Re: Tedeschi Trucks Band

Maybe I haven't listened to the album enough, but so far I've been left wanting on too many songs.  There's nothing wrong with Derek's playing....it's Susan trying too hard to be Bonnie Raitt.  There's too many songs stuck in second gear and sounding alike.  I guess I was wanting more energy from them on this much anticipated album.

I'll grant you that Susan sounds similar to Bonnie on some of the tracks but I doubt she's trying to 'be her'. There's a different tone in Susan's voice, a little more mid range when pushing it and slightly sweeter at times on the quieter passages too, as is her speaking voice from the little I've heard of her in interview. And the 'stuck in second gear' to you is simply grooving along nicely to me. Each to their own I guess wink

never give up, never slow down
never grow old, never ever die young

The new album would be one of my favorite albums this year if Susan´s voice wouldn´t be sooo dominant. IMO it doesn´t go well with the sound of the band: it´s to "clean", too loud in higher notes, not really female. I liked Mike Mattison´s voice much more. Nonetheless I´ll see them live in July.
Günter

Rock On and Keep the Faith

Here is a videoi  recorded at the show on 6-11-2011 in Richmond. This is a song from the new cd Revelator.

"Bound For Glory"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThB-h2sw_vc

I got the album this week and digesting it. Just a few songs that grabbed me initially. The overall vibe is a bit sleepy. I got nothing against mellow but there is a difference between mellow and boring. I had high hopes for it but maybe I expected too much. Love Midnight in Harlem so it isn't like I couldn't dig it if it had some better songs start to finish. Now Derek's albums are a bit uneven as well and don't own any solo Tedeschi but I do love her voice.

Tour coming within a couple of hours of here not sure if I'm going to make the drive.

Guenter wrote:

The new album would be one of my favorite albums this year if Susan´s voice wouldn´t be sooo dominant. IMO it doesn´t go well with the sound of the band: it´s to "clean", too loud in higher notes, not really female. I liked Mike Mattison´s voice much more. Nonetheless I´ll see them live in July.
Günter

I too miss Mike Mattison's voice.  For some strange reason this album is reminding me of a much earlier Derek Trucks-the first time I listened to it I kept thinking of the first time I saw him live and I wasn't quite sure what to make of it all.  That has obviously changed with time, so maybe these two in combination will too.  I  love the two of them together, but would love to hear a bit more of Mike in the vocal department.  I also think that Derek's last album was so amazing that it was a tough act to follow.  I will be seeing them in August.  My brother saw them the other night but I haven't heard a report from him yet.

Sandy

"There's a lot of people that are in so much of a hurry to be, I guess, to be famous or that they don't want to take the time to learn to play and do all that.They'd rather just knock it down off a computer and maybe get on a game show and get famous..That's fine if that's what you want to do.
"We're more old school than that. We like creating the sounds."  - Tom Petty

samjp4 wrote:

For some strange reason this album is reminding me of a much earlier Derek Trucks-the first time I listened to it I kept thinking of the first time I saw him live and I wasn't quite sure what to make of it all. Sandy

Sandy, I think that´s one of the differences: if you hear Susan you know at the first time what to make of it. You could imagine that Yin (Derek) and Yang (Susan) go together, but for me it doesn´t work really. I´ll report again after the live show in two weeks.
Günter

Rock On and Keep the Faith

26 (edited by Rocket 2011-06-20 04:30:49)

Guenter wrote:
samjp4 wrote:

For some strange reason this album is reminding me of a much earlier Derek Trucks-the first time I listened to it I kept thinking of the first time I saw him live and I wasn't quite sure what to make of it all. Sandy

Sandy, I think that´s one of the differences: if you hear Susan you know at the first time what to make of it. You could imagine that Yin (Derek) and Yang (Susan) go together, but for me it doesn´t work really. I´ll report again after the live show in two weeks.
Günter

I'm going to venture they and you may have a slightly different take on them live, and your opinion from the appearance.  If not, or if so, I look forward to your next report, Güenter.

Rock ON & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

jim m wrote:

I got the album this week and digesting it. Just a few songs that grabbed me initially. The overall vibe is a bit sleepy. I got nothing against mellow but there is a difference between mellow and boring. I had high hopes for it but maybe I expected too much. Love Midnight in Harlem so it isn't like I couldn't dig it if it had some better songs start to finish. Now Derek's albums are a bit uneven as well and don't own any solo Tedeschi but I do love her voice.

Tour coming within a couple of hours of here not sure if I'm going to make the drive.

OH yes.  I like Midnight in Harlem...sets a memory mood.

MuchLove
BigJeff

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

bigjeffjones wrote:
jim m wrote:

OH yes.  I like Midnight in Harlem...sets a memory mood.

MuchLove
BigJeff

A sweet memory mood, Doc...no enhancers required.

Rock ON & Keep the Memorable Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

I saw them last month at the Doheney Blues Fest and I thought they were absolutely fantastic.  Susan's voice is angelic and Derek's guitar work is incredible.  That coupled with 9 other musicians that included a fantastic horn section and twin drummers made for a very enjoyable enxperience.  I will see them again in about three weeks, under the stars, outside at Humphrey's in San Diego.  To each his own as the saying goes, but for this music fan, I like 'em.

30 (edited by susan 2011-06-20 10:19:44)

I love this band so much.  I've seen them twice now as the Tedeschi Trucks Band and I believe they are incredible.  They have so much energy.  Love the Burbridge brothers together in this band.  Oteil puts on a show of his own.  So much to watch, so much to hear.  I do, however, get what some are saying about Revelator.  There are some absolutely killer songs, then there are a couple that might put you to sleep.  Still, Susan's voice is angelic so I can listen to her whatever she sings. 

This is one of the few bands, outside of Joe, that I will travel to see live.  I think they are fantastic. smile

"Listen to the melody cause my love is in there hiding"

I have seen them play live twice in their present format and I enjoyed them very, very much.  Both of these times were short sets though so will be interesting to see a regular length show.  I will be seeing them live in August and I am very much looking forward to it..  I am lucky and ususally don't have to travel too far to see them although I would if I had to.  I didn't mean to sound so negative about this new cd, guess it was just not what I was expecting.  Susan you are so right - great stuff but a few that just don't do it for me.  Some things just take more time to warm up to. 

Sandy

"There's a lot of people that are in so much of a hurry to be, I guess, to be famous or that they don't want to take the time to learn to play and do all that.They'd rather just knock it down off a computer and maybe get on a game show and get famous..That's fine if that's what you want to do.

32 (edited by ken 2011-06-20 15:15:55)

jim m wrote:

Don't "not go" based on the mellowness of many of the album's songs (which I agree with you on), they stay pretty much in high gear/energy/funk/soul through most of the live show. One of the best live shows out there, and worth a couple hour drive.

I'm still waiting for Revelator to hit me so maybe I need a couple more listens before seeing Derek and Susan in London next week. Susan does have a beautiful voice but I think the songs on which she stretches it a bit are the best on the album. By that I mean Learn How To Love and Love Has Something Else to Say. The combination of Derek's mesmeric slide and Susan's siren voice are superb.

I'm reviewing the London gig for Blues Matters and learnt today that the support is Robert Randolph who I've only previously seen on the Crossroads DVDs and youtube, but I'm relly looking forward to seeing him. If you are going to this gig, don't on any account be late.

Who's going to this gig? So far I think it's:

Me
David (Curryman)
Pete (the Cabby)

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

“The guy who has helped the blues industry the most is Joe Bonamassa and I would say he is more rock than some rock stuff, so to me blues is whatever you want it to be!”
Simon McBride in my interview with him in Blues Matters! Issue #56

Wooders wrote:

I'm still waiting for Revelator to hit me so maybe I need a couple more listens before seeing Derek and Susan in London next week. Susan does have a beautiful voice but I think the songs on which she stretches it a bit are the best on the album. By that I mean Learn How To Love and Love Has Something Else to Say. The combination of Derek's mesmeric slide and Susan's siren voice are superb.

I'm reviewing the London gig for Blues Matters and learnt today that the support is Robert Randolph who I've only previously seen on the Crossroads DVDs and youtube, but I'm relly looking forward to seeing him. If you are going to this gig, don't on any account be late.

Me
David (Curryman)
Pete (the Cabby)

You are so going to love Robert Randolph - he was great at Crossroads and than he also did a bit on the side-stage later that Joe and Ryan played on.  Talked a bit about his guitar and how it works and how he and Derek have known each other for a long time - maybe you will get to see them play together - that would be awesome.  I will be interested to hear what you guys think of the show.  My turn is in August.  Have a good time guys.

Sandy

Despite the tickets saying doors at 7.00pm and show start of 8.00pm, the actual running times for tonight's gig at Shepherds Bush are:

7:30 - 8:15  Robert Randolph
8:45 - 10:45  Tedeschi Trucks Band

Roll call so far is:

Me
David
Pete
Roger
Marcus Bonfanti
Danny, TheGreatRedDragon

Danny, if you are there early come to the front of the queue and ask for me. I'll be in a plain black t-shirt.

I'm really looking forward to this evening, it should be a great show. Details tomorrow. wink

Phil

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

“The guy who has helped the blues industry the most is Joe Bonamassa and I would say he is more rock than some rock stuff, so to me blues is whatever you want it to be!”
Simon McBride in my interview with him in Blues Matters! Issue #56

Wooders wrote:

Me
David (Curryman)
Pete (the Cabby)

I hope there's more than just the three of you. It's a big place wink

never give up, never slow down
never grow old, never ever die young