19 (edited by Sjmckean 2011-01-13 22:53:22)

Re: Is this series or parallel?

Sorry guys, Joe is right.  Kind of.  The speakers are connected in series, but I don't think it's right, because they are connected to the supply in parallel.  Look at the photo and draw it out.  Let's say for discussion's sake that we rotate the speakers 90 degs left and right so that the terminals are pointing down on both.  Now let's say that the left terminal on each is negative and the right term is positive.  Forget the power supply right now.  The speakers appear to be wired so that the black jumper lead is connecting negative of the left speaker to the positive of the right speaker,  while the white jumper appears to connect the pos of the left speaker to the neg of the right speaker.  That is a series loop through the speakers. 
  Now, add the power supply.  The white lead is connected to the negative of the left speaker, which is also the positive of the right speaker.  The red lead is connected to the positive of the left speaker, which is the negative of the right speaker. 
  Basically, the speakers are connected in series, but connected to power in parallel, making the speakers out of phase from each other.  So the original question should have been, are the speakers wired in, or out, of phase?
  If they should be out of phase with each other, then it's correct.  If they are supposed to be in phase, then the speaker terminals should be swapped on one of the speakers, making sure that both speaker positives are connected to the positive supply, and both negatives are connected to the negative supply, otherwise, both speakers will be out of phase.

Boy, do I feel dumb.  After all that thinking and writing, i reread the other posts and realized that Sonicboom already said this, with a lot fewer words.   roll

2011 Gibson Joe Bonamassa Les Paul Studio Gold Top, 2010 Epi Joe Bonamassa Les Paul Gold Top, 2010 Epi Les Paul Standard '57 Gold Top, 2010 Epi Les Paul Standard Honey Burst (autographed by Joe Bonamassa), 2006 Epi Les Paul Classic Quilt top, 2004 Eric Clapton Strat, 1989 First wife

Sjmckean wrote:

Sorry guys, Joe is right.  Kind of.  The speakers are connected in series, but I don't think it's right, because they are connected to the supply in parallel.  Look at the photo and draw it out.  Let's say for discussion's sake that we rotate the speakers 90 degs left and right so that the terminals are pointing down on both.  Now let's say that the left terminal on each is negative and the right term is positive.  Forget the power supply right now.  The speakers appear to be wired so that the black jumper lead is connecting negative of the left speaker to the positive of the right speaker,  while the white jumper appears to connect the pos of the left speaker to the neg of the right speaker.  That is a series loop through the speakers. 
  Now, add the power supply.  The white lead is connected to the negative of the left speaker, which is also the positive of the right speaker.  The red lead is connected to the positive of the left speaker, which is the negative of the right speaker. 
  Basically, the speakers are connected in series, but connected to power in parallel, making the speakers out of phase from each other.  So the original question should have been, are the speakers wired in, or out, of phase?
  If they should be out of phase with each other, then it's correct.  If they are supposed to be in phase, then the speaker terminals should be swapped on one of the speakers, making sure that both speaker positives are connected to the positive supply, and both negatives are connected to the negative supply, otherwise, both speakers will be out of phase.

Boy, do I feel dumb.  After all that thinking and writing, i reread the other posts and realized that Sonicboom already said this, with a lot fewer words.   roll

You feel dumb? I feel dumber still, and not due to repeating anyone else, but just myself!  sad

I still have some doubts or / and bad eyes.  I see no white "jumper".   neutral
I can't draw out what I can't make out.  I don't need a drawing, I can do that in my head, but to be SURE, I just would have to actually look at physically and see.  I have gone through THAT enough over many years of many, many, many, many simple to incredibly complex components and /or systems of electronics and electrical feeds to know that what you THINK you (I) see is not what it actually is until you (I) take ALL the time it takes to follow through on your (my) checking something out. I doubt this was manufactured in series, out of phase! So, given the confounding confusion, then I have doubts about how it has been used or even what the intentions were / are.  I could check this out in a few heartbeats with close-in eyes and a voltmeter / ohmmeter /ammeter, and, if needed, (if modded it can become necessary) an oscilloscope (phasing) and / or ear cleaning for critical listening.

Rock ON & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

Still looks parallel to me. The white wire looks like a piece of shielded mic cable with the shield hooked up as a parallel conductor. It also looks like the speakers are out of  phase. If it was series, one of the heavy leads from the amp would be going to a single point on one speaker and the other would be on the other speaker with a single conductor connecting the unterminated points on the speakers.
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

RickB wrote:

Still looks parallel to me. The white wire looks like a piece of shielded mic cable with the shield hooked up as a parallel conductor. It also looks like the speakers are out of  phase. If it was series, one of the heavy leads from the amp would be going to a single point on one speaker and the other would be on the other speaker with a single conductor connecting the unterminated points on the speakers.
Rick

EXACTLY! If done exactly right!

Rock ON & Keep the Anchors Aweighed Faith,
Rocket

“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

23 (edited by Sjmckean 2011-01-14 12:45:51)

RickB wrote:

Rick

Rick, thats right.  That's why I said I felt dumb, because at 1130 at night, I didn't realize that what I had explained in great length, had already been explained in simpler terms previously.  Rocket is just saying he can't tell whether it's in or out of phase from the picture.  My eyes tell me it's out of phase parallel.

Rocket, it may not be the manufactured design.  Someone could have easily removed and replaced incorrectly.  I had an amp years ago that I damaged because the wires came off the speakers and I put the wires back wrong.  Things happen.

2011 Gibson Joe Bonamassa Les Paul Studio Gold Top, 2010 Epi Joe Bonamassa Les Paul Gold Top, 2010 Epi Les Paul Standard '57 Gold Top, 2010 Epi Les Paul Standard Honey Burst (autographed by Joe Bonamassa), 2006 Epi Les Paul Classic Quilt top, 2004 Eric Clapton Strat, 1989 First wife

Sjmckean wrote:
RickB wrote:

Rick

Rick, thats right.  That's why I said I felt dumb, because at 1130 at night, I didn't realize that what I had explained in great length, had already been explained in simpler terms previously.  Rocket is just saying he can't tell whether it's in or out of phase from the picture.  My eyes tell me it's out of phase parallel.

Rocket, it may not be the manufactured design.  Someone could have easily removed and replaced incorrectly.  I had an amp years ago that I damaged because the wires came off the speakers and I put the wires back wrong.  Things happen.

I'm saying I can't tell anything except the left speaker appears to singularly have power connections.   tongue
sjmckean, I know about things going wrong!!!! lol  lol  lol  lol  lol  lol  tongue  tongue  tongue  tongue  tongue  roll I am good at it sometimes...shall we say, daily!

Back to macg1....what amp is / was this??? Or's it home spayed?

Rock ON & Keep the Faith,
Rocket