Re: Anyone care about nitro?

Jimi_lp wrote:

PEOPLE! You CAN polish a turd!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rax27_ZIVM

But you can't make a crap guitar sound good by changing the finish! haha

Also, I removed the finish on my mexican strat...counted at least 9 pieces of wood making up that body! It's insane!

HAHA! Sweet!

Amp: Firebird Musical Amplifiers
Guitars:62 LP SG , 02 FB VII, JB FB I, 76 Electra Omega, 64 Firebird V, 73 LPC, 61 Custom Tele, 59 and 60 Melody Maker
Effects: Mythos Chupacabra, Strymon Deco/Flint

The whole debate about nitro is a long and has passionate people on both side.  Here is my take.  You have to take it on a guitar by guitar basis.  I have played some absolutely stunning reissues and Les Paul Standards and some dreadful thin sounding real 59 Les Pauls.  Which then by all accounts you go.. Now Im really confused.  There are good and bad guitars of all shapes and sizes.  They are not all the same.. I definately  would not advocate taking a guitar you are happy with and sanding it down.  Then your stuck in a bind and out a fair amount of money.  There are guys who redo reissues and do a fantastic job in doing so. But not all of them sound great either.  The bond between a guitar and its owner is a special one.  Its all getting a bit scientific these days. Thats cool but I like the myth behind it.. Happy Holidays.!!! 
Joe B ( freezing in Florida!!!! )

I do like that you're honest about there being bad sounding 59 les pauls. Many people would not say that, even if they thought it (though I'm sure many would talk themselves out of thinking it too, and talk themselves into believing that is what a good les paul sounds like)
I have considered many times to refinish my les paul but I have avoiding doing so for several years because well...it costs a lot, and it might not be the same.
I almost never play anything else, so yes...I have a good bond with my les paul. That I am happy about smile

*slightly off topic*
I liked how Peter Green said that famous LP was a bit of a dog and the neck was horrible for him...he said there were so many better.

At a certain time, if a particular guitar works for you...go with it. If you like it, TGP doesn't have to agree with you.

Jimi_lp wrote:

I do like that you're honest about there being bad sounding 59 les pauls. Many people would not say that, even if they thought it (though I'm sure many would talk themselves out of thinking it too, and talk themselves into believing that is what a good les paul sounds like)
I have considered many times to refinish my les paul but I have avoiding doing so for several years because well...it costs a lot, and it might not be the same.
I almost never play anything else, so yes...I have a good bond with my les paul. That I am happy about smile

That also applies to the Norlin year LP's.  So many people talk badly about them, but in all honesty only something like 1900 LP's were made in 1959... I am pretty sure Norlin was pumping out 1900 LP Standards per year.  Of course you will find bad ones in all bunches.  Again, it starts with the wood, then whatever else goes on top of it, and how it is put together, and those elements interact.

Amp: Firebird Musical Amplifiers
Guitars:62 LP SG , 02 FB VII, JB FB I, 76 Electra Omega, 64 Firebird V, 73 LPC, 61 Custom Tele, 59 and 60 Melody Maker
Effects: Mythos Chupacabra, Strymon Deco/Flint

DaveWammbarro wrote:

*slightly off topic*
I liked how Peter Green said that famous LP was a bit of a dog and the neck was horrible for him...he said there were so many better.

At a certain time, if a particular guitar works for you...go with it. If you like it, TGP doesn't have to agree with you.

Yes, he really struggled getting that thing to sound decent! No wonder his playing was so terrible!  wink

If you guys want to see some serious views into instrument coatings, look up the varnish research into Stradivari's and Guarneri's violins sometime.  lol Still debated after hundreds of years, and still unequaled. Each unique with a very different voice and never duplicated.
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381