Re: Joe bonamassas pickups

"I'm a believer in that you should be able to plug your guitar into the amp and get a tone that you love."

I agree. I just plug my guitar into my Marshall, turn the overdrive all the way up and I'm happy.

I wanted some really good pickups that were jaw dropping, but not a niche or cliche pickup like the texas specials (and I own those already) I wanted something distinct.

So I asked Joe a while back what he recommended for pickups and this is what he said:

"Anything by Lindy Fralin or Seymor Duncan Antiquities... Very good mix of smooth and power... Be sure though that the guitar your putting them is good cause, once I kept putting a bunch of pickups into this one guitar and it never sounded right.. I finally figured out the body of the guitar didnt resonate and thus the pickups took on the sound of the bad body. Thats important to know it will save you alot of money in the long run...
On another note I did like the Eric Johnson strat... I believe it to be misunderstood by some that have tried it.. But the one I played really reacted like a vintage one.. Very immiediate.. I do wish they aged them too much shine..other than that very cool..
thanks Joe Bonamassa"
2/24/06

I used to post a lot on the old message board and I have some emails saved.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

cjoyce wrote:

hey guys, im new to this website, but ive been a fan of Joe's for a while now.  I was wondering what you guys thought of the Fender Texas Specials(since you guys wer talkin about blues pickups and such).  They are very popular i know...but i love the snap in them.  I dont like them becuase of the SRV sound(i am a huge Stevie fan as well), i just really dig that kinda tone out of a strat.  I really recommond checking out the Fender '62 American Flame Top Strat, there specially ordered to guitar centers only, Fender made about 100 of them and thats it, they go for 1399, well worth it though, its a beautiful finish and a really killer tone...just thought id post my thoughts...sned me some feedback!
Conner

They suck...

Get some Seymour Duncun Texas Hot Antiquity pups.  You won't be disappointed.

Boda

yeah - avoid texas specials like the plague.  Theres much better pickups out there.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

What do you guys think of Van Zandt pickups? The Vintage Plus model is supposed to be pretty nice.

-Jess
Check out my band Beth and The Black Cat Bones http://www.myspace.com/bethandtheblackcatbones
Also my own page for my guitar playing http://www.myspace.com/jesszub

Seymour Duncan never disappoint me.  I just built a guitar with two vintage SH1 humbuckers, which may be their cheapest at $125 per pair.  They sound great.  I also used the more pricey Pearly Gates humbuckers and really like them.  I don't like rewinding pickups.  I can do it, but if I can't find a pickup that I like out of the box then I don't trust the manufacturer.  Derek Trucks replaced the humbuckers on his SG with Seymour Duncans, though I can't find out which ones.

I don't have much on single coil.

You may also want to check out Chandler, which makes Joe's guitar he uses for slide work. (http://www.chandlerguitars.com/pickups.html)  That guitar sounds so great that you might want to check out their pickups.

D