Re: New guitar for Joe?

Thanks - I'm glad that was sorted.

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

The code word for it is "Bona-Byrd"  Its a one off that Gibson Custon did for me.  Thank you Rick Gembar , Pat Foley and Edwin for doing such a cool guitar.. Just used it in the pictures for Guitar World.  Its ace...
joe B

Absolutely horrid.  Sacrilege actually.  Makes the Zakk Wylde SG/V look good. (and it's not.)

Gibson 60th Anniversary 1959 Les Paul Reissue, Gibson LP Standard Faded CSB, Gibson Gary Moore LP Standard, Epi Joe Bonamassa GT LP, Epi Zakk Wylde LP, Dean Michael Schenker Flying V, Jackson Randy Rhoads V, ESP/LTD George Lynch Kamikaze, EVH Striped Series R/B/W, Fender/Squire John 5 Telecaster, Fender Joe Strummer Relic Telecaster

Calm down, nut...it's not as bad as the WildWylde.

LOL... Dont blame Gibson... That guitar was my idea... I did the new take on the Firebird 1.  There is only one... Dont worry..
Joe B

Hi Joe

does it stay in tune better, etc.? no G string slippage or whatever?

I think it looks pretty cool....please bring it to Japan in May!

You never know what's going to happen.....

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

LOL... Dont blame Gibson... That guitar was my idea... I did the new take on the Firebird 1.  There is only one... Dont worry..
Joe B

A Les Paul with a Firebird neck? I dig it!
I just wonder if it's a set neck (LP style) or a neck thru (Firebird style)?

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

nah that thing has to be set neck.  Its all Les Paul with the exception of the head stock.  Why would Gibson go out and make it harder then they had to?  A head stock is easy to change, a straight through body style les paul would take some major effort on their part to redesign.

Hey, just noticed the December in studio photo I read Kevin Shirley posted on his Facebook site shows the Bona-Byrd from behind.  Probably not a good enough view for anyone to notice or figure out back then.

Gibson 60th Anniversary 1959 Les Paul Reissue, Gibson LP Standard Faded CSB, Gibson Gary Moore LP Standard, Epi Joe Bonamassa GT LP, Epi Zakk Wylde LP, Dean Michael Schenker Flying V, Jackson Randy Rhoads V, ESP/LTD George Lynch Kamikaze, EVH Striped Series R/B/W, Fender/Squire John 5 Telecaster, Fender Joe Strummer Relic Telecaster

Now that some soak time has occurred and I actually had the pleasure to hear this guitar live I must admit I have changed my tune.  Sometimes we get stuck in what an iconic object is "supposed to be" instead of thinking outside the box for a very different interpretation.  I'd like to apologize to Joe for post #20!  I'm definitely coming around . . .

And thanks for the gorgeous photo for week #2.

DaveWammbarro wrote:

I saw this video earlier today just briefly of a guy getting his guitar signed and seeing Joe backstage in Spain - now, I think he was playing Slow Train (cannot remember now), but it was the guitar that caught my eye...

It was like a Les Paul with a Strat-style headstock - all the machineheads on one side - it looked excellent and sounding pretty amazing (sadly the guy has taken the video down now)...thought it was 12-string, but didn't sound like it as he played solo bits single note-style.

Anyone know what it could be?

that would be the Gibson Bona-Byrd it's a single pickup LP with a Firebird neck

jo2011 wrote:

that would be the Gibson Bona-Byrd it's a single pickup LP with a Firebird neck

Yeah. This was an older thread I brought back to life.  Joe himself explained it early last year.

I think it's pretty cool. It sure sounds good, but it could be the guy playing... wink

I'd have to agree that Gibson doesn't need to change much, but quality wise, a good friend of mine picked up a Gibson, and picked up an Epiphone and said he'd call them extremely close in quality and the Epiphone more comfortable for him... So it looks like the under dog is catching up on quality, I don't know what others think but I haven't been playing long enough to decide for myself either. But that LP headstock looks crazy, I'd love one.

Music is a powerful thing...

Catching up or not playing wise Gibsons still play better then Epiphones.  Purely an opinion based on all the Gibson vs all the Epiphone I've played.  Dollar for Dollar its hard to beat an Epiphone.