Re: Technique/Theory Thread

This might sound crazy but I find that visualisation works really well to practise things. Listen to a song and play along in your head, visualize your hands playing the right chords, solo etc...this might sound insane but I think it works. My guitar teacher at college used to always tell me to visualise scales and stuff. It helps you remember things and learn things quicker if you do. I've heard of professional who use visualisation a lot in their practise, its great if you can't always have an instrument in your hands.

-Jess
Check out my band Beth and The Black Cat Bones http://www.myspace.com/bethandtheblackcatbones
Also my own page for my guitar playing http://www.myspace.com/jesszub

Excellent suggestion!

Yeah, I visualize guitar playing a lot. Often, I picture myself looking down at the guitar, from my perspective as a player. In my visual, I have incredible tones, and a perfect technique! But, once I've done this a few times, I feel my muscle-memory "gets it" much more quickly.

Early 80's 1957 U.S. Vintage Reissue Stratocaster (Surf Green)-Warmouth Soloist  Pearly Gates Neck, Pearly Gates Bridge- Larrivee D-03 (Mahogany/ Spruce)
Carmen Ghia Head- Marshall 112 Cab W/G12H 30  or  Custom 4 X 6v6 Head  or  Budda Twinmaster Plus Head-Traynor 212 Cab w/Eminence Texas Heats. 
Mo'D-Eternity-Blues Pro- Timmy-BYOC Chorus/Vibrato- TC SCF- Korg DT 10 Pedal Tuner

I also find that visualizing a chord on the fretboard, helps me to hit the "target" chord tones. Really helps to give a lead some direction and shape.

Early 80's 1957 U.S. Vintage Reissue Stratocaster (Surf Green)-Warmouth Soloist  Pearly Gates Neck, Pearly Gates Bridge- Larrivee D-03 (Mahogany/ Spruce)
Carmen Ghia Head- Marshall 112 Cab W/G12H 30  or  Custom 4 X 6v6 Head  or  Budda Twinmaster Plus Head-Traynor 212 Cab w/Eminence Texas Heats. 
Mo'D-Eternity-Blues Pro- Timmy-BYOC Chorus/Vibrato- TC SCF- Korg DT 10 Pedal Tuner

I always love hearing "OUT" playing.  Its kinda hokey, and is full of tension like:  THAT DOESNT SOUND RIGHT!  And then resolving it.  Its byfar the coolest technique, but takes so much work to master it.  I could get into specific theory on what arpeggios or scales to use over certain chords or vamps, but all it really boils down to is that there are good sounding notes, and "out" or wierd sounding notes, and its your job to mix them!  blues is a great way to start with this stuff becuase the chords are all dominant 7ths, with dominant 7th anything goes!   heres one example.   say your playing in E Dorian(Minor scale with a major 6th)  lets say your on the 12th fret in that pentatonic/dorian, blues position.  really establish that your in dorian,  hit that major 6th a lot.  try mixing a B Augmented triad in there, but do it tastefully, put it in a phrase, but play an e minor 7 chord to give you the dorian sound and then play that B augmented triad, it sounds cool!
Enjoy.
Conner

Fender '62 reissue Stratocaster, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio(Stock), Marshall JCM900 100W Head, Original 1972 Carvin 4/12 Cabinet,Ibanez Ts9 Reissue, Keeley Compressor, Boss DD-3 Delay, Vox Wah

I like to listen to John Scofield for some really tasteful outside playing. You can simply just repeat a lick up a fret and your playing outside.

-Jess
Check out my band Beth and The Black Cat Bones http://www.myspace.com/bethandtheblackcatbones

cj19m,

Yeah, that's a cool sound. The B Aug. triad really seems to work well as a kind of "walk down".

Like this:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------12---------------------12------------------12--------------------12--
------------12----12-------------12----12------------12----12--------------12-----
---------14----------14------13-----------13------12----------12-------11---------
---14-------------------14-------------------14-------------------12------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Em/B                           B+                      Em7                   D9

Thanks!

Wow.

So, I get an email from Carl Verheyen, the other night. He's in town, and going to be preforming. He offered to add me to the guest list. I, of course, accepted!

He's backing up a singer/songwriter/guitarist. Apparently, he played on her CD about a year ago. And she flew Carl and a pianist named Nelson Cole out to play a couple of nights at a local performance hall called Windsong Performance Center. There is also a really top notch studio in there. So nice sounding, that I'm thrilled it's here!

I have a copy of Ted Ludwig's newest CD, that was recorded there. It sounds fantastic. Ted is a New Orleans transplant, since the "Exodus" from Katrina. Really a nice guy, and a great player. Little Rock is all the better, for having Ted making music here.

Here's some info on Ted:

http://www.arktimes.com/Articles/Articl … ad8b032816

http://www.brightcove.tv/title.jsp?titl … el=1922839

Back on topic, now:

Windsong is a BEAUTIFUL facility. The main performance hall seats about 300, and has a chamber of some sort below the stage. This makes the whole stage and acoustic amplifier of sorts. I don't know all of the engineering aspects of it. But, the sound is top-notch. Very inspiring place to listen and perform.

Here's a link to Carl's MySpace page: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu … D=78594442

Here's Windsong's Page: http://www.windsongcenter.com/

I couldn't find Nelson Cole's Bio, etc. But, he's an L.A. guy. Really great musician, from what I could tell. He and Carl had never met, before these shows. But, they really meshed well. A tribute to their respective professionalism, I suppose.

Anyway, I learned a lot, just watching and listening.

Most of the songs were in the same couple of keys. Just a handful of chords. So it was great to see what these guys could do with the same 3 or 4 chords, for 90+ minutes. Carl seemed so comfortable injecting his thing into the songs. Really made me feel better about what I strive to do. Because I always try to play what I want to hear. I've tried to copy other players, but it always comes off as only half-real (to me, anyway). I have done a few recording sessions for others. I have tried to give the artists' what they seemed to want. i.e. "Eric Clapton" on this track, or "Doc Watson" on that one. More standard "just like the radio" stuff. But, I am usually much more pleased with myself, when I can do what I consider "my thing". Listening to Carl do his thing over these Bluesy songs, was re-affirming to me. Since I make my living teaching, I have decided to continue with doing my thing. If I was a full-time session guy, I may have to make concessions. But, you know what? I'm not. So......I may not get many calls. But, the ones I do will be things I can really sink my teeth into.

Anyway, it was a very cool lesson for me. Also, I got to hear a great player make 2 of the studio's Twins, an XOTIC BB, BOSS Tuner, BOSS Delay and Reverb pedals, and a Mexican Strat sound incredible. He didn't have his usual rig. But he still sounded like Carl. It's all in the head and hands.

After the show, there was an Artists' Meet and Greet session. Carl came out and found me, bought me a beer (Thanks again, Carl!), and sat with me to talk.

He was so nice and personable. Just like he comes across in the different interviews and things I've read about him. Gracious, too. He sat and listened, while I rambled on. We probably talked for an hour! He shared some great stories, and we talked about different venues for him to come play. I'm hoping he'll be making regular stops in Arkansas, now. Little Rock/North Little Rock is a really nice mid-sized town. We've got a lot going on right now, and the city is really working to become a destination place, for people from all over. And I'm working towards getting some of those "West Coast" guys to come here every year. Maybe a "Guitar Festival" type of thing?

Next time Carl comes to town, maybe I can take him around to some of the local clubs and hangs. Heck, I may even buy a beer, or two!

So, a story I thought I'd share, along with the lesson I received. Sorry to be long-winded (okay, not really sorry!). But, it was a cool night.

44 (edited by cj19m 2007-09-27 12:12:06)

try this one

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------12-15-13/14-----12-----------------------------------
---------11-12-14----------------14----12----------11----------------------
----------------------------------------------13---------14r12r14r11/-----
--------------------------------------------------14------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1e + a2e                                    Baug

So the lick starts on the "e" of 2(it means you count 2, and right when you say "e"  you start the phrase, the subdivision is 16th notes) and is a 16th note phrase all the way through.   the rests(r) are also 16th note rests, so the notes could also be called staccato 8th notes, but its better to emphasis those short notes like above.
My tabbing is nowhere near perfect, so this may make no sense, sorry if its confusing.
Enjoy!
Conner

Fender '62 reissue Stratocaster, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio(Stock), Marshall JCM900 100W Head, Original 1972 Carvin 4/12 Cabinet,Ibanez Ts9 Reissue, Keeley Compressor, Boss DD-3 Delay, Vox Wah

Cool lick! Sounds kinda like something Joe Pass might play.

Is there any Technique or Theory topics you guys want to discuss?

I'm getting some good ideas from the people here. I'd love to keep this thread going. Plus, I'd be glad to share whatever I can.

I like relating scales and chords to the five overlapping root shapes on the fretboard.  I teach my students the five root patterns and challenge them to use them to find all of the C's for example on the fretboard.  Once they get that down, we move on to scales, intervals and chords. 

Pattern 1 - roots on 2nd and 5th strings, two frets apart
Pattern 2 - roots on 5th and 3rd strings, two frets apart
Pattern 3 - roots on 3rd, 1st and 6th strings, three frets apart
Pattern 4 - roots on 1st, 6th and 4th strings, two frets apart
Pattern 5 - roots on 4th and 2nd strings, three frets apart

Hal Leonard publishes a great book by Musicians Institute called "Guitar Fretboard Workbook".  I would highly recommend it to anyone who is studying guitar seriously.

"There is nothing to it.  You only have to hit the right notes at the right time and the instrument plays itself."---Johann Sebastian Bach

That's a great way to start mapping out the fretboard. I like to show students these, too.

I also like to show them how to find unison notes. Any note can also be found 1 string lower, 5 frets higher. The only real exception, is between the B and G strings. That's a 4 fret span.

EX:

Skinny E string, Open = E
          B string, 5th. fret  = E
                             G 9  = E
                            D 14 = E
                            A 19 = E
                            E 24 = E

Cool stuff, Fretwork! Thanks for sharing.

For the other guitar instructors who hang out here.  I just subscribed to a magazine called "Guitar Teacher".  First issue won't arrive until November.  Anyone else get this magazine?

"There is nothing to it.  You only have to hit the right notes at the right time and the instrument plays itself."---Johann Sebastian Bach

I haven't seen that one. Have you received an issue yet? Is it pretty good?

Please let us know what you think of it.

Thanks.

Budda wrote:

I haven't seen that one. Have you received an issue yet? Is it pretty good?

Please let us know what you think of it.

Thanks.

Budda,
I haven't gotten it yet, but when I do I'll be sure to let you know what I think.  You teach too, right?

I never ever practise techniques, but have evolved quickly nevertheless. Not a shredder but can play 16ths at 180 bpm or so

ZampraZ wrote:

I never ever practise techniques, but have evolved quickly nevertheless. Not a shredder but can play 16ths at 180 bpm or so

ZampraZ,
I'm sure you incorporate the techniques right into your practice without even realizing it.  You did say you had a great teacher didn't you?  I'm sure he/she is teaching you all sorts of techniques along the way.

A good way to build your technique, rather than plaing exercises, is just to pick a lick thats above your technical ability and slow it down and learn it until you can play it up to speed.

Just been listening to friday Night In San Francisco by Al Di Meola, Pac de Lucia and John McLaughlin and its absolutely mindblwoing technique on display...a must own for all guitarists imo.

-Jess