Re: For Gary Moore

When you pick up an electric guitar there are some guitarists you just can't go around, Gary Moore is definitely in that group. His music is just not of this earth, to me Gary is an angel in disguise...

...well according to http://www.garymoorefc.com/en/setlists_2010 Gary's last concert of 2010 was at The Kremlin Palace, Moscow, Russia on the 30th of October, the set list was..

Over The Hills And Far Away
Thunder Rising
Military Man
Days Of Heroes
Where Are You Now?
So Far Away / Empty Rooms
Oh Wild One
Blood Of Emeralds
Out In The Fields
Still Got The Blues
Walking By Myself
Parisienne Walkways (Encore)

...so Gary's last ever performance was this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJNR-tj2QUE

Everyone is born a genius, but the process of living de-geniuses them.
R. Buckminster Fuller

21 (edited by Rooster07 2011-02-07 03:42:10)

Sad news indeed..

For me, Gary Moore was an artist who always paid the utmost respect to his "peers" and as many others have said earlier, led his fans to these guys through his music (i.e. Albert King / Peter Green)

His style was unique and I like the way that he always played songs his way with a lot of fire and passion but at the same time a wonderful touch..

His album "Still Got The Blues" is like an audio textbook (you know what I mean!) for Blues / Rock..

Gutted I never got to see him live but he is joining a long and very distinguished list there..

For me.. this is my favourite Gary Moore moment... this has everthing I love about him as an artist...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9n981iQz3w

"My Caravan...! Has gone and departed...!"

I am shocked and saddened along with everyone else. Gary was such a great guitarist of rock and blues - his combination of ferocious yet soulful guitar playing was unmatched. I was lucky enough to have seen him live twice. This is a sad day for music fans. RIP Gary, and thanks for the great music.

I still can't believe it... that he's no longer with us...
I'll miss him and his music...

RIP Gary...

PIT...  sad

woke up this morning with Planet Rock playing Parisienne Walkways....Very sad sad

I believe that he was  left handed but learned to play right handed, - when I bought my left handed son his first guitar I bought him a normal right handed one in part based on what I understood to be fact about Gary.

Some of my lasting happy memories as a teenager have Thin Lizzy attached to them, - a summer day spent at the skateboard park in the half-pipe with Lizzy blasting out, -  "Black Rose (Róisín Dubh) A rock Legend" one of my favourite vinyl albums growing up.

Just a quick note about him being another one of Ireland's lost guitarists, - he was actually from Belfast which is not part of the Republic of Ireland.

My YouTube channel with plenty of my Joe's videos dating from 2009 inc his first Hammersmith Odeon ones:
http://www.youtube.com/ian916fun

25 (edited by StewartW 2011-02-07 05:28:54)

I would like to say a few things about Gary Moore!

He was without doubt the single biggest reason for why I picked up a guitsr some 35 years ago, his playing was like nothing else.

His music picked me up when I felt low, gave me inspiration when I was frustrated, gave me direction when I had lost my way and gave me energy when it was time to party.

I personally feel a very deep loss at the passing of this guitar legend, the word legend is used too often but in some cases it is the only way to describe an individual with that something extra, Gary, you had it!

Gary, when you get to the pearly gates and St. Peter calls you in, just ask "Where's the bar? and where can I find a Marshall stack, it's rock and roll time and I wanna have some fun"

Have Fun and laugh like it's your first time! You never know you might get to like it! big_smile

26 (edited by Rocket 2011-02-07 05:59:21)

Ian916 wrote:

woke up this morning with Planet Rock playing Parisienne Walkways....Very sad sad

I believe that he was  left handed but learned to play right handed, - when I bought my left handed son his first guitar I bought him a normal right handed one in part based on what I understood to be fact about Gary.

Some of my lasting happy memories as a teenager have Thin Lizzy attached to them, - a summer day spent at the skateboard park in the half-pipe with Lizzy blasting out, -  "Black Rose (Róisín Dubh) A rock Legend" one of my favourite vinyl albums growing up.

Just a quick note about him being another one of Ireland's lost guitarists, - he was actually from Belfast which is not part of the Republic of Ireland.

Quick note on why Ireland has lost another great one: We don't need a geopolitical lesson.  We know that though. To most us US of Aers,  Ireland is Ireland, the island.  You folks have the rest of the idea(s).   Northern Ireland=Ireland.  It's in the name. Geography. We consider Van Morrison Irish and from Ireland also. Not taking sides, just expressing another view.  Kind of like all of North & South America, only US gets called "Americans".  They aren't really Canadians or Mexicans or Brazilians, they are also from America.  We have a misconception also see.

Also, it might come as a huge surprise to our European and other friends, but Gary Moore is no where as well know or respected as in your places.  Yes, many of us do know and do have the love and respect.  But he is not a household name, nor even well known in much of rock music fan circles, let alone significantly (or better, appropriately) appreciated by even many of the "knowing".

From a previous OTHER ARTISTS post to stay on topic:
Every day I have the blues.  Terrible today to wake up with the blues.  I still have the blues and that's ok.  But devastating to live them hard when someone dies.  sad  Sadly, and I mean no disrespect or pun at all, but in all serious tones, I am most saddened that I never saw Gary Moore perform live.  I even almost had the chance if I had just got to England a few days earlier than the trip over for Joe's RAH.  I could've even joined my friend Tom (RICjunkie) for his show....*sigh*
And like Susan and Ken, I had recently (not yesterday though) been thnking about if and when he might make the states.  hmm

Rock ON & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

I just registered to this forum for this thread.

I never been so sad in my life by the passing of a 'celebrity' or a person i don't even know personally.
Joe, I hope you will do a great tribute to gary moore next time i see you play in Amsterdam.
I tried to pay some tribute yesterday at a jam session by playing 'Only Fool In Town' from his 'After Hours' Album.

Then on my way back home, after the jamsession, I realized how we was actually my guitar teacher of some sort, his 'still got the blues'-album was in my CD player for months when i was like 15 or 16, always listening to it when i would wake up, then go to school, come back, try to learn his licks and play along with the album, do some homework for school, go to bed, and listen to the complete album before going to sleep.....and then next day i did exactly the same again.
This realization made me actually cry on the way back home, could not keep the tears out of my eyes.
It is also a shame I never seen the great man live....I am kicking myself for it now.

RIP Gary Moore

To everyone on the forum that plays guitar or is in a band, lets all play some Gary Moore at the next available occasion in tribute to a great player and an inspiration to most guitarists out there.

It doesn't matter if you play it well, just play it from the heart!!!!!

Have Fun and laugh like it's your first time! You never know you might get to like it! big_smile

29 (edited by Mogulmeister 2011-02-07 05:58:28)

Well said Rooster.

I totally agree and I watched Gary from the 70s - he was an amazing guitar player who was sadly underated by many (not Joe!!) whose playing contained emotion, high intensity and virtuosity all together.  I was very priveleged to be at The Royal Albert Hall in the 90's when he came on for a third encore accompanied by George Harrison !

I won't go over old ground - you've covered much of his Thin Lizzy and Blues material already, but to show the diversity of the man - we should not ignore his fusion work with Colloseum II. Some of you might be surprised: he used to say that after playing this stuff he would have to lie flat on the dressing room floor exhausted afterwards!

Check this out (Inquisition):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPJQTY1rnnI

RIP - one of the greats

Love your work Joe - long may it continue!

Rocket wrote:

We don't need a geopolitical lesson

Love to respond to this... but, dare not - the Irish question - is dodgy ground!!  hmm

GOOD KARMA - http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3zkw … o1_500.jpg
Avatar Credit: D.Hirst,Olympic Union Flag
Adele: RAH http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Oio8V3e3WU&ob=av2e -
We Are The Champ20ns

Was thinking about song dedications from his vast catalogue.

I remember on one of his (many) live albums he dedicated a song to the recently departed (and much missed) Randy Rhoads.

It was an instrumental piece called 'Sunset' I believe. Haunting and achingly atmospheric as only Gary could be.

I'm still just coming to terms with the fact that another chance to see him has gone. But I'm grateful to have seen him in his prime which was, for me, at The RAH in London with the Midnight Blues Band. I still have the ticket stubs and a host of unbelievable memories.

Joe is one of the few performers that can deliver the same 'shock and awe' live, as GM could. This coming Friday I will be at Thin Lizzy's Hamburg show. Maybe in a way that will be a good way to say goodbye. I think 'Black Rose' is in the set and Brian and Scott from the 'good old days' will be there. Until then I am going to wear out my considerable collection of his music.

MikeH

No Hits, No Hype.......................Classic Rock Jan 2012

Brack wrote:
Rocket wrote:

We don't need a geopolitical lesson

Love to respond to this... but, dare not - the Irish question - is dodgy ground!!  hmm

have to say that I agree with you Brack - best to leave alone, it would appear that the seriousness of what has been said is not understood.  sad

My YouTube channel with plenty of my Joe's videos dating from 2009 inc his first Hammersmith Odeon ones:
http://www.youtube.com/ian916fun

33 (edited by Michael 2011-02-07 07:55:35)

Having really been numbed by this news and had one whole day to dwell on it, even couldn't focus on Superbowl kept slipping back to thinking of Gary.
Why because Gary Moore and we all knew it deep down inside, that he was one of the most perfect guitar players ever, and i mean EVER .....  But everyone knew his Note fluidity and clarity was nigh on perfection, you could hear the sweet tone and power through it.
He was outstanding, and he stuck to his beliefs, from his transition from Rock with Thin Lizzy to his solo albums where he etched out his own real hard edged blues with his Les Paul Soaring to Monumental heights pushing the guitar to its limits, and some folks didn't care for his vocals but he had a true grittiness and it's real... only if Gary had some big songs he would've been a worldwide superstar, everyone knew that, in USA & Japan he was huge but never really toured big and was happy to sit in that 3,000 venue league.
He was a legend and i guess regarded more by artists than fans cos they knew his true genius, (a guitar's guitar player so to speak)
I was lucky enough to have seen him 3 times in the late 80's/early 90's, 2 of which at Hammersmith, and his tone live was just so clear, i remember  sad
Man i don't know why but this has got me, guess it's the inner respect thing knowing he was way way better than the music world give him credit for.
Gonna put all new purchases on hold and get "Still Got The Blues" on CD , had it on vinyl
and last word goes to Joe whom emotionally started this thread

"His Tone and Phrasing We're Perfect"

God Rest His Soul

Rest In Peace Gary

.................. Michael

Respect in Silence..............   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O_YMLDvvnw

Joe Bonamassa .......  His Greatest 3 Videos ... IMMHO   After Much Deliberation
3rd ...... Mountain Time / Rockpalast       http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h01xa6NMsJo
2nd ...... Sloe Gin       /  Vienna            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRASS8O8ZnE           
1st ....... Blues Deluxe / The Borderline    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnl3E_KLxYg

I am ashamed to say that I'm not familiar with Gary Moore's music. Forgive me, I'm still new to the world of the blues, and there's so much out there... But it sounds very much like Gary is someone I - indeed any blues lover - should know more about, so I will definitely be delving into his music now.

RIP.

- Paul

"It's really liberating to not know you can't do something." - Stevie Ray Vaughan
My photos: http://chemicalgraphics.smugmug.com/

I was hoping to see Gary one more time and prayed that he'd tour the states....wow I still believe he is gone...

(I'll be pulling out the lemon yellow burst Gibson Gary Moore model out tonight)

And so castles made of sand melts into the sea, eventually.........

36 (edited by Relayer 2011-02-07 08:43:59)

Rocket wrote:

Quick note on why Ireland has lost another great one: We don't need a geopolitical lesson.  We know that though. To most us US of Aers,  Ireland is Ireland, the island.  You folks have the rest of the idea(s).   Northern Ireland=Ireland.

There's an old saying that goes, if you can't say anything sensible, don't say anything at all.

I don't think for one minute a "geopolitical lesson" was being given

No matter how far you try to push the envelope, it remains stationery