Topic: Cleveland House of Blues

Good morning everyone!
I have to a agree with everyone's posts about Joe's show on Sat. night. It was by far the best setlist Joe has put together. The keyboards added SO MUCH to Joe's sound, especially on So Many Roads, Starship Trooper, and Asking Around for You. The band's vibe and look was very professional and they simply looked like they were really having fun.
I do have to say that the house sound was a little dissapointing. We had General Admission tix. It alwys seems like no matter how much I want to see Joe play front-row-up-close-and-personal, I always convince myself that it will sound BETTER in the middle-back of the venue. Havn't been wrong until Saturday night. Having seen Joe dozens of times, this was the only time that the sound was so low, it was hard hitting a groove with the band. As a matter of fact, it sounded like I put a CD of the show in my home stereo. It was so low, in fact, that i could see people having full-out coversations with each other, as well as people checking voice-mails and understanding them. And I wasn't in the nosebleeds or anyhing. I was a coulple of rows back standing ground-level, dead center. It just didn't feel like a concert. It kind of made me wish that the show was at beachland ballroom instead. Not problems getting it loud enough there!
I will say that it really meant something to Joe to play at a nice large-capacity venue like that. It really should mean a lot to us to see Joe filling a 1,000 seat room.

Im I crazy, or did anyone else notice the lack of volume?

Johnnyg

"I have wondered at times what the Ten Commandments would have looked like if Moses had run them through the US Congress."
-Ronald Regan-

Re: Cleveland House of Blues

Kind of curious if other shows at the House of Blues (Cleveland) seem subdued also???

The volume did not seem too low to me from right up front.  However, it's usually so loud that close that I have to wear earplugs; I didn't have to this show, though, and did not end up with ringing ears.  If it seemed just right up close, perhaps it would not seem to have adequately reached around the room.  I've only been to 2 other shows there, and the volume level was similar, I think.  My next show there will be Buddy Guy in April, so I wonder how the volume will be then.

"The Blues is like a tonic for all that ails you."  BB King

Rock ON & Keep the Faith!

I feel the same way, Melissa. I remember seeing Joe @ the cellar in Youngstown. I was front row left side (joe's amps) and I was ringing for 2 days!!!

On Saturday, I just remember telling my father-in-law "man, this song REALLY KICKS!, too bad it isn't loud enough to get into!"

Oh, well. I think that Joe is such a great talent that if everything supporting his sound isn't up to par, it isn't doing his shows justice!

Johnnyg

"I have wondered at times what the Ten Commandments would have looked like if Moses had run them through the US Congress."
-Ronald Regan-

After reading many of the comments here, I felt I should toss my two cents in. The show was a little on the low side but that really didnt bother me too much. It could have been a little more booming but no big deal. I do want to comment on this venue though. The House of Blues I thought sucked. I mean it sucked seating wise. Unless you were one of the lucky ones to get a seat, it would have been fine. I along with two other couples drove from Michigan wich was about a 3 1/2 hour trip arrived in Cleveland around noon or as little later. I loved Cleveland! Would like to spend more time there. We went to the HOB and ate lunch and they signed our checks and said we could get in earlier but nobody bothered to tell us where to go in at. We came back later to a fully crowded resturaunt that had an hour wait and we did not want to wait that long because we wanted to get in loine and try to get a decent view of the show. We stood in line for about 45 minutes only to find out that the dinner reciept that gets you in the front of the line was at a different door!!!!! So, by the time we got into the venue everything was gone! I didnt realize that there were all these seats that were reserved as did the party I was with. It was like getting standing room only tickets to a Red Wing Game and watching the tops of the players heads skating around.. I guess I was suppose to feel privaleged for just getting in the same room Joe was at?? My Son and I finally left about half way through the show because he was so tired of standing in one place for so long and I felt sorry for him so I relieved him by going back to the hotel. So, my Son never got to meet Joe. This HOB was like a big mystery. You couldnt see the inside until it opened or nothing. We all showed up early to get in line early to get a decent seat or standing place. Usually when you do this your reward is a better viewing area. Not that night.
I never even met anyone from the Joe board either and that was one big reason I wanted to go so bad. I see all these people on Joes board posting but never met one person! Definetely a weird weekend. Personally I will never go back to the Cleveland HOB again. Management did a pisspore job with the seating arangements. I guess if your from that area you have no problem with the venue because you are allready aquainted with it but me and the others that came with me all pretty much felt the same. We had no idea what seating was like there. If I would have known that it was like this, I would have just showed up at 8:30pm. My Son would have been able to endure the standing and he could have met Joe. Very bad communication for sure.
I will say that Joe did a fantastic job on Dazed and Confused and So Many Roads! It would have been dynamite if I was not to ticked.
Well, thats just my two cents. People in the Cleveland area and Ohio, please dont take offense. I loved your town but just wanted to get this off my chest.

Rob

All my tears they fell like rain, cant you hear them falling?
Led Zeppelin: Since I been Loving You

I was really upset when I got there that my groups general admission tickets that had 4 consecutive seat numbers didn't get us a seat at all. HOB guy told me that the computer just puts those seat numbers on there to fill the space. If I had known that, I would have got there an hour early for a better standing spot. Joe's website said 9:00 and ticketmaster said show started at 8:00. Well, I got there at 8:15 to find that Joe himself was about ready to start. What a freakin' bummer. I hear ya Rob. Then to top it off, it sounded like I was at home listening to my stereo.

Again---these are things that Joe has no control over, and I'm sure frustrates him as well. Joe certainly played his best show ever with Rick on keyboards.

The whole build up for the HOB was a real let-down.

We'll try next time!

Johnnyg

-Ronald Regan-

Hey guys...I've got to agree with some of your comments about the set up at the Cleveland HOB...And I want to go on record as never having said a negative word on this board before...We had dinner at the HOB which was just fine...We got into the venue at about 7:15...We were very surprised at the seating arrangements...or should I sat standing arrangements...We stood in the center right behind the sound technicians...It made for a long stand for the group of 20 I was with...The sound was medium at best...I heard comments all around me asking them to crank it up...It was easier to hear the conversations around me than it was to hear Joe and the band...I think it had to do with the low ceilings above the standing room area...Oh well, congrads to Joe for selling out a big venue...I know that there were many folks seeing Joe for the first time...I enjoyed the show because I've seen it many times before...Joe, Bogie, Mark and Rick gave it the usual 150%...I hope that the first timers appreciated it over the many distractions...

The Other Joe B.

It's a new dawn, it's a new day, it's a new life for me...and, I'm feelin good

Hey, my wife and I came from Burton, MI to Cleveland to see joe for the first time . We had 2nd row reserved seats and it was great. Everything I expected and more. I thought the volume was good, it was nice to not have my ears ringing the next day. I also really enjoyed the HOB. We arrived for dinner at 4pm. The food and service was good, then afterward we hung out in the other bar area and had a few until the show. We had a great time and would go back again. Only maybe during warmer weather.

Out of the dozens of JBB shows ive seen ,this was by far the biggest dissapointment.
In the middle of the standing area the incessant crowd chatter was about equal in volume
to the bands louder songs and considerable louder than his accoustic numbers. Partially a combination of too low volume and dozens upon dozens of people who should stay at home if they feel the need to carry on non stop conversations at the expense of others who actually think listening to the band is the reason for being there.

I have complained before about venues in Cleveland.  The Beachland Ballroom, where Joe used to play, was not bad when seeing Joe because there were maybe 20 rows of folding chairs.  Other acts had no seating at all.  I took my family to see the James gang there and my son could not see anything - so we left feeling like we wasted our money.

The HOB has been the same for other acts - general admission is all standing room only.  If you're a kid or a short adult, you do not get to see the show.  If you like paying to see the back of someone's head, then you'll do well.  I took friends to see Buddy Guy last year at the HOB, and one friend is a short dude.  He didn't get to see the show except for seeing it on a little TV. 

For some reason, Cleveland does not know how to design a club where everyone can see.  There are enough old, abandoned theatres in the area and any one of them would provide a more enjoyable experience for everyone than any other club I've been to.  In fact, SRV's first tour brought him to Cleveland and that venue took place in a theatre.  I was lucky enough to be there and every seat was a good seat.

For this reason, I spring for reserved seating at the HOB, or I don't go at all.  I was in the balcony for Joe, and thought it was a great show - plenty loud up there.

Craig's Guitar Tech Resource - free information online.
Guitar Repair and Customization in Northeast Ohio since 1979.

http://www.guitartechcraig.com

11 (edited by zosozep7 2007-02-06 17:04:02)

Craig, great post! I think the Cleveland HOB is a nice place but just set up poorly. It definetly would not be bad if you had a reserved seat. I know I said I would never go back but if I had a reserved seat I would definetly think about it. Like I said, I really enjoyed Cleveland. The reason for my posting yesterday was to alert other people what kind of venue this is. If you have General Admission, you had better know the ins and outs of the place if you want to get a decent spot for the show, otherwise forget it and if you are taking a child for the show with GA, I wouldnt recommend it!. I really didnt know that all the reserved seating takes up about half or more of the venue. If your stuck in the back, unless your a diehard fan, its horrible. For anyone that is going anytime soon and is not familliar with the place and you have General admission, eat at the HOB resturaunt earlier in the day and have the waiter or waitress sign your reciept. Then show up a little before the doors open and there is a side door that can be accesssed from inside the resturaunt that will let you get in early!!!! Make sure you ask where because they never told us at all. We just assumed it was where everyone else goes in at. Hope this info helps someone!
Craig, its funny that your talked about SRV playing in a theater. I seen him my first time in a theater and it was awesome. A theater has sloped floors so everyone can see.
Joe Bonamassa, I did enjoy what I seen of your show. The addition of the keyboeardist was a great idea! Hope you cincider it in more of your future shows. I noticed your one step closer to pulling out that bow harp on Dazed and Confused as your version was really good.

Rob

Just to clarify, reserved seating at the HOB Cleveland is limited to the balcony.  Everything else is GA.  i understand there were seats on the floor for Joe's show.  Not typical for the HOB, but still GA.  I have to give credit to Joe for that - usually it's stand and cram like sardines.  I think Joe's fully aware of this and likes it when people can actually see the show.

And, yes, the show was great.  The keyboard player was a great way to fill in the gaps.  A++++++ to Joe and his band.  I bought tickets for a group and some have seen Joe more times than I (not by much) and others were first-timers.  A great time was had by all.  On the way home (I was a designated driver) I was told by a first-times that I have excellent taste in bands.  Yes, I do.

Craig, the seats on the floor were not GA. Not that Im aware of anyways or I would have been up close but there were many others there that would have claimed them first before us anyways. I also had heard that the upper level was reserved when we were there for most of the shows. Ill be more aware the next time of whats going on.

Rob

Really?  Hmm.  When I bought tickets, I don't remember any options other than balcony.  Guess I missed something.

While I am a huge Joe B. fan; I must admit that I did not go to the House of Blues (or should I say "House of Rules!!!!!!!" Cleveland show because in my humble opinion the venue  really sucks!!!! Besides the sound being really REALLY bad ; the staff and bartenders are very rude !!! I have been there probably 6-7 times for everything from blues, reggae, dancehall reggae , rock and never has the sound been good!!!! Or even closely remote to being good!! I think that it is the design of the venue!!! The only decent sound is on the dance floor right in the middle!!!! If you go further back on the sides off of the main floor the sound is really muffled - it must be because the upper balcony hangs down so low that it blocks most of the sound from the rest of the room!!!! Most of the staff are extremely rude and they usher you out usually A.S.A.P. (or should I say "herd you out like a herd of cows")  Do yourself a favor and drive to a distant venue (Like Pierre's in Ft. Wayne) if you want to see Joe B.     Again this is meant as no disrespect to Joe B.; but it is pure reality of how much the Cleveland House of Blues ( or House of Rules, House of Screws, House of Fools etc. etc.) really sucks wang!!!!!   Rock on Joe!!!!! I'll see you in Any(I mean ANY) other venue than HOB in Cleveland.  Do yourself a favor and avoid this venue at all costs!!!!!

I gotta chime in here...you can get poor sound and rude employees in lots of places.  Not making excuses for the HOB, but it's definitely not limited to the HOB.  My experiences there have not been as bad as yours.  Sorry they treat you like garbage.  But, I gotta ask, if it's been that crummy, why have you gone back 6 - 7 times?

CraigJC wrote:

I gotta chime in here...you can get poor sound and rude employees in lots of places.  Not making excuses for the HOB, but it's definitely not limited to the HOB.  My experiences there have not been as bad as yours.  Sorry they treat you like garbage.  But, I gotta ask, if it's been that crummy, why have you gone back 6 - 7 times?

......just to make sure...???

That's my guess and attempt at humor for the day.

PC

“A friend is someone that will help you move............a TRUE friend will help you move the bodies." -- anon

18 (edited by DannyBoy 2007-02-07 19:53:06)

The sound and set up sucked bad. Joe played great but we just coudn't hear it. I brought 16 people to the show and we had GA seats. By the way, we were the second group of people in and the floor seats were 100% reserved - no GA ticket holders allowed.

5 of the newbies I brought were not impressed at all because they could hardly hear a thing. One of them said the show sucked and he is pissed that he spent over $200 for him and his wife - tickets, dinner, and drinks all at the HOB.

I have seen Joe at least 4 times at the Beachland and I wish he'd go back OR go somewhere else like the Odeon. Very disappointed.