Re: Henrik Freischlader UK Tour

Here's Pete Feenstras's review of Henrik from London, soon to be added to www.getreadytorock.com with photos by Adrian Gee:

HENRIK FREISCHLADER BAND, Boom Boom Club, Sutton 
16 September 2011

Man of the moment, Henrik Freischlader is a name you will undoubtedly be hearing more from in the not too distant future. Freischlader and his band play the kind of retro tinged, groove laden rock-blues that recalls everyone from Robin Trower to Gary Moore while in his quieter moments he evokes the subtleties of Peter Green. This debut London club date proved that HFB loves to seize the moment in the way that only a classic jam band can and build instrumental blocks of majestic beauty peppered with steely riffs, delicate interplay and an ever present sense of spontaneity.

Henrik's unhurried, almost understated style disguises a locker full of melodic ideas, inventive licks and cutting edge technique. He incrementally worked his way through a succession of stretched out songs with clever dynamics that built the first set towards a climatic finish on the extended 'Bad Dreams’, a number which shifted from the languid to the intense in a gloriously retro styled jam. The song followed a linear progression from its muscular opening via a riff driven groove with laid back vocals and dreamy organ, and in the blink of an eye we were into an extended jam. Initially Henrik brought the number down, teasing out the gentlest of exploratory notes over a subtle tension building groove as he engaged Mo Furhop on organ for some ‘call and response’ interplay. Suddenly the room went quiet and there was a mutual vibe in the making, leaving Henrik to bring the number back in with his whispered vocal and a sudden tension breaking explosive guitar break, as the drummer Björn Krüger thrashed away wildly. This was as emotionally exhausting as it was musically exciting and if the band had finished the gig at that point people would not have complained.
It was also the pivotal moment when everything clicked, from the band’s inspired jamming to the huge crowd reaction as the front row head bangers relived their youth.  And in that illuminated flash you realised we were in the presence of a major talent.

Henrik humorously introduced ‘Break Out’ as ‘loud and long’ and provided the crowd with further evidence of the quartet’s funky power and layered sound on an arrangement that cleverly mirrored the claustrophobic feel of the lyrics; ‘So I’m heading nowhere, Get out of the place I’m in, Just to make up my everywhere, So that I can go back again’. His magisterial guitar playing reached new heights on the brooding and atmospheric ‘The Bridge', the intro of which owed much to Robin Trower. But like so much of Henrik’s set it proved to be anything but predictable, building up layers of intensity before providing a jaw dropping dénouement when Henrik went through the full gamut of his playing ability from some tension building single note repeats and rapid note clusters to searing vibrato and a contrastingly tightly compressed wah wah solo that evoked early Zappa.  All this, while Björn Krüger did his best Ginger Baker impersonation as he drove the band on with imperious force.
Apart from consummate power and drive, the band were equally impressive on the quieter material as Henrik nuanced Peter Green on the drifting blues of ‘The Memory Of Our Love’ and dug deep to conjure up some delicately warm notes on Etta James’s 'I’d Rather Go Blind'. And right there, stage left and at the core of it all was the man himself, always half hidden beneath his peaked cap, with his gentle world weary vocals and a cramped body language that sometimes bordered on the point of  introspection, only to suddenly explode with a scorching flurry of notes to offer you glimpses of his towering ability. Frequently perched sideways on to the crowd, he often appeared transfixed by a spell of intense concentration, broken only by a knowing smile directed at his band mates as he launched into another layer of guitar magic.
And as the band hit the home straight with a brace of songs featuring Henrik’s take on Hendrix and a cover of Roy Buchanan's 'The Messiah Will Come Again’ - dedicated to his hero Gary Moore - the crowd rose as one to greet a new bona fide guitar hero.

Review by Pete Feenstra © www.getreadytorock.com
Photos by Adrian Gee

"The recently formed Edinburgh Blues Club has identified an appetite for the personal communication between musicians and audience that the blues long ago perfected." The Herald Newspaper (Scotland)
http://www.edinburgh-blues.uk

Very nice review, from someone who knows his stuff.

Greenose wrote:

Here's Pete Feenstras's review of Henrik from London, soon to be added to www.getreadytorock.com with photos by Adrian Gee:

HENRIK FREISCHLADER BAND, Boom Boom Club, Sutton 
16 September 2011

Man of the moment, Henrik Freischlader is a name you will undoubtedly be hearing more from in the not too distant future. Freischlader and his band play the kind of retro tinged, groove laden rock-blues that recalls everyone from Robin Trower to Gary Moore while in his quieter moments he evokes the subtleties of Peter Green. This debut London club date proved that HFB loves to seize the moment in the way that only a classic jam band can and build instrumental blocks of majestic beauty peppered with steely riffs, delicate interplay and an ever present sense of spontaneity.

Henrik's unhurried, almost understated style disguises a locker full of melodic ideas, inventive licks and cutting edge technique. He incrementally worked his way through a succession of stretched out songs with clever dynamics that built the first set towards a climatic finish on the extended 'Bad Dreams’, a number which shifted from the languid to the intense in a gloriously retro styled jam. The song followed a linear progression from its muscular opening via a riff driven groove with laid back vocals and dreamy organ, and in the blink of an eye we were into an extended jam. Initially Henrik brought the number down, teasing out the gentlest of exploratory notes over a subtle tension building groove as he engaged Mo Furhop on organ for some ‘call and response’ interplay. Suddenly the room went quiet and there was a mutual vibe in the making, leaving Henrik to bring the number back in with his whispered vocal and a sudden tension breaking explosive guitar break, as the drummer Björn Krüger thrashed away wildly. This was as emotionally exhausting as it was musically exciting and if the band had finished the gig at that point people would not have complained.
It was also the pivotal moment when everything clicked, from the band’s inspired jamming to the huge crowd reaction as the front row head bangers relived their youth.  And in that illuminated flash you realised we were in the presence of a major talent.

Henrik humorously introduced ‘Break Out’ as ‘loud and long’ and provided the crowd with further evidence of the quartet’s funky power and layered sound on an arrangement that cleverly mirrored the claustrophobic feel of the lyrics; ‘So I’m heading nowhere, Get out of the place I’m in, Just to make up my everywhere, So that I can go back again’. His magisterial guitar playing reached new heights on the brooding and atmospheric ‘The Bridge', the intro of which owed much to Robin Trower. But like so much of Henrik’s set it proved to be anything but predictable, building up layers of intensity before providing a jaw dropping dénouement when Henrik went through the full gamut of his playing ability from some tension building single note repeats and rapid note clusters to searing vibrato and a contrastingly tightly compressed wah wah solo that evoked early Zappa.  All this, while Björn Krüger did his best Ginger Baker impersonation as he drove the band on with imperious force.
Apart from consummate power and drive, the band were equally impressive on the quieter material as Henrik nuanced Peter Green on the drifting blues of ‘The Memory Of Our Love’ and dug deep to conjure up some delicately warm notes on Etta James’s 'I’d Rather Go Blind'. And right there, stage left and at the core of it all was the man himself, always half hidden beneath his peaked cap, with his gentle world weary vocals and a cramped body language that sometimes bordered on the point of  introspection, only to suddenly explode with a scorching flurry of notes to offer you glimpses of his towering ability. Frequently perched sideways on to the crowd, he often appeared transfixed by a spell of intense concentration, broken only by a knowing smile directed at his band mates as he launched into another layer of guitar magic.
And as the band hit the home straight with a brace of songs featuring Henrik’s take on Hendrix and a cover of Roy Buchanan's 'The Messiah Will Come Again’ - dedicated to his hero Gary Moore - the crowd rose as one to greet a new bona fide guitar hero.

Review by Pete Feenstra © www.getreadytorock.com
Photos by Adrian Gee

There's also an interview from the same night here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7geDeBYY … re=related

He's in Edinburgh tonight, I can't wait! smile

"The recently formed Edinburgh Blues Club has identified an appetite for the personal communication between musicians and audience that the blues long ago perfected." The Herald Newspaper (Scotland)

Greenose wrote:

There's also an interview from the same night here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7geDeBYY … re=related

Duncan,

I can't wait to read your review.  It has been painful to read about the low turnouts to his shows, but I guess you have to start somewhere to build a following.  Henrik is clearly the best guitarist on your side of the pond and he'll get the recognition eventually.

Curby

I was at the Aberdeen gig on Friday and it was sensational. All four members of the band are great musicians.
It was an honour to see a band like that in such an intimate venue but a real shame that there were probably only about 50 people there.
Here's hoping Henrik and the band get the recognition they deserve in the future.

.....well I hadn't heard of this guy until last week and saw him live at the Flowerpot in Derby about 5 hours ago.
The few of us who turned up (about 40) were privileged to a stunning performance from Henrik and his band......

I also hope that in the future they receive the recognition they deserve and I will be there for sure when they do return to the UK, spread the word around guys and and I'm sure they'll succeed and this tour will surely be one to remember in many years to come......... smile

Curby wrote:
Greenose wrote:

Duncan,

I can't wait to read your review.  It has been painful to read about the low turnouts to his shows, but I guess you have to start somewhere to build a following.  Henrik is clearly the best guitarist on your side of the pond and he'll get the recognition eventually.

Curby

The first time I heard Henrik was when I got Recorded By.......I went through the first listen through and said whoooh.Not that often I get blown away like that, very few since You know who.Anyway I know he will start to get new fans ,like Joe,it just takes to get the music in front of people.How do you say street team in German?

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

'Street Team' probably works just as well here. So much English pervades German language these days  smile . There isn't really a recognised term as such I would say. 'Strasse Mannschaft' would work I guess. Guenther or one of the other German fans here would better translate it. My German just about gets me the right bread rolls in the bakery big_smile

Shame about the low turn outs but for the first time there it was to be expected. Here he is still playing small venues, but sold out sometimes over 2 nights. It will take time. But if a following can be established, perhaps through an English speaking forum, like here, future tours would be more successful.

It is a crowded market, so only the special with a twist in their performance style will succeed. Henrik has that and charm in spades. I wish he wasn't as loud as he is sometimes as that is a turn off (for me) as I don't like to have to listen through plugs all the time. Thats just a personal thing and I wouldn't want it to detract from the quality of his writing and playing.

I for one will be seeing him again and trying to encourage other potential fans.

No Hits, No Hype.......................Classic Rock Jan 2012

There was only 25 at the Aberdeen show. How was Edinburgh Duncan?

25!! I didn't realise it was that low. I wonder if it would have been a good bit higher if Gerry Jablonski hadn't had to cancel. Those that didn't go missed out big time. I hope they got some sales at the merchandise table.

Kenny wrote:

There was only 25 at the Aberdeen show. How was Edinburgh Duncan?

Ouch 25 is tough.Henrik doesn't have the name recognition yet,but deserves a larger audience for sure.Marketing isn't easy for bluesrockers .Word of mouth and great reviews will help.I would love to see him in the states,but don't know how many people have even heard his name here.Would love to see Henrik do a hour set opening for you know who.I bet he would win a lot of you know who's fans over.

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

Yes the crowd in Aberdeen was disappointing, after being told an estimate of around 40, I was told the final figure for ticket sales was 29, not good but slightly better than 25. I’ve no doubt the fact Gerry Jablonki’s band could not make the show impacted heavily on tickets. More positive was the news from Dundee. Henrik and the band were playing an afternoon show in Dexters, with ticket sat a cut price £2.50. The band were unsure about an afternoon show, but it worked. There were over 80 people at the show, and by accounts they played a storming set and Henrik spent 30 minutes after the show signing CDs and merchandise. With this news I had high hopes that Edinburgh’s show might do ok with word spreading and some promising to travel down to see him again.
Sadly though it was not really to be. There were 46 paying customers at the Voodoo Rooms, around 55 in the crowd in total. While some had travelled from further north to the show, there was a lack of recognisable faces from the Edinburgh blues scene. The show did clash with a show by Robin Trower elsewhere in the city, however apparently that was not too well attended either. In fact the attendance level put the evening on a downer for me, having put so much work into it, so I won’t give a blow by blow account of the songs, but the setlist was the same as Glasgow, other than Messiah closing the show instead of Foxy Lady. The highlights for me were The Memory of Our Love and Breakout. The band did seem to be a little too loud which did mean Henrik’s excellent vocals were slightly slow in the mix, surprising as the sound was done by Martin Meinshafer. Bad Dreams has been shortened to a more manageable 20 minutes, rather than over 30 in Glasgow. The band seemed to get a good reception from those there, including quite a few younger fans, but it appeared the longer instrumental moments were not favoured by all. Actually I’d have thought some of Henrik’s more immediate shorter song like She Ain’t Got The Blues and Nothing To Lose might have been favoured as while the more recent songs are more musically expansive, they are longer. Sadly there did not appear to be many merchandise sales throughout the evening. Hopefully on reflection it’s a solid foundation from which to build in future years, perhaps with a national booking agent, in better economic times.

Greenose wrote:

Yes the crowd in Aberdeen was disappointing, after being told an estimate of around 40, I was told the final figure for ticket sales was 29, not good but slightly better than 25. I’ve no doubt the fact Gerry Jablonki’s band could not make the show impacted heavily on tickets. More positive was the news from Dundee. Henrik and the band were playing an afternoon show in Dexters, with ticket sat a cut price £2.50. The band were unsure about an afternoon show, but it worked. There were over 80 people at the show, and by accounts they played a storming set and Henrik spent 30 minutes after the show signing CDs and merchandise. With this news I had high hopes that Edinburgh’s show might do ok with word spreading and some promising to travel down to see him again.
Sadly though it was not really to be. There were 46 paying customers at the Voodoo Rooms, around 55 in the crowd in total. While some had travelled from further north to the show, there was a lack of recognisable faces from the Edinburgh blues scene. The show did clash with a show by Robin Trower elsewhere in the city, however apparently that was not too well attended either. In fact the attendance level put the evening on a downer for me, having put so much work into it, so I won’t give a blow by blow account of the songs, but the setlist was the same as Glasgow, other than Messiah closing the show instead of Foxy Lady. The highlights for me were The Memory of Our Love and Breakout. The band did seem to be a little too loud which did mean Henrik’s excellent vocals were slightly slow in the mix, surprising as the sound was done by Martin Meinshafer. Bad Dreams has been shortened to a more manageable 20 minutes, rather than over 30 in Glasgow. The band seemed to get a good reception from those there, including quite a few younger fans, but it appeared the longer instrumental moments were not favoured by all. Actually I’d have thought some of Henrik’s more immediate shorter song like She Ain’t Got The Blues and Nothing To Lose might have been favoured as while the more recent songs are more musically expansive, they are longer. Sadly there did not appear to be many merchandise sales throughout the evening. Hopefully on reflection it’s a solid foundation from which to build in future years, perhaps with a national booking agent, in better economic times.

Sounds like your first meeting with Henrik was a little bittersweet.  Sometimes I think going it alone (outside your fanbase) is a risky venture whereas opening for bigger acts gets the message out to far more people.

Duncan - I would like to thank you for all your hard work bringing Henrik over to the UK. Hopefully word will spread from those who were at the gigs that HF is a class act. My 2 mates were certainly most impressed and they had never heard of him before.

Kenny

Henrik playing The Voodoo Rooms in Edinburgh, Monday 25th June. Only Scottish date, I don't know about the rest of the UK.
http://www.ticketweb.co.uk/user?query=s … 12&y=6

Get him to the USA!!!

And so castles made of sand melts into the sea, eventually.........

airportdon wrote:

Get him to the USA!!!

Also at Durham Blues Festival in June - with Robin Trower too. Nice!!

latest gig news
30 June 2012 O2 Academy 2, Islington London