Topic: Joe's Demographic?

My friends went to last night's show in Wilmington NC, and said it was, of coure, GREAT but it wasn't full. That was a college town and yet the crowd was mainly 40+. How do we get younger people exposed?

Re: Joe's Demographic?

have joe as an opening act for jay z, just kidding. maybe get requests in for the college radio station. adds with joes web page in the college newspaper. or even have a reporter do a piece on him before he comes to town . college papers are pretty open minded.

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

3 (edited by David A. 2007-02-18 10:55:28)

cathysiler wrote:

My friends went to last night's show in Wilmington NC, and said it was, of coure, GREAT but it wasn't full. That was a college town and yet the crowd was mainly 40+. How do we get younger people exposed?

When Joe goes into a new town that he has not played before there are a lot of factors involved.  The venue doing their job promoting the show, ads, radio spots etc.  Then there is the Street Team efforts which can have a prominent affect in the attendance, both young and old.  Many of the suggestions that have been mentioned before on this forum and Stu's website can make a difference.  Then there is word of mouth.  Trying to reach the 40 and under is not out of reach because many more fans that I see are of that genre.  Probably the next time Joe plays in Wilmington there will be more people because the ones were that were there tell their friends, etc...

Music is good for the Soul...

cathysiler wrote:

Word of mouth takes some time, but the progression can be a very powerful tool. I have two daughters that are 23 and 21 years old and whenever I get a chance, I expose their friends to Joe's music. Not all of them get it, but Joe's got at least a dozen new fans under 28 as a result. I know at least half of those new fans are out there spreading Joe's music to THEIR friends. Lots of younger people are already listening to bands like Zeppelin, The Who, Hendrix, etc. and  just need to hear Joe's music to become fans.

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

I think the thing that will help the most at this stage is if Joe gets alot of publicity in the guitar magazines. Joe's music is going to appeal alot more to teenagers or young people who play guitar than to those who don't.

He seems to have a pretty good feature article and lesson coming up in Guitar One and I think more things like this will help him get that younger audience as well because alot of kids buy these magazines. I have discovered alot of my favorite artists trhough the guitar mags.

-Jess
Check out my band Beth and The Black Cat Bones http://www.myspace.com/bethandtheblackcatbones
Also my own page for my guitar playing http://www.myspace.com/jesszub

6 (edited by Deezer 2007-02-19 01:38:08)

Joe needs to play a lot of colleges. If he could start getting booked at colleges, I really think his career would take off among the younger people. Maybe start out doing some coffee house stuff (I know Arkansas Tech has a pretty good coffee house program). Just get yourself exposed to them. Don't play at underage bars (not sure if Joe does that, but I know plenty of artists I've missed because of not being 21). If he did that, it would definitely expose a lot of younger people to Joe.

We are talking about getting younger people exposed to Joe Bonamassa. I'm sorry, but the over 40 crowd is not going to make Joe popular like so many here want. Doing the blues in schools thing is cool, but in the end you've got to take it to them. You've got to beat them over the head with it.

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

My ReverbNation page for Dees & Friends - check us out!
www.reverbnation.com/deesfriends

Joe started playing in OKC in 2003. He did several BITS the first and second time in. The third and fourth time in he played in Norman. The University of Oklahoma is located there. He did a clinic at the music school auditorium. He had an appearance at the University of Oklahoma bookstore. My son who attends OU has turned on numerous friends to Joe. At his show here last March. there was probably 25% of the audience under 30.
Some as young as 11 or 12. The BITS is the easiest way to expose a younger audience. Before they have made up their mind what kind of music they like.

I was seated by a hostess at a local restraunt who commented on my Bonamassa shirt I was wearing. She said he had come to her school and thought he was great.

John Mayer or Dave Mathews cool Joe will never be. Joe will gain favor among the young but it will be the young with old souls like you Deezer.