1 (edited by CodeTitan 2007-02-13 16:51:20)

Topic: Seymour Duncan Antiquity pickups

I don't remember where I read it, but I remember reading Joe Bonamassa recommending Seymour Duncan Antiquity pickups.  Based on his recomendation I went out and bought the Antiquity Custom Bridge for my Stratocaster.  Man, this pickup smokes!  It really puts a nice grind on the distortion channel of my amp.  I finally found a bridge Strat pickup that I like.  Joe also recommended the Fralin Blues Specials which I have on another Strat and they sound really nice also, but I really like the Antiquities. 

Thanks for the recommendation Joe!

Re: Seymour Duncan Antiquity pickups

I remember that too

I have a set of Antiquity I's  aka "Texas Hots" with the Custom Bridge you mention
My favorite bridge pup also, great choice

the Texas Hots are a little to the warm side, but I like that
going to give the Antiquity II's aka "Surfs" a try too
they are supposedly twangier

the tone quest continues :-)

I seen a guy at Guitar Center awhile back when they had that Blues competition and his guitar sounded really good and I asked him what he had and that was the answer he gave me. The Antiquitys so I made a mental not of them and have been looking at them ever since. I will eventually end up buying some here soon.

Rob

All my tears they fell like rain, cant you hear them falling?
Led Zeppelin: Since I been Loving You

Yeah, I'll be trying a full set of Antiquity II's in my other Strat next.  The Antiquitie II's are supposed to be much glassier and quackier than the Antiquity I's.  They are all the rage on the Seymour Duncan forum.

I've put some SD antiquity's into my amber top  Les Paul (a guitar cousin of Joe's amber LP???- Check out my thumbnail...) & they sound amazing! Expensive- especially in the UK- but they've really got that 'flutey' vocal sound of old Gibson pup's.  I've reversed the magnet in the neck pup to make mine 'out of phase' like Peter Green's '59- almost sounds 'Fendery' in the middle position... Cheers, Mitch.

This don't look like no express way to me...

I thru a set of surfers on strat bout 8 months back; really like them.  They are somewhat bright but they sure complement the darker sounding cowtipper.  Lets just say, I was happy enough with them that I never returned them to seymour duncan for another set of pups under their 21 day straight up exchange policy.   

I bought a set of lollar blonds for another strat but haven't heard them yet.  Lollar told me that he'd exchange any of his pups too, same as seymour duncan.

Zhurh wrote:

I bought a set of lollar blonds for another strat but haven't heard them yet.  Lollar told me that he'd exchange any of his pups too, same as seymour duncan.

Let us know how the Lollar pickups sound compared the the Seymour Duncan.  I have heard a lot of good things about Lollar.

I had Lollar Tweeds and Blondes, and while they are great pickups, they lacked a bit of punch
This is probably be design, and they are underwound pickups, with AlNiCo 2 magnets

I have Antiquity I pickups are quite a bit punchier

I found Fralins to be in the middle, I have the Vintage Hots, Real 54s, and Blues Specials
the Vintage Hots are my favorite

All great pups

9 (edited by Zhurh 2007-02-23 21:25:26)

CodeTitan wrote:
Zhurh wrote:

Let us know how the Lollar pickups sound compared the the Seymour Duncan.  I have heard a lot of good things about Lollar.

I can't wait to hear them myself.  Bought a mim 60's and having luthier do bone nut, callaham, lollars, fix up frets, ect.  Waiting for weather to break, so I can have her flown in on plane. This guy builds a few guitars and friends tell me to give him little over a gran to build one that will sound better than any mia strat from factory.  Luthier swears by fralins too, so will try them nx. 

My strats are all kinda heavy, right around 8 lbers.  Luthier tells me he will build me a nice, tight neck, light one; swamp ash.  I'm going to play a few of his guitars and have him build me one this spring; try fralins. He does pretty good work from what I have seen.  Ya know, been jonesin for a DL-90 Lentz but Scott Lentz has some new set neck models coming out soon; they might be real sweet.  Anyone here ever get their hands on a Lentz?

I have had Fralin VH, SD Ant II, and now Suhr Lp60s in my Strat. I like the Suhrs the most so far. They are close to Fralins but not as bright.
The SD Ant II had no meat to them. I guess that is why they are better for Dick Dale surf stuff.

Well, our winter closed road is finally open and I got that mex strat with Lollar blonds home.
After I raised the strings and blond neck pup to where I like best with my cowtipper; I compared to my strat with surfers.   

The Lollars have just a bit more bite  than Surfers, maybe it's their relative height also but  luv them both, so I guess now I gotta find the time to play twice as much each day for that satisfaction. 

What I really noticed with that new mex strat was the Callaham Bridge & Block.  It really adds something, resonance, sustain; sure worth every penny.  I'll put the Callaham on every strat now.

Going to try Fralins on nx guitar; and one of these years; I'll get off my butt and get one of those orange roundup Lentzes.

[img]http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i78/Eska_2006/MVC-287F.jpg[/img]

I've just bought a set of Texas Hots for my Strat, can't wait for them to arrive!

The set of Antiquity Texas Hots finally arrived, used them at a gig last week!

Here's how they sound! http://youtu.be/cmCfN93UZws