Re: Perhaps the best Dumble tone? (my .02)

I watched the video.  I have to say that the overdrive sounds too fuzzy for it to be a real dumble. The hyper articulation and midrange are almost non existent. In the far east you can buy a 10 dollar Prada bag for your girlfriend and a 20 dollar ODS face plate. That amp sounds like one of those. Or Howard was having a bad week.
Joe B

Does that mean this could possibly be a two rock or a fuchs, etc?

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

I watched the video.  I have to say that the overdrive sounds too fuzzy for it to be a real dumble. The hyper articulation and midrange are almost non existent. In the far east you can buy a 10 dollar Prada bag for your girlfriend and a 20 dollar ODS face plate. That amp sounds like one of those. Or Howard was having a bad week.
Joe B

"The way I like to look at it is....if that's the last time I ever got to play, I'd better give it everything I've got." -SRV

+1

DaveWammbarro wrote:

Overrated...

Gits: '03 Gibson Historic R7 Goldtop, '06 Gibson R8 Plaintop, MIJ '62 RI Strat,  and others...
Amps: '99 Marshall 1987x Plexi RI, 1969 Fender Super Reverb

My band: www.meanbones.com

Actually I doubt it.  It most likely is a build kit in my opinion. Fuchs and Two Rock will beat that overdrive by a long mile.  Again. It sounds weird to me even by you tube standards.

Interesting. I still don't think it's a bad tone, though. Since you (Joe) seem to have the Dumble ear, how come you've never taken the plunge to get a legitimate Dumble? Personal preference for the others?

"The way I like to look at it is....if that's the last time I ever got to play, I'd better give it everything I've got." -SRV

I won't debate the tone or legitimacy of the Dumble, but man I love that lick he plays from 2:02 to 2:12.  TASTY.  I agree it's a little grainier than, say, Robben Ford's "Talk to Your Daughter" but it's a nice sound....

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

25 (edited by stevietexas 2010-10-26 03:16:42)

Hi everybody,

firstly, I am a big Joe Bonamassa fan! Love the music, voice and playing!!!!

With all the Dumble  fakes going round  on youtube just thought I'd pass on information which I know to be correct. The amp owned by Peter Lerche in the youtube clip is Dumble number #0153, he waited 10 years for Dumble to deliver the amp after ordering it.

many thanks indeed if you need any more info on the amp I could possibly find out for you

That makes it quite embarrassing then...I've heard a nicer tone out of $1k setup...

+1 - It sounds "ok"...I always kind of thought the "Dumble" sound was a tad overrated - for the money-  but I am not a big Robben Ford fan anyway - he weirds me out to much (he looks exactly like my Aunt Francis)

DaveWammbarro wrote:

That makes it quite embarrassing then...I've heard a nicer tone out of $1k setup...

Gits: '03 Gibson Historic R7 Goldtop, '06 Gibson R8 Plaintop, MIJ '62 RI Strat,  and others...

kevman13 wrote:

+1 - It sounds "ok"...I always kind of thought the "Dumble" sound was a tad overrated - for the money-  but I am not a big Robben Ford fan anyway - he weirds me out to much (he looks exactly like my Aunt Francis)

DaveWammbarro wrote:

Actually I forgot to mention - if you watch the clip again you'll notice the master is way down - and anyone thats ever played a Dumble will know this needs to be up for the best tone.

I have access to a Dumble Overdrive Special a couple of serial numbers away from Peters and its the same deal.

Dumble is a great guy and makes fine amps!

Thankyou

Is this right?
http://www.roblivesey.com/dumble/

DaveWammbarro wrote:

Overrated...

I'm totally with you.  I've never played one, but it's an amp.  There are a ton of them on the market.  If people want to split hairs over details between one sound from another, have at it.  I don't doubt their superior craftsmanship but come on..

Amen.

helrazr84 wrote:
DaveWammbarro wrote:

Overrated...

I'm totally with you.  I've never played one, but it's an amp.  There are a ton of them on the market.  If people want to split hairs over details between one sound from another, have at it.  I don't doubt their superior craftsmanship but come on..

Well the saga continues. I heard from my friend today that the amp I thought sounded like a fake is actually real and I have offended some of the more sensitive chaps on the gear page. Anywho. My position is simple.  I put myself out there everyday to be judged scrutinized and You Tubed. I called it like I saw it or heard it really and I guess I was wrong about the first part. It's the same right anybody has to do so. So with that the great Joe B dumble fumble comes to a close.
Joe B
Ps. 10 years really? Yikes man.

33 (edited by xcorporate 2010-10-30 21:00:05)

I thought it sounded fuzzy too.  I hope Joe keeps sharing his thoughts regardless of who gets offended. 
tongue

Always....  That's a guarantee. I ll always be at least honest.
Shalomn from Tel Aviv.

I guess with all the fakes going around though, you never can really be sure what's real and what's not. I just appreciate the feedback since I did start this thread to discuss the dumble tone. And I would NEVER wait 10 years for an amp. I'm having a hard enough time saving for my jubilee and zendrive.

That's worse for the guy in the video, not Joe..surely?

He's made one of the most expensive amps ever made sound like something Behringer would make...