Re: Technique/Theory Thread

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

very good advice.

I too listen to a live recording from my early 20's, and I used feedback and harmonics to soak up the time between jumping between the scale patterns (instead of flowing through them all)...I cringe.

Practicing using no effects whatsoever really helps you notice clarity as well.

Even though I don't consider myself a shredder, I'd like to be able to do it. I'd like to think if BB wanted to shred, he could do it- he just doesn't want to (or have to). It just bugs me there is something out there and I probably just haven't practiced enough to achieve it. I mean, I can fingertap the old VH Eruption...but when it comes to pulling off an improvised shredding solo, I just don't have it yet.

Can't everyone fingertap VH's Eruption?  Sorry that one is right up there with Smoke on the Water for annoying me.  Oh, and BB can shred.  One of my mentors saw him play in Chicago with Albert King and he was absolutely floored to see this other side of BB.

"There is nothing to it.  You only have to hit the right notes at the right time and the instrument plays itself."---Johann Sebastian Bach

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Bloodline... enough said. 
Joe Bonamassa

hi joe.
how do you think your playing has changed since Bloodline? 
What do you think you've improved on personally?

Fretwork wrote:
NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

very good advice.

I too listen to a live recording from my early 20's, and I used feedback and harmonics to soak up the time between jumping between the scale patterns (instead of flowing through them all)...I cringe.

Practicing using no effects whatsoever really helps you notice clarity as well.

Even though I don't consider myself a shredder, I'd like to be able to do it. I'd like to think if BB wanted to shred, he could do it- he just doesn't want to (or have to). It just bugs me there is something out there and I probably just haven't practiced enough to achieve it. I mean, I can fingertap the old VH Eruption...but when it comes to pulling off an improvised shredding solo, I just don't have it yet.

Can't everyone fingertap VH's Eruption?  Sorry that one is right up there with Smoke on the Water for annoying me.  Oh, and BB can shred.  One of my mentors saw him play in Chicago with Albert King and he was absolutely floored to see this other side of BB.

Thats exacly my point. I can memorize notes like a mo-fo but cannot improvise with any kind of speed. Practice more. I know...

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Here's a BUNCH of great lessons! Videos, (and I think, downloadable TAB). Be sure to scroll through the whole menu. There's a LOT of great stuff.

Enjoy.

http://www.guitarplayertv.com/

Early 80's 1957 U.S. Vintage Reissue Stratocaster (Surf Green)-Warmouth Soloist  Pearly Gates Neck, Pearly Gates Bridge- Larrivee D-03 (Mahogany/ Spruce)
Carmen Ghia Head- Marshall 112 Cab W/G12H 30  or  Custom 4 X 6v6 Head  or  Budda Twinmaster Plus Head-Traynor 212 Cab w/Eminence Texas Heats. 
Mo'D-Eternity-Blues Pro- Timmy-BYOC Chorus/Vibrato- TC SCF- Korg DT 10 Pedal Tuner

77 (edited by Fretwork 2007-11-07 15:36:33)

This time of year in Wisconsin when the cold weather really wreaks havoc on my hands,  I usually switch to a lighter gauge string set to help alleviate some of the discomfort I get when playing during the colder months.  Usually, I use standard .011 gauge strings which include .011,.014,.018,.028,0.38,.049, or lower bottoms depending on the brand.  I swap the .011 for a .010 and the .014 for a .013, leaving the lower strings the same so I don’t sacrifice my tone and I don‘t need to make any other adjustments to the rest of the guitar.   Dean Markley makes a set called LTHB 10-52 (Light/Heavy Bottoms? Or Hybrid?) .010,0.13,.017,.030,0.42,.052 which I really like too.

Also, I posted something about this awhile back, but I swear by it.  Suave Advanced Therapy lotion can prevent calluses from peeling when used daily and it’s inexpensive.  A little more expensive, but works great too is Aquaphor healing ointment found by the lotion at stores.

"There is nothing to it.  You only have to hit the right notes at the right time and the instrument plays itself."---Johann Sebastian Bach

That's a cool tip.

I bet it does get cold! I'm down in Arkansas, so I usually don't have that problem. But, I'll definately keep it in mind. Playing 6 or 7 days a week however, I do get some aches and pains.

Thanks.

Early 80's 1957 U.S. Vintage Reissue Stratocaster (Surf Green)-Warmouth Soloist  Pearly Gates Neck, Pearly Gates Bridge- Larrivee D-03 (Mahogany/ Spruce)
Carmen Ghia Head- Marshall 112 Cab W/G12H 30  or  Custom 4 X 6v6 Head  or  Budda Twinmaster Plus Head-Traynor 212 Cab w/Eminence Texas Heats. 
Mo'D-Eternity-Blues Pro- Timmy-BYOC Chorus/Vibrato- TC SCF- Korg DT 10 Pedal Tuner

WI weather is pretty bad.

I use 11's on my strat - its something you need to play a couple times a week to keep your fingers in shape.  My Gibsons have 10's...I can play those any time.  Back when I started I was useing the Ace Frehley light top/heavy bottom - .09-.46 I believe...

Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

I've used .12's for quite some time now and I don't think I'll ever go back to using lighter strings.  They sure have made my fingers a lot stronger.  If I could find a set of .13's I think I'd try them out, but I never seem to be able to find any.

Well, the night I was born
Lord I swear the moon turned a fire red

Okay, this one is good for anyone who plays guitar.  If you feel like you are in a rut or just bored, pick another style to study for awhile.  If you typically play Rock, play Jazz--mix it up a bit.  Another idea is to try alternate tunings.  There is tremendous growth potenial as a musician when studying other styles.

MontiusWinston wrote:

I've used .12's for quite some time now and I don't think I'll ever go back to using lighter strings.  They sure have made my fingers a lot stronger.  If I could find a set of .13's I think I'd try them out, but I never seem to be able to find any.

Dont bother with 13's. If you want to play 13's, play an acoustic guitar - and I think even those are .12's.
I think players who want .13's want the tough attitude, or follow the SRV thing...which I think he played all different sizes of strings at random times.

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:
MontiusWinston wrote:

Dont bother with 13's. If you want to play 13's, play an acoustic guitar - and I think even those are .12's.
I think players who want .13's want the tough attitude, or follow the SRV thing...which I think he played all different sizes of strings at random times.

Well, I do play acoustic guitar.  I usually have .13's on that.

I'm not really wanting to immitate SRV so much as try them out (don't get me wrong, I am huge Stevie fan).  I am really happy with my .12's, but I'd like to compare the difference between the two (kind of like comparing .11's with the .12's).  I think Stevie's approach to heavy strings fits me well, but it certainly isn't for everyone.  I do like the strength it has developed in my hands though.  Plus I can play them much more aggressively if I feel the need to.

I'd be interested in what you think of the 13s.

I used 13s for a year or two. But, I went back to 11s. The 12 seemed stiffer. But, to me, they didn't seem to add any real tone over the 11s.

For me, the 13s seemed to send too much signal to the amp. Kind of overloaded the input, in an unpleasant way. The amp seemed to struggle with them. Kinda weird.

So, I'd be interested to hear how you like them. It's been over 10 years, since I played 13s. If you like them, I may have to give them another try.

Budda wrote:

I'd be interested in what you think of the 13s.

I used 13s for a year or two. But, I went back to 11s. The 12 seemed stiffer. But, to me, they didn't seem to add any real tone over the 11s.

For me, the 13s seemed to send too much signal to the amp. Kind of overloaded the input, in an unpleasant way. The amp seemed to struggle with them. Kinda weird.

So, I'd be interested to hear how you like them. It's been over 10 years, since I played 13s. If you like them, I may have to give them another try.

I'll let you know what I think of them when I get the chance to get some.

Hello Everyone,

I have picked up alot of really good things from this thread!!!

I posted another thread (Dear Joe) and joe told me to practice mixolydian scales and whatnot... anyone know good practice techniques? I went out and bought a book with every mode and scale... even things i have never heard of. Im just not sure of the best way to practice them... should i just run up and down the scale untill i can use it to solo?

Thanks,
Logan

Block inlay Gibson ES-335, 50th anniversary American Strat, '61 RI White SG, '62 RI Relic Strat, Replica Korina Flying V, Gold Tone Paul Beard Resonator,  '58 Les Paul RI, American Highway 1 Fender Strat, Breedlove Acoustic, Stonetree Joe Bonamassa Custom, HIWATT Lead 100R, Reeves Custom 30.

87 (edited by Jess 2007-11-11 05:34:00)

You don't want to overload yourself with too much information at once cos you won't be able to remember it all and use it freely.

I reckon pick one scale in one key to start off with and play it up and down a few times so you know the shape (then stop playing it up and down, I used to do that alot in college and it never helped to be able to solo with the scale). Just pick little clusters of 3 or 4 notes on strings next to each other (eg, start off with the notes in that scale shape that are on the high e and b strings) and solo with those for a while, then expand to adding an extra note or 2 on another string or moving to a different string set.

Make up as many melodies as you can from those few notes. The more you spend time trying to improvise with a scale the more ideas you will get and you improvising will start sounding better. Its always hard to make a new scale sound good straight away.

I just got a cool book called the Advancing Guitarist and it suggests learning scales down single strings as well which can be helpful for a lot of legato licks and also for knowing the fretboard and the scale.

After you can play the scale and improvse in one position you might want to give playing the scale on a single string a go.

eg. G mixolydian on the G string

g---0-----2------4------5-----7-------9------10----12------------------------

You could also play it on any other string just by starting at a different note.

eg g mixo on the high e which starts on the E, but are exactly the same notes as above.

e---0----1----3-----5----7----8-----10----12----------

-Jess
Check out my band Beth and The Black Cat Bones http://www.myspace.com/bethandtheblackcatbones
Also my own page for my guitar playing http://www.myspace.com/jesszub

thanks alot Jess! That will be a huge help!

Logan

Block inlay Gibson ES-335, 50th anniversary American Strat, '61 RI White SG, '62 RI Relic Strat, Replica Korina Flying V, Gold Tone Paul Beard Resonator,  '58 Les Paul RI, American Highway 1 Fender Strat, Breedlove Acoustic, Stonetree Joe Bonamassa Custom, HIWATT Lead 100R, Reeves Custom 30.

89 (edited by Geko 2007-11-10 18:57:24)

Hi guys have you seen? the Joe Bonamassa Tab Book is out in the store for only 22dollar
i will buy it next month ...think its the best investment in investigation this year smile

Logo33 wrote:

Hello Everyone,

I have picked up alot of really good things from this thread!!!

I posted another thread (Dear Joe) and joe told me to practice mixolydian scales and whatnot... anyone know good practice techniques? I went out and bought a book with every mode and scale... even things i have never heard of. Im just not sure of the best way to practice them... should i just run up and down the scale untill i can use it to solo?

Thanks,
Logan

You want to learn where the notes are in each scale, and how to fit these in with a chord progression, if you're going to apply a scale to a solo. Primarily where your tonic subdominant and dominant lie as you move your scale up the neck. As for making a solo out of the scale, making sure you don't play a clashing note over a new chord is vital, other than that learning how to use the other six notes is a matter of practise and listening. Trial and error and patience are tough lessons but develop you more thoroughly than tabs ever will.