Re: The Dunlop JBF3 Signature Fuzz Face

So other than the copper casing, how is this different than any other fuzzface?

Amp: Firebird Musical Amplifiers
Guitars:62 LP SG , 02 FB VII, JB FB I, 76 Electra Omega, 64 Firebird V, 73 LPC, 61 Custom Tele, 59 and 60 Melody Maker
Effects: Mythos Chupacabra, Strymon Deco/Flint

macg1 wrote:

Secret Joe Juice? lol

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

RickB wrote:
macg1 wrote:

Secret Joe Juice? lol

ummm... is it secret joe juice from his swollen pickle?  i just grossed myself out.

Amp: Firebird Musical Amplifiers
Guitars:62 LP SG , 02 FB VII, JB FB I, 76 Electra Omega, 64 Firebird V, 73 LPC, 61 Custom Tele, 59 and 60 Melody Maker
Effects: Mythos Chupacabra, Strymon Deco/Flint

macg1 wrote:
RickB wrote:
macg1 wrote:

Secret Joe Juice? lol

ummm... is it secret joe juice from his swollen pickle?  i just grossed myself out.

Pickles and Pork Loins...

Hope you have a good Christmas dinner, guys...

Alright, here we go...

SO, the JB arrived. I know FFs (especially Germanium ones) have alot of that very woofy low end... but this pedal has SO MUCH (with th guitar on 10), that I would say I CAN'T USE IT with my guitar on 10. (vol & fuzz maxed). Is this normal? I'm a FF newbie, so...

I don't have the bass on my amp cranked or anything, and I'm using the bridge pickup of a tele! So too much low end should not be an issue. It is a "hotter" pup... a Rio Grande Muy Grande... could that be the issue?

The pedal cleans right up at 9... but also loses too much of the woofiness, imo. The only other FF-TYPE I have is the Fuzzhead. By comparison, the Fuzzhead doesn't clean up quite as well (still does good tho), but with the fuzz on 10, guitar on 10, there's *just* enuff of that "low-end-sounds-like-the-amp-is-about-to-blowup" thing, but still useable. The JB is just too tubby.

I'm using a 9V because I don't feel like futzing with the PP2, wires pretzeled everywhere. Not sure how fresh/old the 9Vs I'm using are...

Like I said, I'm a newbie, so any knowledge shared on this "too tubby/too much low end" thing would be greatly appreciated. Out of the box, I prefer my Fuzzhead (I have the fuzz cranked, the internal tone at minimum, and the internal gain maxed).

Forgot to mention: my amp is cranked (preamp.) It's only a Genz Benz Black Pearl, so it's basically an AC30. "Cranked" (preamp) doesn't = distortion or anything. It's breaking up for sure, a good rhythm crunch tone, probably similar to a David Grissom tone. I ad dirt pedals on top for MORE dirt. This is also how I use my fuzzes, and the Fuzzhead & Retro-Fuzz both do well when used this way. Is the JB better into a CLEAN amp? Because if so, it might not be the fuzz for me...?

***i then brought out the HB guitar, a PRS Singlecut with DGTs, and played both it & my tele, and came to the following conclusion:***

OK, I think I'm coming to the conclusion the JB isn't... useful...for me. Basically, it cleans up GREAT. Better than my other fuzzes. But most of the cleanup is between 10-9 on the guitar vol. By the time I get down to 9, what's coming out of the amp is pretty close to what amp amp sounds like, STRAIGHT. Meaning while it's a compliment on the cleanup of the JB, there's no fuzz. I can't use it at 10, sounds like blown speakers, and not in a good way. If I have to go down to 9 to make it useable, and 9 sounds like my amp straight, what's the point?

Conversely... my Retro-Fuzz (silicon MkII thing) also cleans up well, but it still sounds like a fuzz is on. The Fuzz head doesn't clean up as well (especially with humbuckers), but again- it still sounds like a fuzz in on while cleaning up. Also, on these 2 fuzzes, I can roll the guitar full up and get a cool, useable, bombastic fuzz sound. Not so with the JB.

The JB's fuzz control seems to not matter much. I just ran them all the way up. Tele & humbuckers (PRS with DGT pups).

If anyone can give me any insight, show me I'm missing something, I'm all ears. Otherwise, I'll exchange it for an Eric Johnson FF.