Re: Friday Night Is Music Night on BBC4 TV

Shame the BBC couldn't see fit to drop along where I'll be on the evening of the 13th - Darlington Forum with the ever "spangly" Chantel McGregor supported by an acoustic Andrew (Mentulls) Pipe. (Praying to the Norse Gods for a jam.....)

May just get back for the 2nd showing of the Roberta Flack, always loved her First Time Ever I Saw Your Face.

All those who believe in psychokenesis raise my hand........

Re: Friday Night Is Music Night on BBC4 TV

June 20th - Warning, tonight's view contains gratuitous Barry Manilow that some viewers will find disturbing. (And the Billy Joel isn't much better.)

20:30 Sounds of the Eighties
1/8 With Adam and the Ants, Duran Duran, Culture Club, ABC, Wham! and Kylie Minogue. (R)

21:00 Billy Joel: The Bridge to Russia
Film documenting Billy Joel's groundbreaking tour of the Soviet Union in 1987.

22:15 Billy Joel Live in Leningrad
With An Innocent Man, It's Still Rock 'n' Roll to Me, Uptown Girl and Back in the USSR.

23:35 Barry Manilow at the BBC
A mixture of songs, interviews and rarely-seen documentary footage from the BBC archive. (R)

00:35 Billy Joel: The Bridge to Russia
Film documenting Billy Joel's groundbreaking tour of the Soviet Union in 1987. (R)

01:50 Billy Joel Live in Leningrad
With An Innocent Man, It's Still Rock 'n' Roll to Me, Uptown Girl and Back in the USSR. (R)

03:10 Sounds of the Eighties
1/8 With Adam and the Ants, Duran Duran, Culture Club, ABC, Wham! and Kylie Minogue. (R)

All those who believe in psychokenesis raise my hand........

Re: Friday Night Is Music Night on BBC4 TV

BansheeUK wrote:

June 20th - Warning, tonight's view contains gratuitous Barry Manilow that some viewers will find disturbing. (And the Billy Joel isn't much better.)

20:30 Sounds of the Eighties
1/8 With Adam and the Ants, Duran Duran, Culture Club, ABC, Wham! and Kylie Minogue. (R)

21:00 Billy Joel: The Bridge to Russia
Film documenting Billy Joel's groundbreaking tour of the Soviet Union in 1987.

22:15 Billy Joel Live in Leningrad
With An Innocent Man, It's Still Rock 'n' Roll to Me, Uptown Girl and Back in the USSR.

23:35 Barry Manilow at the BBC
A mixture of songs, interviews and rarely-seen documentary footage from the BBC archive. (R)

00:35 Billy Joel: The Bridge to Russia
Film documenting Billy Joel's groundbreaking tour of the Soviet Union in 1987. (R)

01:50 Billy Joel Live in Leningrad
With An Innocent Man, It's Still Rock 'n' Roll to Me, Uptown Girl and Back in the USSR. (R)

03:10 Sounds of the Eighties
1/8 With Adam and the Ants, Duran Duran, Culture Club, ABC, Wham! and Kylie Minogue. (R)

YUK... I hope there is something on the other side. lol

Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)

Re: Friday Night Is Music Night on BBC4 TV

PSmith1946 wrote:
BansheeUK wrote:

June 20th - Warning, tonight's view contains gratuitous Barry Manilow that some viewers will find disturbing. (And the Billy Joel isn't much better.)

20:30 Sounds of the Eighties
1/8 With Adam and the Ants, Duran Duran, Culture Club, ABC, Wham! and Kylie Minogue. (R)

21:00 Billy Joel: The Bridge to Russia
Film documenting Billy Joel's groundbreaking tour of the Soviet Union in 1987.

22:15 Billy Joel Live in Leningrad
With An Innocent Man, It's Still Rock 'n' Roll to Me, Uptown Girl and Back in the USSR.

23:35 Barry Manilow at the BBC
A mixture of songs, interviews and rarely-seen documentary footage from the BBC archive. (R)

00:35 Billy Joel: The Bridge to Russia
Film documenting Billy Joel's groundbreaking tour of the Soviet Union in 1987. (R)

01:50 Billy Joel Live in Leningrad
With An Innocent Man, It's Still Rock 'n' Roll to Me, Uptown Girl and Back in the USSR. (R)

03:10 Sounds of the Eighties
1/8 With Adam and the Ants, Duran Duran, Culture Club, ABC, Wham! and Kylie Minogue. (R)

YUK... I hope there is something on the other side. lol

If it wasn't for Trevor Sewell Band @ Voodoo Café in Darlington, I'd be taking the dog for a very long walk - and that would mean I'd have to beg, steal, borrow or buy one first!

All those who believe in psychokenesis raise my hand........

203 (edited by BansheeUK 2014-06-17 08:27:37)

Re: Friday Night Is Music Night on BBC4 TV

June 24th:-  Get your willies on, BBC4 is off to Glasto:-

19:30 Sounds of the Eighties  Episode 2
2/8 With Spandau Ballet, Phil Collins, Fine Young Cannibals, Tears For Fears and Simply Red. (R)

20:00 Glastonbury  2014, 2014
Mark Radcliffe presents coverage of the opening day from Worthy Farm in Somerset.

21:00 Glastonbury  2014, Elbow
Glastonbury veterans Elbow take to the stage as the penultimate act on the Pyramid Stage.

22:00 Pop Charts Britannia: 60 Years of the Top 10
Documentary chronicling our ever-changing love affair with the British singles chart. (R)

23:30 When Albums Ruled the World
How the album changed popular music for ever between the mid 1960s and the late 1970s. (R)

01:00 Sound It Out
Documentary following life in one of the last independent record shops still trading. (R)

02:00 Sounds of the Eighties Episode 2
2/8 With Spandau Ballet, Phil Collins, Fine Young Cannibals, Tears For Fears and Simply Red. (R)

02:30 Pop Charts Britannia: 60 Years of the Top 10
Documentary chronicling our ever-changing love affair with the British singles chart. (R)

With complementary coverage on BBC3:-

19:00 Glastonbury  2014, Rudimental
Live coverage kicks off in style with Hackney party band Rudimental on the Pyramid Stage.

20:00 Glastonbury  2014, Haim & Lily Allen
LA sisters Haim rock the Other Stage and Lily Allen makes a return to the Pyramid Stage.

21:00 Glastonbury  2014, Paolo Nutini
Gemma Cairney hangs out at the Other Stage with Scottish singer-songwriter Paolo Nutini.

22:00 Russell Howard's Good News  Series 3, Episode 2
2/9 Topical comedy show with Russell Howard, who offers his perspective on the latest news. (R)

22:30 EastEnders  27/06/2014
Phil is shocked when he wakes to find an intruder in his house. (R
)

23:00 Glastonbury  2014, Kaiser Chiefs
At the John Peel tent, festival favourites Kaiser Chiefs return to Glastonbury.


PS - PSmith - word is that CBBC are re-doing Dangermouse - Cripes!!!

All those who believe in psychokenesis raise my hand........

204

Re: Friday Night Is Music Night on BBC4 TV

I think I will pass on the Glastonbury episodes.

Re: Friday Night Is Music Night on BBC4 TV

Kenny wrote:

I think I will pass on the Glastonbury episodes.

I may try to catch Paulo Nutini (if I remember) to see if he sings Iron Sky from his current CD - yes, really. Believe it or not I heard it on Planet Rock last week and it was a real "who the heck is that moment". I was quite shocked that it was him as the vocals were strong and the song was nothing like I've heard from him before - not that I've listened to him a lot, of course. It was an extremely powerful song that really grabbed my attention. Yes, I couldn't believe it either, but you have to keep an open mind. wink

Phil
PS Mike, are wellies called willies in your part of the country? Very strange. big_smile

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

“The guy who has helped the blues industry the most is Joe Bonamassa and I would say he is more rock than some rock stuff, so to me blues is whatever you want it to be!”
Simon McBride in my interview with him in Blues Matters! Issue #56

Re: Friday Night Is Music Night on BBC4 TV

BansheeUK wrote:

June 24th:-  Get your willies on, BBC4 is off to Glasto:-

19:30 Sounds of the Eighties  Episode 2
2/8 With Spandau Ballet, Phil Collins, Fine Young Cannibals, Tears For Fears and Simply Red. (R)

20:00 Glastonbury  2014, 2014
Mark Radcliffe presents coverage of the opening day from Worthy Farm in Somerset.

21:00 Glastonbury  2014, Elbow
Glastonbury veterans Elbow take to the stage as the penultimate act on the Pyramid Stage.

22:00 Pop Charts Britannia: 60 Years of the Top 10
Documentary chronicling our ever-changing love affair with the British singles chart. (R)

23:30 When Albums Ruled the World
How the album changed popular music for ever between the mid 1960s and the late 1970s. (R)

01:00 Sound It Out
Documentary following life in one of the last independent record shops still trading. (R)

02:00 Sounds of the Eighties Episode 2
2/8 With Spandau Ballet, Phil Collins, Fine Young Cannibals, Tears For Fears and Simply Red. (R)

02:30 Pop Charts Britannia: 60 Years of the Top 10
Documentary chronicling our ever-changing love affair with the British singles chart. (R)

With complementary coverage on BBC3:-

19:00 Glastonbury  2014, Rudimental
Live coverage kicks off in style with Hackney party band Rudimental on the Pyramid Stage.

20:00 Glastonbury  2014, Haim & Lily Allen
LA sisters Haim rock the Other Stage and Lily Allen makes a return to the Pyramid Stage.

21:00 Glastonbury  2014, Paolo Nutini
Gemma Cairney hangs out at the Other Stage with Scottish singer-songwriter Paolo Nutini.

22:00 Russell Howard's Good News  Series 3, Episode 2
2/9 Topical comedy show with Russell Howard, who offers his perspective on the latest news. (R)

22:30 EastEnders  27/06/2014
Phil is shocked when he wakes to find an intruder in his house. (R
)

23:00 Glastonbury  2014, Kaiser Chiefs
At the John Peel tent, festival favourites Kaiser Chiefs return to Glastonbury.


PS - PSmith - word is that CBBC are re-doing Dangermouse - Cripes!!!

Really happy about this. As long as they don't update it too much should be great. big_smile

Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)

207

Re: Friday Night Is Music Night on BBC4 TV

Wooders wrote:
Kenny wrote:

I think I will pass on the Glastonbury episodes.

I may try to catch Paulo Nutini (if I remember) to see if he sings Iron Sky from his current CD - yes, really. Believe it or not I heard it on Planet Rock last week and it was a real "who the heck is that moment". I was quite shocked that it was him as the vocals were strong and the song was nothing like I've heard from him before - not that I've listened to him a lot, of course. It was an extremely powerful song that really grabbed my attention. Yes, I couldn't believe it either, but you have to keep an open mind. wink


Phil
PS Mike, are wellies called willies in your part of the country? Very strange. big_smile

Nothing wrong with Paulo Phil, have a listen to Let me down easy from his new album. Saw him 3 times when he first arrived. Very talented guy.

Re: Friday Night Is Music Night on BBC4 TV

Wooders wrote:
Kenny wrote:

I think I will pass on the Glastonbury episodes.

I may try to catch Paulo Nutini (if I remember) to see if he sings Iron Sky from his current CD - yes, really. Believe it or not I heard it on Planet Rock last week and it was a real "who the heck is that moment". I was quite shocked that it was him as the vocals were strong and the song was nothing like I've heard from him before - not that I've listened to him a lot, of course. It was an extremely powerful song that really grabbed my attention. Yes, I couldn't believe it either, but you have to keep an open mind. wink

Phil
PS Mike, are wellies called willies in your part of the country? Very strange. big_smile

Oops!!!  :emb   What folk do in their tents is entirely their business....

Re- Paulo Nutini, I wouldn't pre-judge Paulo just because Pencil Full of Lead was all over the place about 4/5 years back; it's probably taken him that time to shake that off (and buy him a nice little fish shop in Glasgow); the 1st album, These Streets wasn't a bad debut by a long chalk.

All those who believe in psychokenesis raise my hand........

Re: Friday Night Is Music Night on BBC4 TV

July 4th - another re-runs night!

20:30 Sounds of the Eighties  Episode 3
3/8 Performances from the BBC archives, including Kool and the Gang and the Pointer Sisters. (R)

21:00 The Richest Songs in the World
A countdown of the ten songs which have earned the most money of all time. (R)

22:30 Neil Sedaka: King of Song
Documentary portrait telling the story of singer-songwriter Neil Sedaka's life and career. (R)

23:30 Neil Sedaka Says: All You Need Is the Music
Neil Sedaka performs hits from his rock 'n' roll days and his later, more lyrical age. (R)

00:15 Sounds of the Eighties  Episode 3
3/8 Performances from the BBC archives, including Kool and the Gang and the Pointer Sisters. (R)

00:45 The Richest Songs in the World
A countdown of the ten songs which have earned the most money of all time. (R)

02:15 Neil Sedaka: King of Song
Documentary portrait telling the story of singer-songwriter Neil Sedaka's life and career. (R)

03:15 Neil Sedaka Says: All You Need Is the Music
Neil Sedaka performs hits from his rock 'n' roll days and his later, more lyrical age. (R)

Meanwhile - Happy 4th of July to American brothers & sisters.

All those who believe in psychokenesis raise my hand........

210 (edited by BansheeUK 2014-06-30 04:16:45)

Re: Friday Night Is Music Night on BBC4 TV

July 11th - Finally, some new documentaries; Phil, they must have heard you the other week.

20:30 Sounds of the Eighties  Episode 4
4/8 With Depeche Mode, the Human League, Yazoo, Soft Cell, New Order and Pet Shop Boys. (R)

21:00 Britain's Most Dangerous Songs: Listen to the Banned
The story of ten records from the 1930s to the present that have been banned by the BBC.

22:00 More Dangerous Songs: And the Banned Played On
Compilation of songs previously banned by the BBC.

23:00 A Hard Day's Night
Anarchic and offbeat 1960s story of 36 hours in the lives of the Beatles.

00:25 Britain's Most Dangerous Songs: Listen to the Banned
The story of ten records from the 1930s to the present that have been banned by the BBC. (R)

01:25 More Dangerous Songs: And the Banned Played On
Compilation of songs previously banned by the BBC. (R)

02:25 Sounds of the Eighties  Episode 4
4/8 With Depeche Mode, the Human League, Yazoo, Soft Cell, New Order and Pet Shop Boys. (R)

02:55 Guitar Heroes at the BBC Part III
3/6 With Status Quo, The Who, Dire Straits, Lynyrd Skynyrd, George Benson and Link Wray. (R)

All those who believe in psychokenesis raise my hand........

211 (edited by BansheeUK 2014-07-08 08:48:44)

Re: Friday Night Is Music Night on BBC4 TV

Friday 18th July - Air guitars at the ready - or real ones if you're flash:-

20:30 Sounds of the Eighties  Episode 5
5/8 Teardrop Explodes, Orange Juice, Robert Wyatt, Aztec Camera, Billy Bragg and the Fall. (R)
 
21:00 The Joy of the Guitar Riff
Film tracing the ebb and flow of the guitar riff - the DNA of rock 'n' roll.

22:00 Great Guitar Riffs at the BBC
With Jimi Hendrix, the Kinks, Cream, AC/DC, the Smiths, Radiohead, the Yardbirds and more.

23:00 Sound City
Dave Grohl uncovers stories about the legendary Los Angeles studio, Sound City. (R)

00:50 The Joy of the Guitar Riff
Film tracing the ebb and flow of the guitar riff - the DNA of rock 'n' roll. (R)

01:50 Great Guitar Riffs at the BBC
With Jimi Hendrix, the Kinks, Cream, AC/DC, the Smiths, Radiohead, the Yardbirds and more. (R)

02:50 Guitar Heroes at the BBC  Part II
2/6 With Jimi Hendrix, Pete Townshend, Peter Green, Johnny Winter, Ry Cooder and Angus Young. (R)

All those who believe in psychokenesis raise my hand........

Re: Friday Night Is Music Night on BBC4 TV

Friday 25th July - A night for Soul......

21:30 Northern Soul: Living for the Weekend
Film about one of the most exciting underground British club movements of the 1970s.

22:30 Motown at the BBC
With the Miracles, the Supremes, the Temptations, Stevie Wonder and the Four Tops. (R)

23:30 Black Music Legends of the 1980s  Prince: A Purple Reign
2/4 Documentary showing how Prince revolutionised the perception of black music in the 1980s. (R)

00:30 Northern Soul: Living for the Weekend
Film about one of the most exciting underground British club movements of the 1970s. (R)

01:30 Motown at the BBC
With the Miracles, the Supremes, the Temptations, Stevie Wonder and the Four Tops. (R)

02:30 Black Music Legends of the 1980s  Prince: A Purple Reign
2/4 Documentary showing how Prince revolutionised the perception of black music in the 1980s. (R)

All those who believe in psychokenesis raise my hand........

Re: Friday Night Is Music Night on BBC4 TV

Friday Aug 1st - "The King......."

21:10 Elvis: That's Alright Mama 60 Years On
Musical tribute to Elvis, 60 years after he recorded his first single That's All Right.

22:10 Kings of Rock and Roll
A look back at the 1950s, a decade often seen as having the wildest pop music of all time. (R)

23:10 50s Britannia  Rock 'n' Roll Britannia
1/2 Documentary about British youth's attempts to copy American rock 'n' roll in the late 50s. (R)

00:10 Elvis: That's Alright Mama 60 Years On
Musical tribute to Elvis, 60 years after he recorded his first single That's All Right. (R)

01:10 Kings of Rock and Roll
A look back at the 1950s, a decade often seen as having the wildest pop music of all time. (R)

02:10 50s Britannia Rock 'n' Roll Britannia
1/2 Documentary about British youth's attempts to copy American rock 'n' roll in the late 50s. (R)

All those who believe in psychokenesis raise my hand........

Re: Friday Night Is Music Night on BBC4 TV

22nd August:-
Well Looks like the Beeb are warming us up for Kate Bush's epic run at London Hammersmith or whatever its called this week -

21:10 The Kate Bush Story: Running up That Hill
Exploring Kate Bush's career and music through the testimony of collaborators and fans.

22:10 Kate Bush at the BBC
Including the hits Wuthering Heights, Babooshka, Running up That Hill and Hounds of Love.

23:10 The Old Grey Whistle Test 70s Gold
Including Elton John, David Bowie, Curtis Mayfield, Steppenwolf, the Jam and Blondie. (R)

00:40 The Kate Bush Story: Running up That Hill
Exploring Kate Bush's career and music through the testimony of collaborators and fans. (R)

01:40 Kate Bush at the BBC
Including the hits Wuthering Heights, Babooshka, Running up That Hill and Hounds of Love. (R)

02:40 Top of the Pops 1979 - Big Hits
The Jam, the Specials, Madness, Elvis Costello, Squeeze, Gary Numan, Chic and many more. (R)

29th August
Not to be outdone, the other 70s Icons - Blondie Yeah!!! (sorry, slight bias there...)

21:00 Blondie's New York... and the Making of Parallel Lines
The story of Blondie's album Parallel Lines, which captured the spirit of 70s New York.

21:50 Blondie @ Glastonbury
The Friday lunchtime set at the festival by legendary New York group Blondie. (R)

22:45 Synth Britannia
How a group of post-punk musicians took the synthesiser to the centre of the pop stage. (R)

00:15 Blondie's New York... and the Making of Parallel Lines
The story of Blondie's album Parallel Lines, which captured the spirit of 70s New York. (R)

01:05 Blondie @ Glastonbury
The Friday lunchtime set at the festival by legendary New York group Blondie. (R)

02:00 Synth Britannia
How a group of post-punk musicians took the synthesiser to the centre of the pop stage. (R)

All those who believe in psychokenesis raise my hand........

Re: Friday Night Is Music Night on BBC4 TV

Hopefully will miss the 22ns as it's Colne R and B weekend. :cool

Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)

Re: Friday Night Is Music Night on BBC4 TV

Sept 12th:-   For those who like everything louder than everything else.....

21:15 Deep Purple: Made in Japan
Film celebrating the 40th anniversary of Deep Purple's double live album Made in Japan.

22:15 Metal Britannia
Documentary which traces the origins and development of British heavy metal. (R)

23:45 Metal at the BBC
Performances from the BBC archive, including Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath and Judas Priest. (R)

00:15 Deep Purple: Made in Japan
Film celebrating the 40th anniversary of Deep Purple's double live album Made in Japan. (R)

01:15 Legends Thin Lizzy: Bad Reputation
Portrait of Irish rockers Thin Lizzy, whose success was tempered by drug problems. (R)

02:15 Metal Britannia
Documentary which traces the origins and development of British heavy metal. (R)

All those who believe in psychokenesis raise my hand........