Topic: Blackberry Smoke

I've been doing some research recently of southern rock bands influenced by Lynyrd Skynyrd (specifically LS's band before the crash in '77) and found some worthy contenders.  Tishamingo, Whiskey Myers and Blackberry Smoke were the three that stood out.  Tishamingo's "Are We Rollin'" and WM's "Road of Life" are two songs that Ronnie Van Zant and Steve Gaines woulda been proud to play.  That said, the real players here are unquestionably Blackberry Smoke.  Their latest album Little Bit of Dixie just oozes kicka** rock -  southern style.  LBOD is one of those albums guaranteed to shorten your drive.  What's incredible is the number of great songs.  This is an album you turn up to 11 and pray you don't pop your ears.  Best song?  Well I would've said it's "Prayer For the Little Man" which is probably the band's "Stairway to Heaven", but songs like "I be Lyin?", "Freedom Song", "Restless", "Good One Coming On" and the rest are all great songs.
I'm sure there's many here aware of this masterpiece, but if you're not and you love good old Fashioned rock then check it out.

Re: Blackberry Smoke

Curby,

I've posted about Blackberry Smoke in the past. They are a fantastic live band. I saw them open for ZZ Top and saw them do a solo gig at the Scandy Corn Roast in Wi. Great bunch of guys. Plan on catching them this August at Shank Hall and the Scandy Corn Roast. Great great band.

When I was a child I spoke as a child, But all I heard was how I should get ahead,
Now growing up it ain't anything but all This indecision with these debts and doubts
And worries hanging over my head. When I was a child I spoke as a child,
I wish I could remember what I said.

I just caught these guys today on the "Audience" channel on my dish and was impressed with them. Good 'ol southern rock band. Think I'll grab some of their albums and throw 'em on to my I-pod. Enjoyed this tune:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHGMCbVC … ata_player

Why don't we eliminate all the warning labels and let things sort themselves out?

I caught Blackberry Smoke on Palladia playin' live @ a festival and totally enjoyed them. The lead guitarist gets it, right down to the Duane Allman mutton chops.

Rock The Vote,

J Dawg

What is success? Is it do yo' own thang, or is it to join the rest?   -Allen Toussaint

More of interest to forum member in the UK; I believe on Friday 13th BBC 4 are doing an evening of programmes dedicated to "Southern Rock" at the BBC. Obviously featuring Allman Brothers, Lynyrd Skynyrd and Charlie Daniel's Band, but who knows what else they'll find in the archive. 

I'll either be watching or recording - Nimmo Brothers playing Darlington that night....

Mike

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

I can't quite figure these guys out.

Live they sound like the second coming of the next greatest southern rock band but then when I listen to a studio cut, it's just a little to country for my taste.

BansheeUK wrote:

More of interest to forum member in the UK; I believe on Friday 13th BBC 4 are doing an evening of programmes dedicated to "Southern Rock" at the BBC. Obviously featuring Allman Brothers, Lynyrd Skynyrd and Charlie Daniel's Band, but who knows what else they'll find in the archive. 

I'll either be watching or recording - Nimmo Brothers playing Darlington that night....

Mike

BansheeUK wrote:

Mike

Don't miss the Nimmos, especially if you haven't seen them before.  There are a ton of great Southern Rock bands besides the ones mentioned.  Go to the tape.....

the Smoke will be here in Birmingham first of May for the annual Schaffer Eye Clinic Crawfish Boil. I want to see them but son does not want to go after I told him who else is in the lineup of artists. Who wants to see a Jane's Addiction remake/rehash, or Megadeath, and some rappers? They try to do the mass appeal thing rather than one or two genres. It's also quite pricey since the proceeds go to charity of some sort. and I don't do mudbugs at all.

Tres

As corn through a goose, so are the days of our lives

I have seen these guys several times and they never disappoint. Do not pass up the chance to catch them.

When I was a child I spoke as a child, But all I heard was how I should get ahead,
Now growing up it ain't anything but all This indecision with these debts and doubts
And worries hanging over my head. When I was a child I spoke as a child,
I wish I could remember what I said.

Susan and I are watching a dvr recording from their Palladia concert from the Georgia theater. These guys are the real deal. To me kind of a cross between the Black Crowes and The Band, but with heavier guitars. Two really good guitar players, who do the dual harmony leads, slide, great songs, what's not to like? Check em out! cool

They are going to be at a music festival near me in June. I have not seen them play yet, looking forward to it.

Jim

I just got the live DVD Live At The Georgia Theatre 2011  too and must say that it smokes!

Great band, great DVD!

13 (edited by Rockfarmer 2013-02-12 14:58:59)

Channel surfing this past Saturday and I stop on Palladia and there's this bunch of long haired musicians playing southern rock like it's supposed to be played.  The band turns out to be Blackberry Smoke live at the Georgia Theater. Damn, these guys are good...really good, not much to look at, but boy can they play.  I think the CD fairy will be delivering their music to my humble abode in the very near future.

andre wittebroek wrote:

I just got the live DVD Live At The Georgia Theatre 2011  too and must say that it smokes!

Great band, great DVD!

Like the Dvd, but the interview are anoying...

ken wrote:

Susan and I are watching a dvr recording from their Palladia concert from the Georgia theater. These guys are the real deal. To me kind of a cross between the Black Crowes and The Band, but with heavier guitars. Two really good guitar players, who do the dual harmony leads, slide, great songs, what's not to like? Check em out! cool

Black Crows have a history, it was the Crows lead singer who penned the name "Blackberry Smoke".

Honours go to Reverend Paul & Curby for giving the shout about this band. As Kenny has already said in the London Gig Guide, the sole London show in November has been announced and sold out in the space of a day (but the Blackberry guys have a pair of tickets up for grabs, see website for details).

Also; for fans in Europe:-
"The wait is over, Europe. THE WHIPPOORWILL will be released in Europe through Earache Records on February 17th, 2014. The European release will include an exclusive bonus song, "Country Side of Life", as well as bonus live material. Stay tuned for more information and don't forget to sign up for our international mailing list HERE to stay up to date. "

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...