Re: EV12L

Hey guys, great thread. I recently acquired a Boogie Thiele cab from a guy who thought it was from the 70's, but I'm thinking is actually from the early 80's. I read they didn't even make the EV12L until 83. There's an old EV12L in there and from what I can tell it's in great shape and sounds fine. What can I do to check the health of this bad boy? What can I do to keep it in good shape? It says "Series II" and "Special design for SLM Electronics." It has a silvery or mirror type sticker on the magnet. What is Series II, who is SLM Electronics, who are we, and why are we here? Just any knowledge or info about this cool speaker I was totally unaware of until I saw this cab for sale would be fantastic. I have some pics of it but I guess I'm a BBC code noob too. Thanks everyone!

95 Am Std Strat, 05 Gibson Firebird VII Reissue, 2010 Custom Shop ES335 "Dot" Reissue, 2010 Black Beauty

Your question is on the health of the speaker? If it's rattling and poor sounding, it's probably fine. EV12L's have a high tolerance for everything, so what what I gather, they are extremely hard to blow up or wear out.

A visual and audio impression should give you a good idea if it's in good shape or not.

byrdjohn50 wrote:

What can I do to check the health of this bad boy? What can I do to keep it in good shape? It says "Series II" and "Special design for SLM Electronics."

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Thanks for the reply. The speaker seems like its in great condition. I hooked my Fryette Deliverance 120 to it and when the vol was kind of low, I was like- yeeesh. But then when I turned it up the thinness melted away and it was great. What does Series II mean? Mine says it on the back. Also says designed for SLM electronics. Ideas?

95 Am Std Strat, 05 Gibson Firebird VII Reissue, 2010 Custom Shop ES335 "Dot" Reissue, 2010 Black Beauty

byrdjohn50 wrote:

Thanks for the reply. The speaker seems like its in great condition. I hooked my Fryette Deliverance 120 to it and when the vol was kind of low, I was like- yeeesh. But then when I turned it up the thinness melted away and it was great. What does Series II mean? Mine says it on the back. Also says designed for SLM electronics. Ideas?

I'm looking at your screen name....is your name actually John Byrd? If so, it's really funny, because my name is Jon Byrd! Lol.

Two BonaByrds! cool Welcome byrdjohn50...
hopefully not doppelgängers!

Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

If you're not sure how it will sound or fear they may be a bit heavy in the long haul, then perhaps a Weber Michigan could do the trick. They're just 100W each and should sing rather nicely even at 40-50W fed into them.

I just put my 30 watt tube head through 2x12 EVM12L Black Labels and it sounded great. loud though!

byrdjohn50 wrote:

SLM Electronics was the parent company that owned Ampeg, USA Crate, Alverez, and Electra Guitars. They probably contracted
Electro-voice to supply speakers as oem equipment for the amp companies.

Guitars..'07 Custom shop 58 flametop, '11 JB studio goldtop, Nash custom aged 63 strat, Breedlove custom shop quilted Jumbo.
Amps etc: Fuchs, Blackjack 21 Head, Retro Channel RR1 Retro wreck head, Marshall 2601 Cabs loaded with eminence
Lady Luck 75 watt 12's. J.B sig Wah, J.B. FET driver, Keeley modded TS9, Boss DD3, CE2, Tu2
Pickboy 1.50 pix, EB power slinkys.