Re: Anyone for Golf ?

Wow. Sergio still blathering about how much he hates Tiger after the incident yesterday. Commentators showed the film at the time and Tiger took the club out of his bag no where near Sergio; crowd erupted and bothered Sergio. Three tied for lead, luckily for Sergio he's not paired with Tiger.

Alan

What aurprised me was that not only did Sergio complain on Saturday but he carried it over to Sunday. I'm sure he either saw the tape or heard Tiger saying a Marshall told him Sergio had hit. So let it go? Nope again Sunday we hear "I don't like Tiger".

Crowds are out of control. It should be just like a football game, no liquor served after a certain point. Although I heard someone yelled out "Sergio - there's water on the left" after his second ball in the water. Tin Cup volume 2! Sergio needs to grow up and take responsibility for his own game.

And in retrospect Tiger would have had five wins and a major this year aside from him hitting a flagstick at the Masters.

Alan

Haven't watched at all - still getting over Joe from last night. The Tiger thing is a he said/ he said. Tiger claims a Marshall told him to hit. The head of the Marshalls calls Tiger a liar who will do anything to win. Yesterday two Marshalls indeed claim they DID tell Tiger (who could not see nor hear Sergio) that it was OK to hit. The head of the Marshalls owes Tiger an apology IMHO. All I can say is Tiger is good for attendance and TV ratings.

Alan

You have to remember that a marshall is not a tour official. Marshalls are the guys holding the signs that say quiet. RIP Ken Venturi. Off to try to get 18 in this morning, playing some pretty good golf over the last week shot a 37-39 on Thursday, if I could putt it would have been lower.

sniff wrote:

You have to remember that a marshall is not a tour official. Marshalls are the guys holding the signs that say quiet. RIP Ken Venturi. Off to try to get 18 in this morning, playing some pretty good golf over the last week shot a 37-39 on Thursday, if I could putt it would have been lower.

Absolutely and that's why - I assume - the head of the marshalls was so righteous in saying no one did.  Only when the marshall admitted it that the "truth" came to light.

You're a lot better than I ever was.  My lowest round I believe was 82 (cape may, nj) and more likely had a 14 handicap when I played every week or more.

Alan

That's correct. I'm on my way to Boston for two concerts but hope to catch some of the golf. I believe I can stream it on my iPad.

Tiger said his argument is over although he said Sergio isn't at the Memorial to do it in person. Only an incident like this can turn Tiger into a sympathetic figure. We're going to the US Open in two weeks and it should be interesting to see a Northeast crowd get on Sergio.

Alan

ahsmith33 wrote:

I didn't think the fried chicken thing was even worth talking about. We already knew that Sergio was a whiny little turd, now we find out he is just plain racist. No side dishes?? What happened to the grits and collard greens Sergio? In the heat of the moment he showed his true colors. Tiger can forget about the back and forth banter and just keep playing good, solid golf.

Agreed. Sergio lost most of us when first of all the replay showed he had NOT begun his swing and secondly continued to whine long past any real norm. It remains to be seen if Taylor Made continues to endorse a whiny brat - at age 32.

Alan

Schwartzel leading with an impressive 7 under. Tiger was up and down and ended 1 under. Not sure if my hotel gets The Golf Channel. Too busy looking around and heading out to Boston Rising benefit

Alan

I don't follow golf all the time, however I am interested in the upcoming US Open, since it is taking place 10 minutes from where I grew up and one of my younger brothers lives in Merion's neighborhood. He's doesn't live on the course and isn't in one of the monster houses.

Locally, its interesting to read how folks in his neighborhood are renting their homes for huge sums of money!! Its hard to imagine how this area will handle the traffic. This area is just outside of Philly, the roads were built long ago before the big push to suburban living; it is congested on a normal day even before rush hour.

My hubby & son are attending the practice session on Wed. June 12th, they are looking forward to it.

Outside of the Americans and I don't root for Tiger anymore, I am a fan of Rory's.  Golf is probably the most frustrating sport ever, (my husband recently got back into golf, I can't believe how obsessed he is with this club, that club and where the damn ball went, when it landed someplace different than yesterday!!) Anyway, it looks like Rory has been really struggling. Just curious and with limited knowledge...should he go back to his old clubs?? lol Or maybe the clubs have nothing to do with his situation, especially if he has golfed well with them...

StringsforaCURE~Helping cancer patients one STRING at a time.
http://stringsforacure.com/

Angela wrote:

I don't follow golf all the time, however I am interested in the upcoming US Open, since it is taking place 10 minutes from where I grew up and one of my younger brothers lives in Merion's neighborhood. He's doesn't live on the course and isn't in one of the monster houses.

Locally, its interesting to read how folks in his neighborhood are renting their homes for huge sums of money!! Its hard to imagine how this area will handle the traffic. This area is just outside of Philly, the roads were built long ago before the big push to suburban living; it is congested on a normal day even before rush hour.

My hubby & son are attending the practice session on Wed. June 12th, they are looking forward to it.

Outside of the Americans and I don't root for Tiger anymore, I am a fan of Rory's.  Golf is probably the most frustrating sport ever, (my husband recently got back into golf, I can't believe how obsessed he is with this club, that club and where the damn ball went, when it landed someplace different than yesterday!!) Anyway, it looks like Rory has been really struggling. Just curious and with limited knowledge...should he go back to his old clubs?? lol Or maybe the clubs have nothing to do with his situation, especially if he has golfed well with them...

I'd guess most of Rory's problems are mental. The clubs the pros use bear little resemblance to those the public can buy. I've heard multiple explanations of his bad play; one of which is he's just not hungry enough with his girlfriend distractions.

We're going to the Open and will boo the heck out of baby man Sergio.

And yes golf is all consuming.  My partner Christine took it up last year although hasn't become obsessed with clubs yet thankfully.  One member of the family buying new equipment is enough.  I gave her some of my "old ones" and she bought a set of irons and putter last year and is taking lessons.

Alan

ahsmith33 wrote:

Merion is a great course from what I remember watching with my dad long ago, looking forward to it. That is the course with the funky pin covers, very original imo. Only Rory knows or can guess if it's a club change that is needed. personally, I think he's in loooove with her and maybe doesn't know how to pop the question. thank God I only play on Tiger's video game now, gave it up a long time ago for raising children. No time, and no money for it.

Angela wrote:

My son is grown (24) so it's music and golf (hopefully soon)

Alan

ahsmith33 wrote:

congrats to The University of Alabama on winning the NCAA golf championship, 4-1 over Illinois this weekend. This is our first ever golf title, had a chance last year and folded to Texas on the last day.
congrats to Matt Kuchar as well on winning the Memorial. My man Russell Henley (rookie) out of Georgia had a great tournament and took home a substantial paycheck.

Kooch!

Alan

We leave tomorrow for Merion. Of course the hotel we picked a year ago when tickets went on sale is a half hour from the parking lot. This always happens, they don't announce where the parking lots are in time to book a nearby hotel. Hey it is what it is

We've got our golf rain suits. Waterproof shoes. Large umbrella, US Open chairs (from 2002. My first Open) and assorted other gear. Our dog sitter cancelled so the two dogs get to come with us. Off tomorrow and hope to get most purchasing we didn't do in advance done tomorrow and scout the course for handicapped areas so I don't need to climb grandstand steps. Last minute packing and we're off tomorrow. No cell phones so I may post at night. Hopefully no one runs away with it like Congressional.

Tiger, Rory and Adam should be some threesome for two days. And per Tiger Sergio STILL hasn't apologized despite the handshake aired. Sergio is going to hear it from the Northeast crowd

Alan

I was in Ardmore last night. I feel so bad that mother nature is being so cruel!!!! My brother said a creek overflowed nearby, the groundskeepers have their work cut out for them.

I was wondering, do these events always have a no cell phone policy or is this because of events in Boston? You have to leave them in your car, you can't have phones on you at the check points even if they are off.

My nephew saw Brandt Snedekar in a restaurant last night and their friend spotted Mickelson having breakfast. The neighborhood is very festive and there are tents EVERYWHERE!!! Looks to me like a lot of partying will be going on...its been over thirty years since the US Open has been at Merion. I'm enjoying reading about the back history of the course and how different golfers have performed.

As a sidenote, my daughter went to traffic court this morning for a speeding ticket, it was her first violation, she goes to college a couple miles from Ardmore.  Her goal was to get no points and just pay a fine. She got very lucky, her cop was a no-show, he was at the US Open!

195 (edited by bump827 2013-06-11 15:08:04)

Angela wrote:

I was in Ardmore last night. I feel so bad that mother nature is being so cruel!!!! My brother said a creek overflowed nearby, the groundskeepers have their work cut out for them.

I was wondering, do these events always have a no cell phone policy or is this because of events in Boston? You have to leave them in your car, you can't have phones on you at the check points even if they are off.

My nephew saw Brandt Snedekar in a restaurant last night and their friend spotted Mickelson having breakfast. The neighborhood is very festive and there are tents EVERYWHERE!!! Looks to me like a lot of partying will be going on...its been over thirty years since the US Open has been at Merion. I'm enjoying reading about the back history of the course and how different golfers have performed.

As a sidenote, my daughter went to traffic court this morning for a speeding ticket, it was her first violation, she goes to college a couple miles from Ardmore.  Her goal was to get no points and just pay a fine. She got very lucky, her cop was a no-show, he was at the US Open!

Cell phones  have been banned as long as I've attended US Opens - 2002 - although other tournaments like the Barclays Open allows them.  Security has always been stringent although Boston could make it harder. No large bags (luckily the chairs have straps) everyone wanded and small bads go through metal detectors. If memory serves me correct initial screening at parking lot followed by course entrance.

A novel thing about this course is they don't have pin flags; they have red baskets.  So folders can't guess the wind on the green  from the pin flags

Alan

https://twitter.com/McIlroyRory/status/ … 64/photo/1

https://twitter.com/Phillies/status/344 … 08/photo/1

Good Luck to Rory!

We tried to get to the course to just look around and get some souveniers. Finally fought ourselves into the tent and managed to find what we wanted while dodging the crowds taking shelter there. Just got back to our hotel and will watch balance of day on TV.  Tiger, Rory and Adam should go off around 5 as long as it doesn't rain again.

Alan

It looks like a monsoon has set in there. If it only rains hard, that will be the best to hope for. Have fun.
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381