Re: Friday Night Is Music Night on BBC4 TV

At last a really good night. Ta big_smile

Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)

218 (edited by BansheeUK 2014-09-09 10:08:54)

Friday 19th Sept:-   a "Quo" pourri?

21:00 Hello Quo
Alan G Parker's documentary recounts Status Quo's epic story. (R)

22:20 Big Hits: TOTP 1964 to 1975
With the Rolling Stones, Tom Jones, Status Quo, Procol Harum, Stevie Wonder and the Kinks. (R)

23:50 Roxy Music: Frejus
Roxy Music in concert at Frejus in France in 1982, in front of an audience of 15,000. (R)

00:40 Oh You Pretty Things: The Story of Music and Fashion Tribes
1/3 The '60s saw the Small Faces, Cilla Black, the Beatles and the Stones all embrace fashion. (R)

01:40 Hello Quo

03:00 Roxy Music: Frejus
Roxy Music in concert at Frejus in France in 1982, in front of an audience of 15,000. (R)

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

A quick plug for tonight's excuse to plonk yourself in front of the box (box?), I mean flat screen, beer in hand and bang your head silly. Thanks for keeping us updated, Mike.

Cheers
Phil

BansheeUK wrote:

Sept 12th:-   For those who like everything louder than everything else.....

21:15 Deep Purple: Made in Japan
Film celebrating the 40th anniversary of Deep Purple's double live album Made in Japan.

22:15 Metal Britannia
Documentary which traces the origins and development of British heavy metal. (R)

23:45 Metal at the BBC
Performances from the BBC archive, including Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath and Judas Priest. (R)

00:15 Deep Purple: Made in Japan
Film celebrating the 40th anniversary of Deep Purple's double live album Made in Japan. (R)

01:15 Legends Thin Lizzy: Bad Reputation
Portrait of Irish rockers Thin Lizzy, whose success was tempered by drug problems. (R)

02:15 Metal Britannia
Documentary which traces the origins and development of British heavy metal. (R)

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

“The guy who has helped the blues industry the most is Joe Bonamassa and I would say he is more rock than some rock stuff, so to me blues is whatever you want it to be!”
Simon McBride in my interview with him in Blues Matters! Issue #56

220 (edited by BansheeUK 2014-09-17 04:55:04)

Friday 19th Sept:-   a "Quo" pourri?

22:20 Big Hits: TOTP 1964 to 1975
With the Rolling Stones, Tom Jones, Status Quo, Procol Harum, Stevie Wonder and the Kinks. (R)

23:50 Roxy Music: Frejus

00:40 Oh You Pretty Things: The Story of Music and Fashion Tribes
1/3 The '60s saw the Small Faces, Cilla Black, the Beatles and the Stones all embrace fashion. (R)

01:40 Hello Quo

03:00 Roxy Music: Frejus

26th Sept - The 70s are back!!!! Fortunately, not a whiff of Disco....

21:00 Storyville Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars
David Bowie's last public appearance as his androgynous alter ego Ziggy Stardust. (R)

22:25 Queen: The Legendary 1975 Concert
Concert by the rock band Queen from Christmas Eve 1975 at London's Hammersmith Odeon. (R)

23:15 TOTP2 70s Special
With Donny Osmond, David Cassidy, Page and Plant and Alice Cooper. (R)

00:00 Oh You Pretty Things: The Story of Music and Fashion Idols
2/3 A look at music and fashion in the 70s, a time of political, social and cultural upheaval. (R)

01:00 Storyville Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars
David Bowie's last public appearance as his androgynous alter ego Ziggy Stardust. (R)

02:25 Queen: The Legendary 1975 Concert
Concert by the rock band Queen from Christmas Eve 1975 at London's Hammersmith Odeon. (R)

03:15 TOTP2: 70s Special
With Donny Osmond, David Cassidy, Page and Plant and Alice Cooper. (R)

Friday 3rd Oct:

I know I usually post up the forthcoming schedule for the night, but really, seriously, I'd advise you make plans and go out tonight. (I'll be catching Ben Poole at Newcastle Cluny).  I'd report what is planned, but do you really want Duran Duran name-dropped on here? Oops!  Only thing worth catching are the re-runs of August's Kate Bush specials.

BBC4 - Friday 17th October,

They're going to be showing Robert Plant & Sensational Space Shifters (what's wrong with "Band"?) set from this year's Glastonbury as well as Jeff Lynne's ELO performance at Hyde Park from this summer as well as documentaries about both artists.

Check BBC4 schedules page for timings.

Some bloke called J.M. Hendrix featured on 10th - just look at posting for April 18th for timings. (If the BBC can't be bothered, why should I?)

223 (edited by BansheeUK 2014-11-07 04:56:32)

After a couple of weeks in the doldrums, BBC4 come back swingin' for Country Music fans. So, after a hard week's hoeing the rutabagas:-

Friday 7th Nov:-

21:00 The Heart of Country: How Nashville Became Music City USA
Biography of Nashville, the city that has been the hub of country music since 1925.

22:30 Country Queens at the BBC
With Bobbie Gentry, Anne Murray, Emmylou Harris, Tammy Wynette, Crystal Gayle and more.

23:30 Dolly Parton: Platinum Blonde
Profile of the singer and actress. With contributions from friends, family and colleagues. (R)

00:30  John Denver: Country Boy
Documentary exploring the private life and public legacy of country singer John Denver. (R)

01:30 The Heart of Country: How Nashville Became Music City USA
Biography of Nashville, the city that has been the hub of country music since 1925. (R)

03:00 Country Queens at the BBC
With Bobbie Gentry, Anne Murray, Emmylou Harris, Tammy Wynette, Crystal Gayle and more. (R)

Friday 14th Nov

21:00 Johnny Cash: The Man, His World, His Music
A rare chance to see the 1969 classic film that captures the Man in Black at his peak.

22:00 Bob Harris: My Nashville
'Whispering' Bob Harris reveals why Nashville became America's country music capital.

23:00 Brad Paisley and Friends
Country superstar Brad Paisley performs live at the BBC's Radio Theatre in central London.

00:00 Johnny Cash: The Man, His World, His Music
A rare chance to see the 1969 classic film that captures the Man in Black at his peak. (R)

01:00 John Denver at Wembley Arena
Country singer-songwriter John Denver performs in concert at Wembley Arena in 1979. (R)

01:40 Bob Harris: My Nashville
'Whispering' Bob Harris reveals why Nashville became America's country music capital. (R)

02:40 Brad Paisley and Friends
Country superstar Brad Paisley performs live at the BBC's Radio Theatre in central London. (R)

Phil:- Contains scenes of full, frontal John Denver, so you may need to take your tablets....  wink

BansheeUK wrote:

Phil:- Contains scenes of full, frontal John Denver, so you may need to take your tablets....  wink

Thanks for the warning, Mike. I'll make sure I'm otherwise engaged. I should be out seeing Jo Harman at the New Crawdaddy tonight, but looks like I might not make it at the moment. sad

Phil

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

“The guy who has helped the blues industry the most is Joe Bonamassa and I would say he is more rock than some rock stuff, so to me blues is whatever you want it to be!”
Simon McBride in my interview with him in Blues Matters! Issue #56

Fri 21st Nov:

Bad News - more of the same; Good news - no John Denver; Better news - I'm off to see Stevie Nimmo Band that night.

21:00 Kenny Rogers: Cards on the Table
Chronicling Kenny Rogers's rise to the top and the golden era of country he ushered in.

22:00 Country Kings at the BBC
The Everly Brothers, Jerry Lee Lewis, Garth Brooks, Willie Nelson, Glen Campbell and more.

23:00 Dolly Parton @ Glastonbury 2014
The complete set by the undisputed queen of country music from the Pyramid Stage. (R)

00:10 Glen Campbell: The Rhinestone Cowboy
Profile of singer/guitarist Glen Campbell, a story of success, disgrace and redemption. (R)

01:10 Kenny Rogers: Cards on the Table
Chronicling Kenny Rogers's rise to the top and the golden era of country he ushered in. (R)

02:10 Country Kings at the BBC
The Everly Brothers, Jerry Lee Lewis, Garth Brooks, Willie Nelson, Glen Campbell and more. (R)

03:10 In Concert Squeeze
David Hepworth introduces a 1982 live concert by Squeeze at the Regal Theatre in Hitchin. (R)

Friday 28th Nov:-

Well, finally, BBC4 get of their Country phase and set the controls for the heart of the sun... Yep, an evening of Pink Floyd with what looks to be a gem of a documentary in between -the story of Marshall Amps....

21:00 A Pink Floyd Miscellany 1967-2005
Including Arnold Layne, Another Brick in the Wall (Part 2) and Grantchester Meadows. (R)

22:00 Play it Loud: The Story of the Marshall Amp
The history of the iconic black box that has come to define the sound of rock.

23:00 Pink Floyd: Wish You Were Here
Documentary which explores the making of Pink Floyd's album, Wish You Were Here. (R)

00:00 Great Guitar Riffs at the BBC
With Jimi Hendrix, the Kinks, Cream, AC/DC, the Smiths, Radiohead, the Yardbirds and more. (R)

01:00 A Pink Floyd Miscellany 1967-2005
Including Arnold Layne, Another Brick in the Wall (Part 2) and Grantchester Meadows. (R)

02:00 Play it Loud: The Story of the Marshall Amp
The history of the iconic black box that has come to define the sound of rock. (R)

03:00 Pink Floyd: Wish You Were Here
Documentary which explores the making of Pink Floyd's album, Wish You Were Here. (R)

227 (edited by BansheeUK 2014-11-25 09:45:10)

Friday 5th Dec;  BBC4's going all funky, so git on down....

21:00 The Story of Funk: One Nation under a Groove
How funk burst out of the black community at a time of self-discovery and social change.

22:00 The Genius of Funk
With Earth, Wind & Fire, Kool & the Gang, Average White Band and Herbie Hancock.

23:00 Black Music Legends of the 1980s Prince: A Purple Reign
2/4 Documentary showing how Prince revolutionised the perception of black music in the 1980s. (R)

00:00 Synth Britannia at the BBC
A 1970s/80s journey through the BBC's synthpop archives from Roxy Music to New Order. (R)

01:00 The Story of Funk: One Nation under a Groove
How funk burst out of the black community at a time of self-discovery and social change. (R)

02:00 The Genius of Funk
With Earth, Wind & Fire, Kool & the Gang, Average White Band and Herbie Hancock. (R)

03:00 Black Music Legends of the 1980s Prince: A Purple Reign
2/4 Documentary showing how Prince revolutionised the perception of black music in the 1980s. (R)

Gittin' back up again, that's optional.....

Friday 12th Dec:-

21:00 Queen - Days of Our Lives Episode 1
1/2 The story of British rock band Queen, formed in 1971. (R)

22:00 Queen - Days of Our Lives Episode 2
2/2 The second half of this documentary sees Queen at the peak of their powers. (R)

23:00 Great American Rock Anthems: Turn it up to 11
Documentary celebrating the evolution of the American rock anthem from the 70s to the 90s. (R)

00:00 Guitar Heroes at the BBC Part III
3/6 With Status Quo, the Who, Dire Straits, Lynyrd Skynyrd, George Benson and Link Wray. (R)

01:00 Queen - Days of Our Lives Episode 1
1/2 The story of British rock band Queen, formed in 1971. (R)

02:00 Queen - Days of Our Lives  Episode 2
2/2 The second half of this documentary sees Queen at the peak of their powers. (R)

03:00 Great American Rock Anthems: Turn it up to 11
Documentary celebrating the evolution of the American rock anthem from the 70s to the 90s. (R)

229 (edited by BansheeUK 2014-12-11 10:29:13)

Friday 19th - "You can tell by the way I use my walk I'm..Stayin' Alive, Stayin' Alive...." I haven't taken BeeGees seriously since Kenny Everett's BeeGees tablets skit...

19:30 Diamonds are Forever: The Don Black Songbook
Lyricist Don Black shares some insights into his life's work with Michael Grade. (R)

21:00 The Joy of the Bee Gees
Profile of the Gibb brothers, from child stars in Australia to 70s disco superstars.

22:00 The Bee Gees at the BBC... and Beyond
Classic Bee Gees studio performances including all the big hits from the 60s to the 90s.

23:00 Queens of Disco
Featuring Gloria Gaynor, Donna Summer, Grace Jones, Chaka Khan and Madonna. (R)

00:00 Disco at the BBC
Featuring Chic, Labelle, Rose Royce, the Village People and many more. (R)

01:00 The Joy of the Bee Gees
Profile of the Gibb brothers, from child stars in Australia to 70s disco superstars. (R)

02:00 The Bee Gees at the BBC... and Beyond
Classic Bee Gees studio performances including all the big hits from the 60s to the 90s. (R)

03:00 The Joy of Disco
How the much-derided music genre of disco actually changed the world. (R)

First person to say "well it's Christmas" will be boiled alive in Egg-Nog; second person will be made to drink it....

PS - is the Topic counter for "Other Bands" stuck on 4,999 or is everybody afraid of being #5000?

230 (edited by BansheeUK 2015-01-20 10:46:59)

January 30th

Not worth giving the whole evening's scheduling, but there's a programme on at 22:00 (repeat 01:30) that may tickle a few ears, though not Blues, certainly as we know it.....

Kraftwerk: Pop Art.

Documentary telling the amazing story of how a group of reclusive Rhineland experimentalists called Kraftwerk became one of the most influential pop groups of all time. It is a celebration of the band featuring exclusive live tracks filmed at their Tate Modern shows in London in February 2013, interwoven with expert analysis, archive footage of the group going back to 1970, newsreel of the era and newly shot cinematic evocations of their obsessions. With contributions from techno pioneer Derrick May, Can founder Holger Czukay, DJ and remixer Francois Kevorkian, graphic design guru Neville Brody, writer Paul Morley, band photographer Peter Boettcher, Tate Modern curator Caroline Wood and others.

Kraftwerk are very much in the news at the moment as they are currently playing a week of concerts at the New National Gallery in Berlin (to follow other concert-events including those at the Tate, Sydney Opera House , New York's MOMA etc), the first international academic conference on the group, 'Industrielle Volksmusic for the C21', is to be held at Aston University on January 21st/22nd, and interest has been stirred by recent books exploring the group in the context of Krautrock such as David Stubbs's Future Days.

Wonder if they'll include this:-  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJBVglgufyY    Probably not.

Amazing story of group and how everything is being organized and tackled

February 6th

Finally, an evening almost worth viewing, especially all you progsters- Genesis.

21:00 Genesis: Together and Apart
A feature-length documentary about one of the most successful British bands in rock music. (R)

22:30 Genesis: Three Sides Live
Genesis filmed in November 1981 on the Abacab tour in North America.

23:55 TOTP2 Genesis
Classic collective hits and smash solo singles spanning 20 early years of Genesis history. (R)

00:40 Genesis: Together and Apart
A feature-length documentary about one of the most successful British bands in rock music. (R)

02:10 Genesis: Three Sides Live
Genesis filmed in November 1981 on the Abacab tour in North America. (R)

03:30 Sounds of the Sixties Original Series, The Folk Revival
4/10 A trawl through the BBC's archives for 60s music with an acoustic bent. (R)

Great I missed it first time around. Must set the box. Ta  big_smile

Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)

Didn't think there's be much interest from the forum regarding tonight's Neil Sedaka features.

However, Friday 20th Feb, looks like we're off in search of the Fourth Chord - an evening of Quo:-

22:20 Status Quo: Live and Acoustic
At London's Roundhouse, Status Quo perform an acoustic set of classics.

23:20 Acoustic at the BBC
Acoustic guitar performances, including Jimmy Page, Oasis and Biffy Clyro. (R)

00:20 Hello Quo

01:40 Status Quo: Live and Acoustic
At London's Roundhouse, Status Quo perform an acoustic set of classics. (R)

2:40 Acoustic at the BBC
Acoustic guitar performances, including Jimmy Page, Oasis and Biffy Clyro. (R)