Re: You Tube Stars..

I have the most basic setup ever but it sounds great to me!  Fender Blues Jr. with Jensen speaker (that I turn around backwards.  I built a plexiglass shield and it broke after a 4 gig 1 weekend bout...I play tiny bars by myself to backing tracks with an old retired pro sax player....yes I know it is not impressive but it works for now).  I have an Epiphone LP that I have jammed on for 11-12 years (50's wiring PIO caps etc., SD 59 and SD Jeff Beck pups, just got frets re-done...what was left of them).  I also have an Epiphone Sheraton that I just picked up a year ago and put a Bigsby and Gibson 57s pups with the same wiring treatment.  I have a DD3 which I don't use loads, a Boss Blues Driver, and I just got a ZenDrive II which I will try out for the first time this weekend.  I think more of our great tone is going to come from using the knobs on your guitar much more than most might.  Joe is great at it and so is Gary Moore.  I am a 26 year old lefty and love to hear all about your guys gigs and gear.  By the way....My plexiglass "shield" met its demise at my 5 hour Hispanic Flee market gig.  It was one rowdy joint but great!  Awesome crowd!!!!  I need a drummer bad!  It seems like that is a trend that is going around.  I will try to post a video or at least recording soon.  Rock on everyone!!!!

One more thing.....At some point in my life I want to play loud!!!!!!!!!  I am jealous of most of you all

39 (edited by Sonicboom 2010-12-01 23:15:31)

alexanderwhitley wrote:

One more thing.....At some point in my life I want to play loud!!!!!!!!!  I am jealous of most of you all

Loud is all a matter of perspective.  A Super Lead on 2 in a 10x10 room is F-ing loud.  Go for it.   big_smile

Guitars: '79 LP Custom, '01 Dickey Betts Goldie - 80 of 114, '00 Chandler Lectraslide
Amps: '00 Marshall 1987x, '70 Marshall 1959 SL, 4x12 JBL D120s
'64 Vibroverb - JBL D130, '66 Super Reverb - CTS Alnicos
'77 Peavey Deuce (great for melting stubborn ear wax)

Partial2Marshall...What?  Are you playing with Spinal Tap now?  Are the drummers spontainously combusting and turning into little green globules?? lol

DannyG wrote:

Partial2Marshall...What?  Are you playing with Spinal Tap now?  Are the drummers spontainously combusting and turning into little green globules?? lol

SonicBoom- You are so right.  I think I mean that I want to play in front of a ton of people on a big stage some day.  I have jammed with Jim Peterik (Ides of March, Survivor, 38 Special's songwriter)and am friends with his wife and can't wait until he invites me onstage....I am too big of a girl to ask him.
I think that Ceriatone amp kits are a great idea.  How does everyone feel about them?  If I wanted a boutique amo I think I would just get one of their reproductions and build it myself

alexanderwhitley wrote:
DannyG wrote:

SonicBoom- You are so right.  I think I mean that I want to play in front of a ton of people on a big stage some day.  I have jammed with Jim Peterik (Ides of March, Survivor, 38 Special's songwriter)and am friends with his wife and can't wait until he invites me onstage....I am too big of a girl to ask him.
I think that Ceriatone amp kits are a great idea.  How does everyone feel about them?  If I wanted a boutique amo I think I would just get one of their reproductions and build it myself

I knew what you meant, and I'm right there with you.  I'm afraid, for me though, it would just be an opportunity to embarrass myself in front of a lot of people - at least, that's what I keep telling myself.   lol

Guitars: '79 LP Custom, '01 Dickey Betts Goldie - 80 of 114, '00 Chandler Lectraslide
Amps: '00 Marshall 1987x, '70 Marshall 1959 SL, 4x12 JBL D120s
'64 Vibroverb - JBL D130, '66 Super Reverb - CTS Alnicos
'77 Peavey Deuce (great for melting stubborn ear wax)

DannyG wrote:

We have made that comparison too  big_smile  There was a bizarre gardening accident and a vomit choking incident (not sure whose vomit it was).

Where the hell does one get a black-backed gold top anyway?

Sonicboom wrote:

Loud is all a matter of perspective.  A Super Lead on 2 in a 10x10 room is F-ing loud.  Go for it.   big_smile

Amen to that!

45 (edited by Carol-Ann_Amps 2010-12-21 13:17:35)

In this vid a Carol-Ann OD2 50W 6L6 and a Carol-Ann Tucana 75W Combo being used by myself and my band mate Johnny.

Every one of these amps gets gigged at a live show after being built. Not passed QC until it's done a live show with me....then I can only hope they will do more. Many will probably live in an air conditioned music room being played after the honey to do list has been done and before the kids go to bed,  but thats life for many people and as long as they enjoy them I'm happy........However, I know plenty that still do get to do what I designed them for..a hard life on the road......

Every one of Joes CA's and his Jub have also played with this band........
Apologies to the memory of one of my all time favourite players ever to exist, I kind of botched the latter part of one of his most famous solos. Sorry Paul.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2tNh8xnPZM

Hi Joe
Do you still use the Carol Ann how is it holding up? Is this for a bright clean tone? Also how would one go about obtaining a twinkleland? I can not seem to find them anywhere.
Thanks Ron C.

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Sorry..  This is the second time I ve tried this..  I was just up like all gear heads watching You-Tube video of boutique amps..  I noticed something troubling..  None of these so called amp " experts" actually used the amps on show days.  They were all in hotel rooms  ( aka amp shows) basements, studios, ect..  So I was thinking.. does anybody actually use these 5k plus amps on gigs?    I figured because Bonamassa gear freaks are way cooler than the gear page nay sayers I would start a thread for people posting photos, videos of your gear on a gig night.  That honestly is the only way to judge your equipment.. It doesn't have to be played at the enormo -dome or your local hockey arena.  just on a gig.. pub, club bbq, wedding, or soccer club.. anything goes.. just you all  playing live music.. 
Thanks.. Looking forward to your responses...
Joe B...  cool

"Joe B saved my soul, forever grateful Ron"
"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

47 (edited by Carol-Ann_Amps 2010-12-22 06:59:23)

cindyron wrote:

Hi Joe
Do you still use the Carol Ann how is it holding up? Is this for a bright clean tone? Also how would one go about obtaining a twinkleland? I can not seem to find them anywhere.
Thanks Ron C.

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Sorry..  This is the second time I ve tried this..  I was just up like all gear heads watching You-Tube video of boutique amps..  I noticed something troubling..  None of these so called amp " experts" actually used the amps on show days.  They were all in hotel rooms  ( aka amp shows) basements, studios, ect..  So I was thinking.. does anybody actually use these 5k plus amps on gigs?    I figured because Bonamassa gear freaks are way cooler than the gear page nay sayers I would start a thread for people posting photos, videos of your gear on a gig night.  That honestly is the only way to judge your equipment.. It doesn't have to be played at the enormo -dome or your local hockey arena.  just on a gig.. pub, club bbq, wedding, or soccer club.. anything goes.. just you all  playing live music.. 
Thanks.. Looking forward to your responses...
Joe B...  cool

If Joe doesn't get to answer this, I can answer it from a practical angle. He owns 5 100W CA's, an EL34 Head (the 'Stop' solo amp), 3 6L6 Heads and a 100W EL34 1x12 combo. He also has another 100W head and matching 1x12 cab on order (in velvet....don't ask...!!) They are still used mainly on his US rigs, though occasionaly one shows up in Europe. As of 3 weeks ago when I met him after I serviced one of his Jubilees the blue 6L6 was in the rig.
As for holding up. None have failed, I just supply a set of tubes a year for each and the blue one was certainly sounding great 3 weeks ago. The original No.1 (used on the RAH gig) is in retirement now as the circuit of the later models was changed and we felt this one had undergone enough modifications that it was best just to replace it, though it still works totally fine. Like anything, there's only a number of times you can modify something before it becomes messy. No.1 went through it's maximum numbers of modifications and became essentially the prototype for the rest.
As for their uses, Joe changes his rig around a fair bit and different amps can serve different functions. The 6L6 versions are a very efficient amp with a tremendous amount of power and headroom and clean up with guitars volume control really well. Joe basically runs them with the mid boost on. They are run into full on power tube overdrive with a decent amount of gain when the guitars volume is on full, but will get cleaner as you roll back the volume without getting muddy. So they can be used for clean, rock rhythm and lead depending on how he feels and the positions of his guitars controls. If you watch Joe play, you will see him get a tremendous amount of use of his guitars controls.......something that is totally overlooked by many plyers. A good amp with great cynamic range reponds to that very well.
I'm sure the acoustics of different halls also dictate the use of the different amps on any given night for a given task...also Joes tastes and inspiration at any given moment will play in to it at any show. All the amp combinations do feel very different.
As for the VW...contact Peter directly. I know he doesn't build an awful lot of amps, his business is more in the repair / restoration side of things.......Joe owns nearly all the VW's in the US. Peter is a great guy and I'm sure will give you all the answers you need.
Hope this helps and hopefully Joe may interject himself.

48 (edited by jc 2011-03-30 16:51:52)

got an old friend who plays really well...he and an associate had an amp built  few yrs back...now he is working on it on his own...and it is close to being done...running about 30 watts...diff than any amp design out there...warm tones, not harsh, cranks up with tube overdrive nicely  then cleans up well also....would love to have you (joe )try it sometime when your in western ma. for now that is where it is...but it will be heading to cal sometime this summer  i had some  vids posted but the amp owner  didnt want them out yet...he says he wants to wait till he likes the tone..so i removed them from utube...if some pros are interested in hearing this new amp design..then we can redo another video...just email me and let me know...  ...ps Joe, thanks for autographing my lp in northampton after the show....

mojotone jtm45, 1966 vibrolux reverb and 1966deluxe reverb, blues deluxe tweed ri, traynor YCV50b, Traynor YBA-1a head, Marshall Code 50 in a 1-12 Bluesbreaker cab,2010 Gibson LP Std, Vintage V100GTand V100Hb, 2010 Edwards ESP E-lp , 09 mim Strat, 2 teles 05 Epi Classic and a Harley Benton SC Custom plus a few more

jc wrote:

got an old friend who plays really well...he and an associate had an amp built  few yrs back...now he is working on it on his own...and it is close to being done...running about 30 watts...diff than any amp design out there...warm tones, not harsh, cranks up with tube overdrive nicely  then cleans up well also....would love to have you (joe )try it sometime when your in western ma. for now that is where it is...but it will be heading to cal sometime this summer  i will post some vids once i learn how to get them on this site...if you like email me for more details...ps thanks for autographing my lp in northampton after the show....

Hey jc, you get vids on here only by putting them up on a video sharing service like youtube, then posting the links here. Hope that helps.

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

VATA tour with a Vintage 61 Bassman Blondie. We do get nervous carrying it around but it sounds awesome and no point leaving it on the shelf. If I remember correctly Joe jump down off stage at the BCC gig to have a look during sound check.

Hey Joe,

I know that I will never be able to afford a $5k amp.  I would love to able to afford one of your Les Paul sig models.  Even the Epi model, but I am a Youth Minister and I don't make a lot of money.  All of the guitars that I have I have saved and saved for or I have been given money for birthdays and Christmas.  So, even when/if I can save for one of your Les Paul models, they will be gone or so expensive that I won't be able to afford one anyway.  But, I was able to grab a Marshall Class 5 Amp last year, before the Epi models came out btw, and I bought it because I saw you playing one on your bus on the RAH DVD.  To be honest, most people would by stuff based on your endorsement.  I know I would!  Because you're out there everyday testing stuff and playing stuff. 

But for us who can't afford things like expensive amps and guitars, we get as close as we can to the sound of the people we admire.  So, for now, I keep plugging away with my Epi Les Paul and my Marshall Class 5 with a tube screamer pedal and I try and play your music!  I saw you a couple weeks ago in Fort Wayne and every time I see you it makes me want to play more!!  Keep on playing and inspiring people Joe!!

I have heard that a JBLP Studio model may be in the works.

http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/post.php?tid=15579

RickB wrote:
jc wrote:

got an old friend who plays really well...he and an associate had an amp built  few yrs back...now he is working on it on his own...and it is close to being done...running about 30 watts...diff than any amp design out there...warm tones, not harsh, cranks up with tube overdrive nicely  then cleans up well also....would love to have you (joe )try it sometime when your in western ma. for now that is where it is...but it will be heading to cal sometime this summer  i will post some vids once i learn how to get them on this site...if you like email me for more details...ps thanks for autographing my lp in northampton after the show....

Hey jc, you get vids on here only by putting them up on a video sharing service like youtube, then posting the links here. Hope that helps.

thanks..i think i got it...just put up some vids of a new amp my friend is developing...would love for joe to try it out if he likes the sound...its almost done...next would be the electronics being documented into schematics...blah blah blah...

mojotone jtm45, 1966 vibrolux reverb and 1966deluxe reverb, blues deluxe tweed ri, traynor YCV50b, Traynor YBA-1a head, Marshall Code 50 in a 1-12 Bluesbreaker cab,2010 Gibson LP Std, Vintage V100GTand V100Hb, 2010 Edwards ESP E-lp , 09 mim Strat, 2 teles 05 Epi Classic and a Harley Benton SC Custom plus a few more

Here is me playing the live rig:

2005 Marshall DSL100 Limited Edition Silver Series
1987 Jubilee cab w/75's
'03 R7 Goldtop
Cantrell Sig Wah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buC9RsVU3ak

Gits: '03 Gibson Historic R7 Goldtop, '06 Gibson R8 Plaintop, MIJ '62 RI Strat,  and others...
Amps: '99 Marshall 1987x Plexi RI, 1969 Fender Super Reverb

My band: www.meanbones.com