Re: New Epiphones starting to appear?

rythmplaya wrote:

Even one on eBay! Here we go...

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Epiphone-Joe-Bo … 1c18353233

that guy already posted a glowing review on musiciansfriend . . .   sad

I ordered mine on Nov 1st from AMS (first US company I saw taking orders). Still showing a Jan 10th availability date. Patience . . . .

Gibson 60th Anniversary 1959 Les Paul Reissue, Gibson LP Standard Faded CSB, Gibson Gary Moore LP Standard, Epi Joe Bonamassa GT LP, Epi Zakk Wylde LP, Dean Michael Schenker Flying V, Jackson Randy Rhoads V, ESP/LTD George Lynch Kamikaze, EVH Striped Series R/B/W, Fender/Squire John 5 Telecaster, Fender Joe Strummer Relic Telecaster

93 (edited by Sjmckean 2010-12-29 22:14:43)

I got mine tonight!  Absolutely awesome!  The finish is perfect and the set up was just about perfect.  I'm going to wait for it to warm up and "stable" out now that it's not driving cross country in the cold, but first check tonight was impressive.  It plays better than my other LP, a quilt top "classic" that was made at the Sein plant in Korea.  The first thing I noticed was that it had very heavy strings.  I'm used to 9's, but after playing this for a while, I decided my new favorites are whatever is on here.  I think 11's?  Not sure, but i swear i can play faster and more accurately with them.  The strings don't seem as "loose" as 9's (if that makes sense).  All my guitars are getting 11's now.  The string heighth is a little higher than I usually set mine up for, but again, string control and bending seemed cleaner and better,  hmm.....  I can't believe i'm finding this stuff out now (after 20 years)! I'm sure someone will tell me that it's all in my head.  Please let me know if I'm talking crazy. : )
Anyway, thanks Joe (and Epiphone) for giving me the opportunity to get such a great guitar at a great price!  I am so stoked to keep playing!

One complaint  The COA is printed on paper that is slightly better than regular printer paper, it has "cartridge marks" top and bottom, and is creased from being placed under the guitar with no protection.  I guess I didn't buy it for the COA anyway, but still ...  Not presentation worthy at all.

2011 Gibson Joe Bonamassa Les Paul Studio Gold Top, 2010 Epi Joe Bonamassa Les Paul Gold Top, 2010 Epi Les Paul Standard '57 Gold Top, 2010 Epi Les Paul Standard Honey Burst (autographed by Joe Bonamassa), 2006 Epi Les Paul Classic Quilt top, 2004 Eric Clapton Strat, 1989 First wife

Sjmckean wrote:

I got mine tonight!  Absolutely awesome!  The finish is perfect and the set up was just about perfect.  I'm going to wait for it to warm up and "stable" out now that it's not driving cross country in the cold, but first check tonight was impressive.  It plays better than my other LP, a quilt top "classic" that was made at the Sein plant in Korea.  The first thing I noticed was that it had very heavy strings.  I'm used to 9's, but after playing this for a while, I decided my new favorites are whatever is on here.  I think 11's?  Not sure, but i swear i can play faster and more accurately with them.  The strings don't seem as "loose" as 9's (if that makes sense).  All my guitars are getting 11's now.  The string heighth is a little higher than I usually set mine up for, but again, string control and bending seemed cleaner and better,  hmm.....  I can't believe i'm finding this stuff out now (after 20 years)! I'm sure someone will tell me that it's all in my head.  Please let me know if I'm talking crazy. : )
Anyway, thanks Joe (and Epiphone) for giving me the opportunity to get such a great guitar at a great price!  I am so stoked to keep playing!

One complaint  The COA is printed on paper that is slightly better than regular printer paper, it has "cartridge marks" top and bottom, and is creased from being placed under the guitar with no protection.  I guess I didn't buy it for the COA anyway, but still ...  Not presentation worthy at all.

I really think the foreign made stuff has come a long way ...this was my 1st Epi made product from Korea.  I'm happy you got the same results that I did with mine....I think the strings do help a bit being slightly larger,but I think the setup has more to do with it for the playing of it...I would actually put this up against an American made one in a blind listening test...I have an older (70's) small acoustic parlor Epi that is an still going strong but was made in Japan.....Hope all of the others get theirs soon and get the same results as we did....!

And so castles made of sand melts into the sea, eventually.........

Mine arrived yesterday afternoon. Interesting "new guitar smell". It looks very good. Initial inspection doesn't reveal anything out of wack so I am pleased.

I believe the strings are a set of 10-46's. That is what I normally use (Rotosound Yellows) and they feel the same. Someone else can either back me up or correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think so. A little suprising that the gauge size isn't mentioned in the specs, but oh well.

I have never had a fat neck like this one before. That may take a little getting used to, but it plays nice and sounds good accoustically. Definitely not a light weight so I am expecting some good sounds when it gets plugged in. It needs to aclimate a few days before that happens.

Overall, I am pleased and I hope everyone else will be too. My wife did notice the pink interior of the case and looked at me a little strangely??????????. lol

Nothin' but the Blues

Sjmckean wrote:

I was wondering if the strings were mounted normally as shown in the promo pics or top wrapped as on the custom shop JBLPs. If the former, I would suggest top wrapping when you change out the strings. Go with an 11-52 or 11-54 set. Mine was ordered through AMS so I likely won't be holding it for another couple of weeks.

Major Tom to ground control...

The strings mounted the regular way on the EPI model .......unlike the wrap over on the JBLP models.
I might change it when I change the strings...but why mess with it since it sounds so good already with the great factory setup?
Do you think it would make that much difference in the tone & sustain?

airportdon wrote:

The strings mounted the regular way on the EPI model .......unlike the wrap over on the JBLP models.
I might change it when I change the strings...but why mess with it since it sounds so good already with the great factory setup?

Not a player but when we showed the new burst to Joe in Bonn, he said right off the strings were not top wrapped and he would call the factory and get it corrected. Must mean something if he feels that is so important.

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

A guy is selling one of his - I thought somebody might be interested:

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/member- … -ohsc.html

Just an FYI for dknight16 and anyone else who cares - the EPI's are made in China, but set up in Kansas. Good job on mine. I am very happy. smile

Nothin' but the Blues

lvbluesboy wrote:

Just an FYI for dknight16 and anyone else who cares - the EPI's are made in China, but set up in Kansas. Good job on mine. I am very happy. smile

Yes you are correct made in China.....China probably owns Gibson (just kidding).....Set up in Kansas-I thought that was the warehouse shipping location...Not set up in Nashville???

Hmmmmm, you may be right about the setup. It did ship from Kansas. That's what I get for assuming again. wink  We all know what that means. lol

Maybe I'll just keep my mouth shut after this.......

Nothin' but the Blues

103 (edited by eldoubleu 2010-12-30 14:20:47)

lvbluesboy wrote:

Mine arrived yesterday afternoon. Interesting "new guitar smell". It looks very good. Initial inspection doesn't reveal anything out of wack so I am pleased.

I believe the strings are a set of 10-46's. That is what I normally use (Rotosound Yellows) and they feel the same. Someone else can either back me up or correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think so. A little suprising that the gauge size isn't mentioned in the specs, but oh well.

I have never had a fat neck like this one before. That may take a little getting used to, but it plays nice and sounds good accoustically. Definitely not a light weight so I am expecting some good sounds when it gets plugged in. It needs to aclimate a few days before that happens.

Overall, I am pleased and I hope everyone else will be too. My wife did notice the pink interior of the case and looked at me a little strangely??????????. lol

String specs from the Gibson web site:
Strings     .010 - .046, Swedish stell "hex" core

Ordered mine from Guitar Center today- they show them -In Stock- on their web site.

airportdon wrote:

Isn't the entire issue of ordering one of these to try and get as close to an exact replica of one of Joe's personal guitars?
His are top wrapped so bending that 11-52 set feels more like 10-46s. If you like the Gibson strings and the setup the way it came, that's great. I still want to put a Bigsby on mine tho.  big_smile

Major Tom to ground control...

I just put new 10 - 46's on and wrapped the strings over the tail piece.  I had to adjust the intonation slightly on the D, G, B, and E, but low E and A were still right on.

One thing I noticed on mine, if you look down the neck from the top, the headstock seems "twisted".  My other Epi LP Classic (thinner neck) is not like this.  Does anyone else see this on yours?  I'll post pics soon to show what I mean.

2011 Gibson Joe Bonamassa Les Paul Studio Gold Top, 2010 Epi Joe Bonamassa Les Paul Gold Top, 2010 Epi Les Paul Standard '57 Gold Top, 2010 Epi Les Paul Standard Honey Burst (autographed by Joe Bonamassa), 2006 Epi Les Paul Classic Quilt top, 2004 Eric Clapton Strat, 1989 First wife

The headstock & neck on mine is fine I just checked it out & it plays great....must have got a good one from the factory. I had one like that years ago on a Gibson and it went back to the dealer.. (I Don't know why yours is like that.) So with the strings over the Tailpiece has it increased the sustain at all....I will not change out the strings and convert it for a while.

107 (edited by Sjmckean 2010-12-30 17:39:45)

airportdon wrote:

The headstock & neck on mine is fine I just checked it out & it plays great....must have got a good one from the factory. I had one like that years ago on a Gibson and it went back to the dealer.. (I Don't know why yours is like that.) So with the strings over the Tailpiece has it increased the sustain at all....I will not change out the strings and convert it for a while.

Back to the dealer, huh?  Not good.  I don't notice much difference with sustain.  i did notice that the bridge and tail piece are tight on the posts, more so than my other.  Maybe string transfer to body was already good enough.  How do I add pics to this forum?

108 (edited by Sjmckean 2010-12-30 18:51:04)

http://s541.photobucket.com/albums/gg39 … C00194.jpg

Notice how it seems "skewed?