Re: New Epiphones starting to appear?

Sjmckean wrote:

http://s541.photobucket.com/albums/gg39 … C00194.jpg

Notice how it seems "skewed?

http://s541.photobucket.com/albums/gg39 … C00193.jpg

And does the bottom of the head stock seem symetrical?  Is anyone else's like this?

2011 Gibson Joe Bonamassa Les Paul Studio Gold Top, 2010 Epi Joe Bonamassa Les Paul Gold Top, 2010 Epi Les Paul Standard '57 Gold Top, 2010 Epi Les Paul Standard Honey Burst (autographed by Joe Bonamassa), 2006 Epi Les Paul Classic Quilt top, 2004 Eric Clapton Strat, 1989 First wife

Wow Sjmckean, that headstock does seem a little out of whack. I'll look at mine when I get home, but I don't think it's like that at all. I was thinking I might want to tweak the truss rod just a little after the guitar aclimates to its' new home, but that looks like it may be a manufacturing defect.

Under warranty obviously, but it would still mean a return to the vender and the wait for the replacement, which (fingers and toes crossed) is clean and still available since this is a limited run.

Nothin' but the Blues

lvbluesboy wrote:

Wow Sjmckean, that headstock does seem a little out of whack. I'll look at mine when I get home, but I don't think it's like that at all. I was thinking I might want to tweak the truss rod just a little after the guitar aclimates to its' new home, but that looks like it may be a manufacturing defect.

Under warranty obviously, but it would still mean a return to the vender and the wait for the replacement, which (fingers and toes crossed) is clean and still available since this is a limited run.

Oh man.  I'll post more pics for a better view.

2011 Gibson Joe Bonamassa Les Paul Studio Gold Top, 2010 Epi Joe Bonamassa Les Paul Gold Top, 2010 Epi Les Paul Standard '57 Gold Top, 2010 Epi Les Paul Standard Honey Burst (autographed by Joe Bonamassa), 2006 Epi Les Paul Classic Quilt top, 2004 Eric Clapton Strat, 1989 First wife

Here's more pics.

http://s541.photobucket.com/albums/gg39 … C00185.jpg

http://s541.photobucket.com/albums/gg39 … C00189.jpg

See where the nut is?  Compare to the next.

http://s541.photobucket.com/albums/gg39 … 0188-1.jpg

http://s541.photobucket.com/albums/gg39 … 0186-1.jpg

http://s541.photobucket.com/albums/gg39 … C00196.jpg

Let me know what you think.  It plays great and sounds great, I just don't know if this is right, and if not, how it will affect the guitar in the future.  The stresses have to be "amiss" there if this isn't normal.

The headstock is definitely not straight. Interesting to see that they compensated that with the nut. So I'm guessing the strings and neck is actually in spec. Playability may be fine, but I would likely send mine back if either of the 2 I ordered look like that.  You paid for a perfect instrument and that is what you deserve.

Gibson 60th Anniversary 1959 Les Paul Reissue, Gibson LP Standard Faded CSB, Gibson Gary Moore LP Standard, Epi Joe Bonamassa GT LP, Epi Zakk Wylde LP, Dean Michael Schenker Flying V, Jackson Randy Rhoads V, ESP/LTD George Lynch Kamikaze, EVH Striped Series R/B/W, Fender/Squire John 5 Telecaster, Fender Joe Strummer Relic Telecaster

Musician's Friend is awesome!  I called about my guitar, and there was only one left in inventory, so I bought it and they gave me a return invoice for mine.  They were very understanding of my concern and extremely courteous and helpful!  I'm a customer for life!   I'm actually amazed that I found this problem so quick.  This was not noticeable from a casual inspection.  I changed the strings and as I was tightening the strings up, I sighted down the neck, from the headstock, and it just didn't seem right.  Thanks to those who responded to my post and confirmed my findings.  I'm actually surprised it made it through QA, but maybe this is a situation where it doesn't affect anything, so it meets the standard.  My concern was how it would affect the neck over the years since it can't be holding the string tension evenly.  Maybe an engineer could argue otherwise.  I'm just happy I have another on the way.  It's such a great playing (and looking) guitar!

Wow your headstock was way out of wack...I'm happy you're getting another one...Yes M/F's customer service is great. 

Let us know when the replacement one arrives... &  Hope Everyone has a  Happy New Year!

And so castles made of sand melts into the sea, eventually.........

Looked at mine when I got home last night. It is a little off, but not much. They did compensate for the "twist" with the nut and it plays fine, but I may be contacting Musician's Friend as well.

Kind of wonder how many others may be in the same condition. Everyone should look at their's carefully and check them out.

Since this is a limited edition, I wonder how Epiphone is going to take care of this if it is a problem with a number of guitars and who knows if the replacement will be any different?

I also compared it to my Gibson Classic Antique LP and the Gibson head angle is slightly different also. Not that the angle is a big deal, just different.

Sjmckean, please let us know what your replacement looks like when it arrives. Fingers crossed!

Nothin' but the Blues

about twenty four hours in. . .

sick guitar for the money.

the neck is really something.  you'll either love it or not.  if you don't like a sizable piece of wood filling your hand, you won't dig it.  my favorite neck is an american standard strat.  this has a bit more to fill the hand than that. . . the fingerboard is a beautiful grain and the fretboard radius is something i've never had the pleasure of before.  it's real nice for bending off that fat neck with such ease.

acoustically, this guitar is totally pleasing.  very easily has more sustain than all of my other electrics (not saying much, as most are strats and the tele has the most acoustic sustain of the bunch).  meanwhile, it's nice to just walk around strumming this thing unplugged.

pickups are the real deal it seems.  i've played many a lester, and these burstbuckers are among my favorite.  the tuners are also the real deal.  when you consider that the pickups and tuners alone would run you $300, this guitar becomes more and more of a bargain.  throw in the case and the strap locks. . . wow.

on a les paul, i'm going for the bridge first and i'm throwing some dirt on there.  i started with an analogman astrotone into an alessandro.  instant rock tones.  you know them tones. . . i didn't even visit the clean neck tones until today.  they are great, by the way  smile

i don't know what else to say, really.  i'm sh*t-grinnin' from ear to ear.  there ARE some minor cosmetic flaws.  the PAINT is perfect, for the record.  it's the folks in the binding department that need some schooling from nashville.  it's stuff that would normally happen to my guitars over time, but it's not stuff that you'd see on a 2k+ lester.  i could honestly give a sh*t, because i'm all about the sound and the feel. . . but i thought i'd be downright honest too. . .

gotta run.  type more later.  just thought i'd share

Yes a very great guitar for the money today.....just got done after 2 hours this morning. I like the larger 50's neck....just feels so right to me...just love those burst-buckers.....wow!!!

How's the resonance on the guitar? Almost about to pull the trigger on one of these.

I notice that a lot of Epi Les Paul Standards around the $400-$500 USD range (even Gibson Standards) I've played have "dead" feeling low strings. They usually sound great regardless, but when you pluck the E, A, or D strings around frets 3-10, it'll feel dead and plasticky. I think that's really the dealbreaker for me when dealing with Gibson-made instruments. Any input on how it feels in this aspect?

StratLovesLenny wrote:

How's the resonance on the guitar? Almost about to pull the trigger on one of these.

I notice that a lot of Epi Les Paul Standards around the $400-$500 USD range (even Gibson Standards) I've played have "dead" feeling low strings. They usually sound great regardless, but when you pluck the E, A, or D strings around frets 3-10, it'll feel dead and plasticky. I think that's really the dealbreaker for me when dealing with Gibson-made instruments. Any input on how it feels in this aspect?

Man mine's still backordered.  sad  1-10-11 is the due date. Man I hope they don't screw up. I thought ZZounds was one of the big Gibson dealers.

Me too. AMS took orders a month prior to MF, and MF is shipping more than 2 weeks earlier. No justice!

Gibson 60th Anniversary 1959 Les Paul Reissue, Gibson LP Standard Faded CSB, Gibson Gary Moore LP Standard, Epi Joe Bonamassa GT LP, Epi Zakk Wylde LP, Dean Michael Schenker Flying V, Jackson Randy Rhoads V, ESP/LTD George Lynch Kamikaze, EVH Striped Series R/B/W, Fender/Squire John 5 Telecaster, Fender Joe Strummer Relic Telecaster

I'm in the dark on mine... Ordered through a Guitar Center Store. The GC web site listed the in-stock date as 12/31. Then they were in-stock on 12/30. Now they are showing the date in stock date as 2/1. I asked my guy at GC today and he didnt know anything. I hope I don't have to wait that long.

But the help with the GAS i picked up a Class 5 today.

Andrew Petty

StratLovesLenny wrote:

acoustically, this guitar is totally pleasing.  very easily has more sustain than all of my other electrics (not saying much, as most are strats and the tele has the most acoustic sustain of the bunch).  meanwhile, it's nice to just walk around strumming this thing unplugged.

michaeljohn wrote:
StratLovesLenny wrote:

I think it's like anything else made these days whether it being imported or made in the USA, when you get a good piece of wood and a great setup from the factory with nice filed frets then the outcome is incredible. How many times have you went into a guitar center for instance and picked up an expensive guitar thinking oh boy this is the one and it turns out to be a piece of junk...The one I got plays/sounds great plugged in or unplugged ...There are no dead spots on mine & it does not fell plasticky...(I know what you mean by that )...The features sold me along with the price..If you don't like it when it comes you can send it back-hoping you might get another one....:)

I have to agree.  I think this is the best sounding guitar, acoustically and electrically that I own, and I have quite a few, including two other Epi's and a couple of Strats (one of them is the EC Sig).  The resonance is great.  I wad amazed at how much this guitar vibrated when playing it.  My other solid bodies do too, but not like this. 

Shayne

Mine arrived this morning (apologies for the lousy photography):

Picture 1

Picture 2

No cosmetic issues, love the neck (I also own a Fender Baja Tele and a Jimmie Vaughan Strat, so I'm obviously partial to the "baseball bat" style  wink ), Burstbuckers sound awesome through my AC15C1.   Needed a minor tuning out of the box, but the set-up (done in Nashville?) seemed fine to me.  Glad to be one of the lucky 1,000...    big_smile

Terrance Shuman
Kansas City, MO