Topic: Toads Place ...New Haven Ct.

Hi .. Cant wait till Sunday the 18th . Going to see Joe and the boys !! I,m traveling from Boston and was wondering if anyones been to "Toads Place" and can tell me a little about the place, like what's the seating arrangement?, do they serve food ? ...Thanks .,Paul

Re: Toads Place ...New Haven Ct.

Not sure about food.  Doors open at 8, JB goes on at 9.  All ages show.  Under age on one side.  Standing only, however on the bar side there are a few tables and chairs way off to the side.  Be prepared to stand for three hours (through the opener, too).

Cheers,

Tara

WHEN THE POWER OF LOVE OVERCOMES THE LOVE OF POWER, THE WORLD WILL KNOW PEACE~~~JIMI HENDRIX

Actually, I just called the place and they said that Joe goes on at 10pm and the opener guy starts at 9.

I'm on the Upper West Side in NYC....and have TWO tickets to Toad's tomorrow night. It seemed like a good idea at the time---a 90 minute journey to New Haven. Of course, now I have no one that wants to go with me, my car option is fizzling out and then last train out of their back to NYC appears to be 11:18pm.

First of all--anyone driving from NYC that I can catch a ride with?

Also, anyone need an extra ticket?

Please email me at texasinny@yahoo.com if interested
thanks!

Here's an article written by Ray Hogan in the Stamford Advocate last Thursday:

Joe Bonamassa, Toad's Place, 9 p.m. Sunday

Bonamassa's career has been ready to launch to the next level for a while. Any instrument can be learned, but guitarists such as Bonamassa make a strong argument for talent as a natural gift. The upstate New Yorker was opening for B.B. King at age 8 and smoking the local talent while hitting puberty. He made his name as the only member of Bloodline who wasn't the progeny of musical royalty, but it was his 2000 solo debut, "A New Day Yesterday," that marked his true arrival. Produced by the late Tom Dowd, who had tracked Bonamassa's six-string prowess for a few years, the disc featured his muscular fretwork and urgent vocals on "Miss You, Hate You" and "If Heartaches Were Nickels," songs that deserved to be played on any station that favored Kenny Wayne Shepherd. "So, It's Like That" followed two years later and one senses Bonamassa was coerced to achieve the radio play afforded his peers. "Blues Deluxe" righted the wrong and featured the guitar slinger - now in his 20s - cutting through classic tracks while adding a few of his own. Bonamassa offered "Had to Cry Today," which takes its name from the great Blind Faith song and was his most complete work yet, artfully mixing the guitar hero and songwriting aspects of his already impressive solo career. Last year's "You & Me" was in the same vein, with production by Kevin Shirley (Aerosmith, Iron Maiden). With Paul Gabriel. Toad's Place, 300 York St., New Haven. 562-5589.

"The Blues are the true facts of life expressed in words and song, inspiration, feeling, and understanding."
Willie Dixon

Just came from the New Haven show.  Just want to say thanks so much for bringing your talent our way.  I learned about you from a pbs special about the time bloodline started.  AWESOME.  The show tonight was really great.  Sure made me feel good.  Enjoy Europe.

BK

6 (edited by bluesguy86 2007-02-19 01:46:38)

I just saw it tonight too. That show was absolutely amazing. I'm still tingling after watching that.

Rock on bro, enjoy Europe.

How did those that went enjoy opening act?
I know the guitarist Paul Gabriel.

They were great.

You know Gabe?

I SURE DO.
REMEMBER HIM FROM BLUE IN THE FACE
FIRST TIME I SAW THEM
1988 SHENANIGANS.

I was worried I wouldn't make it, we were at Rockefeller in Manhattan at 8:30ish.  Every door we tried to get out of was locked, and security was not very helpful.  It is a rather large maze of tunnels under that place, and we spent nearly an hour under there.  Finally hit the road from 14th street at 9:00.

We got to the show at like 10:15, and managed to score a parking spot right out front!  Did he start right at 10?  We were screaming up I-95 trying to make it, wondering what I missed.  I forget which song was playing when we got there, but pretty sure it was off ANDY.  Nice club and great sound, first time there.

Setlist anyone?

Pics posted in the Pics forum.

I enjoyed the opening act, I had never heard of them before Sunday night. Joe and the band were amazing as usual. Great to see some good friends and catch up a little. Can't wait to see what PhotoPete captured !!!! See you all down the road.  Larry G

12 (edited by fotopete 2007-02-20 15:47:12)

Ok - Here's another quickie pic .... enjoy.

Now tell me the younger people are not into Joe ... those young fellas are not missing a beat.

http://www.fotopete.com/share/070218_486lr.jpg

bet - they "Woke up Dreaming"

13 (edited by connmark 2007-02-22 12:38:45)

Another outstanding performance by JB and company. I was concerned about turnout before the show even though Tara told me not to worry. Still, I can't forget last year's show at Toad's - the turnout was pretty light. I was very motivated to get the word out for this show. Needless to say I was very relieved to see the place fairly packed. Joe was appreciative of the fans coming out and mentioned the difference from a year ago.  I also noticed a significant change in the demographics - a lot of younger folks in attendance. Last year all of the local colleges were on spring break. Not the case this year. These were not casual fans either. Many of them were singing along. Despite the recent unforgiveable Rolling Stone snub there's a groundswell of interest in JB's music. It's only a matter of time.

"The Blues are the true facts of life expressed in words and song, inspiration, feeling, and understanding."
Willie Dixon