37 (edited by Greenose 2011-02-07 09:19:15)

Re: For Gary Moore

Sir Bob Geldof has today said:

"Gary, without question, was one of the great Irish bluesmen. There is a sort of trinity of Van Morrison, Rory Gallagher and Gary Moore".

"His playing was exceptional and beautiful. We won't see his like again," he said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-12382274

Gary Moore was very much opposed to taking any side with respect to the Irish question so he would certainly not have liked to see it raised now. Whether British or Irish he was considered one of us.

"The recently formed Edinburgh Blues Club has identified an appetite for the personal communication between musicians and audience that the blues long ago perfected." The Herald Newspaper (Scotland)
http://www.edinburgh-blues.uk

From Classic Rock Magazine website:

The Sun newspaper is reporting this morning that guitarist Gary Moore died after choking on his own vomit following a heavy drinking session.

Moore had just begun a six-day holiday in Spain’s Costa Del Sol. His body was discovered in his hotel room at about 4am on Sunday, February 6, by his girlfriend.

According to The Sun, medics found Moore lying lifeless on his back wearing just his underpants.

An ambulance source said: “We believe the deceased had been drinking heavily.”

Moore died hours after checking into the upmarket Kempinski Hotel at Estepona.

A hotel source said: “They [Moore and his girlfriend] were going to eat at the restaurant but it was closed so they had a sandwich at the bar with a bottle of champagne. They went for a stroll then back to the bar where Gary had brandies. He seemed fine when he left around 11pm.”

Meanwhile, Associated Press is reporting that Spanish police are awaiting the outcome of the autopsy on Moore before deciding if an investigation into his death is needed.

A spokeswoman for Spain’s Interior Ministry said today there were no signs of foul play.

She spoke on condition of anonymity in keeping with ministry regulations.

She said the autopsy is being carried out in Malaga. It is not known when the result will be released.

When I was a child I spoke as a child, But all I heard was how I should get ahead,
Now growing up it ain't anything but all This indecision with these debts and doubts
And worries hanging over my head. When I was a child I spoke as a child,
I wish I could remember what I said.

UPDATE: Planet Rock will be airing an one-hour special in tribute to Moore from 6pm GMT this evening (February 7)

GOOD KARMA - http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3zkw … o1_500.jpg
Avatar Credit: D.Hirst,Olympic Union Flag
Adele: RAH http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Oio8V3e3WU&ob=av2e -
We Are The Champ20ns

Jane H. wrote:

Have to agree the geo topic should not be here Rocket. i am positive your intentions are only good but as has been said no way to be understood in this mode of communication. I would reach out to you via forum email but last time i did that on a sensitive subject you did not get it or reply to it so I ask here, please consider an edit. Thank you.

hansamike thanks you for the post about Sunset. i will be checking that out. thunderbird has been in my thoughts this morning and I had no idea of the song you mentioned. Thank you

Hi Jane,

I checked it myself after writing the post. I think it is appropriate and fitting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72eOW8cW2Ps

and whenever I hear this I will think of him fondly and the circumstances and tradegy of his passing will fade into the sunset with his memory.

No Hits, No Hype.......................Classic Rock Jan 2012

I hope that cause isn't true...not even a year since Stuart Cable died from the drink.

i'd like to think he's rippin' with rory right now. . . .

peace, joe. . . . . sorry for your loss

Rocket wrote:
Ian916 wrote:

woke up this morning with Planet Rock playing Parisienne Walkways....Very sad sad

I believe that he was  left handed but learned to play right handed, - when I bought my left handed son his first guitar I bought him a normal right handed one in part based on what I understood to be fact about Gary.

Some of my lasting happy memories as a teenager have Thin Lizzy attached to them, - a summer day spent at the skateboard park in the half-pipe with Lizzy blasting out, -  "Black Rose (Róisín Dubh) A rock Legend" one of my favourite vinyl albums growing up.

Just a quick note about him being another one of Ireland's lost guitarists, - he was actually from Belfast which is not part of the Republic of Ireland.

Quick note on why Ireland has lost another great one: We don't need a geopolitical lesson.  We know that though. To most us US of Aers,  Ireland is Ireland, the island.  You folks have the rest of the idea(s).   Northern Ireland=Ireland.  It's in the name. Geography. We consider Van Morrison Irish and from Ireland also. Not taking sides, just expressing another view.  Kind of like all of North & South America, only US gets called "Americans".  They aren't really Canadians or Mexicans or Brazilians, they are also from America.  We have a misconception also see.

Also, it might come as a huge surprise to our European and other friends, but Gary Moore is no where as well know or respected as in your places.  Yes, many of us do know and do have the love and respect.  But he is not a household name, nor even well known in much of rock music fan circles, let alone significantly (or better, appropriately) appreciated by even many of the "knowing".

From a previous OTHER ARTISTS post to stay on topic:
Every day I have the blues.  Terrible today to wake up with the blues.  I still have the blues and that's ok.  But devastating to live them hard when someone dies.  sad  Sadly, and I mean no disrespect or pun at all, but in all serious tones, I am most saddened that I never saw Gary Moore perform live.  I even almost had the chance if I had just got to England a few days earlier than the trip over for Joe's RAH.  I could've even joined my friend Tom (RICjunkie) for his show....*sigh*
And like Susan and Ken, I had recently (not yesterday though) been thnking about if and when he might make the states.  hmm

Rock ON & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

Actually Gary Moore was rather well known in ROCK circles, especially back when he was doing rock. He was considered one of the great hard rock guitarists of the '80's to people into hard rock and metal in the U.S. He just fell off the radar to them when he started doing the blues.

When I was a child I spoke as a child, But all I heard was how I should get ahead,
Now growing up it ain't anything but all This indecision with these debts and doubts
And worries hanging over my head. When I was a child I spoke as a child,
I wish I could remember what I said.

Greenose wrote:

Gary Moore was very much opposed to taking any side with respect to the Irish question so he would certainly not have liked to see it raised now.

spot on, - which is why it would be better not to state that he is from Ireland, and that was my point at the very start of this, - quoting him as Irish is what pens up the political bun-fight. The fact is he was from Belfast which is how it is being reported by the respected news agency's.

Not sure that quoting the loudest mouth political animal Sir Bob in the world adds any validity to the nationality issue! I have met him a few times and he just cannot help himself but turn any conversation in a political argument usually with the establishment!

My YouTube channel with plenty of my Joe's videos dating from 2009 inc his first Hammersmith Odeon ones:
http://www.youtube.com/ian916fun

I don't care if he was from Ireland, USA, the UK or afghanistan, forget where he was from, just remember him for what he was, a great inspiring guitarist of the highest order, lets get back to the subject of the thread "For Gary Moore"

Have Fun and laugh like it's your first time! You never know you might get to like it! big_smile

Rest in Peace - Gary

Thanks for all of the great music and insights to playing and making music.

You will be missed greatly.

I will be seeing Bonamassa in Dallas on Feb. 26. Maybe he'll play one of Gary Moore's songs at the show. I could picture him doing Still Got The Blues. It'd be a great tribute to one great guitarist from another. RIP Gary Moore.

48 (edited by susan 2011-02-07 13:14:34)

I was just thinking about the time we saw him at The Hard Rock Cafe in Orlando.  It was May, 1992 and it was a free show.  I didn't remember that it was free, but was reading some posts on other forums from people who were also there.  This was his tour schedule for the 1992 tour of Gary Moore and the Midnight Blues Band.  It seems we saw him shortly after he played The Royal Albert Hall with George Harrison.  He also ONLY played 3 dates that year in the U.S.  (LA, New York and Orlando).  Didn't realize at the time it would be such a rarity to see him in the U.S.

http://www.garymoorefc.com/en/tourdates_1992

The Hard Rock Cafe was the coolest building.  It was replaced with the Hard Rock Live about the time City Walk was created at Universal (I think).  But this old building was shaped like a guitar and to get to the entrance, you drove under the neck of the guitar.  It was very cool and not a very large place. When I think of The Hard Rock Cafe,  I think of Gary Moore.  He just blew the roof off the place.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt … &ty=62

Losing him is still sinking in and it's still so hard to believe.

"Listen to the melody cause my love is in there hiding"

49 (edited by Spider 2011-02-07 18:04:13)

I have been in a deep funk since learning about Gary's death. Much too young. I will miss him. And of course he was a big influence to me also. R.I.P Gary Moore

Stay Safe Y'all
ME

I have the Still Got The Blues album on vinyl and often dep with a band that play that song. Gary Moore was never one of my favourites as some of you know but, God bless him, he left us far too early. It is indeed a sad time. May he rest peacefully and live long in our hearts, minds and in the music that we play and listen to.

Peace out.

Geoff

never give up, never slow down
never grow old, never ever die young

Not one of my favourite guitarists but I'm still shocked at the loss of such a prodigious talent.   

Doesn't matter a toss where he came from, he was up there with the best of them and his playing and music spoke for itself.

I'll remember him through probably one of his lesser known songs, Separate Ways. A beautiful song with a hauntingly restrained solo.

That stage must be getting awfully crowded up there.

RIP GM

'Try as you might to keep a lid on a good time, you can't do it. When people want to have a good time....' - Billy Gibbons

We may have another great guitarist to come from the Emerald Isle if this video is any indication of the talent this young man has to offer.

This comes from the gear section.

Matt wrote:

Hey guys,

I had just finished my exams in January there so I fired some fresh strings and lemon oil on my JBLP and decided I'd have a go at recording myself playing along to Just Got Paid.

I was undecided whether to upload or not as it's kinda rough round the edges, maybe partly due to the red light, mostly due to me big_smile lol. But I hope it might let you hear how my JBLP sounds going through a Tiny Terror, with a Boss GT8 to add in a delay, reverb, and OD pedal.

I might do another video of just myself to hear the tone more clearly, i'm not sure smile

Link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WcF1L579wU

Agree with Ian916, Rev Paul and Jane. With the greatest of respect, your reply was a little simplistic Rocket. However, now is not the time or place. (As I said to the Noraid collector in Manhattan all those years ago).

PS Gary was huge in Japan also!

Spider wrote:

Apparently you to like to stir the pot yourself.

If you took what I wrote as stirring then I am sorry it was not right to do that but now you have quoted what I wrote there is no point me editing  sad and no point you asking for it....or compounding the issue further.

My YouTube channel with plenty of my Joe's videos dating from 2009 inc his first Hammersmith Odeon ones:
http://www.youtube.com/ian916fun