Topic: Athens Show - Feb. 15th

How was the show at the Melting Point?  KathyB or Scott???

Music is good for the Soul...

Re: Athens Show - Feb. 15th

Okay, I said i was not going to get involved on forums but since I do glance at this one, I can at least say something.

I went to this show with Kathy B. I'm sure she'll be on here shortly to post a review. She kept a setlist. I'm still picking up on the names of the songs, a little too new to be able to do a setlist.

The Melting Point is truly one of the best venues I've been to. Anyone associated with bands out there needs to check it out. Athens is a college town and also has a lot of adults too so depending on your style of music, it would be an awesome place to get booked.

The show was incredible, of course. The audience was lively. It was a sit-down venue (which was nicer than the crammed crowd at the smoky Loft in ATL a week earlier). The band seemed to have a blast and it of course affects the audience.

So... on to Kathy B's review...

Just helping to spread the word about going to see GOOD bands and GOOD live music as often as possible!!!

Music promotion: http://www.myspace.com/kfdesignpublish
Photo collection: http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l297/peachyllb/

3 (edited by KathyB 2007-02-17 20:27:05)

Wow!!!  Even though I am still having a hard time translating the evening into words, I will try and put my thoughts together, even though rambling, so please forgive me! 

The Athens show was absolutely incredible.  The setlist was the same as Charlotte, Atlanta, Jacksonville, etc.  Even  though we'd seen two shows already in a week with the same setlist, Randy & I agreed that this was the best Joe show we've attended (out of 6).  The venue and the sound was outstanding!

Joe, Mark & Bogie were on top of their game, but also seemed to be very happy and having a lot of fun.  Though Joe was as focused and professional as always, he seemed to be very lighthearted, and we saw several smiles throughout the night.  (He was probably amused by the foolish ear-to-ear grins on mine & Randy's faces all night, or perhaps our horrid sing alongs....)  LOL!  We had the best seats (oh, and how nice to be able to sit and not feel like I was in a human sardine can!!) -- center, slightly left, and could have easily have touched Joe.  I got some pretty good pictures, among them, though it is not the clearest photo, I did manage to snag a photo of Joe with his fingers making a chord across 6 frets!)  If you'd like to see them, go to http://photos.yahoo.com/kathyboat1 and click on the album.

Crosby Loggins opened for Joe, and they did a great job.  They told Randy & I more than once how much they loved the venue and the sound, and think we heard the same out of Joe's people.  At the end of the show, Joe surprised us by asking Paul, Crosby Loggins' wonderful violin player, to perform with him on the encore, Asking Around for You.  It was killer!

Joe made a lot of new fans in Athens!!  The crowd ranged from teens to college students to doctors and everything in between.  We met people who had come in from out of state, some of whom were seeing Joe for the first time (and definitely not the last).   It was so nice talking to old Joe fans and so many new Joe fans.  It was really fun to watch the faces of our friends, and all we met who were attending their first show.  Also, big thanks to Joe, Mark & Bogie for sticking around to visit, sign autographs, take photos, etc., when they needed to get on the road...  It meant a lot to a lot of people!

The show was so good that my sister-in-law and brother-in-law's friend, Johnny (who we joke and say may have undiagnosed narcolepsy, as we have never seen him stay awake for an entire evening in a dozen or more times of being around him) stayed awake the entire show, on the edge of his seat.   

David A -- you missed it.  You and Liz must come down when Joe returns to the Melting Point (note, I am not saying "if," but rather, "when").  I am hoping for a 2-3 night gig, over a weekend. 

Great to meet ScottyBo!  I'll let Scott hop in and give his impressions of the show, but from talking to him, I believe his feelings echo mine!

Kellie, glad to see you on the forum, and so glad to share your first (Atlanta) and second (Athens) Joe shows with you!!  Can't wait until the next one!

KathyB

Great review Kathy B!  Sounds like it was another awesome show for Joe, Mark and Bogie.  I can only imagine hearing the encore, Asking Around for You with the addition of a violin player must of made that already beautiful song even more incredible.  Thanks for sharing.  Barbara

Thank you Kathy for the great update, really wish we had made the trip now!!! But will definately have to check him out there next time around...

Music is good for the Soul...