Re: Technique/Theory Thread

Jess wrote:

eg. G mixolydian on the G string

g---0-----2------4------5-----7-------9------10----12------------------------

You could also play it on any other string just by starting at a different note.

eg g mixo on the high e which starts on the E, but are exactly the same notes as above.

e---0----1----3-----5----6----8-----10----12----------

I think you mean:
e---0----1----3-----5----7----8-----10----12

G Mixolydian is C Major starting with the dominant essentially, therefore you're working with all the "plain" or natural notes. The 6th fret on an e string is B flat, and doesn't belong in the G Mixolydian.
Also, by starting on fret 0 of the e string, you are not playing a G Mixolydian scale anymore, but an E Phrygian. Still the same notes of the C Major scale, but applied to the third degree of the scale.

92 (edited by Jess 2007-11-11 05:36:02)

yeah woops typo.... i'll fix it up.

-Jess
Check out my band Beth and The Black Cat Bones http://www.myspace.com/bethandtheblackcatbones
Also my own page for my guitar playing http://www.myspace.com/jesszub

93 (edited by Fretwork 2007-11-30 09:10:44)

If you are an adult who is unable to commit to a weekly guitar lesson because of schedule conflict, finances or whatever, some guitar teachers offer "floating" lessons.  Basically, you contact the teacher and they offer open spots in their schedule or at the end of their teaching schedule.  If you can hook up you pay as you go.  Most lessons are a half hour long and cost anywhere from $15 to $25 for a half hour session.  If it is at a store, you may be required to pay a registration fee.  The downside is that most teachers don't have an abundance of openings to choose from as they usually use the open spots for make-up lessons for their own students.  If you are serious about guitar, meeting once a month isn't going to help much, but you can still have a teacher evaluate your technique and assign specific exercises to maximize your practice time or just work on a specific song.  The best times to get in for floating lessons are over the holidays when a lot of students are off anyway and during the summer months.  Sometimes over the holidays my students who have gone away to college come back home and sign up for a couple of lessons and that's always a treat.

I remember reading somewhere that Randy Rhodes (spell?) used to hook up with local guitar teachers for lessons in whatever city he was playing a gigs in.  Can you imagine, Randy coming into your freaking studio for a lesson?  I would probably hand him all of my guitars and go cry somewhere!

"There is nothing to it.  You only have to hit the right notes at the right time and the instrument plays itself."---Johann Sebastian Bach

Fretwork wrote:

I remember reading somewhere that Randy Rhodes (spell?) used to hook up with local guitar teachers for lessons in whatever city he was playing a gigs in.  Can you imagine, Randy coming into your freaking studio for a lesson?  I would probably hand him all of my guitars and go cry somewhere!

Yeah he would go look up the best classical teacher in the area and go take a lesson from them...

"Interestingly, according to modern astronomers, space is finite. This is a very comforting thought-- particularly for people who can never remember where they have left things." - Woody Allen

http://www.last.fm/user/skynyrd128

Yeah, the "Floating Lessons" thing is something I offer. I have a lot of students who are in sales, the medical fields, pilots, military, or law enforcement, etc. And the flexibility works well for them.

Usually, I can find a spot for them in the late morning/Noon/early afternoon time slots. I charge them for 1 month of lessons. But, they can take them at any time I have an opening, within a 3 month period.

I also offer single one-time sessions. They cost a little more, because I have to get everythnig scheduled, set-up, etc.

I highly recommend weekly sessions, though. Having a steady goal, and time to be accountable, is very important for most people. I mean, if we were all so good about steadily working on our own we would have the time for weekly sessions anyway! LOL Many students come for 1 or 2 months. Then, that take a break. Then, about every 4 to 6 months, they sign up for another month or two.

Plus, Joe Bonamassa is teaching guitar now! Every month in Guitar World magazine. GET IT! And be sure to get the optional CD-ROM with it. There's video examples included with the CD-ROM.

Early 80's 1957 U.S. Vintage Reissue Stratocaster (Surf Green)-Warmouth Soloist  Pearly Gates Neck, Pearly Gates Bridge- Larrivee D-03 (Mahogany/ Spruce)
Carmen Ghia Head- Marshall 112 Cab W/G12H 30  or  Custom 4 X 6v6 Head  or  Budda Twinmaster Plus Head-Traynor 212 Cab w/Eminence Texas Heats. 
Mo'D-Eternity-Blues Pro- Timmy-BYOC Chorus/Vibrato- TC SCF- Korg DT 10 Pedal Tuner

So, what about a simple "A" chord? Ted Greene knew a little bit about those......

http://www.tedgreene.com/images/lessons … triads.pdf

Enjoy!

Early 80's 1957 U.S. Vintage Reissue Stratocaster (Surf Green)-Warmouth Soloist  Pearly Gates Neck, Pearly Gates Bridge- Larrivee D-03 (Mahogany/ Spruce)
Carmen Ghia Head- Marshall 112 Cab W/G12H 30  or  Custom 4 X 6v6 Head  or  Budda Twinmaster Plus Head-Traynor 212 Cab w/Eminence Texas Heats. 
Mo'D-Eternity-Blues Pro- Timmy-BYOC Chorus/Vibrato- TC SCF- Korg DT 10 Pedal Tuner

I think you are trying too hard Conner...hey, but good luck with all the boring scales

Here's a "Quick and Dirty" trick for getting some cool Melodic Minor sounds under your fingers:

Try playing a Minor Pentatonic scale, off of the b3rd. of a Dominant Chord.

EX: Over D7, try playing Fm Pentatonic.

D7 = D F# A C (E G B)

Fm Pent. = F Ab Bb C Eb F

What I realized, was the differences between D Dominant (Mixolydian), and Eb Melodic Minor.

Since playing Mel. Min. a 1/2 step above the V chord, is a common use for this scale, I just looked for the differences between the "proper" scale/arpeggio (Mixolydian/13th. chord), and the Mel. Min. a 1/2 step up.

Eb Melodic Minor = Eb F Gb Ab Bb C D Eb
D Mixolydian = D E F# G A B C D

So, the only real differences are Eb F Ab Bb

(The Gb is an Enharmonic Equivilent to F#)

Fm Pentatonic contains these new "Tensions", plus one more "Consonant" note, the C, in a very comfortable and familiar setting.

Fm Pent. = F Ab Bb C Eb F

I'll try to post some TAB, soon.

Anyway, if any of you guys decide to give it a try, let me know how it worked for you.

Geko,

Hey! Have you seen the Joe Bonamassa TABS in GUITAR EDGE Magazine? It's got "Woke Up Dreaming", I think. Also, there is a JB INSTRUCTIONAL Column in Guitar World Magazine.

I thought these would be a good start for your repertoire.

If you decide to tackle one of the tunes, I'll be glad to work through it with you.

Let me know.

Joe's column in February '08 is called "Handpicked" - Combining Picking Techniques for Rhythnm and Lead Playing.

"There is nothing to it.  You only have to hit the right notes at the right time and the instrument plays itself."---Johann Sebastian Bach

Budda wrote:

Yeah, the "Floating Lessons" thing is something I offer. I have a lot of students who are in sales, the medical fields, pilots, military, or law enforcement, etc. And the flexibility works well for them.

Usually, I can find a spot for them in the late morning/Noon/early afternoon time slots. I charge them for 1 month of lessons. But, they can take them at any time I have an opening, within a 3 month period.

I also offer single one-time sessions. They cost a little more, because I have to get everythnig scheduled, set-up, etc.

I highly recommend weekly sessions, though. Having a steady goal, and time to be accountable, is very important for most people. I mean, if we were all so good about steadily working on our own we would have the time for weekly sessions anyway! LOL Many students come for 1 or 2 months. Then, that take a break. Then, about every 4 to 6 months, they sign up for another month or two.

Plus, Joe Bonamassa is teaching guitar now! Every month in Guitar World magazine. GET IT! And be sure to get the optional CD-ROM with it. There's video examples included with the CD-ROM.

I just got the new issue of Guitar World (pretty much solely because of the Joe column, tbh), but unfortunately it didn't come with the CD-ROM. sad

This sucks because I am pretty terrible at reading rhythms, and suck at reading music in general.

Oh how I wish I had an amazing and innate sense of rhythm....

Well, the night I was born
Lord I swear the moon turned a fire red

Thanx for the tips... A lot like what my guitar teacher said... thanx again!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

I hope you guys have a wonderful holiday.

I thought I'd share something with you guys, in the spirit of the Holidays. Every year, I arrange a different Holiday Tune for my students. This year, it's "Christmas Time Is Here" by Vince Guaraldi. So, here is the TAB for the arrangement. I hope you enjoy it. And, if any of you decide to tackle it, please let me know if you need help with fingering, etc.
    I transposed this from the original key of F, up a whole step to G. If you want to match the recording, try tuning your guitar a whole step down (D G C F A D).

Here it is:

#----------------------------------PLEASE NOTE---------------------------------#
#This file is the author's own work and represents their interpretation of the #
#song. You may only use this file for private study, scholarship, or research. #
#------------------------------------------------------------------------------#

CHRISTMAS TIME IS HERE

Transcribed by Budda

Music by Vince Guaraldi
Arranged by Budda

Q=75
  Gmaj9     F13+Gmaj9     F13+C#m7b5Cm7b5   Bm7 Bbm7     Am7 C/D    Gmaj9/A
3/4
  Gtr I
|-2-------|---|-2-------|---|-------------|---------1-|--0-3-0-3-|--5----|
|---3-3-0-|-0-|---3-3-0-|-0-|-0-----------|-------2---|--1-----1-|--7----|
|---------|---|---------|---|---0-0-------|-2---------|--0-------|--0----|
|---------|-1-|---------|-1-|---------1-4-|-0-4-4-----|--------0-|--7----|
|---------|---|---------|---|-4-----3-----|-2-----1---|--0-------|-------|
|-3-------|-1-|-3-------|-1-|-------------|-----------|----------|-------|

Gmaj9     F13+Gmaj9     F13+C#m7b5Cm7b5   Bm7 Bbm7     Am7 C/D    Gadd9
3/4
  Gtr I
|-2-------|---|-2-------|---|-------------|---------1-|--0-3-0-3-|--5----|
|---3-3-0-|-0-|---3-3-0-|-0-|-0-----------|-------2---|--1-----1-|--3----|
|---------|---|---------|---|---0-0-------|-2---------|--0-------|--4----|
|---------|-1-|---------|-1-|---------1-4-|-0-4-4-----|--------0-|--5----|
|---------|---|---------|---|-4-----3-----|-2-----1---|--0-------|-------|
|-3-------|-1-|-3-------|-1-|-------------|-----------|----------|-------|

Ebmaj7    Ab13Ebmaj7    Ab13Bm7 F9       E7           Am7   Eb9 D13
|---------|---|---------|---|------------|------------|-------7-|-7---0--|
|-3-----3-|-3-|-3-----3-|-3-|-3--------3-|-3-0-0------|-------6-|-5-7----|
|---3-3---|-3-|---3-3---|-3-|-2-4-4------|-1--------5-|-5-----6-|-5------|
|-3---5---|-4-|-3---5---|-4-|-------/3---|-2-----/6---|-5-7-7---|--------|
|-6-------|---|-6-------|---|-2----------|------------|-0-----6-|-5------|
|---------|-4-|---------|-4-|------------|------------|---------|--------|

|-2--------|----|-2--------|----|---------------|-----------1-|
|---3-3--0-|-0--|---3-3--0-|-0--|-0-------------|---------2---|
|----------|----|----------|----|----0-0--------|--2----------|
|----------|-1--|----------|-1--|-----------1-4-|--0--4-4-----|
|----------|----|----------|----|-4-------3-----|--2------1---|
|-3--------|-1--|-3--------|-1--|---------------|-------------|

T         T         T           T
|-0--3-0--3-|-5-|-----------------------------5-|--5(17)-*|
|-1-------1-|-3-|---------3---------3--3(15)----|--------*|
|-0---------|-4-|------------4(16)--------------|--------*|
|---------0-|-5-|--5(17)------------------------|--------*|
|-0---------|---|-------------------------------|--------*|
|-----------|---|-------------------------------|--------*|

Of course, the TAB never lines up correctly! Try copy and pasting this, into a Wordpad document. Then, you can use the space bar to re-align all of the vertical "Bar Lines".

Anyway, I hope everyone enjoys this!

Merry Christmas  Budda Thanks For the tabs ...i dont know the original but i try to find it on you toube

i have order the Bonamassa Tab Book at my local Guitar Dealer tomorrow is the last chance  to get it
before Christmas ....but i think i get it after Christmas.... sad 

do you know if it has a CD or DVD in it?

anyway when it arives it would be cool to tackle some of that songs out ....

also i try to find some people to play with ... alone playing is psycho.... big_smile

i tell you when i found the Music by Vince Guaraldi on you toube

here it is i think

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=xDJfHej_o … re=related

i wonder how it sounds in a Blues way played ....ok lets takle out that
we can use the new chat room here on the board to play it so i hear wat exact you like to play

only thing you need is a mic a web cam would be perfect

i also have a cam but it not a must  the mic is most important

then we can start

Ps : when i have ordered the tab book i also have buy a Marshall MG 10 watts CD / headphone plug

its very small and looks little bit like a toy for kids

but it realy souds good its great mobile thing ....i show you on chatroom

ok Budda .....let me know how to go on?

Geko,

That is a beautiful arrangement. And yes, that is the same tune. My arrangement isn't as elaborate, as that one.

I have a webcam somewhere. I'll try to find it, over this Holiday break from work. Maybe we can Jam online! Sounds like fun.

107 (edited by Geko 2007-12-22 12:21:59)

Budda wrote:

Geko,

That is a beautiful arrangement. And yes, that is the same tune. My arrangement isn't as elaborate, as that one.

I have a webcam somewhere. I'll try to find it, over this Holiday break from work. Maybe we can Jam online! Sounds like fun.

Great that you have a web cam  its the easyest way to study together  ...i have tould eva the same mabye she like to join the club

and im sure with some time more people use  the web cam  to Jam / study together in future

i hope so .... the sound settings are possible i never have try this

lets try out when your ready ......it will be lots of fun im sure smile

Have nice christmas days

Geko

Check it out . . .

Blues Deluxe by Joe Bonamassa
Guitar World March 2008
Tone Ranger - Learning to Use Your Guitar's Tone Controls