55 (edited by BansheeUK 2014-07-08 08:31:57)

Re: Rival Sons

See when they're playing Newcastle O2 Academy (December 15th), instead of the 2nd stage, which is actually the foyer to the balcony, they've been given the whole venue. Not bad growth in 2 years; from a 150 capacity room to 2,100.

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

Love that band. Hope they come to México soon...

Tix for "D.C" show on sale today.  Got mine!

I just bought my Boston tickets also. Wish come true. So glad to be able to see these guys in a club setting!!

Dont need a helmet to get me through life-walk across the water blame it on foolish pride.

PORTLAND2012/SPRINGFIELD2012/BOSTON2013/HAMPTON BEACH2014/BANGOR2015/PORTLAND2016/PORTLAND2017

fett2112 wrote:

I just bought my Boston tickets also. Wish come true. So glad to be able to see these guys in a club setting!!

Make the most of it cos they are gonna be huge.

I'm late to the party, as I so often am these days. Still, better late than never.

To be fair, I did hear their first album casually and it didn't grab me at the time. However, Classic Rocks free compilation CD last month totally blew me away. Terrific stuff. I may even try and hunt down some of Jay Buchanan's earlier band stuff too.

They are here in Hamburg in November, which is already shaping up to be a good month for gigs. Gruenspan is quite compact. Should be great to see them in there. Only 26 euros or so. As you say Kenny. Catch them before they explode or implode!

No Hits, No Hype.......................Classic Rock Jan 2012

Saw the Sons Saturday night.  WOW, they crushed it, such a great show!!!

Heads up, they will be on Letterman Thursday night 10/9.

Jim

62 (edited by RoadcaseBoy 2014-10-09 10:13:43)

Bumping Jim's Letterman heads up.

Rival Sons going to be on Letterman tonight (10/9/14).  If DVR'ing ... Thurs Night Football is on CBS ... so things may run late.

"I was in Space for less than 2 weeks … and suddenly Jeaniene’s back … half the Band is off the gd wagon … we have comedians opening for us … and the nice kid that ran our website is now a kleptof’nmaniac.  Boy ... did you guys miss me!!"  Phil Valentine - Road Manager - Staton House Band

JBLP#251 (unaged) ... thank you Ron.

RoadcaseBoy wrote:

Bumping Jim's Letterman heads up.

Rival Sons going to be on Letterman tonight (10/9/14).  If DVR'ing ... Thurs Night Football is on CBS ... so things may run late.

Thanks for the reminder!

64 (edited by RoadcaseBoy 2014-10-10 11:09:14)

In case you fell asleep like I did ... here is the video link from the LettermanChannel:
(From their album, "Great Western Valkyrie," Rival Sons performs "Open My Eyes.")

http://youtu.be/NhjMWekZbmE

"I was in Space for less than 2 weeks … and suddenly Jeaniene’s back … half the Band is off the gd wagon … we have comedians opening for us … and the nice kid that ran our website is now a kleptof’nmaniac.  Boy ... did you guys miss me!!"  Phil Valentine - Road Manager - Staton House Band

JBLP#251 (unaged) ... thank you Ron.

RoadcaseBoy wrote:

In case you fell asleep like I did ... here is the video link from the LettermanChannel:
(From their album, "Great Western Valkyrie," Rival Sons performs "Open My Eyes.")

http://youtu.be/NhjMWekZbmE

Thanks Roadcassboy that some awsome stuff.
They picked my favorite song on he album to play !

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

66 (edited by Relayer 2014-10-11 15:49:39)

Heads up for UK fans, Rival Sons are on Later...with Jools Holland this Thursday 16th October and on the extended show the following night

No matter how far you try to push the envelope, it remains stationery

last month when they were over here,my grief I find comfort in the message

And Blues Pills confirmed as support for the UK tour. Love their first album, the female singer has some voice.

This new Rival Sons disc is Excellent...A great mix of hard rock and 60's ish psychadelia...I swear the song "Good Things" sounds like the best of Eric Burden and the Animals and "The Rich and the Poor" is another interesting throwback tune. Definitely a huge Zepplin influence here as well

Murfdog

Hopefully those tunes will get a run out this coming Sunday in Hamburg. Looking forward to it.

What a Tourstart on Sunday in Frankfurt/Main! The gig was outstanding!!!
Here's the setlist:

ALL OVER THE ROAD
YOUNG LOVE
PRESSURE AND TIME
ELECTRIC MAN
GOOD LUCK
SECRET
MANIFEST DESTINY PT 1
PLAY THE FOOL
GOOD THINGS
TORTURE
GYPSY HEART
JORDAN
TELL ME SOMETHING
ON MY WAY

Encore:

OPEN MY EYES
FACE OF LIGHT
KEEP ON SWINGING

The best RIVAL SONS I've ever seen.
Looking forward to Thursday in Cologne and Sunday in Hamburg . . .

On Sunday Rivals Sons in Hamburg stank. But then I stank too and so did the 400 others that saw them. We all stank. because the bloody place was packed to the rafters and was hotter than a dockers armpit. I won't dwell on the H&S issues associated with allowing such a gathering in such circumstances other than to say, in my opinion, that Rival Sons have already outgrown such venues. The groundswell of support is multiplying apace probably as a result of such ferocious performances.
What Jay Buchanan thought he doing wearing a 3 piece tweed suit, and Scott Holiday a jacket and scarf God only knows, but then these men and the band in general do have a certain style.................
It's said that form is temporary but class is permanent (old football cliche), but that being the case Rival Sons are definately 'on form' at the moment and I would venture to offer that their undoubted class is permanent.
If the aforementioned Mr. Buchanan can preserve his incredible pipes in the long term there is no question he can join the pantheon of 'Legendary Rock Vocalists', if he isn't already banging on the door.
The bloke is absolute full value, full bore pretty much all the time. Most singers feel their way into a gig even if they have substantially warmed up beforehand. No fears for steady men here. Jay is ON IT from the get go. He's out there with Glenn H with a fully armed banshee of vocal weaponry. I was close enough to get sprays of sweat from time to time as his drenched mop swung back and forth like a nodding dog on an adrenaline overdose.
The full on attack of almost the first 6 songs without a pause or comment left me pretty much exhausted. We like to pigeon hole things to better express what we are trying to say or describe. I’ve seen the Zeppelin comparisons, might have used them myself. Are they fair? The music is different I would say, but the pomp and sheer swagger of the delivery is probably what sends us in this direction. The band is so competent and professional it’s difficult to see them in this setting somehow. It is a stadium filling performance that they bring so we should be grateful we get to see it now close up.
I like that they are not afraid to indulge themselves musically at times. Scott Holidays sideways glances of appreciation at his singer on many occasions underlined what a result he feels he is having being in this band. The delivery is almost feral at times, but with such panache.
Marlies has already posted a setlist from a previous gig. Sundays did differ, no ‘Jordan’ for a start but I missed the titles and confess to not being completely familiar with all their stuff.
Any downsides at all? Only one really. They don’t engage with the audience much. Buchanan does his thing in his own way. A few thank you’s, and only on 2 occasions did he announce a song with a few words. Drummer Miley seemed to indicate he didn’t think the crowd at the front were as animated as we could be, but honestly, the band don’t invite singalongs, or clapping or this kind of interaction. Rival Sons play ‘at’ you and it is quite an assault. But this is a minor quibble. It will be interesting to see how they develop. I do wonder if Buchanan is totally comfortable in this role longer term. But for now bigger audiences and venues surely beckon.