pick it at high speeds. So, you may want to keep working on it. But also, work it up to speed with Hammer-ons and Pull-offs. As long as you use some judicious Palm Muting, you can simulate the sound of Alternate Picking. At least, pretty close.

And earlier in this thread, there are some really good ideas and tips for working on picking. Check them out, if you get a chance.