Re: Is this another JB copy

StewartW wrote:

I guess the PG in V100mrpgm stands for "Plays Great" must be that, it couldn't possibly stand for Peter Green, could it!!! lol

I thought it was V100M(ust)R(emember)P(elt)G(ary)M(oore)   wink

Fender 60's Strat>Fulltone OCD V4>>TC Electronics Polytune>Orange Dual Terror>Torres 2x10 Cab(with a vintage 30 and a greenback)

StewartW wrote:

Build quality: top knob on the pickup selector

haha that happened on mine. lovley aged parts and then a ill fitting bright white switch tip smile 50p later and i had it all matching again.

Fender 60's Strat>Fulltone OCD V4>>TC Electronics Polytune>Orange Dual Terror>Torres 2x10 Cab(with a vintage 30 and a greenback)

39 (edited by Ruben O. 2010-09-07 13:59:10)

I also Got this v100 jb today and quite franqly I´m really dissapointed the neck is thin has hell and it just doesen't fell right on you rhands.. ( fells cheap and plastic ) the relicing is not that bad on the front of the guitar ( apart from the screw that is under the pickgard that scratched the lovely goldtop finish could anybody confirm this too see if its just my lp that has this ??? you just have to remove pickgard and see if there is an litlle hole like somebody tried to put a crew on the guitar  bellow the bridge pickup ) and the back of the guitar the relicing is really really bad looking .. if anybody wants a to have a copy of joe's lp plz wait for the epi cause this is not worth it.. don´t do the same mistake i did when i orderd this guitar..

Still i will try to set it up better and see if it play smoother

The sound of the guitar isn't bad at all but it feels so bad that i don´t even what to play it sad

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

THAT's what JB stands for!!!! Jazz/Blues!!!!  lol  Man, all this time I thought it stood for something else!  cool

I think it stand for Junk Box. That cutaway is a pretty dead giveaway. further, that player in the demo is shite. At least get someone who can play a basic pentatonic solo. Yeesh.

Billion81 wrote:
NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

THAT's what JB stands for!!!! Jazz/Blues!!!!  lol  Man, all this time I thought it stood for something else!  cool

I think it stand for Junk Box. That cutaway is a pretty dead giveaway. further, that player in the demo is shite. At least get someone who can play a basic pentatonic solo. Yeesh.

Man, I hate those friggin Vintage guitar copies. Not only are they garbage, they have the most annoying ad campaign ever. Every time I oppen Guitarist mag I see their adds, with a bunch of nobody's advertising their garbage. It's like - 'you think I'm going to buy one of these planks cause some guy in a Guns and Roses tribute band plays one'?
Sad

Guitars: 95 Les Paul Standard, Relic Strat,
Amps: 1973 Marshall JMP 50 head and Vintage Modern Cab. I use no effects other than a Cry Baby on occasions.

HI Guys/Gals..I'm a newbee here smile , so hope this reply comes out in the right place..

In regards to the Vintage Gold Top Icon (JBM). I thought I'd add my bit....just had one delivered(yesterday) and spent last evening and today setting it up and comparing it to another guitar..mainly a VINTAGE V100 Gold Top (Basic Model)....in case anyone thinks I just have "budget guitars", I should let you know I'm a full time guitar teacher and I set up guitars for a living..also own a 2006 Gibson Les Paul Std, Dean Leslie West USA (Ltd Edition of 100),1973 Strat, Gibson Studio 1992(Full weight)..and a few others..TOO MANY others!!

Anyway..I got the Vintage V100 GT(P90's) in for a guitar pupil for his birthday, as a present from his parents, and was REALLY impressed by the weight,feel and tone of the guitar...easily the best budget LP i've ever come across and close to Gibbo feel..seriously! yikes ...blows away ANY LP Epiphone I've ever come across.

...as a result of this 1st impression of the standard V100GT, I came across the JBM Inspired ICON model and thought, if it's anything like the BASIC model, it'll be great as a knock about guitar at home or gigs and I don't have to worry about scratching my Gibbo!!...it also has humbuckers. I didn't buy it because of the "Joe B" reference,but 'cos it was a Gold Top with Humbuckers

..1st impression on the JBM was that it is NOTICEABLY lighter  sad than the standard model and the neck is much thinner sad ..so it can't just be a roughed up V100GT!! (I have digital scales on order as mine died recently, so can't give accurate figure..would guess 2lbs lighter). Thin neck was a dissapointment hmm ; I liked the "thicker" V100GT(thicker than a 60's, but thinner than a 50's), but the relicing was smooth and comfy..can live with it for now. Body is heavily worn, and IMOH, too much relicing..but again, that doesn't really bother me.The biggest setback for me,personally, is it lacks the full tone(strummed acoustically;no amp) I got from the Standard Model(full weight). I don't know if the body is chambered..it certainy sounds "less dense" when tapped and the un-amplified tone is "middly" and a bit dull. However, I have stung it with Daddaro 11-49's + done the wrap-over tailpice method, whereas the basic V100GT has 10-46's and strung thro the "usual" way.

In my opinion, so far, if you're on a budget and after a great tone,full weight and bigger neck, get a standard VINTAGE V100 and ruff it up yourself!..the JMB "Inspired" ICON model isn't bad for the price(around £250..don't pay any more!), but it's not gonna sound anything like a Gibbo; at least in it's basic state...even if Joe plays it!

Hope to pop to mates studio soon (ill at moment..cough!! splutter!!) and crank it through his Bogner Ubershal and do direct comparison with my Gibbo Standard, early next week..will let you know!!

PS If the Epi "Joe B" model ever arises, JOE,please get them to use quality woods,solid tops,proper size necks + fitting neck joints!!!

Well I am super stoked,my Epiphone JB is one order. big_smile My Jerm V is smiling down. cool