Topic: Finger Callous from playing Guitar question?

Anyone have a great solution for taking care of your callouses on the fingertips? I have all kinds of problems with them. If I take a shower they get soft and when I play they get all tore up and if I keep it dry they sometimes get too hard and start to crack causing my fingers to snag on the guitar strings. Anyone else have this dreadful problem? LOL! Ive heard other guitar players say they use a rubber glove when taking a shower.

Rob

All my tears they fell like rain, cant you hear them falling?
Led Zeppelin: Since I been Loving You

Re: Finger Callous from playing Guitar question?

I actually have never had a problem with callouses- I've heard stories, but never experienced any problems myself... maybe I'm just weird... idk

"Interestingly, according to modern astronomers, space is finite. This is a very comforting thought-- particularly for people who can never remember where they have left things." - Woody Allen

http://www.last.fm/user/skynyrd128

LOL KWS!!

Play after you shower, when your hands are soft and moist. Don't beat on your fingers, but don't be afraid either.
Those callouses that that washed off was the old skin coming off so the stronger skin can surface. I have baby fingers because I work at a computer all day. Guitar players that are construction works, etc probably don't have our problem (rougher hands).

My guess is, if you play everyday for at least an hour, your fingertips will get hard enough where they won't wash off in the shower. The only time that really happens to me is if I havent played in a couple weeks and then a couple days after I start playing again, they wash off. The way I think of it is kind of like lifting weights, you gotta keep your fingertips in strong "shape."

or maybe that's just my twisted logic.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

sometimes my calouses give me problems,  as soon as my figners start to hurt i put down the guitar, and the next day theyve grown over again.  one thing to think about is maybe switching to a lower string gauge.  i relaly dont know what else to tell you.  some people will say to use liquid bandage, but that actually makes you lose tolerance and youle have to use it everytime you play eventually.  i guess it is like lifting weights.  try not pushing so hard when you bend,  instead just focus more of your strength on lifting the string up, instead of pushing down,  watch guys like stevie ray and hendrix bend, youle know what i mean. 
hope this helps.
Peace,
Conner

Fender '62 reissue Stratocaster, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio(Stock), Marshall JCM900 100W Head, Original 1972 Carvin 4/12 Cabinet,Ibanez Ts9 Reissue, Keeley Compressor, Boss DD-3 Delay, Vox Wah

I remember hearing SRV used to super glue his callouses back on. big_smile

Hey all, thanks for your comments! I guess what Im getting at is, is there a good way to treat or condition your fingers? Keep them in callouses in shape? You know, kind of how woman take care of there Polmolive hands? LOL!!! I usually play for more than an hour a day but they usually start to crack and split and like I said, they actually snag on my strings. I didnt know if this was a problem with other players. Just for the record, I am no professional!

Rob

you can try coating your fingertips with superglue before you play to... give that a try.

I found using more than one finger to bend strings helps out a lot.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

9 (edited by gsj 2007-02-07 20:04:08)

Yeah, but let the glue dry before you play wink. Two finger bends????...whatever next smile Seriously...just keep playing and let your fingers toughen up.

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

you can try coating your fingertips with superglue before you play to... give that a try.

I found using more than one finger to bend strings helps out a lot.

never give up, never slow down
never grow old, never ever die young

10 (edited by Demonsterastratofixation 2007-02-08 16:41:17)

A pumice stone and/or emory board (differing degrees oif coarse/fine) and Oil of Olay for the entire hand......

Cold cream is ok too and cheaper than Oil of Olay
Oh yeah and avoid Finger Ease unless the strings are kinda funked or you actually need it

This is the first Winter in almost 20 years that I haven't had problems with my callouses!  Because I teach, I average about two to three hours a day playing guitar.  I swear by Suave - Advanced Therapy moisturizer.  You can find it by the hand lotion and it is under $3 a bottle.  Use this on your hands before you go to bed and when you get out of the shower.  Works for me!

"There is nothing to it.  You only have to hit the right notes at the right time and the instrument plays itself."---Johann Sebastian Bach

Thanks everyone! Especially the last two posts! This is acyually the answers I was looking for. Some kind of treatment. The emory board sounds like a great idea. I will definetly try that and Fretwork, Ill try the Sauve! The other day I had a big ole divot in my finger from the chunk of dried skin that ripped off. It kept snagging up on the strings! LOL!

Rob