Topic: MOODY Guitar Straps

I know a strap is a strap is a strap..for the most part.  Are these Moody straps worth the $120-$130+ price tag?  I've been thinking of picking up a nice strap, and these sure look classy.  I'm not opposed to paying a little bit more for a strap, but are they all they're cracked up to be??  I've always used the Dimarzio clip lock straps.  I like them a lot, but the Les Paul is no match for them.  Thinking something more sturdy.  Whats the word on these Moody products?

Re: MOODY Guitar Straps

the wider the strap, the more weight distribution. I got some wider ones for my Explorer and LP... but for the most part I like the straight up run of the mill ErnieBall straps. Clapton and Joe use them, and I've had mine since the early 90's. I think they still sell the same ones and are like $5 a piece.

You comments on Moody is valid. Do you spend $5 on a wallet? Or do you 'pop' for the Coach brand wallet that's $130? Same thing. It's brand name, and who knows, maybe the cow was treated nicer? just kidding.

I think nicer leather is "nicer" it might have a nice smell or whatever, might grip nice on your shoulder. but if that's not a big deal - I don't see the value... but if you have the money and you like it, then why not get it?

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

the wider the strap, the more weight distribution. I got some wider ones for my Explorer and LP... but for the most part I like the straight up run of the mill ErnieBall straps. Clapton and Joe use them, and I've had mine since the early 90's. I think they still sell the same ones and are like $5 a piece.

You comments on Moody is valid. Do you spend $5 on a wallet? Or do you 'pop' for the Coach brand wallet that's $130? Same thing. It's brand name, and who knows, maybe the cow was treated nicer? just kidding.

I think nicer leather is "nicer" it might have a nice smell or whatever, might grip nice on your shoulder. but if that's not a big deal - I don't see the value... but if you have the money and you like it, then why not get it?

Thats kinda what I figured..it's like a Coach purse that does the same thing as one off of the shelf at JC Penny!..but you buy the Coach  just because.  I have an Ernie Ball cotton strap, they are really decent for 5 or 6 bucks.  I do like the new Ernie Ball leather straps like the Bonamassa sig model strap, but they don't have just a straight leather one.  The closest thing has 3 rows of studs on it completely ruining it in my opinion.

The Moody ones seem (at least from the pictures) to have a much nicer leather than others being offered, and I do want it to look nice, looks are important too!  Thanks for your comments, I'm still undecided, but if I can't find a strap comparable in style and leather quality I'm gonna buy the fancy one and be done with it.  I only have 1 Les Paul and you only live once! -S.

White Ernie Ball straps. I have a thing for white, think it looks cool.

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

My ReverbNation page for Dees & Friends - check us out!
www.reverbnation.com/deesfriends

Deezer wrote:

White Ernie Ball straps. I have a thing for white, think it looks cool.

I have a couple white Dimarzio clip locks.. I'm kinda partial to white too.  -S.

I first saw Moody straps at The Dallas Guitar show I bought one for my son because the color matched his PRS and I liked the name wink They were only about $75 bucks back then. When Joe started using them I bought another for myself. They are nice straps. Don't think I would of paid $130 for it though.

Can't think of any reason to pay that kind of money for a strap unless you have more than you know what to do with.

As a (relatively local) alternative, I met a guy at a blues jam who makes custom straps in Mechanicsburg, PA.  His name is Bob Schell and his website is www.brookwoodleather.com.  He's also a pretty good guitarist and singer.   I don't remember the prices, I assume they're comparable, but you could custom-design one (or more) to your liking.

I have some regular leather straps, I don't even remember where I got them but they work fine for me.

CarljMD

Takers get the honey, givers sing the blues

CarljMD wrote:

Can't think of any reason to pay that kind of money for a strap unless you have more than you know what to do with.

As a (relatively local) alternative, I met a guy at a blues jam who makes custom straps in Mechanicsburg, PA.  His name is Bob Schell and his website is www.brookwoodleather.com.  He's also a pretty good guitarist and singer.   I don't remember the prices, I assume they're comparable, but you could custom-design one (or more) to your liking.

I have some regular leather straps, I don't even remember where I got them but they work fine for me.

CarljMD

Thanks, I will check out the site.  Mechanicsburg is less than 15 mins up the road.  Maybe he can do one in the same shape/cut/thickness minus the $130 price tag.  -Seth

helrazr84 wrote:
CarljMD wrote:

CarljMD

Thanks, I will check out the site.  Mechanicsburg is less than 15 mins up the road.  Maybe he can do one in the same shape/cut/thickness minus the $130 price tag.  -Seth

I don't play, but I live right by Mechanicsburg (Rt 114 & Wertzville Rd vicinity, w/ an Enola address), so I checked out that site out of curiosity.  There IS a pricing page there... I'd say not for the bargain-hunter.  But it does look like extremely nice work.

--Vik cool

TieDyeVikki wrote:
helrazr84 wrote:
CarljMD wrote:

CarljMD

I don't play, but I live right by Mechanicsburg (Rt 114 & Wertzville Rd vicinity, w/ an Enola address), so I checked out that site out of curiosity.  There IS a pricing page there... I'd say not for the bargain-hunter.  But it does look like extremely nice work.

--Vik cool

I live in Manchester, PA.  I emailed the guy, he got right back to me.  I didn't however see the pricing page until now and you're right, no bargains but I'm sure they are worth the price.  He does some beautiful work.  -Seth

I found a Levi extra wide for 20...it beats straps from 20-200...it's just superb. Never anything else for the LP.