Re: New Epiphones starting to appear?

Well just heard from Zzounds yet again,they said Epip. has moved their date out 2 more weeks. mad  Am I the only one who ordered from them ?

146 (edited by Sjmckean 2011-01-07 08:45:56)

lvbluesboy wrote:

Sjmckean, I hope your new guitar is awesome. I sure wouldn't want to have to send it back again.

I got my second guitar and I'm completely satisfied!  No major twist on this one, the truss rod cover is aligned properly, the bottom "horns", or curves at the bottom of the headstock, are symmetrical, There is no ding in the pickup, and no overspray from the fretboard onto the binding.  I didn't even notice that part until a friend pointed it out.  I am so glad I decided to get the second.  Only ONE problem.  The neck end of the case was split on the bottom and the leather was torn.  Guess which case is being returned with the first guitar! 

Shayne

2011 Gibson Joe Bonamassa Les Paul Studio Gold Top, 2010 Epi Joe Bonamassa Les Paul Gold Top, 2010 Epi Les Paul Standard '57 Gold Top, 2010 Epi Les Paul Standard Honey Burst (autographed by Joe Bonamassa), 2006 Epi Les Paul Classic Quilt top, 2004 Eric Clapton Strat, 1989 First wife

Jerrdogg wrote:

Well just heard from Zzounds yet again,they said Epip. has moved their date out 2 more weeks. mad  Am I the only one who ordered from them ?

I placed my order from them back in Nov.  I called in Dec. and was told it would arrive on Jan. 18.  What date were you given?  At this rate, we may end up with the Musicians Friend rejects.  Oh well.  Patience, I guess.  I'm planning on getting one of the Nighthawks as well...they may arrive around the same time.

148 (edited by Jerrdogg 2011-01-06 21:30:44)

MissJackson wrote:
Jerrdogg wrote:

I placed my order from them back in Nov.  I called in Dec. and was told it would arrive on Jan. 18.  What date were you given?  At this rate, we may end up with the Musicians Friend rejects.  Oh well.  Patience, I guess.  I'm planning on getting one of the Nighthawks as well...they may arrive around the same time.

Yep,I ordered mine around the first of Nov.,was told it would be here before CHRISTmas,then moved to Jan. 10th and now Jan.18th to 28thas well. Man so much for of Gibsons top sellers. Seems like Gibson's got them on the bottom of their list. sad

I have a couple of others as well, but they are transistor and I really want to hook the LP up through an all tube amp. I don't run it too much 'cause it scares the dogs and my neighbors. Hmmm, maybe it's my playing and not the amp lol !

Anyway, I'll let you know how it sounds. Maybe I'll even hook in the pedal board...... wink

Wow...that's a cool Old Sunn amp...built like a tank and made to last ..like all of the old stuff ...that includes older speakers too...JBL's,Altecs,Ev's etc...
you won't be sorry when you plug it in..........:)

And so castles made of sand melts into the sea, eventually.........

airportdon,

Thanks for the kind words about my old Sunn. Gonna fire it up this weekend and see what gives with the LP. I remember I bought it primarily because I had just seen Hendrix in Seattle and at that time he had a Sunn sponsorship and had a veritable wall of Sunn amps behind him. Too cool. They didn't mic stuff back then (except for the drums) and to say that the concert was loud would be kind of underestimating it.

Been playing the Epi unplugged and it sounds great acoustically. Heavier than I expected, but that may be contributing to its' resonance.

I am curious as to how you can tell what number your guitar is based on the serial number. This is supposed to be a limited run of 1000 worldwide. Anyone have an answer?

Nothin' but the Blues

I think it's by the last three numbers.  My first is the identical number to my second, except the last three.

YY/MM/4 digit plant number/serial number.  My first was 372.  The second is 405.

2011 Gibson Joe Bonamassa Les Paul Studio Gold Top, 2010 Epi Joe Bonamassa Les Paul Gold Top, 2010 Epi Les Paul Standard '57 Gold Top, 2010 Epi Les Paul Standard Honey Burst (autographed by Joe Bonamassa), 2006 Epi Les Paul Classic Quilt top, 2004 Eric Clapton Strat, 1989 First wife

had a friend over last night to tell me i'm not crazy.
he told me, "you're not crazy.  this thing kills.  i can't believe the natural sustain of the guitar."
we ripped through a number of different pedals into an alessandro rottweiler running 6v6s.
i showed him my minor complaints about the cosmetic issues (binding).
"does that bother you?"
i said, "if you look at my 15 year old martin you'll see it gets banged up over time. . . . "
we both agreed on one important thing that needs to be done to the guitar though. . .
"it needs a truss rod adjustment" smile
too flat!!!
i thought it was me. . . . it's not. . . .

that's all folks.

a $6-700 les paul that is everything i'd hope for. . . 

the bridge pickup into an overdriven amp is total ROCK tones.

LOVE it into a skreddy screwdriver into the clean amp.

also ran it through. . .
pig mine
katana
timmy
astrotone
wampler ecstasy (very 'dumbly' pedal.. . . nice surprise)

now back to the SONGS.

it's nice to have the gear part tackled cool

Sjmckean wrote:

I think it's by the last three numbers.  My first is the identical number to my second, except the last three.

YY/MM/4 digit plant number/serial number.  My first was 372.  The second is 405.

I think you might be right......I'll have to check the serial number on mine later....

lvbluesboy wrote:

airportdon,

Thanks for the kind words about my old Sunn. Gonna fire it up this weekend and see what gives with the LP. I remember I bought it primarily because I had just seen Hendrix in Seattle and at that time he had a Sunn sponsorship and had a veritable wall of Sunn amps behind him. Too cool. They didn't mic stuff back then (except for the drums) and to say that the concert was loud would be kind of underestimating it.

Been playing the Epi unplugged and it sounds great acoustically. Heavier than I expected, but that may be contributing to its' resonance.

I am curious as to how you can tell what number your guitar is based on the serial number. This is supposed to be a limited run of 1000 worldwide. Anyone have an answer?

Wow you got to see Hendrix!,do you remember any of the show???   I wish I could have seen him just once..he's still the King of the Strat for sure.
I was a bit too young..1st concert was '73......I know back in the days...I remember going to and coming home but not much else....
I guess we partied a bit much..You can't do that today without going to jail........and ain't that the truth...

airportdon wrote:
lvbluesboy wrote:

airportdon,

Wow you got to see Hendrix!,do you remember any of the show???   I wish I could have seen him just once..he's still the King of the Strat for sure.
I was a bit too young..1st concert was '73......I know back in the days...I remember going to and coming home but not much else....
I guess we partied a bit much..You can't do that today without going to jail........and ain't that the truth...

There a few of us vintage fans about. San Diego HS auditorium, '69, with the Experience band, the whole deal, git on fire and destroyed at the end of the set. Mind altering! Those were the days.

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

RickB wrote:
airportdon wrote:
lvbluesboy wrote:

airportdon,

There a few of us vintage fans about. San Diego HS auditorium, '69, with the Experience band, the whole deal, git on fire and destroyed at the end of the set. Mind altering! Those were the days.

I can imagine how crazy it was to see that stratocaster on fire...You're another lucky soul.
I guess you got to see the Original Peter Green Fleetwood Mac as well???  Man your list could on and on.....

airportdon wrote:
RickB wrote:
airportdon wrote:

I can imagine how crazy it was to see that stratocaster on fire...You're another lucky soul.
I guess you got to see the Original Peter Green Fleetwood Mac as well???  Man your list could on and on.....

Good now I don't feel so old. LOL My older sis,a Hippy at the time. We lived in S.F. so Haight Asbury was just down the road. Anywho she took me to my first concert,I think it was the only way she could get out of the house. Monterey Pop Fest. 1967 I think was the year,I thought I was gonna die,he lit a strat on fire. yikes While I only had my Harmony sitting at home. That was it,then came the Fillmore,Family Dog. Ok I'm really feeling old here. Ok when's my new axe gonna get here.

158 (edited by RickB 2011-01-07 15:07:56)

Jerrdogg wrote:
airportdon wrote:
RickB wrote:

Good now I don't feel so old. LOL My older sis,a Hippy at the time. We lived in S.F. so Haight Asbury was just down the road. Anywho she took me to my first concert,I think it was the only way she could get out of the house. Monterey Pop Fest. 1967 I think was the year,I thought I was gonna die,he lit a strat on fire. yikes While I only had my Harmony sitting at home. That was it,then came the Fillmore,Family Dog. Ok I'm really feeling old here. Ok when's my new axe gonna get here.

The thing that I remember most was the way he sounded live. I assumed the crazy sounds I had heard on the radio and records was some trick done in the studio, 'cause no one else even came close. Better live than recorded! The way he used the feedback from the amp and got right up close to control the amount was incredible.
You must remember the sound that Strat made in its death throes. Max feedback from the amps and it was just screaming and howling while he was bashing it on the stage on fire. Unreal! I want vids of you guys doing it with the new axe.  yikes  lol

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

Wow! This is too cool. Glad to see I'm not the only baby boomer hanging around this forum! lol

Saw Hendrix and the Experience twice. Both times in Seattle. Both at the Seattle Center Colisium. One in the round with Vanilla Fudge opening and the second show had the stage at one end and no opening act that I can remember. He destroyed his Strat at both shows, the first by fire and the second show by crashing repeatedly into the wall of Marshall amps! The controlled feedback was unreal. Kind of hard to forget those shows. As I recall he opened the first show with Foxy Lady and the second with Voodoo Child (Slight Return).

Too make things seem even more distant from today, I remember that the ticket for the second show (1967) was a whopping $14 and I had great seats!

Jerrdogg, I hope you get your new axe soon. It's too bad the delivery times are so random. I feel for those across the pond since the delay there seems to be worse.

Gotta check out that serial number when I get home today!  big_smile

Nothin' but the Blues

Hi All,

Hey, if Sjmckean is correct, my guitar is number 934 of the 1000. Kind of suprised the number was that high, but oh well.

The main reason I am posting today is to let all of you know that it may be a really good idea to give your new guitar's fretboard a through cleaning and conditioning. I decided to put on a set of my favorite Rotosounds and got out my good old Lizard Spit cleaner/conditioner and whoa, was I suprised.

That fretboard was incredibly dirty. It almost looks like a different guitar now. I am sure the residue is from manufacturing, but I would highly recommend checking yours out if you haven't already. Another one of those "How did this pass QC?"moments.

The new strings seem to have brought the guitar alive too. I normally change them pretty quickly, but usually play the originals for a little while. As a bonus, with the strings off it was a little easier to get the shipping covers off of the pickups.

I just couldn't believe how much residue was on the fretboard. A word to the wise.

Nothin' but the Blues

Received my JB Epiphone #384 on Friday from Guitar Center- Friday night my fingers were turning black, thought it because I was playing so much...... 

The guitar arrived set up well and in perfect condition, sounds great!  My little hands are having a hard time with the thick neck, however.  I'm sure I'll get used to it.

lvbluesboy wrote:

Hi All,

Hey, if Sjmckean is correct, my guitar is number 934 of the 1000. Kind of suprised the number was that high, but oh well.

The main reason I am posting today is to let all of you know that it may be a really good idea to give your new guitar's fretboard a through cleaning and conditioning. I decided to put on a set of my favorite Rotosounds and got out my good old Lizard Spit cleaner/conditioner and whoa, was I suprised.

That fretboard was incredibly dirty. It almost looks like a different guitar now. I am sure the residue is from manufacturing, but I would highly recommend checking yours out if you haven't already. Another one of those "How did this pass QC?"moments.

The new strings seem to have brought the guitar alive too. I normally change them pretty quickly, but usually play the originals for a little while. As a bonus, with the strings off it was a little easier to get the shipping covers off of the pickups.

I just couldn't believe how much residue was on the fretboard. A word to the wise.

lvbluesboy wrote:

Hi All,

That fretboard was incredibly dirty. It almost looks like a different guitar now. I am sure the residue is from manufacturing, but I would highly recommend checking yours out if you haven't already. Another one of those "How did this pass QC?" moments.

Yeah, I noticed the same thing.  If you look real close at the binding on the neck, you may see a little "overspray" right on the binding.  I think there was a wood stain that was applied to the fretboard. I used a razor blade to scrape off the overspray and I've been cleaning, wiping off, and recleaning the fret board, with Fret Doctor, until it stops turning the cotton wad black.