Re: Technique/Theory Thread

Speaking of in-ear monitoring... how does that work exactly?  I mean, wouldn't the volume required to overcome the stage volume ruin your hearing?  Or are the in-ear monitors some sort of sound canceling device?

"Interestingly, according to modern astronomers, space is finite. This is a very comforting thought-- particularly for people who can never remember where they have left things." - Woody Allen

http://www.last.fm/user/skynyrd128

Budda wrote:

Anyone got some new tips, or tricks?

Here's a good one: Cheap, in-ear wireless monitor system.

You can get an AKG "guitar Bug" wireless unit. The one that also has the small (cigarette pack sized) receiver.

hmmm! interesting.  how much IS cheap?  now i have to research.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

kwsjb1238 wrote:

Speaking of in-ear monitoring... how does that work exactly?  I mean, wouldn't the volume required to overcome the stage volume ruin your hearing?  Or are the in-ear monitors some sort of sound canceling device?

Generally, if everyone uses the in-ears, the stage volume can be lowered substantially. You can get a better mix, that allows you to "hear" and react to the music better.

And yes, you can block out some of the onstage volume, with in-ears. But, basically you won't need to. You mic your amp up, and you can hear it from anywhere on the stage. Or anywhere offstage. You can usually hear everybody in the band, with a lot more detail. From anywhere. You can walk across the stage, and still hear what the Bass player is doing. Or, the other guitarist. Pretty handy, if you want to move around a lot.

Early 80's 1957 U.S. Vintage Reissue Stratocaster (Surf Green)-Warmouth Soloist  Pearly Gates Neck, Pearly Gates Bridge- Larrivee D-03 (Mahogany/ Spruce)
Carmen Ghia Head- Marshall 112 Cab W/G12H 30  or  Custom 4 X 6v6 Head  or  Budda Twinmaster Plus Head-Traynor 212 Cab w/Eminence Texas Heats. 
Mo'D-Eternity-Blues Pro- Timmy-BYOC Chorus/Vibrato- TC SCF- Korg DT 10 Pedal Tuner

Here's a cool way to practice:

http://www.guitarbt.com/

This site has a lot of good sounding "Backing Tracks", or "Play-Alongs".  These are great to download, and either make a CD, add them to your iPod, or put them into your digital recorder. Then, you can jam along with the "band". Great for working on your timing and phrasing.

Another source of good backing tracks, is Guitar Center. Go by and ask for one of the CDs they give entrants in the Guitarmageddon contest. Usually, they have a few left after the contest. They're good quality tracks. About 1/2 of them were recorded by Pete Anderson. He was the guitarist/producer for Dwight Yoakum.

Anyway, I hope you guys enjoy the link! If any of you try out the tracks, let me know what you think.
    Ciao for now!

Early 80's 1957 U.S. Vintage Reissue Stratocaster (Surf Green)-Warmouth Soloist  Pearly Gates Neck, Pearly Gates Bridge- Larrivee D-03 (Mahogany/ Spruce)
Carmen Ghia Head- Marshall 112 Cab W/G12H 30  or  Custom 4 X 6v6 Head  or  Budda Twinmaster Plus Head-Traynor 212 Cab w/Eminence Texas Heats. 
Mo'D-Eternity-Blues Pro- Timmy-BYOC Chorus/Vibrato- TC SCF- Korg DT 10 Pedal Tuner

Anybody try the Backing Tracks out, yet?

Maybe someone will post a BT of one of Joe's tunes! That would be pretty cool.

What's up, guys?   Anyone working on anything new? I've got something to share:

In an effort to loosen up my picking hand, and to be able to freely switch rhythms and subdivisions, I've got a new exercise I'm working on.

When practicing scales and lines, I'm alternating between different subdivisions.

EX. Playing a scale:

I'll play triplets on beat 1. 16ths. on beat 2. Triplets on beat 3. And 16ths. on beat 4.

The tricky part, is keeping the tempo steady. I can do it. But, it's still easy for me to speed up the triplets and leave a small 16th. note rest, in there. My mind wants to "even out" the beat, to straight 16ths.

Once I can do this in a natural fashion, I will expand the variety and number of subdivisions. I'm hoping I can get just a little piece of that picking hand freedom players like EVH have. I can make myself play mixed rhythms. I just want it to become much more "free", and subconcious.

Let me know how it works for you, if anyone tries this.

Sweeeeet Budda!  Thanks for sharing.  I'll have to give it a try the next time I have a "date" with my guitar.  Oh man, how bad does that sound?

"There is nothing to it.  You only have to hit the right notes at the right time and the instrument plays itself."---Johann Sebastian Bach

Here's another one:

Use the same idea as the sliding rhythm guitar part from ABB's "Stormy Monday".

If you look at the part they play over the G7 chord, it's a Dm inversion, slid up to an Em inversion.

So, Dm yields (in relation to G7) the 5th., b7th., 9th.
Em yields the 6th.(13th.), Root, 3rd.

The overall sound of a G13.

So, I often play 2 minor triads, a whole step apart. Off of the 5th., and the 6th. of a Dominant chord. Thinking of it as 2 triads, gives me a different mindset/approach to my lines.

Hey Guys,
             Heres a couple really cool Rhythmic Techniques:

Rushing or Dragging 16th note phrases.   
            Ok, so I think this is one of the coolest things you can do with your phrasing.  So what you want to do is set a metronome on beat 2 and 4(I Always put it on 2 and 4 because I feel that a metronome thats counting quarter notes is too rigid, 2 and 4 lets you groove a shuffle feel really hard and still keeps you in time).  At first this can be hard.  Just keep at it and once it clicks, youle have it for good.  So once youve got the metronome going, just start doing some 16th note phrases, and you should be right on with the click, thats good, it means you have good time.  Now heres the cool/tricky part.  Aim for a 2 measure phrase(The metronome should click a total of 4 times.  But play slightly infront or behind of the metronome on purpose,  the real trick is to end the phrase right on Beat 1 of that 3rd measure.  This creates a REALLY cool affect, it ads tension to the phrase and really shows your musicianship if you can do it right.  Heres an example of Joe doing it on a Youtube video,  it happens in the second chorus in his solo, its the phrase that he uses to lead into the 4 Chord.  That flurry of notes at the end is a rushed 16th note phrase.  Really cool affect and absolutley BANGIN solo by Joe, keep in mind this was like his second take on the song and hes just improving, AKA  HE CAME UP WITH ALL THAT OFF OF THE TOP OF HIS HEAD.  I bow down to joe in this vid.  the phrase happens between 57 seconds and 1:07.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjVqat4exU0

Also another really cool technique is over a swing feel to play straight 8th notes.  it also ads some tension to the phrase.   Good luck with all the stuff.  remeber that it takes time to master, keep chizeling away at it!
Peace,
Conner

Fender '62 reissue Stratocaster, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio(Stock), Marshall JCM900 100W Head, Original 1972 Carvin 4/12 Cabinet,Ibanez Ts9 Reissue, Keeley Compressor, Boss DD-3 Delay, Vox Wah

one small correction.   That phrase is a mixture of 16th note triplets and rushed 16th notes, still the same concept tho!

Fender '62 reissue Stratocaster, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio(Stock), Marshall JCM900 100W Head, Original 1972 Carvin 4/12 Cabinet,Ibanez Ts9 Reissue, Keeley Compressor, Boss DD-3 Delay, Vox Wah

29 (edited by Budda 2007-07-25 12:09:23)

I really like your point, on rushing and dragging the beat. Sorry I didn't post this earlier.

Here's another exercise that will help you play more melodically. It's a single-string exercise, I got from listening to an interview with Scott Henderson.

Single String Chord Tone Exercise

Playing chord tones over the changes, 1 note per chord.

Working up a single string, and then back down.

--0----|-3---|-5----|-7---|-10---|-12---|-14---|-15---|-19---|-20---|-17----
-------|------|------|------|------|------|------|------|------|------|-------
Em7    Am7   D7   GM7   Em7  Am7   D7    GM7   Em7  Am7    D7   

-|-15---|-12--|-8----|-5---|-3----|-0----|----------------------------------
-|------|------|------|------|------|------|----------------------------------
   GM7    Em7   Am7  D7   GM7   Em7     etc.

I hope you guys like this. This is a really good technique for improving your "hearing", in a melodic way.

Some good stuff, here:  http://mr335.tv/

One VERY useful technique, is to add the Major 3rd. to the Minor Pentatonic, or the Blues Scale. Here's some examples, below.

Note: Usually you always go from the Minor 3rd. to the Major 3rd. Even when descending. So, when descending (in E), skip past the G#, go straight to the G, and then UP to the G#. Then, continue descending.

This really nails the sound of the E7 chord.

Adding the Major 3rd. to the E Minor Pentatonic Scale

-----------------------------0-3/4-0-3/4-0----------------------------|-------
------------------------0-3-----------------3-0-----------------------|-------
-----------------0h1-2--------------------------2-0h1-----------------|-------
------------0-2---------------------------------------2-0-------------|-------
--------0-2------------------------------------------------2-0--------|-------
-0-3/4---------------------------------------------------------3/4-0--|-------
E minor Pentatonic, with added Major 3rd.                                   

------0----2--0----------- |----------3--------|--0---------|-0----------|--------
------0----2--0----------- |------3-5---3h4---|----1/2----|------------|--------
-----0h1--2--0h1---------|-2/4-------------4-|--------2--|---0h1------|--------
---2-------------- 2-------|--------------------|------------|--------2---|--------
--------------------------  |--------------------|------------|------------|--------
--------------------------  |--------------------|------------|------------|--------
   E Blues Rhythm Lick       B7                       A7             E7                 

--------------7---7-----------------------------------------------------------
--------------8b--8b----------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
     Classic "Blue 3rd." Train-Whistle lick, in E. Bend the G note slowly,   

and 1/2 way to the G# note.

Has anyone ever tried bending either of the E strings over the edge of the fretboard/neck so the pitch goes way up a few steps? It's quite funny. I think. =]

That's a pretty extreme technique! I've seen Steve Vai do that. I'll give it a try, tomorrow.

Thanks for the idea. I'll have to try and make it work in a song. That should be "interesting"!

here's one.

play all day everyday!
and quit your day job.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

here's one.

play all day everyday!
and quit your day job.

Now THAT takes some guts... not a bad way to make a living though (as Joe can attest smile )

"Interestingly, according to modern astronomers, space is finite. This is a very comforting thought-- particularly for people who can never remember where they have left things." - Woody Allen

http://www.last.fm/user/skynyrd128

Here's a way to play some cool sounding licks: 6ths.

Here is a 6ths. pattern, in the key of G. I suggest using your middle finger to play all of the notes on the G string. This will help you move smoothly up and down the neck of the guitar. Use your index and ring fingers to play the notes on the E string.

-0---2---3---5---7---8---10---12---14---15---17-----|-|------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------|-|-------------------------
-0---2---4---5---7---9---11---12---14---16---17----|-|-------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------|-|-------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------|-|-------------------------