Re: Joe and Jeff in Bonn, July 19

That look ment: "Hooray different setlist!".  big_smile
And Young Mens Blues is one of Sissy's favourites!
In Gent Joe opened with John Henry.
The Bonn gig was really different.

Here are a few photos from Bonn.
http://picasaweb.google.com/Elexmage/JoeAtBonn#
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

RickB wrote:

Rick

Nice pictures...

Music is good for the Soul...

RickB wrote:

Rick

Oh I like these pics Rick. It all looks such fun.

wow....great pics!!!!!!!   i watched the Young Man Blues video on utube last night and was wondering who that guy was that the camera went back and forth to!!!! hahaha now i know!!!!!  musta been a blast!!!!!!

RickB wrote:

Rick

rudy67 wrote:

wow....great pics!!!!!!!   i watched the Young Man Blues video on utube last night and was wondering who that guy was that the camera went back and forth to!!!! hahaha now i know!!!!!  musta been a blast!!!!!!

RickB wrote:

Rick

Pete gave me my 5 minutes of fame for bringing him his Bonaburst.  smile

Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

61 (edited by Blues Sissi 2010-07-24 05:23:51)

The Bonn gig was different.
Gent was wonderful but day and night in Bonn was pure magic.  cool  big_smile  cool

So far I hadn't had the time to write a review myself from the 3 J's in Bonn, but I found one I like and let Google work to translate. German bonabuddies: just follow the link, it's in German.

http://www.musiker-board.de/mb-reporter … platz.html

Gig Review
Jeff Beck, Joe Bonamassa, Jimmy Bowskill - 19.07.10 Bonn, Museum Square

Hi,

I want to give you a short impression of the three JBs concert last Monday in Bonn.

A brief introduction: During the last 30 years, I attended many concerts and have seen a lot of very well-known artists and bands, which are partly no longer active, have separated, or their band members are no longer among the living. For me Jeff Beck was one of the last great artists on the planet, which I had not yet seen live. I had not to think twice when I heard a few months ago that he was going to play some gigs in Germany. I hurried to buy a ticket to take the chance to see him (who knows how many times the opportunity will still come?).

And so 19 July 2010 came. The first hurdle was out weeks in advance. I could not take any leave and therefore had to work much earlier to finish at about 12:00. Inlet announced at 4:30, I had to sprint to travel the 180 km without traffic jams. The latter happened 30 km from the finish but I made it to the venue at about 4:00.

The gates opened punctually at 4:30 and I immediately went in front of the stage at the barrier fence. (Blues Sissi: so did Brenda and I. We nearly died of thirst cause we didn't dare to give up our front row place to get us something to drink before Joe finished his gig.) The following waiting period, I used to have a look at the Museum Square. The floor was covered with fine gravel and the roof consisted of a giant tarpaulin. The sides were open and despite the heat (29 ° celsius / 80 s), it was less hot than I feared. (Blues Sissi: it was hotter).

At 5:05 it finally started:

1st set: Jimmy Bowskill

A few minutes after 5:00 Jimmy and his band entered the stage. And before he and his boys played the first note, they threw a few t-shirts into the crowd. A short "Hello Bonn" and it started with blues rock full speed. I immediately thought, "hmm, he is so young  and even rocks off like an old stager". A very emotional music and his guitar playing was accompanied with a lot of facial expressions. I really liked it and it reminded me a bit of Gary Moore.

Musically very strong, minimalistic, high quality and worth seeing. Considering the age (Blues Sissi: after the event his drummer told us that Jimmy is 19 years old), there is a rough diamond on stage, which will undoubtedly surprise in the coming years. Sound was very aggressive, especially with songs that he played with his Tele, very toxic, but not annoying. All in all, an absolutely clean appearance. The boys had their fun and Jimmy had 50 minutes when the backstage staff notified him friendly yet determined that it was about time to come to an end. That meant the end of the first set of that night.

Not even 15 minutes later we continued with:

2nd set: Joe Bonamassa

After the stage was rebuilt in top pace by the road crew, Joe and his band showed up quickly on stage. The welcome of the audience was much more intense and louder than before with Jimmy Bowskill. Well, up to that point a live gig of Joe was absolutely new for me. I didn’t know more than a few YouTube videos of him.

And when he played the first song (Blues Sissi: young man blues), he had me under control within seconds. I was totally flashed by his guitar playing. To be honest, I had not expected such an enormous art. His playing style, his feeling and his sound simply let my jaw fall down. In these moments he had a new fan. And that is rather rare for me. And 'ne coole Sau isser auch“ with his maroon velvet suit (or whatever substance it was. Hey, I'm not a tailor, so forgive me if I am completely wrong). (Blues Sissi: I forgive him, suit was some shiny satin/silk fabric and google can't translate everything but "ne coole Sau" means a very cool guy)

Btw. Spotted VIP visitor Thomas Blug in the audience.

Joe often changed from a Les Paul to another and back again. Long driven ballads, played with incredible feeling and real groovy blues-rock alternated some 90 minutes ever again. I was really excited, also from the rest of the band. (Blues Sissi: yes.) And the audience felt the same way and would not let Joe finish the gig without an encore. They had not to ask him long and the gig ended with a "big thank you" to the audience. (Blues Sissi: as Bibi already said, the crowd made the hell of a noise to get Joe back on stage again and we were persistant enough, cause the DJ alread took over with music. But one couldn't ignore the "We want more" of thousands of voices, a newspaper in Bonn said about 3.500 people.) The band was obviously in good spirits and threw sticks and guitar picks and took some pictures of us. (Blues Sissi: and someone throw his sun glasses.  cool )

Approx. 7:35 , the stage crew had to prepare everything for the last gig of the evening.

The highlight of the evening was imminent.

3rd set: Jeff Beck

The audience’s mood heated more and more, for Jeff was long time coming, even though the stage has been ready well some 30 minutes. ‚Jeff Beck’ choirs sounded again and again and finally it was time. Jeff and the band came on stage and the enthusiasm in the audience knew no bounds. The man has an aura you nearly get a goose-flash. Something magical, that is probably due to decades of his uncommonly musical career. And there he is, the man who was on stage together with nearly all the great musicians of the planet.

Jeff strapped on his Stratocaster and let the strat „sing“ in the truest sense of the word. Hammer, what this man brings to the sound of a guitar. Musical enjoyment of its absolute best with a sound that give me chills down my spin. At some point someone once said to me ‚Jeff would be the Mozart of guitarists’. You can define it the way you want, but he is not completely wrong.

I have to give a special mention to Narada Michael Walden on drums. (Blues Sissi: That guy signed my ticket and a plastic cup someone gave me.) The whole evening he had a grin on his face (Blues Sissi: like Rick and the rest of us) as if it were the gig of his life. Groove in abundance and technically simply first class. Rhonda Smith on bass, many years on the road with Prince, with a superb solo part just in front of me. (Blues Sissi: „Rollin’ and tumblin“. That bass solo was mind-blowing. Unbelievable what Rhonda did with her thumbs on the bass and her voice.) Absolutely great this woman on the bass. Too bad that the man on the keyboard remained in the background, even if he had a huge console and made the sound for the Museum Square all alone with "people get ready".

All in all, it was a great performance, good music in a class of 90 minutes to beat, and frenetically celebrated by the audience.

(Blues Sissi: UUPPPSSS, forgot his conclusion)

My final conclusion for this evening:
"Real music by real Musicians". For only € 53.

PS: I never make a lot of photos and enjoy more the music. So do not mind that I have to offer not more pictures from Jeff.

Greetings
Klaus

What's missing is the setlist. So let's try to put it together.

Young man blues
Blue and evil
So many roads
Further on up the road
When the fire hits the sea

From here on I can't remember the order the songs were played.
It was hot and I was thursty and couldn't think anymore but still groove.

Bird on a wire
Steal your heart away
Mountain time
Sloe gin
Just got paid
So it's like that
Lonesome road blues

Did they play: Last kiss? In Gent it was played. In Bonn, I'm not sure.

Anything else?

Nearly forgot to say: Thank you to the band giving us heart and soul and rocking us the way you did in Bonn.  big_smile

63 (edited by RickB 2010-07-22 22:27:34)

Blues Sissi wrote:

What's missing is the setlist. So let's try to put it together.

Young man blues
Blue and evil
So many roads
Further on up the road
When the fire hits the sea

From here on I can't remember the order the songs were played.
It was hot and I was thursty and couldn't think anymore but still groove.

Bird on a wire
Steal your heart away
Mountain time
Sloe gin
Just got paid
So it's like that
Lonesome road blues

Did they play: Last kiss? In Gent it was played. In Bonn, I'm not sure.

Anything else?

Nearly forgot to say: Thank you to the band giving us heart and soul and rocking us the way you did in Bonn.  big_smile

Django led into Mountain Time. I think you are very close on the rest. I forgot my pen to write the list.
A big thanks to our anonymous Bonavirgin and your translation and editing Blues Sissi.
I will add that the body heat near stage front was wilting. When Pete and I finally gave out, it cooled very noticeably as we got out from under the big tent and out of the crowd.

...talking of Django/Mountain Time!... here just so happens is two of the best bits of music ever written!

...as performed by we know who!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yDtA4g6tbU

..again, being processed at the time of posting so check back later for the 1080p option... wide screen... soak it all up!  cool

Everyone is born a genius, but the process of living de-geniuses them.
R. Buckminster Fuller

65 (edited by Pete The Cabby 2010-07-23 03:05:27)

Rick... just noticed your pic`s!... `Lordy`... thats a blast from the very near past!... love the one of Outta ( <<spelling? ).... send me the last one please!... i`m going to print that off and have it by my PC.. to remind me every day.. of a very special day that will live with me for ever... thanks to you!.... if i had a pair of Tags and a few zips in the waistcoat i`d real cool instead of half cool!... lol!... until we meet again!... Mountain Time forever!  wink

....so glad Joe used his Bonaburst this time for this one!... makes it even more special.. will watch this vid` many times to come!... thank you Joe!... and you Rick!... login off before i go all emotional!

R. Buckminster Fuller

66 (edited by RickB 2010-07-23 03:51:04)

That's Utta Pete, a very dear and vibrant lady. (Ph.D too! with advanced studies in Bonamania)  I'll shoot ya the picture soon. I prize it as well. Did you realize that Joe walked over with his fav git and played Django right in front of us too?!  big_smile  Just another bit of magic.
Just noticed almost 1600 hits on this thread. Lots of fans shared our joy.  smile It was a very, very special day. cool
Rick

Blues Sissi wrote:

The Bonn gig was different.
Gent was wonderful but day and night in Bonn was pure magic.  cool  big_smile  cool

So far I hadn't had the time to write a review myself from the 3 J's in Bonn, but I found one I like and let Google work to translate. German bonabuddies: just follow the link, it's in German.

http://www.musiker-board.de/mb-reporter … platz.html

Gig Review
Jeff Beck, Joe Bonamassa, Jimmy Bowskill - 19.07.10 Bonn, Museum Square

Hi,

I want to give you a short impression of the three JBs concert last Monday in Bonn.

A brief introduction: During the last 30 years, I attended many concerts and have seen a lot of very well-known artists and bands, which are partly no longer active, have separated, or their band members are no longer among the living. For me Jeff Beck was one of the last great artists on the planet, which I had not yet seen live. I had not to think twice when I heard a few months ago that he was going to play some gigs in Germany. I hurried to buy a ticket to take the chance to see him (who knows how many times the opportunity will still come?).

And so 19 July 2010 came. The first hurdle was out weeks in advance. I could not take any leave and therefore had to work much earlier to finish at about 12:00. Inlet announced at 4:30, I had to sprint to travel the 180 km without traffic jams. The latter happened 30 km from the finish but I made it to the venue at about 4:00.

The gates opened punctually at 4:30 and I immediately went in front of the stage at the barrier fence. (Blues Sissi: so did Brenda and I. We nearly died of thirst cause we didn't dare to give up our front row place to get us something to drink before Joe finished his gig.) The following waiting period, I used to have a look at the Museum Square. The floor was covered with fine gravel and the roof consisted of a giant tarpaulin. The sides were open and despite the heat (29 ° celsius / 80 s), it was less hot than I feared. (Blues Sissi: it was hotter).

At 5:05 it finally started:

1st set: Jimmy Bowskill

A few minutes after 5:00 Jimmy and his band entered the stage. And before he and his boys played the first note, they threw a few t-shirts into the crowd. A short "Hello Bonn" and it started with blues rock full speed. I immediately thought, "hmm, he is so young  and even rocks off like an old stager". A very emotional music and his guitar playing was accompanied with a lot of facial expressions. I really liked it and it reminded me a bit of Gary Moore.

Musically very strong, minimalistic, high quality and worth seeing. Considering the age (Blues Sissi: after the event his drummer told us that Jimmy is 19 years old), there is a rough diamond on stage, which will undoubtedly surprise in the coming years. Sound was very aggressive, especially with songs that he played with his Tele, very toxic, but not annoying. All in all, an absolutely clean appearance. The boys had their fun and Jimmy had 50 minutes when the backstage staff notified him friendly yet determined that it was about time to come to an end. That meant the end of the first set of that night.

Not even 15 minutes later we continued with:

2nd set: Joe Bonamassa

After the stage was rebuilt in top pace by the road crew, Joe and his band showed up quickly on stage. The welcome of the audience was much more intense and louder than before with Jimmy Bowskill. Well, up to that point a live gig of Joe was absolutely new for me. I didn’t know more than a few YouTube videos of him.

And when he played the first song (Blues Sissi: young man blues), he had me under control within seconds. I was totally flashed by his guitar playing. To be honest, I had not expected such an enormous art. His playing style, his feeling and his sound simply let my jaw fall down. In these moments he had a new fan. And that is rather rare for me. And 'ne coole Sau isser auch“ with his maroon velvet suit (or whatever substance it was. Hey, I'm not a tailor, so forgive me if I am completely wrong). (Blues Sissi: I forgive him, suit was some shiny satin/silk fabric and google can't translate everything but "ne coole Sau" means a very cool guy)

Btw. Spotted VIP visitor Thomas Blug in the audience.

Joe often changed from a Les Paul to another and back again. Long driven ballads, played with incredible feeling and real groovy blues-rock alternated some 90 minutes ever again. I was really excited, also from the rest of the band. (Blues Sissi: yes.) And the audience felt the same way and would not let Joe finish the gig without an encore. They had not to ask him long and the gig ended with a "big thank you" to the audience. (Blues Sissi: as Bibi already said, the crowd made the hell of a noise to get Joe back on stage again and we were persistant enough, cause the DJ alread took over with music. But one couldn't ignore the "We want more" of thousands of voices, a newspaper in Bonn said about 3.500 people.) The band was obviously in good spirits and threw sticks and guitar picks and took some pictures of us. (Blues Sissi: and someone throw his sun glasses.  cool )

Approx. 7:35 , the stage crew had to prepare everything for the last gig of the evening.

The highlight of the evening was imminent.

3rd set: Jeff Beck

The audience’s mood heated more and more, for Jeff was long time coming, even though the stage has been ready well some 30 minutes. ‚Jeff Beck’ choirs sounded again and again and finally it was time. Jeff and the band came on stage and the enthusiasm in the audience knew no bounds. The man has an aura you nearly get a goose-flash. Something magical, that is probably due to decades of his uncommonly musical career. And there he is, the man who was on stage together with nearly all the great musicians of the planet.

Jeff strapped on his Stratocaster and let the strat „sing“ in the truest sense of the word. Hammer, what this man brings to the sound of a guitar. Musical enjoyment of its absolute best with a sound that give me chills down my spin. At some point someone once said to me ‚Jeff would be the Mozart of guitarists’. You can define it the way you want, but he is not completely wrong.

I have to give a special mention to Narada Michael Walden on drums. (Blues Sissi: That guy signed my ticket and a plastic cup someone gave me.) The whole evening he had a grin on his face (Blues Sissi: like Rick and the rest of us) as if it were the gig of his life. Groove in abundance and technically simply first class. Rhonda Smith on bass, many years on the road with Prince, with a superb solo part just in front of me. (Blues Sissi: „Rollin’ and tumblin“. That bass solo was mind-blowing. Unbelievable what Rhonda did with her thumbs on the bass and her voice.) Absolutely great this woman on the bass. Too bad that the man on the keyboard remained in the background, even if he had a huge console and made the sound for the Museum Square all alone with "people get ready".

All in all, it was a great performance, good music in a class of 90 minutes to beat, and frenetically celebrated by the audience.

Thank you very much Eva, you're a star!
This review pretty much sums it up for all of us who where there  cool

Here's a link to some very cool pictures a friend of mine (Harald Lipp) took:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/alb … 0230735636

Two very special vids about Joe's baby nr.12 are on their way to London and San Diego right now for editing. I'll let the star actors decide for themselves to post or not  smile

RickB wrote:
bibi wrote:

Thanx again Pete!
Sissy and I were very happy that Bird was on this setlist!
The day before it wasn't....

+1 Pete. Even tho you don't get it, others do. And vid #1 was brilliant. Young Man's Blues is such a great opener, and the opening back zoom from my shirt is  cool . You sure have the artist's eye. And YES! I was smiling a lot, and still can't wipe that S**t Eating Grin off my face thinking about one of the high points of any man's life.

The party at the Biergarten on the Rhine Sunday evening followed by the midnight guided tour of deserted old Bonn. Then the unveiling of the Bonaburst in our room with Suzanne's smuggled amp cranking and us wondering when hotel security would burst in at 1:30 am.  lol The  touring of old Bonn the next day where we all kept bumping into one another. The pre show party at the Biergarten with a big group of Bonamaniacs meeting and getting primed for one unreal show!

Every minute, every mile , every cent.... the road trip of our dreams. Such friends and such music. WOW!
Whoda thunk when I first logged on to this forum just 9 months ago it would have lead to this...and more to come!
Still grinning with memories and hopes of times to come and more  forum friends to meet.  big_smile

I've sure got it bad.
Life is so good right now. Pinch Me!

Rick

edit..lots of pix to post, soon.

PINCH  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile

Wow what an amazing concert this must have been and so cool for Joe to be there performing on same stage as Jeff Beck!  cool

Loved seeing the pics & vids. Thanks for sharing the links.  big_smile

Glo

Joe makes me feel his music & soul with his performances. He will be a legend!

Suzanne wrote:

Here's a link to some very cool pictures a friend of mine (Harald Lipp) took:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/alb … 0230735636

Two very special vids about Joe's baby nr.12 are on their way to London and San Diego right now for editing. I'll let the star actors decide for themselves to post or not  smile

Still refused to register at facebook, but now I have do do it this weekend.
Want to see these pics...
Curiosity killed the cat.

...the first of the JB`s... Jimmy Bowskill... from the Bonn gig!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ5iXaqsYZ0

...look forward to seeing this young man again!

R. Buckminster Fuller

Here is another picture of my swag from Bonn. Tee included Jane.  smile
http://picasaweb.google.com/Elexmage/20 … 9088677266
Rick