Topic: bloomington show report

Weather was good and the show was sold out in bloomington Illinois.Joe was sporting a new haircut that looked pretty good and a black silky lookin shirt.The ceiling is low so it made the sound a little funny but everyone enjoyed themselves.Joes voice was not 100%up to par but did well and they had a keyboard player from austrailia sit in with them.It was on a thursday night and had a great turnout of not colledge kids but middleage hard working men and woman.He says he wants to come back next year and the croud will be eager to see him again .Overall a very good concert

2 (edited by suhl 2007-02-02 09:41:31)

Re: bloomington show report

I thought it was very good.  What I saw that is.  I got there when the show was said to start and it had turned out he had already been on for a half hour.  then he ended the show very early to like a little after ten.   I presume the place had some set time to close, but then the question remains why would he have played there anyway instead of somewhere like chicago or st louis.  anyhow, it was great.  solo on mountain time blew me away.  new day yesterday rocked as well.    the microphone wasnt working properly i dont think it didnt seem to be picking everything up.  My biggest problem was honestly the crowd.  the average age of a member of the crowd id say was 50+.  So i guess it goes without saying the energy in the room wasnt exactly electric.  I think it would have been better at a different venue.  i guess i just dont understand why no one under the age of 50 likes this music.  i feel sorry for joe if it is like that every night, he puts on what could have been one of the best shows ive ever seen and the crowd treats him like he is the playing at a wedding.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fCdNsm7gvu8

If wine and pills were hundred dollar bills
I might keep you satisfied

Agree with what you both said.

It wasn't the best show I've seen Joe do but I think it was mostly due to the venue.

1. The acoustics were lousy. The low ceilings tamped down the sound and it took a couple of songs for the techies to get the sound levels acceptable.
2. I noticed right away that Joe was pulling his punches with his singing. I hope it was the mike as suhl suggests and not Joe being sick again.
3. I hate the whole banquet hall setting. Sitting at tables like you're at a wedding is a very uncomfortable way to see a show. And the fact that they had an opening act allowed people to get good and drunk before Joe even came on. There were so many people wandering all over the place it made it hard to see and so many people having loud conversations that would not SHUT UP and respect the music that we couldn't hear what Rick was playing most of the time or the small, quieter parts of Joe's solos. Very disappointing as I was looking forward to seeing the band with the addition of Rick.
4. I have to say that if Joe is booked in that hall again I wouldn't go see him there.

That being said, I loved what Joe was able to do because he had Rick there. Because he had keyboards to cover the middle, Joe was able to be much more free and open with his solos. He did some astounding stuff. Django is one that stands out in my mind.

I also was blown away by the solo he did on Woke Up Dreaming. His acoustic playing was at a whole new level and I think it's because he's been doing so much acoustic work recording the new CD. It makes me that much more eager for its release.

Bogie's drum solo was the best I've seen him do. It really stood out as a high point of the night.

Fashion critique time: Joe looked great with the new haircut. He's lost more weight and looks very fit. Good work, Joe! Loved the shirt, black is definitely his color. On the other hand, I've got to say to Mark why did you cut your hair?? I'm sorry but it's just doesn't work for you at that length. Either go long again or go short. In between not good.

So, all in all, I had a good time and enjoyed the show but a theatre venue would have made it better.

Nancy in Chicago

I'm just saying.

4 (edited by suhl 2007-02-02 11:52:05)

i really hope he comes back around these parts, preferably to one of the many good venues in chicago st louis or even indianapolis and plays within the next year or two.  I could tell watching and hearing just how good he was.  he played well but overall the concert wasnt a speck of what it could have been.  i can't blame joe, he performed well.  He was amazing.  And his band was even better than I expected too everyone up there was top notch at what they did.  I am seeing him if he is anywhere near here again, and i pray it is in a different venue

Just because middleaged people do go nuts at a show does not mean they do not enjoy themsellves.I know I am laid back and dont show a lot of emotion at these events but thats just me and I do enjoy myself I see very few young people at these shows.Middleaged people have growup with blues music and understand and like it.I was glad to see joe in a small town  type venue.This is close for me to see a concert and a lot of people in this area have never hear of joe bonamassa.Althou My brother and I have worked hard to change that(along with a lot of others).The fact that this many people turned out on a thursday night is pretty amazing and that the word is getting out.For me this is a major victory to have him play in this area(he played in chicago at joes sports bar)I dont like to go to chicago to see concerts

Well, I wasn't at this show  but this middle-age (50) gal still has a stiff neck from the KC concert....don't count us all over the hill when it comes to groovin' out/head bangin' at a Joe concert. lol  pattyluvsjoe

p.s.  Mark, I luv ya' just the way you are.  "I feel good........" wink

"I'm not nice to any guitar!"      lol
                 Joe Bonamassa 05-03-12

JBLP CHILD #184

7 (edited by suhl 2007-02-02 13:24:37)

im not saying all middle aged people.  but feel free to say what you want.  if you were there it was mostly middle aged people sitting down at tables and treating it like a dinner party with a house band.  i was there for the show, most of the middle aged people were there for a night out, casually enjoying it.  Spenmding more time talking to each other than enjoying the show.  yes, more than half the crowd was sitting down and just chatting away the entire time.  You could quite literally hear the chatter just as much as the music.

bloomington doesnt have good live venues.  doesnt have to be at chicago.  canopy club in champaign would have worked.  I am not blaming the middleaged bpeople for this is another i want to make clear.  but i consider this guy like a young eric clapton and the thing is most of his fans are holdover clapton fans and from other things.  i really doubt when people went to see hendrix it was a country club/wedding type atmosphere that it was there.  i am not blaming the middleaged peopole  the people i am blaming is in fact the younger generation for not looking for good music.  I am not accusing you of having a good time.  the point is i am 19 and i was one of less than ten people there younger than the man on stage. 

again i am not trying to offend any of the old people here, but the atmosphere would have been better had the crowd been younger.  there is this hip thing kids do at shows today called standing up, oh yeah and paying attention to the guy on stage not what drink is in front of them.

all in all i really really hope to see this guy play at a venue meant for music and not weddings.  a two hour drive to see a guy play in a concert hall instead of what was basically a low quality hotel ballroom may be too much to ask for some people but i myself would welcome it

and the magazine cover at the intro to the website is so right on.  where is the younger generation here some of the best music being played on the planet being played by a relatively young guy himself,  two colleges less than five miles away and you can count the number of students there on one hand.

8 (edited by Robjs 2007-02-02 16:55:39)

I am now one of the lucky people who has got to see Mr. Joe Bonamassa perform live. Yes, the banquet hall setting was not the best. The sound may not have been perfect, but i am not complaining. I got to see Joe play! He was awsome. I was cheering Joe on as much as i could, except when i found myself sitting there in awe with my jaw on the floor. I will be going to see him every chance i get, wether it is at a big venue or a small place like in Bloomington. I hope he knows how much we appriciate him swinging through Bloomington and giving us a chance to see him perform. I wish him all the fame and fortune his desires. Thanks again Joe. 
Rob S. Huge fan and new street team member.

One other thing. Suhl, I am 42 and i do get what your saying. I ask security before the show if we could stand and they told me that with people standing and the low ceiling it makes it hard to see if your back a ways. So i would say it was the venue more than the age of the fans. I know i was ready to go to the stage and have some fun and i did during the encore. Who knows maybe someday i will be front and center cheering on Joe  with you, that is if you think you can keep up. Best wishes Rob

I just wanted to make it clear that my main disappointment was with the experience and not the show.

This was the first of Joe's shows I've been to that I seemed to be the only person around me that was enjoying what Joe and the boys were doing. There was some heavy duty head banging going on in my chair, I can assure you! Everyone else seemed more intent on drinking and conversing and the band was just background noise. Now, I was in the back so things were probably different up front. I guess I could have moved up front but I didn't really feel like standing for the whole show.

I've seen Joe three other times this year (once in Crystal Lake and twice in Oneida) and each experience was such a high because everyone was on the same wavelength. When the audience and Joe are totally in synch it's magic, and that's the experience I missed Thursday night. I'm not sure it had anything to do with the age of the audience. I think it had more to do with the fact that a lot of people who attended were first-timers and more interested in the social aspect of the event than the joy of seeing one of the greatest guitar players currently on the scene. I think if there hadn't been a warmup act that gave people plenty of time to drink and socialize ahead of the main act, the atmosphere might have been different.

Yes, the acoustics were not as good as one might wish. That I can live with. What would make me think twice about attending this venue again is whether I could expect the same experience I had last night or not. Joe plays plenty of shows (for which I am really grateful) and I'm willing to travel. If a venue is more suited to how I want to experience Joe's show then that will be a show I attend.

Nancy in Chicago

I'm just saying.

Its incredible how many of "ya'all" have this bla bla about how the show was or wasn't.  This guy rocks and all you hear is someone talking at some table?  Look no further than the mirror, get up off your your royalness and boggie.  I was at the Blooming show and we partied and cheered and loved the show.  It was my sons first joe show and he was buzzing like a bumble bee.  Most of the problem is people don't want to let their hair all the way down. But at one point some guy yelled at me to move out of his seated way, I laughed >>> he didn't have hair to hang:)  A Joe show would have fit perfect at the Madison in Peoria........... seats were in the back with a view and the front was open- this way if you wanted to get close and dance & cheer & boggie...giddy-up!!!!   Joe could play in someones garage and Id go!

whoever reads this, read the whole thing so you can see i am not just trying to be a prick or stir things up here.

say what you want friend, my opinion remains the same.  if you have ever been to a show where the music was louder than the people next to you you may have some context.  believe me i am not just trying to be a pessimist here.  i have seen bands i dont like half as much as i like joe live and enjoyed the shows more.  As i said before he wasnt at fault.

i think i may have been a little out of line with the age thing, but i want to make sure people think im not just some young punk.  i am just saying, think of all joes influneces and who would have been his peers.  when you think of clapton, hendrix, srv, bb king, led zep, cream, zz top, etc, any of them playing concerts in their prime, do you think a ballroom full of middle aged married couples?  so that is what i am saying there.  the venue was more of the problem.

as to the venue, what i mean there is, and take it from me here i was staring at the stage, listening as best i could the entire time, the music wasnt up loud enough.  i can only assume it was the venue, because quite literally every concert i have ever been to you have to raise your voice to be heard by someone.  here you just had to tlak in a normal voice.  it was like if it was turn just above normal in your living room.  most concerts you have to yell to be heard by the person next to you.

the guy rocked.  no one is disputing that.  He was the most amazing guitarist i have ever seen live.  he didnt slip.  voice was a little weak but it seemed kind of like a mic problem to me but either way the voice wasnt what drew me to this guy.  I could just be bitter because i missed songs i really wanted to hear by arriving when the show was supposed to start.

All in all it left me unsatisfied and I really think this guy is the best guitarist to come around since stevie ray vaughn and im not just going to throw that term around.  What i am saying is i cant wait to see him again in a venue meant for music.  This simply did not do him justice.  I would have preferred he payed in a garage.    and no offense to you old people i cant fault you for having good taste i hope to be doing exactly what you did around twenty years from now, but i would like to see a few more young faces there, for joes sake.  I am not just trying to play devils advocate and stir things up here.  If the guy plays an actualy concert venue within five hundred miles of where i am at the time i will make the drive.  If he plays at the same place in bloomington, as much as i hate to say it i wont be going back.

first thing the show was sold out that is a good thing
secong thing the music was not very load another good thing.I want to hear everything he is playin and I could
3rd thing hendrix in his prime was playin to a lot of drugged out hippies on acid oh thats a lot better
4th thing just because people are not acting the way you think they should be does not mean they are not having a good time
5th thing looks to me like joe had a good time and was pretty happy and said he would be back another good thing
just relax and enjoy the show and take it for what it is and I am glad and  thank the people for having the guts to get joe to play around this area another good thing Thanks you!

Simple answer on the older crowd. This type of music was popular when these people were younger. They are still listening to this music. Rap is popular now. All one has to do is look at the charts.

Blues ain't nothin' but a good woman gone bad.

suhl,

They just added a show on May 5 at Elgin Community College in Elgin, IL which is about an hour north of Chicago. The college has a 662 seat theatre, which I assume is where he'll be booked. So here's a show within driving distance that will be in a setting more conducive to seeing Joe without all the distractions.

I'm willing to bet this show will sell out quickly. I hope management considers adding a second show. smile

Nancy in Chicago

I'm just saying.

suhl wrote:

im not saying all middle aged people.  but feel free to say what you want.  if you were there it was mostly middle aged people sitting down at tables and treating it like a dinner party with a house band.  i was there for the show, most of the middle aged people were there for a night out, casually enjoying it.  Spenmding more time talking to each other than enjoying the show.  yes, more than half the crowd was sitting down and just chatting away the entire time.  You could quite literally hear the chatter just as much as the music.

bloomington doesnt have good live venues.  doesnt have to be at chicago.  canopy club in champaign would have worked.  I am not blaming the middleaged bpeople for this is another i want to make clear.  but i consider this guy like a young eric clapton and the thing is most of his fans are holdover clapton fans and from other things.  i really doubt when people went to see hendrix it was a country club/wedding type atmosphere that it was there.  i am not blaming the middleaged peopole  the people i am blaming is in fact the younger generation for not looking for good music.  I am not accusing you of having a good time.  the point is i am 19 and i was one of less than ten people there younger than the man on stage. 

again i am not trying to offend any of the old people here, but the atmosphere would have been better had the crowd been younger.  there is this hip thing kids do at shows today called standing up, oh yeah and paying attention to the guy on stage not what drink is in front of them.

all in all i really really hope to see this guy play at a venue meant for music and not weddings.  a two hour drive to see a guy play in a concert hall instead of what was basically a low quality hotel ballroom may be too much to ask for some people but i myself would welcome it

and the magazine cover at the intro to the website is so right on.  where is the younger generation here some of the best music being played on the planet being played by a relatively young guy himself,  two colleges less than five miles away and you can count the number of students there on one hand.

Suhl,
I think it's great that you're a JB fan at the age of 19. I'm 50 and grew up listening to Clapton, et. al. and Joe just struck a chord (no pun intended) with me and I've become a huge fan. I have always wondered where the younger people were at these shows...they are usually in the minority. Maybe some of them are into Rap, HipHop, or whatever and Blues Rock is not their thing. But what about the others? How many of your friends did you bring along to the show? I'd love to see Joe's younger fans spreading the word and dragging THEIR friends along to these shows. I have two daughters that are 21 and 23. They have become JB fans and I've brought   a few of their friends to shows who have also become fans. They have other friends who just wouldn't get it or appreciate it (or would rather stay home and watch American Idol). The point is, the people who are at these shows love Joe and his style of music. Young or old, we should be spreading the word to other potential fans.

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

16 (edited by Bill S 2007-02-03 11:42:39)

Nancy in Chicago wrote:

suhl,

They just added a show on May 5 at Elgin Community College in Elgin, IL which is about an hour north of Chicago. The college has a 662 seat theatre, which I assume is where he'll be booked. So here's a show within driving distance that will be in a setting more conducive to seeing Joe without all the distractions.

I'm willing to bet this show will sell out quickly. I hope management considers adding a second show. smile

Nancy in Chicago

Here's the link for the venue: http://www.elgin.edu/artsindex.asp
Tickets are on sale now...I got mine online through the link above.

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

I have promoted joe since I first saw him at the Hideout in 03 - this guy is the real deal BUT to bring in the youth is another story.  We all have to rembember when you were young, you wanted to have your own identity in this world, especiallly in your music.  Didn't matter if anyone dug it or not---except maybe a couple of your friends but you still would not abandon it, that represents you.  Hell I remember jumping around with tennis rackets air jammin to ZZtop fandango.  Youth ruled with flavor!  joe will eventually have enough following to be packing large venues.  So as an earlier post wrote, keep bringing new blood to all the shows, I brought two new bodies in Blooming, they loved the show, and hope to spread the good word!!!!!!!!!!

Well said Bill,
No matter what the age or what difference in opinion or outlook we may have on things, all of us here on this forum have one thing in common. We all love Joes music. So lets all look forward to the next time we get to see him. I will never forget the Bloomington show because it was my first time to see Joe, but im am really looking forward to one of those magical shows like Nancy described. Peace to all of my fellow Joe B. Fans