Re: You guys are the bomb so....

Hey jgalvan8804 sorry I wasn't trying to imply anything it came out wrong, I just wanted to say I am sure DannyG has great tone.

Now I need to figure out how to get those "EJ" & "JB" tones as well.

I constantly am checking for tips here.  I have so much respect for everyone here.  This is the one place I can find people who want to compare the small differences between 20 different dumble style pedals.

I just ordered a Tim pedal from Paul C.  I have you freaks to thank for that one. I am thinking this pedal may just replace the Fulltone Fulldrive.  I dont know.

Big E I wasnt offended I type messages in a very minimalistic and honest way and sometimes my messages appear to be very ridden with attitude.

Sorry if I was short.

A little off the topic, but I'm sure everyone uses the volume and tone knobs on guitar, not just cranked at 10, but being a pedal junky, I find myself practicing to be Fred Astaire with a lot fancy foot moves....THEN, I just plug cable direct into my Ceriatone OTS, put the lead channel on and all I have to do is work volume on guitar to clean or dirty up tone and BAM... pure tone bliss, no tone suck, just pure guitar and amp, forget how good they both sound with nothing else but maybe a reverb in amps loop and or a little delay.....hmmm....back to my pedalboard smile

Another non-BK Butler option for the violin tone would be some of the exotic stuff.  Sometimes EJ uses an AC Booster in place of his Tube Driver.  My dad's Andy Timmons Signature BB Preamp is one of the warmest overdrives I've heard and does the violin tone VERY WELL.  Your Fuchs should be fine, as long as it's not used super clean + pedals, the EJ sound benefits from a little bit of natural amp overdrive.  Roll off the treble and presence as much as you can stand, then roll off even more treble with the pedal.  EJ's whole lead rig is a 3 step effort to roll treble off...the amps have 0 treble/presence, the Tube Driver has 0 bass or treble, and his Strat's bridge pickup is rolled off to 6 or 7 on the tone knob.  It's a real sacrifice if you are dependent on a single amp to do everything, because IMO the lead sound takes SO MUCH WORK to get right it ruins the party for any other options.

My clean/dirty rhythm amp is a '68 Super Reverb and I'm switching between the normal and vibrato inputs.  I'd love to just be able to add the Butler to that and call it a day but I have to dedicate a whole seperate amp rig (Marshall/Metro Superlead 100 + Marshall 4x12 cab) to acomplish the violin tone...

So jgalvan8804 may have a point, a Marshall amp of some sort my help you in your EJ quest

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

I cant believe that EJ takes all the treble out of his tone.  Thats crazy.  I guess with a strat its what gives him that really thick sound but I cant imagine no treble on a les paul.  Mud City...

jgalvan8804 wrote:

I cant believe that EJ takes all the treble out of his tone.  Thats crazy.  I guess with a strat its what gives him that really thick sound but I cant imagine no treble on a les paul.  Mud City...

+1 on Mud City w/ a Les Paul.  I get around it by dialing the treble on the Tube Driver around 9-10 o'clock and rolling the volume off a little to approximate the output of the Strat (you don't want the humbuckers to over-saturate the amp).  Also I try to keep the tone knob on "10" on the Les Paul to add more bite, again because the humbuckers are warmer sounding than a Strat's bridge pickup.  I've always had some problems switching between humbucking guitars and single coil guitars with my rig.  It's not that annoying though, just a few minor adjustments and everything is gravy again!

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

I should get into the habit of keeping my les paul on 8 all the time on the vol control.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool