Re: New Epiphones starting to appear?

Hi Crowy. Welcome, mate.

I see you're from Sheff. I'm from just the other side of the M1 near M'hall.
My Epi is giving me some fret buzz and it's not going away so I need to get it set up.

Do you have any recommendations for places to take it?
I was going to go to Wizard, but I've since heard they aren't very good.
Currently trying to get in touch with a luthier in Donny (assoc. with Electro Music) who seems to have a very good rep.

Cheers.

What The Fuzz ?!

Have you checked the truss rod? The neck on mine had no relief whatsoever.

543 (edited by YorkieDav 2011-07-08 06:33:43)

DandyDan wrote:

Have you checked the truss rod? The neck on mine had no relief whatsoever.

I'm almost sure that's the problem as mine is as flat as a pancake too.
I reckon that, after spending £500 on this, the least I can do is get it set up by a pro.
If I do it, I'll end up busting something.

EDIT: For anyone interested, Electro Music in Doncaster are actually listing these as 'in stock'
http://www.electromusic.co.uk/Epiphone- … -Gold.html

What The Fuzz ?!

YorkieDav,

Stuart at Electro is very good. However unless the nut needs cutting you don't really need a luthier to do a setup IMHO.

The specs are on Gibson's website and you just need a couple of spare hours, some flat head screwdrivers for the bridge & tailpiece, a feeler gauge for the action and an allen for the truss rod (clockwise to make straighter so anticlockwise for relief).

Its useful to be able to do your own as you can work out what sort of setup works for you and compensate for changes caused by trying different string guages etc. I find I like my strats and lp's setup different in terms of action and relief for example.

545 (edited by YorkieDav 2011-07-08 07:44:42)

Thanks dave.

I understand what you mean and, normally, I'd have a pop at it. However, I tried the same job once on my cheapo strat and now it's all over the place. I should really take that in for a setup job too, but it'll have to wait a while.

If Stuart is willing to do it, and has the time, then I'm willing to pay him. His rates look really rather good too.  That way, I'll also get to play my first properly set up guitar!

EDIT:

It seems you potentially get a lot of work for relatively little outlay (from Stuart's website)...

ELECTRIC SETUP
Electric without locking trem   £35 + strings
Electric with locking trem   £40 + strings
Bass Guitar  £35 + strings

Setups include:

Full assessment of instrument.
Check hardware, machine heads, bridge, neck bolts, strap buttons, etc.
Adjustment of truss rod for correct neck relief.
Re-cut top nut, shim if required.
Set playing action.
Set intonation using strobe tuner.
Clean and treat fingerboard.
Polish frets.
Restring.

It'd be rude not to take him up on it actually.
Still, I bet he could knock jobs like this off in his sleep.

What The Fuzz ?!

The neck on mine received this week was completely flat also, slackened truss rod off approx quarter turn which has put a very small dip in it which has improved rattles, was going to leave it a week and see how it feels
I'm guessing it has come with 10's string set
Mines in Yorks too!

547 (edited by PSmith1946 2011-07-08 11:29:13)

After a couple of weeks mine is going to go for set up next week. Rattles E and A for first three frets. Not bad but the bridge has been adjusted very high at the factory to compensate. It's going to Reidys at Blackburn unless anyone has any stories about them. Set up is £25 plus strings which seems cheap to me. Any info would be helpful.

Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)

YorkieDav wrote:

It'd be rude not to take him up on it actually.
Still, I bet he could knock jobs like this off in his sleep.

Yep very good price given that it includes sorting out the nut in the price if necessary smile

YorkieDav wrote:

Hi Crowy. Welcome, mate.

I see you're from Sheff. I'm from just the other side of the M1 near M'hall.
My Epi is giving me some fret buzz and it's not going away so I need to get it set up.

Do you have any recommendations for places to take it?
I was going to go to Wizard, but I've since heard they aren't very good.
Currently trying to get in touch with a luthier in Donny (assoc. with Electro Music) who seems to have a very good rep.

Cheers.

Hiya mate, ya i live in Hillsborough so not far at all, Not sure about in sheffeild but ive had my previous guitars into eloctro music in donny, they are really good and have a good history so would recomend them, if all else fails my mate knows some one who would do it, just let me know if you needs details, but i would defo say electro.

Mine had a slight fret buzz and i was advised to try some 11 strings after a good play it seemed to ease up and go, so maybe try that first and give it a couple of weeks.

let me know how you get on mate. take care

Axes: Joe Bonamassa Epi LP, Gibson 50's Tribute Honeyburst, Epiphone Goldtop LP, Epiphone Black Beauty LP, Westfield 335, Rockinbetter 360, Vintage 50's Goldtop, Gould reverse Firebird and Squire Strat

550 (edited by Jonamassa 2011-07-08 19:26:14)

Met Joe tonight at the sunflower jam at the royal Albert hall. I asked him if he would sign my c.o.a, at which he looked surprised and said he had already signed it once! I explained that some people thought they were copies, but he said it was totally genuine. He signed it for me again anyway. What a nice guy, and a great performance tonight.

Took mine to Electro this morning...Stuart is so busy it could be away from home for 7-10 days yikes
It felt really odd leaving it with someone else. What's that all about?

What The Fuzz ?!

YorkieDav wrote:

Took mine to Electro this morning...Stuart is so busy it could be away from home for 7-10 days yikes

I know it's really hard to do with your fave axe, but just think what it will be like when it comes back. but at least youve taken it to a reputable shop and person too.

let me know what its like when you get it back :-)

Axes: Joe Bonamassa Epi LP, Gibson 50's Tribute Honeyburst, Epiphone Goldtop LP, Epiphone Black Beauty LP, Westfield 335, Rockinbetter 360, Vintage 50's Goldtop, Gould reverse Firebird and Squire Strat

Jonamassa wrote:

Met Joe tonight at the sunflower jam at the royal Albert hall. I asked him if he would sign my c.o.a, at which he looked surprised and said he had already signed it once! I explained that some people thought they were copies, but he said it was totally genuine. He signed it for me again anyway. What a nice guy, and a great performance tonight.

I've had two of these guitars and the signatures were different (no two signatures are exactly the same).  I don't understand why people thought they were copies.  Maybe he should have used different style pens.

2011 Gibson Joe Bonamassa Les Paul Studio Gold Top, 2010 Epi Joe Bonamassa Les Paul Gold Top, 2010 Epi Les Paul Standard '57 Gold Top, 2010 Epi Les Paul Standard Honey Burst (autographed by Joe Bonamassa), 2006 Epi Les Paul Classic Quilt top, 2004 Eric Clapton Strat, 1989 First wife

Crowy79 wrote:
YorkieDav wrote:

I know it's really hard to do with your fave axe, but just think what it will be like when it comes back. but at least youve taken it to a reputable shop and person too.

let me know what its like when you get it back :-)

That's reassuring. Ta. smile

What The Fuzz ?!

Jonamassa wrote:

If anyone wants to hear my new Epiphone in action, please follow the link below.

That is damn good my friend, damn good. And the guitar is pretty sweet to.

"Sometimes I get that feeling, that I'm different from the rest" - JB

Very nice Jonomassa!  You were playing in A, was that a Mixolydian scale scale you were playing in E?  That was a nice contrast.  Good job.

2011 Gibson Joe Bonamassa Les Paul Studio Gold Top, 2010 Epi Joe Bonamassa Les Paul Gold Top, 2010 Epi Les Paul Standard '57 Gold Top, 2010 Epi Les Paul Standard Honey Burst (autographed by Joe Bonamassa), 2006 Epi Les Paul Classic Quilt top, 2004 Eric Clapton Strat, 1989 First wife

YorkieDav wrote:

Now you know why Joe calls his guitars "his children". I think I'd feel the same way as you and I have yet to learn how to play mine! I'll be interested to hear whether you think the set up is worthwhile and good value as mine may require similar.

Thanks
Phil

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

“The guy who has helped the blues industry the most is Joe Bonamassa and I would say he is more rock than some rock stuff, so to me blues is whatever you want it to be!”
Simon McBride in my interview with him in Blues Matters! Issue #56

Wooders wrote:
YorkieDav wrote:

Now you know why Joe calls his guitars "his children". I think I'd feel the same way as you and I have yet to learn how to play mine! I'll be interested to hear whether you think the set up is worthwhile and good value as mine may require similar.

Thanks
Phil

Yeah, I'll let you know the result.
I'm in no way a guitar player. A noodler at best who can sometimes string half a dozen notes together, but not a player.

I need lessons sad

What The Fuzz ?!