Re: Joe's LP Pickups

marcgomez71 wrote:

Conner

My LP custom is 3 months old.  I actually have another issue with it (their appears to be something causing it to produce a scratch/pop sound like if there were a lot of static- this actually got worse during a live show.  I love the bridge pickup & tone but overall I am not impressed with this product at all.  For it to be a custom shop piece it is very dissapointing.   I called the store where I bought it -they're going to take a look at it.  Never had this type of issue with Fender or PRS - I guess it's the luck of the draw - but I have not been reading or hearing great things about Gibson lately.  You may be correct regarding newer made guitars from them.

Marc

Before you go crazy swapping out pups ..... from your description it sounds like you may have a bad neck pot. Replace it with a known good one. LP's normally are 500k pots. You may even want to swap it out for a 250. That'll help burn off (actually ground out) the extra output.

Just a suggestion. Hope it helps.

Spider

I'd like to hear how that turned out.

250k in a lespaul!?

I'd upgrade the pots to 1meg (longshaft for LP) or even 2 meg pots (depending on the K of the pickups) from torresengineering's website. I put a 2 meg pot in my 80's Dean ML and that thing acted like it was on steriods.
Torres midrange kits are nice too (and only $3)

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

I know this is slightly off topic being not about a LP, I have a Epiphone Dot it plays gorgeous and is just as fast and comfortable as my US Strat, however as soon as I plug it in and play anything at rehearsal type volume it just turns to mud both bridge and neck PU (neck PU being considerably worse) this unfortunately is stopping me playing it for anything other then unplugged quiet practise or really quiet through the amp (old 90's Blues Deluxe) the Strat sounds amazing I couldnt fault it what so ever. Ive adjusted the pickup heights etc but before I go and spend on new pickups I just wondered what you guys thought? i know i wont get a Strat sound and im not after that smile I just want a nice clean full sound

Cheers for any help

John

JohnTB wrote:

I know this is slightly off topic being not about a LP, I have a Epiphone Dot it plays gorgeous and is just as fast and comfortable as my US Strat, however as soon as I plug it in and play anything at rehearsal type volume it just turns to mud both bridge and neck PU (neck PU being considerably worse) this unfortunately is stopping me playing it for anything other then unplugged quiet practise or really quiet through the amp (old 90's Blues Deluxe) the Strat sounds amazing I couldnt fault it what so ever. Ive adjusted the pickup heights etc but before I go and spend on new pickups I just wondered what you guys thought? i know i wont get a Strat sound and im not after that smile I just want a nice clean full sound

Cheers for any help

John

It sounds like you want to put some brighter pickups in there. It should be pretty easy to find some pickups that'll brighten up your sound.
I'd try some RioGrande - MuyGrande
Or some Seymour Duncan Phat Cat P-90's (humbucker sized)
or Gibson P-94's (humbucker sized)

when not plugged in, if your guitar doesn't resonate well - I wouldn't hold out much hope though.

Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Cheers for the reply, when I buy guitars I play them with out an amp as Ive read about on here today, If it sounds dull unplugged then there isnt much chance it will sound nice plugged smile and thats somet I totally agree with, that and salesmen always put u in the nicest sounding amps to drive a sale wink

So yes the guitar sounds nice unplugged and resonates well, I havent much experience with Humbuckers being predominately a strat player, but if I can contrast what im after? a pal who plays in the same band has a Gibson es-335 (I think there both pretty much identical apart from the plugged sound) he gets a wonderful sparkly sound which doesnt turn to mud at higher volumes thats the sort of sound im after.

Ill keep the P-90's in mind but any suggestions from any1 else would be cool, btw I predominately play blues / Adam Levy stuff (with Norah Jones) he gets such a sweet sound.

JohnTB wrote:

Cheers for the reply, when I buy guitars I play them with out an amp as Ive read about on here today, If it sounds dull unplugged then there isnt much chance it will sound nice plugged smile and thats somet I totally agree with, that and salesmen always put u in the nicest sounding amps to drive a sale wink

So yes the guitar sounds nice unplugged and resonates well, I havent much experience with Humbuckers being predominately a strat player, but if I can contrast what im after? a pal who plays in the same band has a Gibson es-335 (I think there both pretty much identical apart from the plugged sound) he gets a wonderful sparkly sound which doesnt turn to mud at higher volumes thats the sort of sound im after.

Ill keep the P-90's in mind but any suggestions from any1 else would be cool, btw I predominately play blues / Adam Levy stuff (with Norah Jones) he gets such a sweet sound.

seymour duncan has a tone chart that can show you what you're looking for and how the pickups will sound.  Its a great reference tool.

After I pick out pickups I like, I check the pickup reviews at www.harmony-central.com
there's millions of em. you might even find a pickup review where they put the pickups into your model guitar.

good luck!