Re: New Epiphones starting to appear?

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Hey guys..
    Eish... Those Comments about the Epi JB model will wake you up in the morning..  I don't know why people feel the need to bad mouth something they have never seen or played.   My favorite quote is " Joe- corporate rock Whore who cant write a song -Bonamassa.  That was really lovely especially around the holidays.  So I felt the need to kind of set the record straight why we are doing these in the first place.  I wanted Kids and those who dont have 3999.00 to spend on a guitar to have a chance get a gold top similar to the ones I use everyday.  I have the prototype and its ace.  The guitars are like 699 street.  I spoke to Gibson about the amount of request for a more affordable model and they were nice enough at Gibson/Epiphone to do this.  I really stand by the quality of these things.  They play great and from the few I have seen are really consistent.  For those who take cheap shots at something they don't get or haven't seen.. I mean I think you are better than that really.. I wouldn't do that..  Mom and Dad raised me better. Why waste the cyber trees.. Just shhhhhhhh
Thanks
JB

Hey Joe thanks for doing this,always remember ,if you have a internet site you'll always have nay-sayer's. Thanks for playing Nashville,you brought my boy right back by my side for that show,AWESOME to say the least.And for signing his Tele.,a true gentleman.  OK here's the thing,the new Epip.,yeah many thanks to you and Gibson/Epiphone,I reckon I'm a 56 year old kid cause mine's been on order for close to 2 months. Just got a new delivery date of 1-10-11.

I used to have the motto of "Epiphone is Greek for regret".  Now, I have owned two of them and being that they cost a fraction of what my gibbos cost, well, I got a fraction of the quality.  Now these were just regular Epi standard and their 56 GT.  The Standard actually was a very nice playing guitar, but the PUP's were punk ****.  Pickup upgrade, and BAM, great guit.  The 56 GT however I must say felt weird in my hands... like it was not even made of wood... cannot explain (why did I buy it? to impress some girl who loved guys who played gold tops and it was the only GT I could afford... lesson learned). 

Anyhow, this was in the roaring 90's when nobody was really endorsing Epi electrics.  I trust Joe and his hands and ears, and also his brain.  I believe it will be a fine instrument at a good price, and if Epi was smart, it should drop all other LP's and just mass produce the JB model.  I hope Joe will do some demo videos of the guit to shut the nay sayers.

Amp: Firebird Musical Amplifiers
Guitars:62 LP SG , 02 FB VII, JB FB I, 76 Electra Omega, 64 Firebird V, 73 LPC, 61 Custom Tele, 59 and 60 Melody Maker
Effects: Mythos Chupacabra, Strymon Deco/Flint

And THAT is how to take the high road.   Awesome.

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Hey guys..
    Eish... Those Comments about the Epi JB model will wake you up in the morning..  I don't know why people feel the need to bad mouth something they have never seen or played.   My favorite quote is " Joe- corporate rock Whore who cant write a song -Bonamassa.  That was really lovely especially around the holidays.  So I felt the need to kind of set the record straight why we are doing these in the first place.  I wanted Kids and those who dont have 3999.00 to spend on a guitar to have a chance get a gold top similar to the ones I use everyday.  I have the prototype and its ace.  The guitars are like 699 street.  I spoke to Gibson about the amount of request for a more affordable model and they were nice enough at Gibson/Epiphone to do this.  I really stand by the quality of these things.  They play great and from the few I have seen are really consistent.  For those who take cheap shots at something they don't get or haven't seen.. I mean I think you are better than that really.. I wouldn't do that..  Mom and Dad raised me better. Why waste the cyber trees.. Just shhhhhhhh
Thanks
JB

Joe,

You're seriously one of the classiest guys I've never met. Glad that you're making your guitar available to starving college students like me and below.

Thanks,
Ron

StratLovesLenny wrote:

Joe,

You're seriously one of the classiest guys I've never met. Glad that you're making your guitar available to starving college students like me and below.

Thanks,
Ron

I completely agree! Starving is an understatement, I haven't seen money in weeks!

Can't wait to get the Epi version in my hands.

Please, call me Austin.
My Gear List

Well, I can't explain why so many guys over at the Gibson website feel the need to talk bad about something they never had in their hands - I'm not a psychiatrist (but I guess a psychiatrist's first question would be something like "How is your relationship with your mother?"). wink

But I can tell you about the Epiphone LP that I bought last year. It's an "Epiphone Les Paul Standard 1959" (the 50th Anniversary model, limited to 1959 pieces for each color) and it seems to be a lot like Joe's signature model by Epiphone. Here are the specifications:

Body Material:         Mahogany
Top Material:         Carved Hard Maple Cap with AAA Flame Maple Veneer
Neck Material:         Mahogany
Neck Shape:         1950's Rounded "D" profile
Neck Joint:         "Deep-Set" Glued-In
Fingerboard:         Rosewood with pearloid "Trapezoid" inlays
Neck Pickup:         Gibson USA Burstbucker 2
Bridge Pickup:         Gibson USA Burstbucker 3
Controls:         Bridge Volume, Neck Volume, Bridge Tone w/Mallory-150 capacitors, Neck Tone w/Mallory-150 capacitors, Switchcraft 3-way toggle
Binding:         Body and Fingerboard
Fingerboard Radius:     14"
Frets:             22; medium-jumbo
Bridge:             LockTone tune-o-matic/stopbar
Hardware:         Nickel
Machine Heads:         Vintage Style, 14:1 ratio with "tulip" buttons
Colors:             Faded Cherryburst (FC), Faded Iced Tea (FT)
Includes:         Hard Case, Certificate of Authenticity
Warranty:         Epiphone Limited Lifetime

I'm far from being a Les Paul expert, but I'd say this is a very good guitar for the price (around 598 Euros at the moment). The setup was perfect right away. The string height was very low but there was no fret buzz. Intonation was perfect, too. The only thing I did to the setup was to increase the string height (I don't like it that low)...

If you look at the specifications, you could say that you almost get a real Gibson LP Standard for a third of the price. You get original Gibson Burstbucker pickups, quality controls, quality hardware, a long neck tenon and a thick maple cap.

OK, there's a veneer on top of the maple cap, but that shouldn't make a difference to the sound. It's just for the looks. The maple cap might be made of more than two pieces and the body is made of four pieces of mahogany (it's very hard to see - there seems to be a mahogany veneer on the back, so you can only see it if you check the lower end of the body). More pieces of wood could affect the sustain, but I'm really happy with the sustain of my Epi LP.

What else is different from the original? There's a rather thick layer of lacquer on the body (no nitro), the headstock is not as pretty as the Gibson headstock and it has "Epiphone" written on it. That's all I can think of. Anybody know something else?

If you want some opinions on this guitar I recommend the MyLesPaul forum (www.mylespaul.com). In the beginning (when the guitar was not yet available) there was a lot of scepticism. But now there are quite some people who have bought such a guitar and say that they compare really well to their original Gibson LPs! And I'm sure Joe's Epi Goldtops will be in the same class.

I think the key thing to do (with any guitar) is to test it in a shop and maybe compare it to other guitars before you buy it.

Have fun,

Rusty

"Tradition is not worshipping the ashes, but carrying the fire."

I think I may have to invest in one of these! Bought a new Fender Strat a couple of months a go moving on from my old Epi SG and said I wouldn't get another Epi but this has changed things! Never had any problems with the SG but it didn't work for me sound wise, however this seems to be of really good quality and the pickups seem to be some of the best available in an Epi (can anyone confirm this?!). Plus the guitar is just good lookin'!!! Thank god for 0% finance is all I can say!

markjwiggins wrote:

I think I may have to invest in one of these! Bought a new Fender Strat a couple of months a go moving on from my old Epi SG and said I wouldn't get another Epi but this has changed things! Never had any problems with the SG but it didn't work for me sound wise, however this seems to be of really good quality and the pickups seem to be some of the best available in an Epi (can anyone confirm this?!). Plus the guitar is just good lookin'!!! Thank god for 0% finance is all I can say!

re: PICKUPS - they are some of the best available in GIBSON guitars, as far as i am concerned.  they are my favorite humbuckers, actually. tongue

michaeljohn wrote:

if anyone is interested i got a great price of $599 from Nick over at monmouth music in red bank, nj.  he ALWAYS slays everyone else if you're buying gibson or epi. . . .

anyway. . . should be about a month away.

peace - michaeljohn

That's an unbelievable price!!!  I'd love to buy it for that price, but I doubt they would want to ship to Wisconsin... and if they did, who knows how much shipping would be.  I'll have to check and see if any shops here will get their hands on any of the JB Epi's.  How did you know they would have them?  Did you go ask?

46 (edited by Sjmckean 2010-12-09 19:41:33)

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Hey guys..
    Eish... Those Comments about the Epi JB model will wake you up in the morning..  I don't know why people feel the need to bad mouth something they have never seen or played.   My favorite quote is " Joe- corporate rock Whore who cant write a song -Bonamassa.  That was really lovely especially around the holidays.  So I felt the need to kind of set the record straight why we are doing these in the first place.  I wanted Kids and those who dont have 3999.00 to spend on a guitar to have a chance get a gold top similar to the ones I use everyday. 
JB

Joe, there is no need to explain.  I have an Epi LP quilt top that "Gibson" friends have played and are amazed at how much it sounds and plays like a Gibson.  Gibson Standards are "hit and miss" until you start looking at the high end (expensive) models, but I've never played a bad Epi.  They are well built.  I pre-ordered my Epi JBLP, and to be honest with you, I'm excited to feel excited to play it!  If that makes sense.
  I've played for about 20 years on and off, and the "on" times happen when I'm psyched about  great new music.  And for the last 5 years or so, that's been you.  I met you the first time when you opened for BB with Kenny Wayne Shephard.  While waiting to meet B, you and KWS were
talking to my wife and I.  That night was my introduction to your music and I was floored! 
Thank you for your music and the inspiration!  And thank you for the guitar!  I can't wait to get mine!

Shayne McKean

BTW, what's your policy on signing the JBLP's?  I've seen you play in the Hampton Roads area (Jewish Mother was the BEST show) about 5 times, and I've seen people bring guitars to the show.  Do you sign them?

2011 Gibson Joe Bonamassa Les Paul Studio Gold Top, 2010 Epi Joe Bonamassa Les Paul Gold Top, 2010 Epi Les Paul Standard '57 Gold Top, 2010 Epi Les Paul Standard Honey Burst (autographed by Joe Bonamassa), 2006 Epi Les Paul Classic Quilt top, 2004 Eric Clapton Strat, 1989 First wife

TrueBlueDrew wrote:

That's an unbelievable price!!!  I'd love to buy it for that price, but I doubt they would want to ship to Wisconsin... and if they did, who knows how much shipping would be.  I'll have to check and see if any shops here will get their hands on any of the JB Epi's.  How did you know they would have them?  Did you go ask?

American Musical Supply (an Internet retailer) is currently offering free shipping.

Gibson 60th Anniversary 1959 Les Paul Reissue, Gibson LP Standard Faded CSB, Gibson Gary Moore LP Standard, Epi Joe Bonamassa GT LP, Epi Zakk Wylde LP, Dean Michael Schenker Flying V, Jackson Randy Rhoads V, ESP/LTD George Lynch Kamikaze, EVH Striped Series R/B/W, Fender/Squire John 5 Telecaster, Fender Joe Strummer Relic Telecaster

TrueBlueDrew wrote:
michaeljohn wrote:

if anyone is interested i got a great price of $599 from Nick over at monmouth music in red bank, nj.  he ALWAYS slays everyone else if you're buying gibson or epi. . . .

anyway. . . should be about a month away.

peace - michaeljohn

(732) 747-8888

call 'em.  ask for nick.  i told him i'd try to send some folks his way.  he's never even heard joe!!!!  that will last less than a month. .. .

tell him i sent you.

michael john rowley

Here's something thats really starting to make me wonder. Only 1000.  neutral  If you look at this site,the different LP site's where so many folks have them pre-ordered,then take in all the good folks oversea's, YIKE'S man I hope mine come's in.

Jerrdogg wrote:

Here's something thats really starting to make me wonder. Only 1000.  neutral  If you look at this site,the different LP site's where so many folks have them pre-ordered,then take in all the good folks oversea's, YIKE'S man I hope mine come's in.

Yeah I was starting to wonder the same! Not many for all the interest! Most UK sites have them at £499, it seems so cheap its almost too good!

markjwiggins wrote:
Jerrdogg wrote:

Yeah I was starting to wonder the same! Not many for all the interest! Most UK sites have them at £499, it seems so cheap its almost too good!

When I ordered mine from DV247.com they were saying "ships in 3-12 days" (yeah, right!).
Then I got my order confirmed email which I assume means that they have allocated me one from their initial shipment from Epi.
On their site now it says "not in stock, call for info".  Looks as if they may be down to limited numbers already.

What The Fuzz ?!

Best get my arse in gear and get one ordered then! I'm still not 100% sure but I know I'll be gutted if I miss out!

YorkieDav wrote:
markjwiggins wrote:
Jerrdogg wrote:

When I ordered mine from DV247.com they were saying "ships in 3-12 days" (yeah, right!).
Then I got my order confirmed email which I assume means that they have allocated me one from their initial shipment from Epi.
On their site now it says "not in stock, call for info".  Looks as if they may be down to limited numbers already.

DV247 have 10 on order  mine was number 8 of those allocated last week.

Current word on delivery is Jan 2011 to Holland ..a week or so later to the UK

Might see if  can transfer my order to the Arts Council "Take it Away" scheme in the interim ..seems a shame to miss a Government sponsered 0%^ deal.

dave_5150,
When did you place your order?
Mine was confirmed on 5th Nov.

How did you get the info from DV247?

What The Fuzz ?!